What are you currently playing?

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
I am now about 9 hours into the GoT Iki Island expansion.

Honestly, the experience has been great so far. I thought it was just gonna be killing more mongols, but I was surprised with how personal this journey has been for Jin. Him reflecting both his parents was really interesting, and sometimes heartbreaking. In the main game Yuriko the caretaker explained how Jin's father Kazumasa was less rigid than Lord Shimura. But during the memory sequence, it seems Kazumasa was still strick in his own way. He was also kinda brutal and didn't show mercy during the invasion. Maybe that's where Jin gets his Ghost side from, but instead directing his brutality against the Mongols?

Kinda wish we got to see more of Jin's mother, though. She sounds like a witty, funny, gentle, and wise woman

I love the new armor! The ability to keep going after perfect parry is awesome.
Well it took three more hours and now the expansion is done!

I really liked the ending here. Jin finally seems to have a closure on his guilt and struggle. And I like to think this is how his story ended

Those shrines referencing other PS games were awesome! The Kratos paint looks so fucking good!

Don't really have the energy to go for new game +, though.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Street Fighter Alpha 3 Upper (GBA) - I slept on this version of Alpha 3. I really wish I got this back on the GBA. Great news is that I am playing this on the Myoo. This version, along with the PSP version are the most content rich. The only thing the GBA version lacks is the reverse dramatic battle and World Tour Mode. Otherwise, it has more going for it than the PS1 and Sega Saturn version technically.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
After poking around some different games to find one that grabbed me, I started Little Nightmares 2, because I really enjoyed Little Nightmares. And while it makes me anxious to play Little Nightmares, I just fucking love the surreal creepy fucking vibe the whole game gives off. And Little Nightmares 2....it's pretty much more of that from what I've noticed. Well, it's not entirely the same thing. While the first game was set entirely in a large ship/submarine/floating thing called The Maw, this game seems to have a larger variety of locations. So instead of one big building thingy, LN 2 starts in a dark forest and eventually leads into a decrepit mostly abandoned city that looks like it's about to fall over at any point and most of the population seems to have just...vanished. Like you find empty shoes and clothes all over(like everyone was raptured or something) but very few people. Also creepy TVs that apparently can suck people in or something.

The other big different is that early in the game your character, a little boy named mono with a paper bag on his head(because reasons) meets another child who accompanies him along the way and I'm almost completely sure this is six, the little girl protagonist from LN(except without her bright yellow raincoat). So a number of puzzles involve Mono and Six helping each other traverse obstacles and out of trouble. Six also occasionally gives you non-verbal hints of what to do next if you take too long or seem to be struggling(like she'll start poking at a thing you need to interact with if you seem to be struggling figuring out how to progress). There's also small quality of life features like characters putting keys in their pockets so you don't have to carry the key around manually until you reach a lock(bigger objects still need to be dragged/carried around through)

So basically, so far anyway, if you like Little Nightmares, you'll probably like Little Nightmares 2 because it's picking up where the first game left off(well, not plot wise, but everything else feels really similar).

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Well it took three more hours and now the expansion is done!

I really liked the ending here. Jin finally seems to have a closure on his guilt and struggle. And I like to think this is how his story ended

Those shrines referencing other PS games were awesome! The Kratos paint looks so fucking good!

Don't really have the energy to go for new game +, though.
Ghost of Tsushima set the new standard for me on 3rd person single player action adventure games.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
Ghost of Tsushima set the new standard for me on 3rd person single player action adventure games.
Oh for real! GOW too! And Baldur's Gate 3 set pretty high standards for fantasy RPG games, enough to make some devs cry over it.

For my next game, I can't believe I am saying this, but I am going back to Diablo 4. I heard the new season fixed the loot problem, so I have been meaning to check it out. But it's only gonna be for like two builds, as Elden Ring DLC is dropping soon.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
From now until next monday, there's another Next Fest going on Steam, with a whole bunch of demos.

Some stuff I tried already:
Bo: Path of the Teal Lotus
It's Hollow Knight, but with Japanese folklore like Kami and stuff. Ok, it's not exactly the same as Hollow Knight, but there are a lot of mechanical similarities like being using your staff to pogo off enemies to stay airborne, and also a kind of bouncy mushroomrs (but not off spikes). And a heal you have to hold down a button for and wait a few seconds before it procs and which you can recharge by hitting enemies. But it does some different things too, like a combo meter that goes up so long as you keep pogo'ing without touching the ground and which can empower your summons (this game's version of the magic attacks) if you get it high enough. Also seems to have way more rest/save points so you don't have to the long treks every time you die like in Hollow Knight. Silksong probably won't release anytime soon, so this might fill that niche while we wait.

Schim
Kind of weird puzzle game where you're a black blob thing that lives inside a guy's shadow, until you get separated and the game seems to be you trying to get back to that guy by jumping from shadow to shadow. Got a neat minimalist artstyle, tho gameplay seems a little easy and shallow, tho that might be because the demo is only the really early game. Based on the demo, I'm not really sold on it.

Demonschool
It's Persona, but with a 60s-70s Italian horror cinema vibe and isometric sort of Nintendo DS-esque pixel art visuals with character art that reminds me a bit of Go Nagai. It's got the school setting, days divided into a morning/daytime/everning, events you can participate which also advance time, party members you can hang out with to strenghten your bond, so, you know, all the Persona stuff. Combat is very different tho, and more like a tactics game that's all about using your abilities to position your party and the enemies to set up combo to maximize damage and take out a many in one as possible. Reminds me of Into The Breach. Supposed to release on September 13th, appropriately a friday. Tho I do hope the game is actually already finished and they're mostly focusing on polish now, because the demo seems kind of jank and buggy. Will likely pick this up sometime.

Demo's I've yet to give a go:
Metal Slug Tactics: it's Metal Slug as a strategy rpg
Parcel Corps: supposedly a mix of Jet Set Radio and Craxy Taxi
Conscript: old school survival horror with isometric viewpoint set in the WW1 trenches
Sky Oceans: Wings for Hire: looks like a Skies of Arcadia spiritual successor

Last edited:

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Best part of Persona 5 is sitting there for 15 minutes trying to solve mistranslated math problems.

Capture.JPG

Also, apparently the Japanese government doesn't mint both paper and coin currencies because it "caused confusion in the economy." What the heck does that mean?! I thought the class said there was massive inflation, not confusion.

Last edited:

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
My third or fourth attempt to play Ori and the Blind Forest, the game at the top of my list of games I actually feel bad for quitting. I love everything about this game except for how bad I am at platforming and how much of this game is really a series of platforming challenges. But it was on sale for 4.99 and I got a nice new laptop and spare dual sense controller and nothing else I'm really feelin' to play so if not now, then never.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Played more demos

Blade Chimera
Another metroidvania from the folks that did Touhou Luna Nights and Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth. This time you're some kind of sci-fi demon hunter going around killing yokai and such. It's got great sprite art and animation, it sounds good, it controls well, but aside from that, it doesn't really do anything to make it stand out from the swathes of other metroidvanias out there. Filing this under "maybe on a deep sale".

Sky Oceans: Wings for Hire
Jrpg set in a world of airships and sky islands, obviously inspired by Skies of Arcadia. But boy is it rough. Camera doesn't control very well. Characters barely animate. Objective markers that don't work properly. Tutorial popups filled placeholder text. And an assortment of bugs and glitches. Physical copies are listed for release on 18 september, but I seriously doubt they'll make that. It honestly feels pre-alpha.

Reactions: meiam and BrawlMan

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Finished cyberpunk 2077 DLC main story. The DLC is awesome for everything it add, but the main plot is pretty disappointing and just feel flat entirely for me. But on the bright side, one of the ending has you go trough a cool location that's straight out of Akira, so thats pretty rad.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
My third or fourth attempt to play Ori and the Blind Forest, the game at the top of my list of games I actually feel bad for quitting. I love everything about this game except for how bad I am at platforming and how much of this game is really a series of platforming challenges. But it was on sale for 4.99 and I got a nice new laptop and spare dual sense controller and nothing else I'm really feelin' to play so if not now, then never.
I enjoyed it up until the escape sequences, at which point I think I ended up turning the difficulty down to actually complete them lest my thumbs fall off. The rest of the game I could play on normal difficulty but in the escape sequences I needed the extra time and checkpoints to finish them.

Luckily I have no shame.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Started up Elden Ring second playthrough, gotta kill Mohg before the dlc. Not that it will take that long, but I also plan on doing a rebirth thing for my character and changing up my stats, gonna do a magic thing, which I never do in souls likes. I kinda beat Elden Ring with a weak build. STR with enough endurance for med armor and I mainly used axes.

Also beat Cookie Cutter, pretty good, much more combat then I'm used too from Metroidvanias, but really nice animation, but it does end with a kinda cliff hanger, like the direct story is pretty finished but its got a really direct lead into a sequel.

Reactions: FakeSympathy

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
I enjoyed it up until the escape sequences, at which point I think I ended up turning the difficulty down to actually complete them lest my thumbs fall off. The rest of the game I could play on normal difficulty but in the escape sequences I needed the extra time and checkpoints to finish them.

Luckily I have no shame.
I thought you couldn't change the difficulty once you start? I remembered that and looked it up to confirm. A change they made perhaps?
That's why I just have been playing on Easy from the start this time. My goal is to just complete the damn game. I just finished a real interesting but extremely difficult (for me) sequence where you have to sort of fly around in weird gravity and the controls are different every jump.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Finished cyberpunk 2077 DLC main story. The DLC is awesome for everything it add, but the main plot is pretty disappointing and just feel flat entirely for me. But on the bright side, one of the ending has you go trough a cool location that's straight out of Akira, so thats pretty rad.
I'm considering Cyberpunk as my next "big" game (i.e., couch/console/big TV). One the one hand it's fps gameplay which I'm not fond of but on the other hand that's what easy mode is for and I love the Witcher so there's gotta be some fun quests in there.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
I'm considering Cyberpunk as my next "big" game (i.e., couch/console/big TV). One the one hand it's fps gameplay which I'm not fond of but on the other hand that's what easy mode is for and I love the Witcher so there's gotta be some fun quests in there.
The game is really easy, one of its main weakness.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
V-Rising. Admittedly it wasn't an impressive start, though by the time I defeated an over-leveled corpse-pile monster - who wouldn't move off some prime real estate I'd made plans to relocate castle to - not with combat or violence, but literal cowardly gentrification by sneakily building walls n floors from a safe distance to usher them away before walling myself in to complete the project unharassed, the game had endeared itself.

Ok, slight complication with the monster...it popped up from the fermented bowels of hell again during a renovation, or more specifically the removal of a single wall during the renovation. So the wall has to stay, and a secured room is now built around it nobody is allowed to enter. You hear me? Stay away from the useless room of mysteries!

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Guess what, played more demos

One Btn Bosses
Lives up to its name. You use one button and you fight bosses. Way it works is there's a stationary boss while you're a little ship moving in one direction on a rail and firing automatically. When you press the one button, you reverse direction, and this is how you dodge the boss' attacks. But the longer you keep moving in the same direction, the faster you start firing, so it becomes this balance between avoiding damage while maximizing your own dps. Later on you can unlock other weapons and movement types like a bullet you spawn further down the rail which you can only fire once you catch up to it but also gets more powerful the longer it's out, or a dash move that can pass through boss attacks but require meter that slowly replenishes. Quite the short demo, but it's a fun concept and I quite liked it.

Parcel Corps
Based off the trailer it's Jet Set Radio meets Crazy Taxi, and, well, that's exactly what it is. You're bike courier and you deliver packages against a time limit while using ramps, wall ride, rail grinds and other such trick to optimize your route. It's arcade-y, it has a nice colorful sort of comic book-ish art style, the obligatory groovy and eclectic soundtrack, and the controls honestly have better handling than JSR or any of its spiritual successors. What's not to love? The performance, that's what. Maybe it's because the demo is still an alpha, or it just didn't like my setup, but it stuttered like all hell. I actually found it unplayable and quit, so bad. If that's fixed, this could be a winner. They should be able to manage that by, let's see here, ah yes, early september release. So, eh, crunch time?

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
It's Steam nextfest, so I've decided to try out Talis of Iron 2 demo.

It's more or less the same game as the first one, but now the setting is in winter region w/ bats as your main enemies. The combat is all about dodging or parrying at the right time, and they give you plenty of window to do both even on the highest difficulty. The problem is, the enemies sometimes delay their attacks, which completely throws you off if you are coming from the Sekiro/Jedi Fallen Order type of game play. Still really fun once you get down the rhythm.

The game is once again in metroidvania-format, and it still has fall damage. This just feels wrong; I mean in Salt and Sanctuary it was okay because that was a 2d souls game, but here due to fall damage you have to carefully drop down, and make sure not to make any unnecessary jumps. If the platform is slightly lower than the one you jumped from, you take a fall damage. It seriously slow downs the traversal.

The artstyle is still fantastic, soundtrack is awesome, and it is once again narrated by Geralt of Rivia. I will probably get it at the launch.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Did anyone here play the New Pokemon Snap game? I guess it's been a couple years, but I'm just curious if it was actually any good.