What are your favourite national flags?

stormeris

Aug 29, 2011
Since i'm Lithuanian, i'm going to say our flag!

My personal nationalism aside, i really do like the colour scheme of German and Belgium flags.
Captcha: basket case.
That's an awful movie, captcha, a very awful movie

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
I'm probably biased but México, definitely México.

Why México?
Well it's an eagle eating a snake on top of a nopal cactus[footnote]Not entirely sure how to say that in English and too lazy to look it up.[/footnote], which is pretty awesome, according to legend the Aztecs while looking for a new home arrived to lake Texcoco, where they found an eagle eating a snake on top of a nopal, they took this a sign from the warrior God Huitzilopotchli that this was the place they should settle in and so they did and the eagle became a symbol of the culture and I make this story sound awful but oh well.
Anyway it's a cool flag with a lot of meaning behind it besides just representing the Mexican territory.
[sup][sup]Everything in the flag symbolizes something but I'm too lazy to explain and I actually don't remember it all that well, so whatever.[/sup][/sup]

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Teoes said:
I've always been rather partial to the South Korean flag, but never known exactly why. T'is rather unique.

KingKickass

Oct 8, 2012
Japan's flag has always been cool to me, particularly the Imperial Era one

Other than that though, I'd have to say good ol' U.S.A

I just like the colors and the design, plus my own nationalism gets in the way

Comradeweldor

Nov 17, 2011
I quite like the Angola national flag. Its like they looked at communist symbols and thought 'you know what, its OK, but not quite dangerous enough for us.'
http://iwritealot.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/Angola.png

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Personally, I've always felt that it should be immediately obvious which was up a flag should be flying Symmetrical flags, and bands of colour don't do it for me.

The top left quarter should be distinct.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
It's not just the patriot in me talking, I adore the Canadian flag. It's just pretty!

I will think about it...

Hmm...

Seychelles. Never even heard of the country before but LOOK AT THAT FLAG!

Norway. I just like it.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Here's another cracker, proof that mashing them together can work:

[HEADING=2]Hawaii[/HEADING]

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
The limp-wristed dragon of mediocrity (Wales) is a close first because any incarnation of a dragon is freakin' awesome, but my favourite is probably the Svatsticka.

Let's ignore all Nazi connotations.

Let's ignore the fact that some people would say it's actually a political party flag, and was only a national flag for a very short time.

Let's keep in mind the fact that it's a good luck sign, in pretty much any Eastern religion, and that it symbolises good health, fortune, and kindness, and that a short, big-nosed guy with a bad moustache demonised it, forever tainting its image. Let's also keep in mind that it's been used to represent many countries that had little to no interaction with WWII.

Victim of Progress

Jul 11, 2011
Amethyst Wind said:
I've always been partial to the flag of Estonia.

Never though someone would like our flag. But to be honest, it doesn't look too bad. Blue for sky, black for soil and white for snow. A decent combination

EmilShmiengura

Feb 17, 2009
1st place - Wales (notice the hypertophied tongue of the dragon caused by the welsh laguage)
2nd place - Estonia (no real reason, I just like the how the colours go together)
3rd place - Nepal (the hipster of the flag world)

The Goat Tsar

Mar 17, 2010
I've always been a fan of Uruguay's flag. I dunno, I just like it for some reason...
I also like Bhutan's flag, IT HAS A DRAGON.

Tactical Pause

Jan 6, 2010
Amethyst Wind said:
I've always been partial to the flag of Estonia.

I must admit, there's something about that flag that I find incredibly appealing. I'm usually not a huge fan of the 'three stripes of different colors' type flags, but I can certainly make an exception in this case.