What are you reading? What books have you got lined up?

Heronblade

Apr 12, 2011
Currently moving through the Sholan Alliance series by Lisanne Norman, I was thinking about rereading The Count of Monte Cristo after that.

Mr.Squishy

Apr 14, 2009
Currently reading Fragile Things by Neil Gaiman.
Before that, I read Full Dark, No Stars by Stephen King.
Before that again, I read the Name of the wind and The wise man's fear by Patrick Rothfuss. Genius books.
Before that again, the three first books in the Dresden Files, and I've bought the fourth.
Also, I recently read our own Yahtzee's Mogworld, and a novel set in the Magic the Gathering universe, called Invasion.
Oh and somewhere this year I also read The Dark Elf Trilogy and The Icewind Dale Trilogy, both by R.A. Salvatore.
I'm also planning on starting the Malazan book of the fallen series again (well, only read gardens of the moon before, but it's been a long time).'

That's a lot of books. And those are just the ones I read for pleasure. Last semester I had 10 or so curriculum books, and now I've got three thick ones. No wonder I'm growing fat, I'm reading so much.

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010
Binnsyboy said:
I've been reading American Psycho, and it strikes me as the sort of book that some Escapists might be knowledgeable about.

Anyway, I'm about 40% of the way through it, and while it's definitely interesting, it just seems very scatterbrained. A plot is emerging, but it's all surrounded by a lot of unannounced occurrences. All in all, definitely stranger than any other book I've read.

I was just wondering, is there a point to all this? Does it become clear at any point?

While it's very interesting, and entertaining (and a little bit unnerving) I do want to blast through it, partially because it's borrowed, and I should get it back to my friend, and also because I'm of a mind to start the Sharpe books, of which I have bought the chronological first two, as well as continue the Sword of Truth books (I've just gotten Naked Empire, which is a mind bendingly large book)

Aside from hopefully getting an answer to my question, I'd like to see what other Escapists are reading, too.
I want to read it, but after reading a couple of abstracts about 4 years ago and feeling pretty sick, i never got round to it. i plan to over summer though

actually, i have a lot of reading over summer, plan to reread all the LotR books, i've preordered the most up to date collection of a song of ice and fire, and i have a book series my sister bought me for xmas i need to get into. roll on my 17 weeks of time off!!

EDIT: oh i should mention, for the last 2 weeks and the next 3, i have been/will be religiously reading tim newburns criminology, and the oxford handbook of criminology. i'm doing criminology at uni, in case that wasn't obvious...

Neuromancer

Endless Struggle
Legacy
Mar 16, 2012
a homeless squat
Country
None
Currently re-reading Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke. Afterwards I'll be starting the Millennium series. Followed by the Harry Hole series. Also planning on reading Ghosts of Belfast. And the Wheel of Time series.

sketch_zeppelin

Jan 22, 2010
Can't help you on American Psycho yet.

As for what i'm reading? I jump around alot with books so not counting graphic novles i'm currently reading: The Girl that Played with Fire, Dreamcatcher, Cell, The Hitchhicker's guide to the Galaxy collection, Pleasure Modle, Rule 34, and Do Andriods Dream of Robtic Sleep (AKA bladerunner).

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
suitepee7 said:
Binnsyboy said:
I've been reading American Psycho, and it strikes me as the sort of book that some Escapists might be knowledgeable about.

Anyway, I'm about 40% of the way through it, and while it's definitely interesting, it just seems very scatterbrained. A plot is emerging, but it's all surrounded by a lot of unannounced occurrences. All in all, definitely stranger than any other book I've read.

I was just wondering, is there a point to all this? Does it become clear at any point?

While it's very interesting, and entertaining (and a little bit unnerving) I do want to blast through it, partially because it's borrowed, and I should get it back to my friend, and also because I'm of a mind to start the Sharpe books, of which I have bought the chronological first two, as well as continue the Sword of Truth books (I've just gotten Naked Empire, which is a mind bendingly large book)

Aside from hopefully getting an answer to my question, I'd like to see what other Escapists are reading, too.
I want to read it, but after reading a couple of abstracts about 4 years ago and feeling pretty sick, i never got round to it. i plan to over summer though
It's disturbingly intriguing. Like watching a multiple car pile up, and not being able to look away. This is a book that the sheer engrossing detail combined with its grim and disturbing subject matter has made me question my own sanity. To that end, I can't say it's not amazingly well written. I just wouldn't want to be locked in a room with the guy who wrote it, without, say... a taser in my hand.

Prince Regent

Dec 9, 2007
I'm currently reading Multatuli's "Max Havelaar" I'm curious though if anyone not living in the Netherlands has ever even heard about it.

Oh and I'm also reading Martin's "A dance with Dragons" Partly in English and partly in Dutch.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Ickorus said:
Currently reading 'A Dance With Dragons' by George R.R. Martin, once I'm done with that I'll be moving on to 'City of Dragons' by Robin Hobb (Book three in The Rain Wild Chronicles) and after that I might check out 'The Hunger Games' or go back to reading the rest of the Dragonriders of Pern series by Anne McCafferey of which I'm about halfway through.

Oh yeah, and when the third Guild Wars book comes out I'm gonna drop everything to read that.

I'd say I'm pretty well set up for the immediate future.
If you do read Hunger Games, don't put too much faith in it. They aren't bad, it's just they come off as particularly average.

Have something better on standby. Like Good Omens. Good Omens is good, especially if you like Neil Gaiman and/or Terry Pratchett.

SongsOfDragons

Feb 28, 2008
I'm about two-fifths of the way through A Dance of Dragons part one. I can't remember the UK subtitle. For the ASOIAF paperbacks here they split both A Storm of Swords and A Dance with Dragons into two books for ease of printing. They're all a different colour too, but quite low saturation so they look gorgeous on my bookcase.

Next shall be ADWD part 2, and then...hmm, I don't know.

I might go and see if Exodus of the Xandim is out in the library yet...

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
currently reading Battle Of The Fang and The Horus Heresy: Fulgrim
on my back log ive got two over HH books, Legion and Machanicum
ive also got to read The Knife of Never Letting Go and at some point in the future i may read the Hunger Games but im fine with watchin the movie atm

DRes82

Apr 9, 2009
Just finished Dance with Dragons, and now am going to start Neuromancer. Always loved the cyberpunk genre.

A lot of people reading George Martin's books, looks like. I started reading Song of Ice and Fire way back when it first came out. I can still remember the description of the white walkers in the prologue. The blue eyes are what stick with me. Great series...Really amazing show.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
Right now I'm reading Bitter Sweets, a Savannah Reid mystery I found at a used book store.

After that though I'm gonna tackle the Richard Castle books because...I own them and just have not gotten around to reading them lol

Vet2501

Mighty Morphin' Power Ranger
Nov 9, 2009
BloatedGuppy said:
Mistborn Trilogy. It's alright. Characters are kinda flat.

Thinking of Name of the Wind next, I hear it's decent. That's assuming Abercrombie's new book isn't out by then.
Would definately recommend The Name of the Wind, 'tis a great book.

I'm currently reading Salute the Dark, 4th book in Shadows of the Apt series by Adrian Tchaikovsky. Once finished I'll be moving onto The Scarab Path (5th book in the series).

Waiting in reserve I've got The Wise Man's Fear, the sequel to The Name of the Wind.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
WhiteandNeardy99 said:
I recently finished Know No Fear, part of black library's Horus Heresy series, and I decided to reread the earlier ones. I'm up to Battle For The Abyss so far.
2 things

one: Is Know no Fear any good? i mean i LOVE Dan Abnett but i HATE the ultramorons with a passion

two: if it can be avoided do not read Battle for the Abyss, it is utter and complete shit

King of Asgaard

Vae Victis, Woe to the Conquered
Oct 31, 2011
Well, I've recently gotten into Game of Thrones (holy crap it's good) and I thought about tracking down the books. But I'm swamped with work at the moment, so it's on hold for a while.

jurnag12

Nov 9, 2009
Right now I've been re-reading the Godfather. After that it's time for The Dragon Reborn from the Wheel of Time series.