What are you currently playing?

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
I bought Subnautica Below Zero not too long ago but I'm really having trouble getting into it. I gave it a few hours and have dropped it for weeks. I feel like the first game did a better job of pacing me through stuff and giving me things. I'm kinda sitting here knowing the next place I need go to is way too deep for me to actually reach. But I'm unable to build a base or anything. I guess I just need to aimlessly search for blueprints? I'm gonna have to look up a wiki and coordinates...

I replayed the first FEAR. Weird how a lot of newer shooters don't have gunplay that can hold a candle to such an old title. It also made me think of how long games feel nowadays. Back when I was a kid and my parents would restrict my playtime to weekends, on top of having to fight siblings for computer usage - shorter games felt a lot longer. Now I'm an adult, I do what I want and I can just spend the entire afternoon and evening finishing your typical short FPS campaign in one sitting. 6-8 hour games would've lasted weeks back in the day, but now it's just a day.

Reactions: BrawlMan

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
I bought Subnautica Below Zero not too long ago but I'm really having trouble getting into it. I gave it a few hours and have dropped it for weeks. I feel like the first game did a better job of pacing me through stuff and giving me things. I'm kinda sitting here knowing the next place I need go to is way too deep for me to actually reach. But I'm unable to build a base or anything. I guess I just need to aimlessly search for blueprints? I'm gonna have to look up a wiki and coordinates...
I'm playing the first game. As someone who is unfamiliar with survival games I'm really enjoying it. There is something satisfying about gathering blueprints and expanding on your base and tools as you explore deeper into the sea.

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
I'm playing the first game. As someone who is unfamiliar with survival games I'm really enjoying it. There is something satisfying about gathering blueprints and expanding on your base and tools as you explore deeper into the sea.
When I booted up the first game, I didn't sleep that night. I was kinda expecting to be just as hooked on Below Zero but I'm feeling rather ambivalent. Don't know if it's the game or if it's just me.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
I had a very different experience with the original. I'm from a landlocked U.S. state, I've never even seen the ocean. I've never been on a lake big enough that you couldn't see the bank (shore.) I can swim, I swim very well. Not afraid of water, love swimming and can even water ski. All that being said... starting Subnautica, climbing the ladder of the escape pod, seeing NO LAND. It was deeply unsettling to me. Having played through Subnautica, I know that the area I landed in is kiddie pool shallow and safe. But swimming anywhere to find anything was "deep breath... GO, hurryhurryhurryhurry OHMYGODWHATISTHAT runrunrunrun" and safe back to the escape pod. I'd be just finally getting used to and comfortable in an area, then I'd stumble into a more hostile area and suffer a massive fear setback that would put me right back on edge. It was one of the more legitimately terrifying game experiences I've ever had. I'm hoping Below Zero hits some of the same kind of highs for me.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Isn't Haunted Castle the one that is incredibly difficult(partially because it only allows you a maximum of 3 continues)? I was like "Oh, and Arcade version. Those are usually interesting and sometimes better then the console versions." and then I read about how it's basically Fuck you city that even the hardcore of the hardcore would struggle to finish. And also apparently doesn't understand how arcade game economics work.
The American version is impossibly hard. They released to arcade archives version on all consoles. So if he ever decide to buy it, you can play the much easier Japanese version that actually lets you have as many continues as you want.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Games with Gold games for June include "The King's Bird" and it is charming. It's got like 8 colors at a time. Side scroller has you floating around trying to accomplish something. I'm just trying to get to new levels.

My daughter watches for a few moments and says that it reminds her of something I played with her when she was a kid. She was talking about "Little Big Planet". About the only thing the two games have in common is they are side scrollers. Ah well. She tries.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I found the game wonderful up until the final bit. Where the narrative takes such a brutal and depressing turn as to just kill all my enjoyment leading up to it. Really sucks, because most everything else about the game was tickling all my apocalypse fancies just fine.
I don’t recall the original movies much, but we’re they similar downers? I really wanted Max to escape with what’s her name and the kid. Maybe even as a hidden ending or something.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I don’t recall the original movies much, but we’re they similar downers? I really wanted Max to escape with what’s her name and the kid. Maybe even as a hidden ending or something.
No, all the Mad Max films (though maybe not Road Warrior? I've never seen that one) But Beyond Thunderdome, and Fury Road, both end with things being relatively "happy ending" for the other people in the story, and Max wandering off to continue his anthology of Wasteland Wanderer stories. But the people he interacted with, came out better in the end. That....is DEFINITELY not the case at the end of the game.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Not afraid of water, love swimming and can even water ski. All that being said... starting Subnautica, climbing the ladder of the escape pod, seeing NO LAND. It was deeply unsettling to me.
Same. I played Subnautica once for about 20 minutes (if that; ) the feeling I had the entire time was anxiety. My session concluded when I tried swimming to the distant wrecked ship only for radiation to set in while the sun was going down and my character struggling to keep his head above water. I managed to get my guy back to his little pod with minimal health, and both of us were glad it was over. GAME over. Haven't played it since.

Reactions: Dalisclock

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Started playing Farcry 4 last night. I forgot how fun Pagan Min was in that opening sequence. He is one of the tropes of villains that I generally love in storytelling, the super hammy, almost knows he's a fictional villain so he's chewing every scene, kind of guy. He reminds me of Dracula from the movie Van Helsing with Hugh Jackman. Just having a BLAST in every sequence. The way he cattily slaps at the one dudes hand at the dinner table, where he is hiding his phone, like a parent trying to get a toy from a difficult child. Then holds it up, annoyed to show to his guards. "Really guys? Really? We're not checking for these?" *disgusted sigh* I'm actually looking forward to this game, if only because I feel he's going to be fun watching devour the entire country in his overacting.

Gameplay....eh, it's a Farcry game. Nothing new or different.

Sidenote, this is basically the same plot as the God of War reboot. "Bury my ashes in my home, so you end up getting involved in the various things going on."

Reactions: gorfias

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
No, all the Mad Max films (though maybe not Road Warrior? I've never seen that one) But Beyond Thunderdome, and Fury Road, both end with things being relatively "happy ending" for the other people in the story, and Max wandering off to continue his anthology of Wasteland Wanderer stories. But the people he interacted with, came out better in the end. That....is DEFINITELY not the case at the end of the game.
In Road Warrior, Max did not enjoy being the decoy. He did not know he was a decoy until the sand popped out of the truck. Things end up being fine for the people in White and the feral kid who became tribe leader as an adult. Max continues to wander alone.

The more recent video game is more depressing though. It's why I refuse to even bother buying it. Plus, I got plenty of other options for my Mad Max fix.

Reactions: happyninja42

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
In Road Warrior, Max did not enjoy being the decoy. He did not know he was a decoy until the sand popped out of the truck. Things end up being fine for the people in White and the feral kid who became tribe leader as an adult. Max continues to wander alone.

The more recent video game is more depressing though. It's why I refuse to even bother buying it. Plus, I got plenty of other options for my Mad Max fix.
Ah, ok so yeah the trend of "things are broadly improved by Max helping out, but HE still does a Zuko and plays I Walk Alone as the credits roll" stands for all the movies good to know.

Yeah it's kind of a shame about that game, because pretty much every other aspect of it, I genuinely loved. I loved how your sidekick would randomly chatter at you while you drove, including my personal favorite, CLEARLY aimed at American players. The game is of course based in Australia, so the steering wheel is on the right. But, people like me, reflexively go to the left side of the car to start driving...and then wait a few seconds for Max to scoot across to the right, and start the engine. Do that enough times, and Chumbucket will actively call you out for acting weird. "Saint? Why do you keep getting into the Blessed Vehicle on the wrong side?! IT'S MADDENING!!" I genuinely laughed at that little jab. But yeah, the setting, the map, the way the dust storms are genuinely dangerous (but also potentially lucrative if you risk it), the atmospheric music, all of it. Really fun game. And then....the ending just...ugh. I think the part that galled me most was

They kill your DOG, the little girl, who literally dies in your arms, terrified that nobody will remember her, so she will fade from the world, the woman who was her caregiver, and even Chumbucket, who refuses to let you use the Blessed Vehicle to blow up the enemy. So...EVERYONE IS DEAD. And then...they reveal that the classic franchise car, that you lose at the start of the game, and haven't seen since, is launched out of the enemy vehicle, and it's framed like it's this triumphant thing. You have your classic ride back!! Yaaaay!! ...except...I don't give a shit about that car? It's not the one I literally spent the entire game connecting to as I built it up from scrap, personalized with trophies and paintjobs. It's also not the living fucking PEOPLE, and my fucking DOG, who are all now rotting away behind me. But, I'm suppose to be what, mollified with my car again? Maybe this is enough for car-heads that get boners from watching Fast and Furious or something...but that's not me. I'm still reeling from the emotional gut punch of them killing my dog, killing a little girl, an adult woman who was a pretty decent character, given how much dialogue they gave her to work with. And Chumbucket. This insane little sidekick that you come to love over the course of the game, because he's with you through every battle, fighting next to you. But...yeah...I've got a car.....wooo. *twirls finger*

This is one of those examples, for me at least, that it's a game that I enjoyed the mechanics a lot, AND also the story, but ended up having the story just kill all joy for the sandbox I'm running around in. Just, really didn't stick the landing, in a spectacularly bad way.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Ah, ok so yeah the trend of "things are broadly improved by Max helping out, but HE still does a Zuko and plays I Walk Alone as the credits roll" stands for all the movies good to know.

Yeah it's kind of a shame about that game, because pretty much every other aspect of it, I genuinely loved. I loved how your sidekick would randomly chatter at you while you drove, including my personal favorite, CLEARLY aimed at American players. The game is of course based in Australia, so the steering wheel is on the right. But, people like me, reflexively go to the left side of the car to start driving...and then wait a few seconds for Max to scoot across to the right, and start the engine. Do that enough times, and Chumbucket will actively call you out for acting weird. "Saint? Why do you keep getting into the Blessed Vehicle on the wrong side?! IT'S MADDENING!!" I genuinely laughed at that little jab. But yeah, the setting, the map, the way the dust storms are genuinely dangerous (but also potentially lucrative if you risk it), the atmospheric music, all of it. Really fun game. And then....the ending just...ugh. I think the part that galled me most was

They kill your DOG, the little girl, who literally dies in your arms, terrified that nobody will remember her, so she will fade from the world, the woman who was her caregiver, and even Chumbucket, who refuses to let you use the Blessed Vehicle to blow up the enemy. So...EVERYONE IS DEAD. And then...they reveal that the classic franchise car, that you lose at the start of the game, and haven't seen since, is launched out of the enemy vehicle, and it's framed like it's this triumphant thing. You have your classic ride back!! Yaaaay!! ...except...I don't give a shit about that car? It's not the one I literally spent the entire game connecting to as I built it up from scrap, personalized with trophies and paintjobs. It's also not the living fucking PEOPLE, and my fucking DOG, who are all now rotting away behind me. But, I'm suppose to be what, mollified with my car again? Maybe this is enough for car-heads that get boners from watching Fast and Furious or something...but that's not me. I'm still reeling from the emotional gut punch of them killing my dog, killing a little girl, an adult woman who was a pretty decent character, given how much dialogue they gave her to work with. And Chumbucket. This insane little sidekick that you come to love over the course of the game, because he's with you through every battle, fighting next to you. But...yeah...I've got a car.....wooo. *twirls finger*

This is one of those examples, for me at least, that it's a game that I enjoyed the mechanics a lot, AND also the story, but ended up having the story just kill all joy for the sandbox I'm running around in. Just, really didn't stick the landing, in a spectacularly bad way.
If you want another Mad Max fix, there is Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise. I can't strongly recommend the game, cuz I don't know how you are about Yakuza style combat. The game is good and if you're a big fan of the anime, it is recommended, but I can never get into its combat style. I know you say you're not into Fighters or Brawlers, but I just figured you can at least have something a bit more uplifting and positive.

Last edited:

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
If you want another mad Max fix, there is Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise. I can't strongly recommend the game, cuz I don't know how you are about Yakuza style combat. The game is good and if you're a big fan of the anime, it is recommended, but I can never get into its combat style. I know you say you're not into Fighters or Brawlers, but I just figured you can at least have something a bit more uplifting and positive.
I haven't played any specific Yakuza titles, but I did play...shit what was that one game that was Like Yakuza But, about a lawyer turned private investigator? Injustice? I was told it was very much the Yakuza style of combat, which I found pretty boring to be honest. Plus, it was a lot of just walking around a neighborhood, eating ramen, playing street games, and occasionally being jumped by the 3 stock standard street toughs.

I've seen FotNS, but I can't say I'm a fan of it? The thing I remember most from that film, is the idiocy of the opening thugs, when this happens.

He knocks down not one...not two, not even three, but FOUR...fucking SKYSCRAPERS! One of which falls on his fucking head, and he literally just walks it off...and breaks it in half on his manly skull as a result. And then, those GENIUS desert thugs, decide a fucking pocket knife is good enough to take him down. I just...I...I will never forget that scene. Someone wrote that, storyboarded it, and they fucking animated it! It's hilariously ridiculous. I cannot recall any other detail about that anime, to this day.

So I think I'll pass on playing the game, as I've seen enough clips of it, that it seems to be too firmly rooted in "fucking insane yakuza-esque japanese style culture/game" for my tastes.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
haven't played any specific Yakuza titles, but I did play...shit what was that one game that was Like Yakuza But, about a lawyer turned private investigator? Injustice? I was told it was very much the Yakuza style of combat, which I found pretty boring to be honest. Plus, it was a lot of just walking around a neighborhood, eating ramen, playing street games, and occasionally being jumped by the 3 stock standard street toughs.
Judgment. The sequel that will be coming out soon is called Lost Judgment.

He knocks down not one...not two, not even three, but FOUR...fucking SKYSCRAPERS! One of which falls on his fucking head, and he literally just walks it off...and breaks it in half on his manly skull as a result. And then, those GENIUS desert thugs, decide a fucking pocket knife is good enough to take him down. I just...I...I will never forget that scene. Someone wrote that, storyboarded it, and they fucking animated it! It's hilariously ridiculous. I cannot recall any other detail about that anime, to this day.
Awesome as always.

I think I'll pass on playing the game, as I've seen enough clips of it, that it seems to be too firmly rooted in "fucking insane yakuza-esque japanese style culture/game" for my tastes
Understandable. Lost Paradise does have a bit more Western humor thrown in, but it is definitely Japanese rooted.

Reactions: happyninja42

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Judgment. The sequel that will be coming out soon as called Lost Judgment.
yeah that's the one. Just didn't click for me.

Understandable. Lost Paradise does have a bit more Western humor thrown in, but it is definitely Japanese rooted.
Yeah, the part that lost me was twofold. It was a side mission where A) I'm hired by the twin brother of a girl, who is underage (who he tries to pimp out to me), because somebody stole her panties, and they want the panty thief caught. He's been plaguing the neighborhood for some time. And then, when I find said panty sniffer, he is indeed, in the process of sniffing said underage panties, commenting about the bouquet and texture of her discharge, like he's a wine expert. And upon him being caught, takes a huge, deep wiff of said panties....and proceeds to gain...I don't know...Pervert Power I guess? Has a DBZ power up scene, complete with energy particles and shit, and then we fight.

And....just....yeah that's not my thing. Everything about that mission, the way it was framed, the way they tried to make it comical (and failed in my opinion), just, turned me off to the game. My brain just said "ok so, if this is the kind of missions I can expect, I want nothing to do with this game." I'm not a prude, but Pedophillic Panty Sniffer Power Up Punch, is just a concept I don't need in my life.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Yeah, the part that lost me was twofold. It was a side mission where A) I'm hired by the twin brother of a girl, who is underage (who he tries to pimp out to me), because somebody stole her panties, and they want the panty thief caught. He's been plaguing the neighborhood for some time. And then, when I find said panty sniffer, he is indeed, in the process of sniffing said underage panties, commenting about the bouquet and texture of her discharge, like he's a wine expert. And upon him being caught, takes a huge, deep wiff of said panties....and proceeds to gain...I don't know...Pervert Power I guess? Has a DBZ power up scene, complete with energy particles and shit, and then we fight.

And....just....yeah that's not my thing. Everything about that mission, the way it was framed, the way they tried to make it comical (and failed in my opinion), just, turned me off to the game. My brain just said "ok so, if this is the kind of missions I can expect, I want nothing to do with this game." I'm not a prude, but Pedophillic Panty Sniffer Power Up Punch, is just a concept I don't need in my life.
So Judgment has that panty side story too. Pat and Woolie talked about the crazy side stories in the Yakuza games, and there's a similar side story in one of them. I don't know which Yakuza but I think it was either four or five.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
So Judgment has that panty side story too. Pat and Woolie talked about the crazy side stories in the Yakuza games, and there's a similar side story in one of them. I don't know which Yakuza but I think it was either four or five.

Yeah the panty mission I mentioned is the one from Judgement. Never played Yakuza, but it doesn't surprise me if they have them too.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

That was the Western version? Seems way more censor-worthy than a flash of DMC crack.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
That was the Western version? Seems way more censor-worthy than a flash of DMC crack.
It was the version I bought off the PS4 store so, yeah I guess it's the Western version. I don't actively seek out foreign versions of games or anything so that's just the version that was available, and is still available I would assume. *shrugs*