What are you reading?

Nidhoggr

Oct 7, 2007
On my non-existent bed stand currently lie two books: Philosophy of Science, an anthology of 1300 odd pages of which you roughly understand 5% when you're finished (this is my second go). The other one is Requiem voor Newton, while dutch, a very good book about a young physicist (Klaas), member of one of the Cambridge colleges, and his "adventures" there, mixed with some informative but light reading on physics as well.

seanzala

Oct 14, 2007
Currently reading Men at arms by Terry Pratchett. I'm really into his works at the moment, not as a serious read but for a bit of a laugh. I've been recommended Daniel Silva's books by my family, and we have them lying around the house so I'll probably have a look at them soon. As with games, I don't confine myself to a particular genre of books.I'll try anything. Whether I like it or not is a different story.

GrandBoy

Oct 10, 2007
Im currently reading this ^^.Ive given up reading book's , i have a wide(ish) vocabulary , can spell perfectly well, and I finish 800 page books within mere hours.

ccesarano

Oct 3, 2007
I've got a bunch of books I want to read, but need to get a chance to go out and buy them.

I currently have to read the second book in Tad Williams' "Memory, Sorrow and Thorn" series, which takes fantasy cliches and makes them feel fresh again. I'm also interested in his Otherland series while browsing through a book section and recognizing a title that has a Blind Guardian song of the same name (and, after reading the back, is clearly the source material for the song).

Of course, I also need to get book three of the Dark Tower series, as well as Dune Messiah as I need to move on to the second book in that series. My brother has also recommended me The Stars, My Destination by Alfred Bester and The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Robert Heinlein.

Katana314

Oct 4, 2007
Read a bit of the Bourne Betrayal, finally listening to the people who liked the books more. Reminds me of Tom Clancy.

Geoffrey42

Aug 22, 2006
GrandBoy said:
Im currently reading this ^^.Ive given up reading book's , i have a wide(ish) vocabulary , can spell perfectly well, and I finish 800 page books within mere hours.
Are those really the only reasons you read books?

Easykill

Sep 13, 2007
Soldier X is extremely good, despite the childish sounding name. I also recommend Jumper and the inheritance trilogy. Also a small but very good book The transall saga(one book). Im really just going to finish the Wheel of Time as a tribute to Robert Jordan(James Oliver Rigney, Jr) who died in september. Apparently someone is going to finish it for him.

ccesarano

Oct 3, 2007
I just started Ringworld today, and already I find it pretty interesting. An alien race that, for the most part, is universally paranoid...quite an interesting concept there.

Joe

Jul 7, 2006
Moved over to Everything's Eventual by Stephen King. I don't care what anyone says; I like him. It's a cool mix of normal fiction and his particular brand of weird, and a definite change in pace from the nonfiction binge I've been on.

On a nonfiction note, I really can't recommend Washington's Spies enough. Truly amazing book, so amazing you forget it's real, and it paints a really interesting picture of revolutionary life on both sides of the war.

hooliganyouth

Oct 3, 2007
"The Slab" - Jeff Mariotte. A modern noir set near the Salton Sea. Not too bad, the writing could use a little tightening but the first couple of chapters have me intrigued.

"15 Hours" - a Warhammer 40k Imperial Guard pulp actioner. One of my favorite genres for bus reading - violent, action packed, easily digested.

Several bits and pieces of books about the history of Mexico "The Broken Spear", "The biography of Mexico City", and that book by the conquistador.

David Sedaris essays.

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
About to start "The Chess Machine" as soon as I get the Puzzle quest monkey off my back.

hooliganyouth

Oct 3, 2007
Russ Pitts said:
About to start "The Chess Machine" as soon as I get the Puzzle quest monkey off my back.
I haven't been able to get to bed at a reasonable hour all week because that darn Puzzle Quest.

Oct 26, 2007
"Overthrow" by Stephen Kinzer: A history of American efforts to instigate "regime change" in the 20th century--starting with Hawaii and ending in Iraq. A very good, easy to read, and DAMNING summary.

elibelen

Oct 27, 2007
"The Tenant of Windfell Hall" by anne Bronte.

Damn me and my love affair with classic literature.

ccesarano

Oct 3, 2007
I just finished Dune Messiah. Wasn't expecting to finish two novels in two weeks, so I may be stopping by the book store again.

Unholykrumpet

Nov 1, 2007
I've been working my way through the Bourne series, finishing up the Bourne Ultimatum before my copy of contact harvest arrives next Monday. (Note: I cannot stress to readers how incredibly awesome the books are compared to the movies. The movies are alright, but the plot lines in the books are completely different and ABSOLUTELY PHENOMENAL. For example, Marie, the girl that he was with throughout the Bourne Identity, is now his wife and she NEVER DIED. Screw the Surpremacy movie. Sorry for the extended note...) I also read snowcrash and the entire Tom Clancy net force series over the summer, great books.

P.S. Anyone else upset that the Assassin's Creed books are canceled? I wanted to throw a tantrum and cry in a corner when I read Steven Barnes blog...screw politically correct/sensitive matters...