Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Resident Evil VII

Very good. Spooked me out a couple of times despite already having seen the guest house section of the game several times. I think once you fight Chainsaw Girlfriend and meet the Bakers the game loses some of the initial atmosphere, but the sound design at work is fantastic. I like the heft of the axe and how it catches on the enviroment as well. Storywise it's a bit more engaging than Resident Evil's usual "Fuck about until you find a crank" but I'm sure we'll get to cranks and underground labs by the end. Herbs, lockpicks and item boxes already made their appearence. Also the most stupid cop in the world. The lest I find out about the Bakers the better.
Cranks are a national institute. You wouldn't want to put all those poor blokes who make the crank handles out of work now, would you?

Frost Punk

I did not realise this was created by the same guys as This War of Mine. But it makes sense.

The story line is really stupid. We’ve gone into an Ice Age. We moving from London to a better locale.... and we go North? What? And there is already a fully fledge massive generator built there ready for us? There are multiple generators? But no other buildings? I can’t build an appropriate cave? Why is there so much coal lying around? At least I’m burning enough coal to rectify the Ice Age.

Otherwise this game is fun. I don’t usually knock down the difficulty but I did for this one. I haven’t even finished a normal run yet. I also can’t understand how I sent out teams into the wilderness, no problems. But dig up some coal and now everyone has frostbite. The time on everything is very tight and I liked how you could make laws that improved the city. Like using child labor or dead bodies to keep the healthy people alive.

Fun game. Way more stressful than TWOM. None of the people have any personality though.
8/10

That being said. I bought it on special. And I can’t imagine why I’d spend money on the DLC. It’s way too expensive for such little content
Huh, I never knew it was the same developers. The gameplay is a fair bit more refined than This War of Mine, and I just found it a more interesting experience overall. They are both essentially games about watching meters fill up, but they had the good sense in Frostpunk to include a speed up feature so you can fast forward the boring bits. I actually really enjoyed watching a speedrun of Frostpunk too. Just looks marvelous when played competently without pausing, rather than my sloppy play and many deaths.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
The controls are good. They totally work within the rules of the game. Tank controls didn't bother me when I played the RE1 remake again a month ago, so I don't see why they should bother me in RE4 just because the camera is behind the character now. You still have much more control over your character's attacks than in RE1. The remake will undoubtedly be worse, not so much because of that, but because Capcom is incapable of making campaigns that expansive now, because graphics and production budgets have gotten so expensive. The RE2 remake was great, but also benefited from being short.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
This is a bit off-topic, but another example of a game with seemingly 'bad' controls that fit the rules and challenges of the game well (in my opinion, anyway) is the original Metal Gear Solid. I feel like that benefited a lot from its control scheme, being built entirely to work in tandem with it. It's why I don't like Twin Snakes very much: rebuilding all of MGS's rooms with MGS2's controls and mechanics just makes everything too easy. The battle against Revolver Ocelot, for instance, goes from a tense chase battle to 'just go into first person and shoot him a lot'. The tranquilizer gun also goes completely against the first game's story, with one line in particular that's a major end-game spoiler that just doesn't work if you use the M9 for everything.

It's why I don't really want a Fox Engine remake of Metal Gear Solid, either, or at least not another one like Twin Snakes. They'd have to do some pretty major changes to make it work, like a Resident Evil 2 remake level of changing stuff.

OT: Still playing Danganronpa 2, and realizing some new and interesting stuff about it. Though that's also stuff I can't get into without spoilers.

Reactions: Ezekiel

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
This is a bit off-topic, but another example of a game with seemingly 'bad' controls that fit the rules and challenges of the game well (in my opinion, anyway) is the original Metal Gear Solid. I feel like that benefited a lot from its control scheme, being built entirely to work in tandem with it. It's why I don't like Twin Snakes very much: rebuilding all of MGS's rooms with MGS2's controls and mechanics just makes everything too easy. The battle against Revolver Ocelot, for instance, goes from a tense chase battle to 'just go into first person and shoot him a lot'. The tranquilizer gun also goes completely against the first game's story, with one line in particular that's a major end-game spoiler that just doesn't work if you use the M9 for everything.

It's why I don't really want a Fox Engine remake of Metal Gear Solid, either, or at least not another one like Twin Snakes. They'd have to do some pretty major changes to make it work, like a Resident Evil 2 remake level of changing stuff.

OT: Still playing Danganronpa 2, and realizing some new and interesting stuff about it. Though that's also stuff I can't get into without spoilers.
Yeah, been thinking as well for a while now that another MGS1 remake is gonna be kind of pointless unless they change the level design and AI. I want to play Twin Snakes again in the future (partly to finally try out that Dolby Pro Logic II matrixed surround sound), but when the time comes I will try to do it without first person view (except for sniping) and without the tranq gun.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Bit the bullet and got PS+ sub for 1 month to try out the multiplayer part of Ghost of Tsushima: Legend. And, I gotta say I find it pretty fun. I'm playing primarily as a Ronin class, which is basically the closest you can have to a healer in that mode, but once you build him up with some abilities he's really damn good at support. Plus, he's still a sneaking assassin stabby stabby guy, so it's like they mooshed a white mage and a rogue together, so...kind of best of both worlds for me really xD

The survival mode is where Ronin shines, as it's all about endurance and ...well..surviving, so his healing abilities are incredibly useful. It reminds me of the multiplayer for ME 3 to an extent, at least the survival part. Waves upon waves attacking various defensive points you have to protect, though losing them in GoT will cause you to suffer max health penalties, which I don't recall being a thing in ME 3 multi.

In the story missions for Legends, it's less useful, but still helpful, as what you are doing in the story missions can change. Part 1 of a 3 part story might be sneaky sneaky, but then the final mission is a "defend this node" kind of fight, where sneaky just doesn't cut it, so heals would be nice. It's not that difficult to just solo th estory missions, as they are relatively doable solo, if you know what you are doing.

The quality of matchups for the survival quickplay is pretty standard. Your typical menagerie of competent players and bumbling fools, but for the most part, my teams have been good enough to win every match. I think I've only lost maybe...3 survival missions overall? And I'm currently running on Silver difficulty regularly. This might be because I'm playing support, and know what I'm doing, so I'm able to shore up the lack of skill on the other members' side, but, frankly they generally know what they are doing. Plus they are all very polite to the white mage and bow at me whenever I use my healing incense to top up their health, so that's always a plus.

But yeah, so far I'm enjoying it a lot, and my wife enjoys watching me run around playing Ninja White Mage in multiplayer. Not sure how long it will hold my interest, but I played it all day yesterday basically so....it's enjoyable so far.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
I beat the odds and got a 5-star weapon in Genshin impact.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
I haven't had time to keep up with Dragon Age: Origins, so I have put that on hold for the time being.

After absolutely smashing the Switch version of Hades for about a week, I picked up Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales on sale, which for those who are unaware, is The Witcher 3's Gwent card game (with an updated ruleset to match the standalone PvP game), but with a literal entire RPG built around it - oh how the tables turn.

The premise is that you play as a Queen Meve, who is leading her army around various locations in The Witcher's world, and when you get into a battle, instead of running around with a sword like in The Witcher 3, or controlling your army like in an RTS, the entire battle is played out as a game of cards. And it is very well done, too.

Not all battles play out the same. Some are the normal ruleset - best of 2, highest score wins. Some have reduced rounds - 1 round, highest score wins. Some have specific objectives, like destroying or protecting a specific unit, or getting a card from one side of the board to the other. And some are just straight up puzzles, with set decks, and you need to figure out the specific order of cards that you need to play, to win.

And because I own the game on Switch and PC, and I swap the save between the two devices (even if it is a little clunkier than I would have liked).

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
Right now, the only non-online game I'm playing is Little Hope. Honestly, it's an improvement in every way to Man of Medan. The facial capture is not as good as Until Dawn, but it doesn't feel nearly as uncanny as Man of Medan, the characters are all much more well-rounded, and the story itself feels more engaging. Definitely a slow burner, but one I'm willing to put the time into.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Untitled Goose Game.

Untitled Goose Game is a simple but effective concept. You are a Goose and your are wandering around a small English(British) town terrorizing the townspeople because....well, you're a goose and you're a jerk. You're given a series of objectives to accomplish for each part of the town in order to unlock the next part, but all the objectives are things like "Get someone wet", "Steal someone's keys", "Drop a bucket on someone's head", etc. So essentially pranking people but since you're a goose it feels more like griefing at times.

It essentially plays like a light puzzle game because as a goose, you can only move, honk and grab things with your beak(sometimes to carry and sometimes to manipulate). And that's it, there's not much more beyond "Go through the town, fulfill objectives that pretty much all involve pranking everyone for a few hours". I personally got a kick out of it but how much you enjoy it depends a lot of how much the idea appeals to you.

Reactions: gorfias

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Pacer.
It is a wipeout. Not a bad one either. I'd say its track variety and ship customisation is where it excels, as the super smooth Wipeout HD had a bit of an obsession with samey track aesthetics: perhaps a symptom of most the sourced games being limited by handheld power, leaving only like two or three actual memorable racing vistas.
Where it does less well is the music selection. Budget constraints could be the case as it is a cheaper deal than the average. They got the genre right at least, it's just the selection is fairly uninspired so far...nothing above vaguely acceptable beats which the sound mixing does its best to hide, that familiar videogames habit of making the music so quiet you got to halve every other sound level just to hear what it is, let alone appreciate the poor artists' work!
Otherwise, yeah, it'll do I guess.

Last edited:

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Pacer.
It is a wipeout. Not a bad one either. I'd say its track variety and ship customisation is where it excels, as the super smooth Wipeout HD had a bit of an obsession with samey track aesthetics: perhaps a symptom of most the sourced games being limited by handheld power, leaving only like two or three actual memorable racing vistas.
Where it does less well is the music selection. Budget constraints could be the case as it is a cheaper deal than the average. They got the genre right at least, it's just the selection is fairly uninspired so far...nothing above vaguely acceptable beats which the sound mixing does its best to hide, that familiar videogames habit of making the music so quiet you got to halve every other sound level just to hear what it is, let alone appreciate the poor artists' work!
Otherwise, yeah, it'll do I guess.
! Who cheap out on the music when making a wipeout game?! The gameplay is practically a visualizer for the soundtrack.

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

Jarrito3002

Elite Member
Jun 28, 2016
Country
United States
Right now I am back and forth with Ghost of Tsushima Legends on my ps4 and playing Sword on my Switch. My job has had me not playing much because we are understaffed but I was worked a lot of doubles and was able to get a whole week off of work so I it is game time.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
! Who cheap out on the music when making a wipeout game?! The gameplay is practically a visualizer for the soundtrack.
Is a shame, but only a mild one. The stuff ain't bad per se, just a little generic and forgettable. Music publishers are costly pits of greed, might as well get Dave down the pub to knock up a quick mixtape over the weekend instead! 😉

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Untitled Goose Game.

Untitled Goose Game is a simple but effective concept. You are a Goose and your are wandering around a small English(British) town terrorizing the townspeople because....well, you're a goose and you're a jerk. You're given a series of objectives to accomplish for each part of the town in order to unlock the next part, but all the objectives are things like "Get someone wet", "Steal someone's keys", "Drop a bucket on someone's head", etc. So essentially pranking people but since you're a goose it feels more like griefing at times.

It essentially plays like a light puzzle game because as a goose, you can only move, honk and grab things with your beak(sometimes to carry and sometimes to manipulate). And that's it, there's not much more beyond "Go through the town, fulfill objectives that pretty much all involve pranking everyone for a few hours". I personally got a kick out of it but how much you enjoy it depends a lot of how much the idea appeals to you.
Have you played Goat Simulator? Pretty fun but didn't keep my attention too long. Goose sounds similar but more structured (that you write one is actually tasked to do stuff). Might be more fun.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Have you played Goat Simulator? Pretty fun but didn't keep my attention too long. Goose sounds similar but more structured (that you write one is actually tasked to do stuff). Might be more fun.
I haven't but I might take a look at it. I assumed it was a joke game but then again so is Goose game and it was fun for the 3 or so hours I put into it.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I haven't but I might take a look at it. I assumed it was a joke game but then again so is Goose game and it was fun for the 3 or so hours I put into it.
My son was flabbergasted that he and a bunch of his buddies came over a while back. We have a ton of games yet all they wanted to play was that game. It is silly fun.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Been trying for the last couple of days to beat my record, but haven't even come close.

I do some stuff better, but overall make too many mistakes. Tried Axel's cab, which is faster, but harder to steer, giving me lower scores. I'm gonna need to remind myself where the train tunnels go. Been avoiding them completely.

I want a new one! More interiors to drive through, long hair fluttering in the wind, better physics, more music, custom soundtracks and maybe some type of weird competitive multiplayer where players steal each other's customers. Streets of Rage got its fourth game 26 years later. Now Sega should do Crazy Taxi.

I never played the third one, because it was only on Xbox and PC, and the PC version is apparently bad. Looking at the reception, though, it seems they screwed up the gameplay or something. I also think it sucks Crazy Taxi 2 was only on Dreamcast, because Dreamcast emulation sucks. Even if I liked it less than the original.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
It kinda reminds me of that game PAIN on PS3, but with a goat. Haven't tried it yet but did add it to my library when it was a PS+ game.