What are you reading?

LxDarko

Nov 11, 2006
Right now I'm reading The Fountainhead. I've just started and I'm now in chapter three of part 1 and all I can think is if I didn't read the Escapist would I have ever come upon this book with such an enthused desire to read it to completion?

After The Fountainhead I plan to read through Atlas Shrugged and then Catch-22.

Geoffrey42

Aug 22, 2006
Geoffrey42 said:
@TomBeraha: Save yourself the agony, and stay away from the Wheel of Time. There are lots of books, and I really enjoyed reading them all, but he's opened quite a few plotlines, and last I read, he's a little sickly, and unlikely to finish the series before he dies. I don't know about you, but I can't stand reading spin-off works by offspring or dedicated others based on "notes and research" done by the original author. I fear that my investment in that series is never going to pay off.
As I mentioned before, Robert Jordan wasn't exactly feeling well as of late, and it looks like things <a href=http://slashdot.org/articles/07/09/17/0243230.shtml>didn't get better. My condolences to his family, and I sincerely hope, for the sake of his legacy, and the fulfillment of my investment, whoever is given his notes to finish the 12th book does the series justice.

DeusExMathias

Aug 17, 2007
Geoffrey42 said:
Geoffrey42 said:
@TomBeraha: Save yourself the agony, and stay away from the Wheel of Time. There are lots of books, and I really enjoyed reading them all, but he's opened quite a few plotlines, and last I read, he's a little sickly, and unlikely to finish the series before he dies. I don't know about you, but I can't stand reading spin-off works by offspring or dedicated others based on "notes and research" done by the original author. I fear that my investment in that series is never going to pay off.
As I mentioned before, Robert Jordan wasn't exactly feeling well as of late, and it looks like things <a href=http://slashdot.org/articles/07/09/17/0243230.shtml>didn't get better. My condolences to his family, and I sincerely hope, for the sake of his legacy, and the fulfillment of my investment, whoever is given his notes to finish the 12th book does the series justice.
I heard about this earlier today. This is a major f-ing bummer. I really love the WOT series. I do so hope that whoever finishes the final book does his creation justice.

Ugghh. The Creator is dead. :( (cry)

Bongo Bill

Jul 13, 2006
I sort of stopped caring about The Wheel of Time as a series when I realized that it was just dragging out longer and longer into all these subplots that never resolved and which I couldn't make myself care about. The prospect of that whole mess being resolved, however, interests me. I do still have fond memories of the earlier parts of the series.

Sep 17, 2007
I'm just about to finish The Lies of Locke Lamora [http://www.amazon.com/Lies-Locke-Lamora-Scott-Lynch/dp/055358894X/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-7814730-5618522?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1190324453&sr=8-1], and I'm having a blast with it. Engaging characters, interesting setting (a Venetian-style city), and an intriguing plot. For flavor, its kind of like Ocean's Eleven meets Fafhrd and Gray Mouser.

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Just finished Clancy's Executive Orders (I always read a Clancy on a business trip - don't ask why), and I'm bowled over by the similarities to the events described and what happened in this country after 9/11. It's worth a read just to get that "they changed something in The Matrix" feeling. I'm wondering now if the Neocons are Clancy fans.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
Currently I'm breaking out an old, comfortable novel, 'cause work's been punishing. It's "The Hermit of Eyton Forest" by Ellis Peters, one of the Cadfael mysteries. That series is great for putting you right in 12th century England and letting you feel the history, though I suspect it's glossing over the worst parts.

After that, I've got "Iron Sunrise" by Charles Stross on the ready rack.

-- Steve

Joe

Jul 7, 2006
I finally did just wrap up Theodore Rex. It finished pretty strong, even if it did kinda gloss over the last six months of his presidency. Overall, I don't regret reading it, but I definitely didn't enjoy it as much as The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt. Morris' writing got really British and flowery, which tends to drive me nuts, especially since he was writing a goddamn biography. Anyway, onto Washington's Spies. I'm about five pages in from reading a bit before getting into the office today, and I'm already liking it. The Alexander Rose's writing is a bit more contemporary, and it feels like I could knock it out in a weekend as opposed to toiling through it over a month.

Sep 25, 2007
Try the fiction author Clive Cussler. Try to stick to the Dirk Pitt Adventures though, because that new guy lacks some of what made Cussler great.

Arbre

Jan 13, 2007
I'm going to try Dan Simmons' Ilium. Sounds stargatish.
It'll be followed by Olympos.

Zeldy

Sep 26, 2007
The entire Hitchhiker's guide trilogy by Douglas Adams.

The man's a GOD.

R.I.P. ;__;

Joe

Jul 7, 2006
Arbre said:
I tried Ilium, but I'm not a big enough a fan of Greek history to really enjoy it. Loved Hyperion, though. If you're a big fan of Simmons' style, though, check out The Terror, by him. It's a long read, but once you're done you'll look back fondly. It's about the Erebus and the Terror, two boats that went missing looking for the Northwest Passage in the 1800s. Simmons tells the imagined story of what happened once they got frozen in for the winter.

dv8withn8

Sep 26, 2007
Currently I'm into epic fantasy novels set in the D&D Eberron universe. Not the most thought provoking, but entertaining. If that sounds interesting I'd recommend Keith Baker's City of Towers (Book one of the Dreaming Dark trilogy).

If you're into history as you seem to be, I've read through Howard Zinn's "A People's History of the United States" a couple times now and always find it interesting.

Geoffrey42

Aug 22, 2006
@Zeldy: If you enjoy Adams, I would recommend his books about Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency. I went on an Adams kick, and really enjoyed them.

On the subject of books and Douglas Adams, while on a gaming site, did anyone ever play Starship: Titanic?

Arbre

Jan 13, 2007
Joe said:
Arbre said:
I tried Ilium, but I'm not a big enough a fan of Greek history to really enjoy it. Loved Hyperion, though. If you're a big fan of Simmons' style, though, check out The Terror, by him. It's a long read, but once you're done you'll look back fondly. It's about the Erebus and the Terror, two boats that went missing looking for the Northwest Passage in the 1800s. Simmons tells the imagined story of what happened once they got frozen in for the winter.
Sounds good. I loved Hyperion. Especially the stories about Dupre (hey, you don't have that special french character) and the Scholar's daughter.
Daunting. And lots of sex in them as well. °¬°
Makes the Shrike even more... fascinating.
I have yet to buy the sequel. It's been a long time, so I may need to read it again first.

But that thread is distressing. There are just too many books to read. Political stuff. Social stuff. "Revelations". Adventure. Noir. More SciFi. Fantasy.
Bwaaah.

Joe

Jul 7, 2006
dv8withn8 said:
If you're into history as you seem to be, I've read through Howard Zinn's "A People's History of the United States" a couple times now and always find it interesting.
Funny you mention that. A buddy of mine just bought that for me because he thought it was essential for every American to own. I think I'm going to tackle it in a couple books. I feel like I need some contemporary fiction between my histories, to cleanse my palate.

Spinwhiz

Oct 8, 2007
I don't know if anyone said it already, but Stephen King's Dark Tower Series was amazing. Got kind of boring late book 4 into 5, but 99% awesome. Plus, you can read a lot of the other Stephen King novels and the Dark Tower "world" intervenes in them. It's pretty cool. Have to read the Dark Tower first though. Makes all the others that much cooler.