What are you reading? What books have you got lined up?

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
SongsOfDragons said:
I'm about two-fifths of the way through A Dance of Dragons part one. I can't remember the UK subtitle. For the ASOIAF paperbacks here they split both A Storm of Swords and A Dance with Dragons into two books for ease of printing. They're all a different colour too, but quite low saturation so they look gorgeous on my bookcase.

Next shall be ADWD part 2, and then...hmm, I don't know.
When I got A Dance With Dragons, they'd released the full hardback, and the first of the paperback 2 parter. I got the hardback, because I wanted it NOW!

Shuguard

Apr 19, 2012
Currently i'm reading: Call to Arms by Mitchel Scanlon
and i have lined-up:
Dwarfs by Gav Thrope and Nick Kyme
Nagash the Unbroken by Mike Lee
Ulrika the Vampire by Nathan Long
The first omnibus of Felix and Gotrek by William King

I'm still waiting for the final book or books of Malus Darkblade (book 6 and or 7) by Mike lee and Gav Thrope.
Yes I love the Warhammer fantasy and only the Warhammer fantasy <3.

Snowbell

Apr 13, 2012
Binnsyboy said:
My only problem with using books to stave off depression is that (especially in a series like Harry Potter, where you're in it for the long haul and develop a real bond with everything) it's really depressing when the story ends and you're given your hat, and coat, and kindly asked to leave the universe you've been engrossed in for what seems like an eternity.

You should look into Pottermore, though. All this extra stuff JK Rowling thought up while writing the series is mind boggling.
Welp, it's been about three months since I started re-reading them and I'm only on the fourth, so I have a good way to go yet :3

As for Pottermore, I have four accounts on it (one for each house), I actually found it a bit disappointing since there's not all that much to do on it.

As for the main story, I found an excellent 'alternative' version in which Petunia married a scientist rather than Vernon and Harry grew up to be incredibly intelligent. It's very well written and suprisingly entertaining, but I'm not sure outside links are allowed here so I won't link it :L

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
BluebellForest said:
Binnsyboy said:
My only problem with using books to stave off depression is that (especially in a series like Harry Potter, where you're in it for the long haul and develop a real bond with everything) it's really depressing when the story ends and you're given your hat, and coat, and kindly asked to leave the universe you've been engrossed in for what seems like an eternity.

You should look into Pottermore, though. All this extra stuff JK Rowling thought up while writing the series is mind boggling.
Welp, it's been about three months since I started re-reading them and I'm only on the fourth, so I have a good way to go yet :3

As for Pottermore, I have four accounts on it (one for each house), I actually found it a bit disappointing since there's not all that much to do on it.

As for the main story, I found an excellent 'alternative' version in which Petunia married a scientist rather than Vernon and Harry grew up to be incredibly intelligent. It's very well written and suprisingly entertaining, but I'm not sure outside links are allowed here so I won't link it :L
If it's relevant to the topic, or people show interest about it, I think they are. I'd like to read that.

Sticky Squid

Dec 30, 2010
Currently reading Romance of the Three Kingdoms, after that I plan on reading The Godfather and Ron Atkinson's autobiography.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
I should be reading The Kite Runner for school. I read a different book by the same author, A Thousand Splendid Suns, and it was alright, just sorta slow.

Jedoro

Jun 28, 2009
Right now I'm reading On Combat by LTC Dave Grossman. It's a book about understanding the differences between sheep (everyday people), wolves (criminals, enemy combatants), and sheepdogs (lawfully armed citizens, police, military), and to prepare those sheepdogs for the reality of combat by being willing and able to defeat the wolves, even if it means killing them.

And holy hell, it was amazing to read about a cop that survived being shot in the heart by a .357 magnum, and then killed her attackers. Granted, it took several hours of surgery (during which she died twice) and 101 pints of blood, but she survived.

Mister Eff

Apr 11, 2009
I'm currently re-reading One the Road by Jack Kerouac. Not a clue what I'll dive into next. Don't have lots of time for books any more unfortunately.

darkcalling

Sep 29, 2011
I just finished Inheritance aka Eragon book 4. Not bad. I've read much better but after reading the first three I almost HAD to red that one just so the others wouldn't be wasted time. lol Next will probably be Practical Demonkeeping by Christopher Moore.

Aug 25, 2009
Khazidhea said:
MelasZepheos said:
I think I've been kind of put off reading, which is disappointing because I used to love it. Adult books trying to pretend that all it takes to be considered a serious work of art is to have a sudden and implausible downer ending, children and young adult literature that might be better used as insulation material...

Not a good time to be an avid reader.
I'd have to disagree with this quite a bit. I'm sure our tastes probably aren't very similar but to me it seems hard to believe that there are no classics, no highly recommended must reads in your chosen genre/s that you haven't checked out, and no new authors/series that have books with an interesting premise that you'd be willing to chance on.
I spent the last three years at university. My courses were Children's Literature, 21st Centruy Literature, Science Fiction in novels, Romantics, Shakespeare, Gothic LIterature Past and Present and Modern American Literature. At the same time I was doing a Creative Writing Course covering: Novels, Short Stories, Poems, and Creative Non-Fiction. To even try to list all of the hundreds of books that I have read that fit into the above categories in the last three years would take pages of typing. I had to read at least three novels a week, often more, and critically analyse them.

So that's where my assesment comes from. Three years of assessing depth hundreds of novels a year, and especially in my third year Creative Writing module I had to assess their wholeness as plots, ie, the way that the author used a beginning, middle and an end to make a point from the novel, and how the three were tied together or deliberately left open ended so as to make or not make a point. I stand by my argument.

CleverCover

Nov 17, 2010
Tried to read 'Last Night in Twisted River' Gave up because it (1) too slow, (2) repeats every bit of information ever given (3) reading it makes me want to slap the author (4) he gave away the ending in the beginning (4) he relies on the readers are idiots trope too much.

SOOO, as soon as I can get some money, I have at least 10 samples of books on my nook that I plan to read. The first Game of Thrones, Wicked, some Madeline L'Engle books that I wanted to read since age 10 but never got around too, and others...

SoranMBane

May 24, 2009
I just bought Game of Thrones today, so it's going to be that for a while. I just couldn't stand not being in on all the hype around it, plus it actually looked my kind of thing. I'm not very far in yet, but it is interesting so far.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Chugging my way through the Honor Harrington, who the writer David Webber has described as Horatio Hornblower IN SPACE!

The beginning followed the timeline fairly accurately until the French revolution when Napoleon expy was killed. Now it seems to have fast forwarded to WW2 with the latest novel having "Operation Oyster Bay"

REcapthca: cheese burger

Khazidhea

Oct 23, 2008
Binnsyboy said:
Khazidhea said:
It's a shame that the cartoon TV series retconned what Mandalorians are and conflict with the books so the series will never be finished.
What is it this scum bucket animated series has had to say about my beloved Mandalorians!?
I can't remember all the facts surrounding the issue, but my understanding was that Mandalorians were a people with a culture formed around battle originally taking place in wars as conquerors. This changed to the situation in most of the books etc, to them selling their skills instead, often as bounty hunters and mercenaries like Boba Fett. In the Republic Commando books Karen Traviss really fleshed out a lot of the culture which influenced some of the clone troopers who were trained by some Mandalorian instructors.

I haven't really seen much of the TV series, but, from what I gather, those Mandalorians had the same origins, but in the time of the prequels they've changed to a people that are peaceful, neutral and tolerant, with people like Boba Fett being the exception rather than the rule. I don't really see why they'd create such a change as now they don't seem very different from the people on Alderaan, or Naboo. I could have some bits wrong in both instances but those were my overall impressions.

Dawns Gate

May 2, 2011
I Just finished, 'War' (2010), next in line I've got 'In The Company of Heroes', I also just took out 'The One That Got Away', maybe next I'll revisit 'Tested Mettle'.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Right now I'm reading the first Space Wolf omnibus and so far it seem's alright. Next on my list is the second Space Wolf omnibus, the Soul Drinker's series and finally "Void Stalker" the final book in the Night Lords triology.