What are you currently playing?

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
My attempt to Monster Hunter lasted about 10 minutes when the infuriating pacing, dialogue style and animation reminded me of why I never got into this franchise. I don't get how folks deal with these games.
Same for me, I really like the idea of fighting giant monster, but literally everything about the game seems designed to be un enjoyable. Even just doing the mission is annoying because it treat them like an online match even playing single player.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

XsjadoBlaydette

~s•o√r∆rπy°`
May 26, 2022
Clear 'n Present Danger
Country
Must
Horizon FW: Burning Shores DLC.
Jesus holy mother of Azathoth, was the game always this beautiful in performance mode? Maybe a change to an oled telly since initial playthrough helped a bit, but not that much. Everything's popping with bright fruity colours, everything's moving, animated all kinds of lively ecosystem and creature quirks, explosions are fantastical sci-fi firework displays, the new environment is an equatorial exotic volcano set of islands with oft mesmerising contrasts of colour, combat is a visceral exciting rush: sometimes it's a lot, I just have to stop every now and then. Breathe, slide towards the nearest inviting bush, and...

well.

Stare.

Just for a bit.

Just a second.

*sigh*

It's nice here.

Think I'll...

If I may.

Stay.

For a bit.

Just a while now.

You still here? I said "a while!" That means bugger off! Thanks and good day!

Reactions: Dalisclock

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Tails of Iron

Cute but creepy Hollow Knight-y rats vs frogs hand-drawn fairy tale vibes game. It's also a decent Soulslike, as far as combat goes. Fighting two or three enemies at once feels like a satisfying juggling act: you're parrying one dude to the right, dodging another to the left and blocking arrows being shot from above. It's all very simple and color-coded but relentless it pulls off doing several things at once quite well, and for all it's simplicity it's also pretty unforgiving about how many errors you can afford.
This game might be the closest we ever get to an adaptation of Batrachomyomachia

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
That's pretty cool to learn of! Was not aware of its existence.
Neither did I but ThePruld made a couple Tails of Iron videos and referenced it a couple times. It's the very early game so by this point you've probably finished all of the bits he's covering. Obviously turn the CC on unless you can understand Spoken Italian.

Last edited:
Reactions: Johnny Novgorod

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
An Operator Drewski video reminded me of the existence of STALKER, so I decided to replay it with the Anomaly mod (with a revamped X-Ray engine, fully standalone). I think I forgot somewhat just how much tension is packed into the game , knowing that one incautious step can absolutely demolish you. The mod adds a whole mess of things I haven't really played around with yet, like crafting and advanced weapon upgrading; I'll worry about those when getting my face gnawed off by a gibbering mutant is less of a concern.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
My girlfriend bought a Steam Deck and we spent the better part of the day playing Cult of the Lamb.

Two thoughts:

One, gotta admit, the Deck is a nifty bit of tech. Whenever I've tried playing on a Switch I've hated it, but the Deck feels so much ridiculously better to use. And it has back buttons??? And a touch screen??? And like a billion other super useful things that the Switch doesn't have??? I still wouldn't buy one, but I don't think it'll evaporate like the Steam Machines and the controller did.

Two, Cult of the Lamb is fun. I don't like indies, I don't have much experience with rogue likes, and I could take or leave base building. But I really did enjoy the game, so I guess I need to reevaluate some things. The cutesy art style and sound effects contrasted with all the demonic cult things go surprisingly well together.

Reactions: BrawlMan

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
My girlfriend bought a Steam Deck and we spent the better part of the day playing Cult of the Lamb.

Two thoughts:

One, gotta admit, the Deck is a nifty bit of tech. Whenever I've tried playing on a Switch I've hated it, but the Deck feels so much ridiculously better to use. And it has back buttons??? And a touch screen??? And like a billion other super useful things that the Switch doesn't have??? I still wouldn't buy one, but I don't think it'll evaporate like the Steam Machines and the controller did.

Two, Cult of the Lamb is fun. I don't like indies, I don't have much experience with rogue likes, and I could take or leave base building. But I really did enjoy the game, so I guess I need to reevaluate some things. The cutesy art style and sound effects contrasted with all the demonic cult things go surprisingly well together.
Steam machine were an obviously bad idea, they were literally functionally worse than a regular computer and more expensive, there was no reason to buy on.

Steam deck offer something at least different than the mass market, and while they were some portable gaming PC/controller (lets just agree to call them deck) before the steam deck, they didn't really have much marketing behind them and whether things would work well on them was really hit or miss, while the steam deck has valva backing behind it, which pushed for game the be registered as working for them. I am curious to see how well they'll handle newer version of it tough.

Also, does the switch really not have a touch screen? Never used one but I'm surprised about that, brought an android based portable gaming deck for about 150$ and even it has a touch screen (and back button).

If you never played it, try Hades, you might like it (its on sale atm).

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Also, does the switch really not have a touch screen? Never used one but I'm surprised about that, brought an android based portable gaming deck for about 150$ and even it has a touch screen (and back button).

If you never played it, try Hades, you might like it (its on sale atm).
Well, maybe it's just the Switch Lite that doesn't have a touch screen. Never seen or heard anything about a touch screen on the regular Switch, so I just assumed things would be the same.

Girlfriend loves Hades, maybe I'll leech off of her when she inevitably buys Hades 2.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I meant more of, ask her why she never uses the touch screen. Apparently she's never really felt the need to.
Whelp, ask away. That is an interesting question. The touch screen makes navigating the eShop and home menu some much easier. I recommend she gets a screen protector, unless your gf already got one.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States

Two thoughts:

Lamb was one of the best games I played last year, loved it.
It went through this weird cycle of high anticipation before it came out, very positive reception, then this sort of quick backlash or like tepid response, then it sort of went away. And I think it's just because it doesn't have much replayability- it uses the roguelike mechanics but doesn't invite someone to play for hundreds of hours like Binding of Isaac or Hades. But it's not really trying to do that either, so... kind of a confused place in the industry.
But fortunately I can put that crap aside and just enjoy a game, and I'd rather spend time playing other games then replaying the same one for thousands of hours.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
then this sort of quick backlash or like tepid response,
What backlash or tepid response? All I seen were people praising the game, with only a few minor complaints. Then again, I don't follow that many reviews or reactions for most games.