What are you thoughts about Vegetarianism and why do you feel that way?

manic_depressive13

Dec 28, 2008
BiscuitTrouser said:
manic_depressive13 said:
BiscuitTrouser said:
Huh? Sorry, I couldn't see that through the haze of my moral superiority.
Thats ok, ill say it again for clarity:

What do you think of test tube or cloned meat? IE the perfect beef cattle is let loose to roam a field, and a few of its cells are gathered every so often to clone meat that is grown in an agar vat on a frame to form a perfect steak, the steak is stimulated with gentle electrical charges to build density and as such there is no difference from a regular steak. The cow is NEVER slaughtered, when it gets to old to donate healthy cells another cow can be bred or bought in, a few cows can be kept to keep diversity but NOTHING like the numbers we have now, and none of them have to be slaughtered.

Also whats your view of scavenging? If a cow dies of a heart attack can i eat it? Its a stupid question i know but seriously no vegetarian has bothered to answer this when i ask it. What if it dies of natural causes? Like a middle aged cow so the meat is good just fell down and died, and then the farmer quickly gathers the corpse and prepares it, would you see that as morally wrong to eat it?
Aw, that wasn't nearly as hostile as your initial post. Okay then, I'm fine with cultured meat, obviously. Scavenging is also fine. It's not the act of consuming meat that I'm opposed to. It's the fact that we slaughter animals in order to consume their flesh. Of course I wouldn't mind if it died of natural causes. Also, if I was given the ultimatum "eat this chicken or I'll slaughter a second chicken" of course I would eat the initial chicken to minimise harm.

Having said that, I don't subscibe to the argument that "You may as well eat the meat in front of you since it's already dead." Yes, and as long as you continue to propagate the meat industry, more animals will be dead. If you stop paying for it, it will become unprofitable for them to breed so many animals for slaughter. That justification is just a cop-out excuse which I used myself for many years because meat is fucking delicious, but I eventually got tired of my own bullshit.

It's quite obvious that the food animals left over if society suddenly grows a sense of decency will be slaughtered and turned into dog food or something. I think that's the lesser of two evils. Otherwise you're arguing "If we stop eating meat, all these animals will be slaughtered- so we have to keep eating meat so these and more animals can continue being slaughtered."

Finally, I don't see why you would want to take away my moral high horse, as you suggested in your previous post. I love my horse. I would never eat it or make it race only to slaughter it when it gets injured. I take good care of it, and occasionally I even let it fuck me in the ass. Metaphorically.

BiscuitTrouser

Elite Member
May 19, 2008
manic_depressive13 said:
BiscuitTrouser said:
manic_depressive13 said:
BiscuitTrouser said:
Huh? Sorry, I couldn't see that through the haze of my moral superiority.
Thats ok, ill say it again for clarity:

What do you think of test tube or cloned meat? IE the perfect beef cattle is let loose to roam a field, and a few of its cells are gathered every so often to clone meat that is grown in an agar vat on a frame to form a perfect steak, the steak is stimulated with gentle electrical charges to build density and as such there is no difference from a regular steak. The cow is NEVER slaughtered, when it gets to old to donate healthy cells another cow can be bred or bought in, a few cows can be kept to keep diversity but NOTHING like the numbers we have now, and none of them have to be slaughtered.

Also whats your view of scavenging? If a cow dies of a heart attack can i eat it? Its a stupid question i know but seriously no vegetarian has bothered to answer this when i ask it. What if it dies of natural causes? Like a middle aged cow so the meat is good just fell down and died, and then the farmer quickly gathers the corpse and prepares it, would you see that as morally wrong to eat it?
Aw, that wasn't nearly as hostile as your initial post. Okay then, I'm fine with cultured meat, obviously. Scavenging is also fine. It's not the act of consuming meat that I'm opposed to. It's the fact that we slaughter animals in order to consume their flesh. Of course I wouldn't mind if it died of natural causes. Also, if I was given the ultimatum "eat this chicken or I'll slaughter a second chicken" of course I would eat the initial chicken to minimise harm.

Having said that, I don't subscibe to the argument that "You may as well eat the meat in front of you since it's already dead." Yes, and as long as you continue to propagate the meat industry, more animals will be dead. If you stop paying for it, it will become unprofitable for them to breed so many animals for slaughter. That justification is just a cop-out excuse which I used myself for many years because meat is fucking delicious, but I eventually got tired of my own bullshit.

It's quite obvious that the food animals left over if society suddenly grows a sense of decency will be slaughtered and turned into dog food or something. I think that's the lesser of two evils. Otherwise you're arguing "If we stop eating meat, all these animals will be slaughtered- so we have to keep eating meat so these and more animals can continue being slaughtered."

Finally, I don't see why you would want to take away my moral high horse, as you suggested in your previous post. I love my horse. I would never eat it or make it race only to slaughter it when it gets injured. I take good care of it, and occasionally I even let it fuck me in the ass. Metaphorically.
Yeah i felt bad for being a bit of a douche :/

Thats cool, thats an opinion i can work with, i for one support test tube meat 100% and i want it to be for sale as soon as possible. I feel bad eating meat. Weirdly i feel worst eating fish. They are not even treated as animals, hauled up and reverse drowned, i feel sorry for them. At least i know where i get my produce (ive visited it to be sure, its a small farm outside my town) the animals live in a huge field with shade and a river and nice natural stuff and they die painlessly at a normal age (i despise veal and lamb) i feel a little better. Good enough to eat it and support the free range over the cruel battery farms. Seriously fuck those guys, its freaking sick what they do i couldnt oppose that more than i do currently, ive refused non free range meat at a meal once which surprised even me. Cloned meat is the way forward, and if my biomedical science degree can help me do that maybe i can work on it myself. Sounds really interesting.

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
It is unnatural, because of science.

I don?t mind if anyone wants to subscribe to those believes, but to claim that it is the natural state of things is ridiculous.
As with anything, it?s the loud mouthed, militant minorities that ruin the reputations of these groups.

Hugga_Bear

May 13, 2010
Blunderboy said:
It is unnatural, because of science.

I don?t mind if anyone wants to subscribe to those believes, but to claim that it is the natural state of things is ridiculous.
As with anything, it?s the loud mouthed, militant minorities that ruin the reputations of these groups.
To claim that something is good because it's natural (or bad because it's not) is a thousand times worse. Sitting on a computer here, in a house, with a clock near me, in partly synthesised and certainly dyed clothes. None of this is natural. Things like cancer, nightshade and HIV are though. Just because something is natural doesn't make it good, please do not listen to the bullshit 'health' companies spout.

As for synthetic meat, it irritates me that we aren't doing it en masse yet. It cuts the population of animals enough to open up huge tracts of arable land for farming, lowering the cost of food to a point of near sustainability (if I'm right, it could be even better than sustainable...) It cuts the animals suffering because there's no real need to limit them as much, certainly we can move farms to more ideal locales where space is not an issue and they can roam without impacting other crops...

Yeah, I love synthetic meat so very much. If we could just get it sorted and work on it then it could help to solve innumerate smaller issues.

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
Hugga_Bear said:
Snippy Mc Snipperson
I'm not saying that it's better or worse because it's natural. I am very much an omnivore, but I do tend to prefer my meat to my vegetables.
What I was trying to get at was how annoying it is to hear some people spouting nonsense about how vegetarianism/veganism is somehow better for me then what nature intended.
It's my choice what I eat, same as it's their choice what they eat.

RevRaptor

Mar 10, 2010
I have a set of beliefs that value all life equally regardless of what form that life takes, so to me Vegetarianism is nothing but hypocritical bullshit.
I don't mind if people make that choice but it simply doesn't mesh with my belief system and I really hate the preachy ones. I actually had one trying to tell me meat sits in your intestine and rots. I mean really, who would believe something so stupid. I got him to shut up by explaining how gangrene works.

geierkreisen

Jul 5, 2010
I don't eat as consciously as I want to most of the time and sometimes also buy food which is too cheap and tastes like crap. But when I started investing more in food, on the other hand, I found out that buying fresh seasonal vegetables is actually way cheaper than buying meat at the same quality.
I also found out that better quality foods simply appease one's hunger way more quickly, starting with the right bread.

Living on a purely vegetarian diet is something that's not for everyone, granted, but when we see how much meat consumption in the west has grown and how readily cheap meat is available, can't we at least all say that something has grown out of proportion? Low-quality industrialized meat shouldn't be cheaper than vegetables, because there is no cheap meat. "Growing" meat is way more complex, involves more manpower, more energy, way more expensive transport (cooling and such). How can it be cheaper than vegetables without economisation via quality or mass production?

Whatever you do, supply your local farmers, buy products from your region. Vegetarians or meat-eaters are not the real threat to our world. If you buy local you pay as much as the food is worth in your region. If you only think with your wallet someone or something else is suffering for it.

Versuvius

Apr 30, 2008
I have one thought on the matter: Humans are omnivores, we have teeth for dealing with plant matter and animal matter. Alright heres the best bit. The appendix was a recepticle of bacteria native to your gut and aided digestion of tough, cellulose rich plant fibres. Now it's only use is to replenish your gut after a bad attack of the squits. It makes sense to prefer meat over your greens anatomically speaking, not to mention our brain produces endorphin kicks from eating rich, fatty foods (be it a wonderfully marbled steak or a cream bun, both apply) so again it makes sense to prefer meat, our bodies thrive on it.

So as an omnivore with a leanience towards meat, wouldn't it make sense to enjoy your meat AND Veg, not tell me lies about how it rots in the intestine or how that poor little cow has feelings and thoughts and aspirations just like us humans? I'm all for ethical treatment for animals (I dispise battery farming, i try and avoid the cheap crap of Anything) but i wouldn't be happy if my boss tried to give a cow a job at the desk next to me...or perhaps i would. It's like handing me a packed lunch!

manic_depressive13

Dec 28, 2008
BiscuitTrouser said:

Thats cool, thats an opinion i can work with, i for one support test tube meat 100% and i want it to be for sale as soon as possible. I feel bad eating meat. Weirdly i feel worst eating fish. They are not even treated as animals, hauled up and reverse drowned, i feel sorry for them. At least i know where i get my produce (ive visited it to be sure, its a small farm outside my town) the animals live in a huge field with shade and a river and nice natural stuff and they die painlessly at a normal age (i despise veal and lamb) i feel a little better. Good enough to eat it and support the free range over the cruel battery farms. Seriously fuck those guys, its freaking sick what they do i couldnt oppose that more than i do currently, ive refused non free range meat at a meal once which surprised even me. Cloned meat is the way forward, and if my biomedical science degree can help me do that maybe i can work on it myself. Sounds really interesting.
That's fine. Just count the number retards arguing that vegetarians are hypocritical because they don't consider the feelings of plants in their equation and I think you'll understand why I felt the need to troll so hard in my first post. I wonder if they think they're clever.

I notice you edited your other post, so to answer that: I hate PETA. They're a bunch of psychos and they harm more animals than they help. I won't say they "hurt the cause" because people who genuinely care about animals won't let their perception be coloured by a group of extremists. Nothing is black and white- they have done some good but they have a bunch of fucked up views and more than a few idiotic methods. They're also the kinds of dicks who wouldn't even call an ambulance for you if you were dying.

However, I've heard they have a decent amount of prize money saved up for the person who makes cultured meat a viable option. That's something, right? I think you should go for it. It's definitely an admirable goal.

Versuvius

Apr 30, 2008
manic_depressive13 said:
BiscuitTrouser said:

That's fine. Just count the number retards arguing that vegetarians are hypocritical because they don't consider the feelings of plants in their equation and I think you'll understand why I felt the need to troll so hard in my first post. I wonder if they think they're clever.

I notice you edited your other post, so to answer that: I hate PETA. They're a bunch of psychos and they harm more animals than they help. I won't say they "hurt the cause" because people who genuinely care about animals won't let their perception be coloured by a group of extremists. Nothing is black and white- they have done some good but they have a bunch of fucked up views and more than a few idiotic methods. They're also the kinds of dicks who wouldn't even call an ambulance for you if you were dying.

However, I've heard they have a decent amount of prize money saved up for the person who makes cultured meat a viable option. That's something, right? I think you should go for it. It's definitely an admirable goal.
I remember something in Europe where they tested selling it in ASDA or some such chain and the public were so disgusted that they promptly banned the sale of cultured meats.

It may be an uphill struggle all the way for this.

manic_depressive13

Dec 28, 2008
Versuvius said:
I remember something in Europe where they tested selling it in ASDA or some such chain and the public were so disgusted that they promptly banned the sale of cultured meats.

It may be an uphill struggle all the way for this.
I know that, which is precisely why we need to work on it until it stops tasting like shit.

SpaceBat

Jul 9, 2011
manic_depressive13 said:
I could also refute every single argument you have about whatever necessity or justification you feel you have for eating meat.
I'll still hate you for it, and probably wouldn't even call an ambulance for you when you have a cholesterol induced heart attack, or choke on your steak.
For some reason I actually assumed that most people would notice that you're (at least partially) trolling, due to the sheer childishness, ignorance and stupidity of (especially) these two posts, but...

manic_depressive13 said:
You could do that, but you would be wrong.

Anyway, why the hell shouldn't I sit on my high horse. I can because I haven't fucking eaten it yet. Your friends might be happy in the knowledge that, despite them demonstrating it's perfectly possible to live without meat, you insist on killing things just because you want to. But I'm not okay with that. So if pointing out that someone is a dick for killing things makes me a dick, then I guess I'm a dick, but so is that person who I initially called out who isn't you because that would get me mod wrath.
When people actually kept responding to this and you in a serious matter after this post, I fucking lost it. That was absolutely hilarious, well done. This hilariously flawed sense of superiority thing you had going on worked much better than I initially thought it would.

manic_depressive13

Dec 28, 2008
SpaceBat said:
I know right. I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't a little proud of myself. Then again, I've posted some positively absurd things on here that were taken seriously. I believe I said that, as an atheist, if a homeles person says "god bless you" when I give them change, I take it back.

TheMatsjo

Jan 28, 2011
Vivi22 said:
TheMatsjo said:
Just as well, because to be perfectly honest, the claim that diets based around meat are unhealthy is unproven. The better and more comprehensive studies out there point to the opposite being true.

Animal fats are not the enemy of good health. What people really need to be doing is rethinking eating wheat. I'd add sugar as well, but most people already accept that it's bad for you.
You're right about the wheat and sugar part, damn right.

Cheers.

Kriptonite

Jul 3, 2009
Dante DiVongola said:
So, tell me, what are you thoughts about Vegetarianism and why do you feel that way?
I made a thread similar to this a while back and got an unexpectedly large number of answers. Most people feel that, like religion, it's fine when people are not parading it around and trying to convert you. I am not a vegetarian, but I have several friends who are. The only one I respect as a vegetarian, for being a vegetarian, is my friend Bethany. She chooses not to eat meat because she doesn't like it. Plain and simple. I don't like tomatoes, so I don't eat them. It is a little more difficult to avoid meat though, so I commend her for her successful efforts. I'm sort of rambling here, but my point is people get easily offended about this topic for whatever reason, they just want to be left alone, vegetarian or omnivore.

Metaphysic

Jul 1, 2011
CarlMinez said:
You are right about that. We are destroying the earth in a great many ways, but from a statistic perspective, the meat industry is definitively amongst the worst. It's probably a bigger contributor to the environmental degradation worldwide than all the cars on this planet.

So no, eating meat in itself is not wrong. But given the current premises, buying meat will do the earth a lot of harm. Then of course, there are people who claim that simply killing another animal for the luxury of meat is wrong. I don't think so, but our modern slaughter houses are definitively unethical.
Huh. I've not done much research on the subject msyelf... care to point me in the right direction? I'm genuinely interested in what the meat industry does and what I'm supporting when I buy a package of ground beef at wal mart.

Definitely agree about the slaughterhouses. At least let the animals run around a field/pasture and graze naturally what they would ordinarily eat. Stuffing them in a box to force-feed them foods they don't normally consume in mass quantity anyway is just beyond 'farming' an animal.

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
manic_depressive13 said:
I am a vegetarian. I could argue how eating meat is unsustainable, drastically detrimental to the environment and causes health problems due to the western world's tendency for over-consumption. I could also refute every single argument you have about whatever necessity or justification you feel you have for eating meat. But and the end of the day I don't give a fuck about my health or the environment or even morality. I just know that I feel sick when I see animals suffering or being killed when I know it isn't necessary. Also at the end of the day, most arguments in favour of eating meat are "I like the taste and I don't give a fuck about anything else." That's perfectly valid. I'll still hate you for it, and probably wouldn't even call an ambulance for you when you have a cholesterol induced heart attack, or choke on your steak. Just saiyan.
wow, you hate me and you don't even know me. smh. This topic actually reminds me of something...

manic_depressive13

Dec 28, 2008
Volf99 said:
Okay. Now that we've spoken I still hate you.

Is that badly done demotivator meant to be clever? Because that poster should read "Carnivore?"- which you're not or you'd be dead by now. So much for meat helping brain development. Let's start again. What it should say is "Omnivore? Chances are you dont need punctuation- I mean, some wimpy support group, because you're in the majority. Keep not questioning the hegemony of society."

Hurr hurr hurr, you sure showed those dumb vegans. They think things like animals and intellect matter.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I think it's strange and more than a little narrow minded, at least narrow minded if it's not a cultural thing that is; like if it's your culture to be vegetarian then fine, but in cases like that girl you describe, that's just crazy. Life feeds on life, it is the way of the Universe. There is no getting around that. Even when eating vegetables you're still eating a living (or once living) thing. The only reason you can feel better about eating vegetables and other plants is because plants can't cry out in pain. So your conscience is eased because you can't hear that carrot scream in agony when you chomp down on it. Omnomnom.
But really, as long as no one's trying to force their beliefs on me than whatever floats your boat.