What are you currently playing?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Never played the DMC series so can't comment, but yeah that would make sense.
If you don't want to read the spoiler, I understand, but basically: Nero was trying to prevent his father (Vergil) and Dante (uncle) from killing each other in this powerful scene.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Never played the DMC series so can't comment, but yeah that would make sense. I spared him mostly because I just don't like killing people when given the choice not to. especially when it's clearly over something as dumb as "honor" like it's presented in that game. Jin's response as to why he didn't kill him was pretty perfect for me. "I don't kill family." I was like, yep, that checks out. Well done Jin.
Not sure of the context there, but if one family member is doing more harm to several others who don’t deserve it, then I personally have no qualms making exceptions in a one bad apple type of deal.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Not sure of the context there, but if one family member is doing more harm to several others who don’t deserve it, then I personally have no qualms making exceptions in a one bad apple type of deal.
Well the context is as follows:
Spoiler for the climax of Ghost of Tsushima
Jin has to duel his uncle because of the actions he took as the Ghost, in the war against the mongols. When you win the fight, you are given the choice of either killing your uncle, to save "honor" via the old Samurai/Bushido junk, that values life less than honor, or spare him. If you spare him Jin's response is "I may have no honor, but I do not kill my family." He then leaves. Since the only reason they are fighting to the death, is over societal expectations of honor, and the killing of his uncle helpless at the end is for the same reason, I'm behind Jin's idea of not killing. Because I find that kind of thought process pretty stupid, so I avoid it. If it was something like his uncle was a mad tyrant, determined to destroy the country, ok sure, kill him if there is no chance of redemption. But his uncle doesn't WANT to kill him, he feels obligated to do so, due to "Honor". So it's a pointless death in my opinion. Thus, don't kill him.

Now the point you made about "doing harm to others" could be justified, given at least one example from the game. Where Jin's uncle takes an action that will cause a lot of soldiers to die, and Jin objects due to the strategy being based on "honor" and not preserving the lives of the soldiers. But it IS war, so it's a fuzzy point of "I lead my troops at the enemy in a way that got us killed, but it was honorable" versus "I sent them to die, because screw it, we have more disposable soldiers" Uncle's mentality about the situation was definitely Option 1 for motivation, so personally I'd be less inclined to kill him as a "mad dog" because his actions didn't indicate that mentality. It's fuzzy but, yeah.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
I half expected you to criticize the map system, if only because that seems to be the one big thing it gets hit for by a lot of people. I personally think it's fine but I know a lot of people disagree on that.

Did you do the godmaster/carnival troupe content or just finish the main game? What ending(s) did you end up getting?
Only did the main game, saved the DLC stuff for a potential replay. Decided to at least do the true ending though.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Only did the main game, saved the DLC stuff for a potential replay. Decided to at least do the true ending though.
The True boss The Radiance feels like an epic finale, becuase otherwise the final boss just feels like a joke if you didn't go for the true ending(or you fought The Hollow Knight before you went through the legwork to set up the true ending. On the downsides, you have to get through the White Palace and for me that was one of the most frustrating bits of the entire game because of how sparse healing is in there.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
The True boss The Radiance feels like an epic finale, becuase otherwise the final boss just feels like a joke if you didn't go for the true ending(or you fought The Hollow Knight before you went through the legwork to set up the true ending. On the downsides, you have to get through the White Palace and for me that was one of the most frustrating bits of the entire game because of how sparse healing is in there.
The White Palace wasnt the problem. If I remember correctly, you also had to go back and collect from certain newly popped up characters. I just noped and watched the real ending on Youtube

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Finished Luigi's Mansion again. My file now reads 6 completions, but I think I might have done one on another memory card when I was young and didn't understand what the number meant. I really love this game. The atmosphere, style, and concept more than make up for the couple of gameplay and story niggles that are present. It's fun being a ghostbuster. I'm shocked more games haven't explored the concept. Doing little puzzles to capture the varied portrait ghosts was fun. Also sucking up vast piles of coins and treasure was a lot of fun. Actually just using the vacuum in general was great, and fairly unique in gaming, and it was just cool how much you could interact with the environment with it. Sucking up the little dust clouds that you kick up just made the whole thing feel real. The game is too easy though. I got all the gold frames and the only one that gave me trouble was Boolossus. I know that the PAL version adds a lot of difficulty features into the "hidden mansion" (I could never figure out what the heck this was supposed to mean as a kid before the internet), but I don't have that one.

It's too bad that Dark Moon wasn't nearly as good. The atmosphere was more goofy, it was broken up by levels, and there weren't any unique ghosts to catch. It was an ok game, but kind of disappointing compared to the first. I think what I'd like to see for a new game in the series is to see Luigi go full in on the ghost hunting business and handle house calls. You could do a bunch of smaller stories about the ghosts you are hunting and the Mushroom Kingdom residents you are helping. Looting wouldn't work anymore, but I think you could tell a cool story with that framework, and you could have "levels" without breaking up the gameplay. Just free explore until you clear the house of spooks.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
The White Palace wasnt the problem. If I remember correctly, you also had to go back and collect from certain newly popped up characters. I just noped and watched the real ending on Youtube
I remember having to awaken the dream nail, which required beating at least 2 of the optional dream bosses, collect 2 halves of the kings soul and then get the void soul. There might have been more as well but it's been a few months now.

Unless you're thinking of the Grim Troupe, which does have new characters.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
I remember having to awaken the dream nail, which required beating at least 2 of the optional dream bosses, collect 2 halves of the kings soul and then get the void soul. There might have been more as well but it's been a few months now.
I only remember having to do one of them Lost Kin, which is also where I started noticing that some of the hitboxes aren't fantastic, but I did do all seven Warrior Dreams as well.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Played Life Is Strange: Before the Storm episode 1 just now and thought, "Who still bootlegs DVDs?" Even if someone wanted to sell them in a school, most people just get everything over the internet. I remember how disappointed a coworker of mine seemed when I decided to bring my Ghostbusters Blu-ray for Secret Santa. These developers are out of touch. Would help their dialogue some if they were American. Now that I think of it, I'd totally play a Dontnod game set in France with French actors and English subtitles. Dubs for people who can't read. Filmmakers nearly always film in their own countries. I'd enjoy playing games that aren't all trying to be American.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Played Life Is Strange: Before the Storm episode 1 just now and thought, "Who still bootlegs DVDs?" Even if someone wanted to sell them in a school, most people just get everything over the internet. I remember how disappointed a coworker of mine seemed when I decided to bring my Ghostbusters Blu-ray for Secret Santa. These developers are out of touch. Would help their dialogue some if they were American. Now that I think of it, I'd totally play a Dontnod game set in France with French actors and English subtitles. Dubs for people who can't read. Filmmakers nearly always film in their own countries. I'd enjoy playing games that aren't all trying to be American.
I played the first LiS but haven't played the prequel or the sequel yet. How does "Before the Storm" compare to the first game so far? I get there's no time travel and it's the Chloe show this time around(so a lot of Ashley Burch swearing and sasing) but beyond that?

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
I picked up Control because it seemed like my kind of jam. It totally is, even when it’s kicking my teeth in.
The game difficulty keep increasing the longer you stay alive in that game, so you'll always reach a point where it'll kick your teeth in. If you want just day a couple of time in a row on purpose and that'll lower the difficulty.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
I played the first LiS but haven't played the prequel or the sequel yet. How does "Before the Storm" compare to the first game so far? I get there's no time travel and it's the Chloe show this time around(so a lot of Ashley Burch swearing and sasing) but beyond that?
I don't know yet. I've played one third.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
I was going to play Dragon Age: Inquisition, as I havent played it since the Trespasser DLC came out. Then I thought, hey, I might as well play Dragon Age 2, so I can lead into it. Then I thought, hey, I might as well play Dragon Age Origins, so I can lead into that.

So I guess I am starting my Dragon Age series playthrough?

After battling with EA support to get the game working (my DLC ownership had disappeared, and apparently EA couldn't verify that I actually owned the game), my first impressions were "God, this camera is horrible" and "Jesus, this game is hideous.". The UI doesnt even scale to 4K, so I am running around with tiny action bars and menus.

The combat is great. The story is great. The characters are fun, and well voiced. The music is great. Seemingly everything but the visual presentation is great. Im having fun, but god, this game is not a looker.

I just need to figure out if it bothers me enough to dig into modding.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Ok enough MK11 for a bit. Will probably come back to it once they release the next batch of characters or whatever Boon teased yesterday.

For now I’ve got to make more headway on getting the last hunting request done in RDR2. I nabbed the cedar waxwing and bluejay, so all that’s left is a bat, beaver and crow. I hear what sounds like crows all over the place but can rarely find them.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Did some online with SOR 4 last night. Mainly battle matches. Ever since the update, the online is a 1000 times better with rarely any lag. My S Rank Mania Run is finally completed too!

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
I'm always so eager to get in fights with David, the massive douche. Looking forward to the global results at the end of episode 2, just to see how many people actually emptied their pockets for him.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
62 percent of you emptied your pockets for him?! Didn't know gamers were such a submissive bunch.