What are you thoughts about Vegetarianism and why do you feel that way?

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
manic_depressive13 said:
I am a vegetarian. I could argue how eating meat is unsustainable, drastically detrimental to the environment and causes health problems due to the western world's tendency for over-consumption. I could also refute every single argument you have about whatever necessity or justification you feel you have for eating meat. But and the end of the day I don't give a fuck about my health or the environment or even morality. I just know that I feel sick when I see animals suffering or being killed when I know it isn't necessary. Also at the end of the day, most arguments in favour of eating meat are "I like the taste and I don't give a fuck about anything else." That's perfectly valid. I'll still hate you for it, and probably wouldn't even call an ambulance for you when you have a cholesterol induced heart attack, or choke on your steak. Just saiyan.
Anywho, I don't have a problem with vegetarians or vegans. Indeed, I'm frequently impressed at their resourcefulness in finding alternate sources of protein. I just don't care for the intolerant "holier than thou" types.

I eat meat not only because I like it, but because it provides an easy way to get various nutrients. While I think the meatpacking industry could do with some major reforms in how they raise and slaughter animals, the fact that animals are killed for my benefit doesn't bother me. Most of the domesticated animals we raise for meat wouldn't be able to survive in the wild anyway.

automatron

Apr 21, 2010
I don't care so long as people aren't all self-righteous and in-your-face about it.
People who are like "I'm a vegetarian, because I don't need to harm animals to live" are awful.

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
As with most things, my stance is if you want to be a vegitarian then as long as you don't try and force it on me or consider yourself superior then because of it then I've no problem with it or you. Sadly my Sisters now a vegitarian which means when I go vist my Dad and her, I end up with some vegi thing she's cooked compared to the usual great stuff my Dad does. The Vegitarian Shepherds Pie on Boxing Day last year was a particularly unpleasent surprise.

karloss01

Jul 5, 2009
I don't have a problem with vegetarians or vegans, I only have a problem when their the types that like to announce they are "vegetarian/vegan and proud of it" and trying to push me into being like them so they can "change the world".

Well they can't. And most probably never will. They are the minority in this debate, there are way more meat eaters then there are vegetarians and vegans and thinking that they can help save animals by doing so when they really aren't.

In fact I believe they do more bad then good, just think about it. These farms slaughter the animals for processing and will probably won?t decrease the output they kill. Then while it lays on the shelves are your Tesco or whatever its not being eaten by those who have become vegetarian/vegan and so it passes it self-by-date and thrown away.

So in the end the animal had died in vain because potential buyers were too deluded to not think that more animals would be dying for no reason if there were less people buying it.

Whenever I eat a burger or steak I think ?god damn you are a tasty animal! I salute you Cow.? because when that animal dies it dies so one of us can live. I love animals, I?ve had a dog by my side since I was born, I like cats, hamsters, snakes, horses, wolfs etc and I even feed and pet the cows when I walk by my local farms. So I find it incredibly insulting to the animals when people moan about how its not right to kill animals, to know that a cow I may have seen has died without some giving the courtesy to eat it so it wasn?t a wasted life.

We?re at the top of the food chain because we can kill everything else; animals below us kill other animals below them because they can kill them. In all case the death of these animals is a lot more horrific then what we do. I also dislike those who think we aren?t animals, we are. Just because we have become sentient and have the limbs necessary to build our towns and cities doesn?t make us any different then the animals.

well that turned from a small coment to a large rant.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
My general attitude about this, and about most things is that so long as you're not a **** about your beliefs, that's fine. Just leave me out of it.

Piorn

Dec 26, 2007
I can understand if people don't like meat, and I respect that, however, claiming to do it because of love for animals is just pretentious. If you actually love animals, you would also not use any medicine produced by animal research, never touch anything that was created using an animals body, and never acknowledge anything that was created by a person who ate meat.
I know I'm exaggerating here, but in my opinion, that's the reason this whole lifestyle doesn't work for me on a moral level.

Hamish Durie

Apr 30, 2011
I treat it like religion respecting it to an extent but at all other times keeping it away from me with a large stick (with a angry cat taped to it if im feeling sassy ^ ^)

Enkidu88

Jan 24, 2010
I want to know when vegetarian went from being a simple dietary choice to some kind of deranged philosophy. I know vegetarians, and respect them for being able to refrain from juicy juicy meats and their greasy byproducts, but I honestly don't know why being a vegetarian has become some kind of cult religion. I wouldn't be surprised to see vegetarians erecting great edifices of worship made entirely of broccoli and spinach. I have the same questions about vegans.

And why Vegans and Vegetarians get into such heated debates when eggs and milk are basically the only major differences between the two.

I'm warning all of you right now, when the great Vegan-Vegetarian war breaks out, us innocent meateaters are going to be swept away in a green tide of veggies.

I can taste the chlorophyll...and it tastes like evil.

Sandjube

Feb 11, 2011
I'm a vegetarian because I don't particularly like meat that much and decided I couldn't be crapped eating it anymore. You eat your food, and I'll eat mine and we'll be the bestest of friends <3

...Also that angry vegetarian fella back there somewhere is rather rude, sorry to everyone else about their attitude.

trouble_gum

May 8, 2011
ITT: Internet Tough Guy vegetarian does the rest of them no favours.

karloss01 said:
I don't have a problem with vegetarians or vegans, I only have a problem when their the types that like to announce they are "vegetarian/vegan and proud of it" and trying to push me into being like them so they can "change the world".
Pretty much this. As soon as someone moves to a position of "I choose to follow this lifestyle and that makes me better than you," or begins trying to convince me or others that theirs is the only right way; it's time to start ignoring them.

Robert632

May 11, 2009
manic_depressive13 said:
I am a vegetarian. I could argue how eating meat is unsustainable, drastically detrimental to the environment and causes health problems due to the western world's tendency for over-consumption. I could also refute every single argument you have about whatever necessity or justification you feel you have for eating meat. But and the end of the day I don't give a fuck about my health or the environment or even morality. I just know that I feel sick when I see animals suffering or being killed when I know it isn't necessary. Also at the end of the day, most arguments in favour of eating meat are "I like the taste and I don't give a fuck about anything else." That's perfectly valid. I'll still hate you for it, and probably wouldn't even call an ambulance for you when you have a cholesterol induced heart attack, or choke on your steak. Just saiyan.
This is what I hate about vegetarianism, and by extension, veganism. The smug, self satisfied people who not only claim that they are better then you, but get in your god-damn face about. Otherwise, I could care less what the hell you eat.

Dec 14, 2009
I have a friend who's vegetarian and she never brings it up unless someone specifically asks her about it.

Unlike a lot of vegetarians/vegans I've met, she doesn't define herself by what she eats.

She mentions it so very little that I sometimes forget, reminds of me of a funny story.

I offered her a mint and she accepted. 'hmmm, are these actually veggie friendly? Of course they are, they're friggin' mints' popped into my head, but I checked the ingredients anyway.

There were not suitable for vegetarians.

"Errr Beth..."

"Yeah?"

"You probably want to spit that out..."

"Yeah?"

"Yeah..."

Then we laughed.

The vegetarians with a smug sense of superiority? They're twats.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
I would describe myself as a theoretical vegetarian.
I'm not keen on the idea of eating meat, but its damn tasty.

I had a friend at school whose mother made her be vegetarian, she used to bribe us for our chicken sandwiches. As soon as she left home she started eating meat, but I doubt she ever told her mother.

Mar 9, 2010
manic_depressive13 said:
Anyway, why the hell shouldn't I sit on my high horse. I can because I haven't fucking eaten it yet. Your friends might be happy in the knowledge that, despite them demonstrating it's perfectly possible to live without meat, you insist on killing things just because you want to. But I'm not okay with that. So if pointing out that someone is a dick for killing things makes me a dick, then I guess I'm a dick, but so is that person who I initially called out who isn't you because that would get me mod wrath.
So let me get this straight. You have a false sense of superiority because of false morals? Eating something has little to do with morality, especially when it's only fucking purpose is to be eaten. I don't suppose you would shout at a lion about how it's evil for eating a human, would you? I'm cool with that, I'd probably be sad if the lion ate my friend but I wouldn't call it evil for doing it, I'd call my friend a stupid prick. Our only purpose to other animals is for food, they don't care about the food chain, our society or what we do with our lives and that is their purpose to us.

I can deal with you being a vegetarian, what I can't deal with is you thinking you're better than other people because of some fucked up idea of morality. Then when you're called out on your stupid opinion you try and bring in economic, social and industrial reasons for why you're better, failing to see that those things don't matter in the slightest. Bottom line is that we can eat meat so we do, choosing to do so has no moral implications whatsoever.

OT: See above. I don't care because they don't care. It's kind of a mutual agreement where we eat whatever we want.

Phisi

Jun 1, 2011
I don't really care what people eat and I'm not going to preach to them, I don't eat seafood because I can't stand the taste and I drink water a once or twice a month, my bin is full of empty coke cans so I'll be the last one to preach about eating habits. I personally haven't encountered self-righteous smug vegans or vegetarians so I don't have much to say on that (though I have met self-righteous meant-eaters who try to assert their ways over vegetarians) so currently I think of them as just random people who follow some dogma so religiously at times to constitute a religion, and since I don't mind people being religious I don't really mind people being vegetarian as long as they don't get up in my face about it.

Batou667

Oct 5, 2011
Vegetarians? They can be pretty cool. It's not for me, but that doesn't mean I need to tear it down in a "stop liking things that I don't like" fashion.

Vegans are a bit less easy to get along with, as for them veganism is seldom simply a reflection of their eating habits - they make it into an entire lifestyle and political movement, and as soon as I see people making mis-shapen sandcastles like that my foot starts itching to kick them down.

Personally, I think meat is tasty, healthy, and if it's ethically and sustainably sourced I can't even see a moral objection to it. Poster campaigns that liken meat to cannibalism are just trashy sensationalism, and woefully inaccurate to top it off.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Dante DiVongola said:
However, when you bring up flimsy arguments and then go on to say that you "wouldn't even call an ambulance for me when I have a cholesterol-induced heart attack or choke on my steak", you lose all value as a person to me.
You want to know my favourite part of what he said? Eating animal fat will not cause you to have a heart attack. You know when your arteries get all clogged up with cholesterol and cause heart attacks? The type of cholesterol that does it is created in the blood through a process called glycation which requires sugars to happen. The sort of sugars you aren't likely to find in large quantities in the meat that you eat. http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/05/110526204953.htm

And if that wasn't evidence enough, how about the fact that reducing cholesterol with Statins isn't likely to reduce your risk of heart attack very much, and even then, only if you're a young man with existing risk factors for heart disease and heart attacks. Whether or not your risk of dying is reduced though the drug companies won't say. http://www.fathead-movie.com/index.php/2010/06/03/a-few-reasons-to-avoid-statins/

Here's the thing about vegetarianism. I don't advocate it because I don't think it's the ideal diet to promote good health in human beings. Nor do I have any ethical qualms with killing animals, especially when they are an important part of the diet we evolved to thrive on.

But I don't have a problem with vegetarians choosing to give up meat for whatever reason. It's their choice, and they have every right to make it. And if they supplement properly, and actually eat mostly vegetables and fruit in addition to wherever they're getting their protein and some good fats, while cutting out foods high in refined sugar and reducing their consumption of wheat products, then they'll most likely be healthier than someone eating your average North American diet. Hell, they'd just be some grass fed steak away from a paleo diet at that point.

Sadly, the problem with a very small number of vegetarians is that they not only choose to give up meat, but they pursue said choice with an almost religious fervor. And in the case of fellows such as the one you quoted almost seem to actively hate anyone who doesn't agree with them, or spend their time trying to argue why everyone else is wrong, and that sort of stuff doesn't fly with me. The funniest part perhaps is that I actually tend to agree with such people on some things such as the sort of factory farming performed in much of the US being undesirable, not just for the conditions the animals are subjected to, but because it relies heavily on growth hormones and grain feeding to fatten animals up when neither is natural, and while it may be more efficient for raising a lot of meat quickly, it's too destructive to be the ideal way to raise meat, especially when there are large quantities of land out there which can be used to raise meat more naturally, and isn't suited for any other agricultural purpose that we could make use of.

And I'll fully admit that things go the other way as well, and again, it's only a small percentage of vegetarians just like any other group of people. Most are fairly normal folk content to do their thing while leaving you be.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Got no problem with Vegeterians, as long as they're not the preachy type (I've had the mispleasure knowing one too many of these kinds) that like to point that I'm barbarian and won't live as long as them because they eat healthier than me. An argument that I have always been skeptical about. Oh and Vegeterians who eat fish I do not get, why is fish different to other animals? At least be consistent with yout principles.