What are you currently playing?

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
More Evil Within 2. The best parts are the pseudo open world hubs but sadly the game starts out at its biggest and only gets smaller and more linear from there. The story out-stupids the first one, amazingly. Also, the only time I was ever scared was when Sebastian clipped through the ground and fell to that weird videogame nether reserved for glitchy games.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
More Evil Within 2. The best parts are the pseudo open world hubs but sadly the game starts out at its biggest and only gets smaller and more linear from there. The story out-stupids the first one, amazingly. Also, the only time I was ever scared was when Sebastian clipped through the ground and fell to that weird videogame nether reserved for glitchy games.
*doesn't actually care about EW2* Tell us more!!! ANYTHING to break up the FROM SoulsBorne play by play take down of every boss because that's what we need more of! More Souls talk!! :p

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
*doesn't actually care about EW2* Tell us more!!! ANYTHING to break up the FROM SoulsBorne play by play take down of every boss because that's what we need more of! More Souls talk!! :p
About that, why is everybody playing Dark Souls games again all of a sudden?

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Because the people obsessed with that company never do anything but play those games apparently? And talk about them non-stop? And veer every thread to a discussion about FROM's games at the earliest opportunity? :p

Reactions: Dalisclock

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Because the people obsessed with that company never do anything but play those games apparently? And talk about them non-stop? And veer every thread to a discussion about FROM's games at the earliest opportunity? :p
I blame myself. I told everyone about me playing through the games back in May/June, and it seems that inspired copycats. I wouldn't call myself a fanboy or anything, though. I played through the series and then stopped to do other stuff.

Not that I'm not enjoying Dali's "LP", so.

Persona 5 Royal: Starting 3rd Palace now. I've heard that Makoto's rework made her really, really strong; looking forward to see how that lines up with reality.

Zeke davis

Apr 30, 2020
Country
United States
f-zero x
It's a pretty weird mix of 4th and 5rh gen.
Manged to fine the addon and made a couple tracks. Turns out along with being a decent racer i'm a good tracer as well. The addon tracks are ***** tho.
4/5 If a remaster were to happen i would've liked more music and more freedom with the track editor pretty good tho.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
More Evil Within 2. The best parts are the pseudo open world hubs but sadly the game starts out at its biggest and only gets smaller and more linear from there.
True, but I don't find that big a deal. They give you a good amount to explore, even as the game gets more linear. It's not that different from RE in that regard. The side quests are fun, and most don't overstay there welcome.

The story out-stupids the first one, amazingly.
Not really. It's got some silly moments, intentional or not, but I prefer this game's tone over the first game.

Also, the only time I was ever scared was when Sebastian clipped through the ground and fell to that weird videogame nether reserved for glitchy games.
I never had a glitch like that happen. Which version are you playing?

Still playing Vergil in DMC5. I am on mission 13 now.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Cyberpunk 2077 got better on-base consoles, graphics still suck, but it's playable. Sometimes FPS drops.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
So, I've started playing Sonic Mania.

It's...good, but not great. If you liked the 2D games on the Genesis, you'll be right at home here, but this isn't some great leap of quality compared to them. I really struggle to call it better than STH2 or 3, because it relies on these games as a crutch so much. Mainly in regards to the majority of its zones coming from these games, along with the nature of its gameplay. I will say though that these zones are probably the largest out of all the original games. I get the sense that there's more potential paths than ever. I...I'll put it this way. If I was ranking Sonic games on raw quality, Mania would probably be #2. If I ranked them based on how much I actually liked them, it would be much further down. Doesn't help that the blue sphere stages are insanely hard, and the UFO chase stuff is bleh.

Also, there's the question of the plot. Now, you might raise an eyebrow at me even discussing this, but I'm going to go there, the plot is incredibly shoddy. There's enough of it here that you can't ignore the plot, but not nearly enough to make it cohesive. I could go in-depth, but the TL, DR version is that if I was to rank the Genesis games by plot, Mania would be dead last. Because even something as simple as STH1 had clearly defined stakes, and clearly defined environmental progression. Mania can't even get that right. It's clearly a case of "let's throw in these levels at random, and have the flimsiest of excuses to connect them.

Anyway, I'll keep playing it for now.

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
Dipping my toe into No Man's Sky cause my friends want to play it multiplayer.

It's honestly not very good? I don't know how far it's come since its disastrous launch, but it just feels very rudimentary in a lot of areas. Combat is a fairly dull affair and sentinels are just annoying GTA-style space cops that escalate the more you fight them. And you can never be rid of them, you just gotta go hide until your 'wanted' meter pisses off. Or escape into the anomaly. So you generally don't really want to be engaging in ground based combat unless you need sentinel drops for whatever reason.

Exploration is just scanning the same pointless bunch of plants, rocks, animals that all don't do much besides provide resources. Then you craft stuff so you can more efficiently gather more resources.

The environmental threats all feel more of a pain in the arse than exciting - you either dump more resources into keeping your hazard protection up so you can continue exploring or just dig a hole and cry in it until it's over.

Space combat feels kinda blah and is not too exciting.

You can build a base I guess?

There's 'infinite' possibilities but it's basically 'infinite' of the same stuff underneath the surface.

There's some sorta story going on but I don't find it too exciting. You just go from checkpoint to checkpoint. Sometimes you need to fetch stuff.

The co-op missions are complete wank.

I do fancy going to my friends worlds, scanning stuff they haven't scanned and giving them all mocking names.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Finished Vergil's campaign on Son of Sparda. The last two fights against Dante are tough. He's harder than fighting Vergil on the two final missions. I mostly got S and some As, and a B on the missions. I'll do the DMD playthrough later.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
The Souls games create more discussion value than most games.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Dipping my toe into No Man's Sky cause my friends want to play it multiplayer.

It's honestly not very good? I don't know how far it's come since its disastrous launch, but it just feels very rudimentary in a lot of areas. Combat is a fairly dull affair and sentinels are just annoying GTA-style space cops that escalate the more you fight them. And you can never be rid of them, you just gotta go hide until your 'wanted' meter pisses off. Or escape into the anomaly. So you generally don't really want to be engaging in ground based combat unless you need sentinel drops for whatever reason.
if you max out the metre and kill the mega f you sentinels that show up, it resets (or beat the space version), or at least it did last played.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Eh, I got into them behind the curve and been trying to play them in order, so I'm JUST now getting to DS3(the only one I have left is DeS because I bounced off that one hard when I last tried to play it 5 years ago. At this point I might just wait to play the remake whenever I get a PS5). I enjoy them but at the same time, I usually take a long break before I play the next one because I know if I start a FROM game I'll be playing it for at least a month since I can only play on my weekends right now(Thanks COVID).

I'm probably a FROM Heretic to some because I've never even attempted to NG+ any of the games.

I could make a dedicated thread for my DS3 musings but I don't have quite as much to say about it as I did as compared to the Metal Gear series thread I did a couple years back. This is more my musings as I go through, but if I went Lore heavy, I'd definitely make a new thread just for it. Though at this point it would be probably like an essay of sorts going over lore and themes for the entire Dark Souls series since DS3 is heavily into callbacks.

Last edited:

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
I blame myself. I told everyone about me playing through the games back in May/June, and it seems that inspired copycats. I wouldn't call myself a fanboy or anything, though. I played through the series and then stopped to do other stuff.

Not that I'm not enjoying Dali's "LP", so.

Persona 5 Royal: Starting 3rd Palace now. I've heard that Makoto's rework made her really, really strong; looking forward to see how that lines up with reality.
Makoto has a hokuto no ken combo move with Ryuuji so that alone makes her extremely worth using :p.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I demand video evidence. Every YouTube video I looked up in the past, i.e.: searching "Dark Souls Anor Londo Archers Easy," only showed folks skilled in rolling or positioning themselves in just such a way that the pushback from the inevitable arrow to their shield pushed them toward the building as opposed to off of it, neither of which method I ever effectively mastered. I've never seen a method as you've mentioned!
I'll see if I can find something on youtube. I don't have Dark Souls installed right now so I couldn't grab some from my game. I think I remember hearing about it somewhere which lead me to try it out and I remember pulling it off at least once or twice(so it's not a glitch, or it's a very specific glitch). I do remember there is a special spot where you can hit the right archer with arrows but he can't hit you(the arrows will always hit the buttress instead) and the left one can't see you so you're safe from him. Once the right archer is down all you have to do make sure you roll to avoid the arrows coming from the left. I last played at least 5 years ago so I can't remember where exactly the spot is and I don't know if it works on the remastered version.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Or perhaps what goes around comes around, in that the level of thought put into developing the games begets the level of discussion surrounding the playing of them?

HA!

Bear witness!

:geek:

Last edited:

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Value? I think not.
That is a perfectly valid declaration as well. But having said that, one wouldn’t technically know without having played at least one or two of their games either. That goes for any pretty much any game though.

Then again, value is relative and mileage may vary.