What are your obsessions?

Dec 10, 2012
As nerds (I assume I can call everyone here that), we all have something we get nerdy about. Some of us are obsessed with anime, some of us spend thousands on Warhammer figurines, some of us go nuts for the MCU. I personally have been totally immersed in Star Trek since birth, spend way too much on Magic: The Gathering, and take pro wrestling far too seriously. So (just for something lighthearted), what about y'all?

Chewster

It's yer man Chewy here!
Apr 24, 2008
Collecting things. Doesn't really matter what.

In high school it was old comic books, DVDs of foreign films and keychains.

These days, it's clothing, old school Japanese video games and Microblock figures with some Gacha and Happy Kitchen sprinkled in for good measure.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
I used to be HUGELY into video games, like for a while I only played video games, afterwards I became horror movie nerd for a while, then a regular film buff and for a bit I was really into comics, nowadays though, I still enjoy all of those things but to a much lesser extent and I guess I'm now primarily a tabletop RPG nerd, I mean I mostly play D&D 5E but I've read some pretty obscure shit and have 20GB of PDFs on y PC at the moment plus a few physical books.

Overall though, I'd say that I'm more of a Bard with bardic lore on nerdy things but without any real specialization.

DANEgerous

Jan 4, 2012
Generally trying to not make people, not scientific illiterates. People who hate all chemicals and say they are universally harmful. Believing absurd compositions of various parts of Earth such as %33 of our atmosphere being oxygen and calling that "Shockingly low" and absurd remedies like drinking mass quantities of vinegar and GMOs being "fake" whatever that means.

Dec 10, 2012
Johnny Novgorod said:
Monica Bellucci, Eva Green, Eva Mendes, Marisa Tomei, Annabella Sciorra.
You seem to have put all you class points into one specialization.

DANEgerous said:
Generally trying to not make people, not scientific illiterates. People who hate all chemicals and say they are universally harmful. Believing absurd compositions of various parts of Earth such as %33 of our atmosphere being oxygen and calling that "Shockingly low" and absurd remedies like drinking mass quantities of vinegar and GMOs being "fake" whatever that means.
A noble battle, but I fear you are fighting a tsunami with a measuring spoon. You should do a YouTube series, just quickly shooting down all the moronic stuff people believe without thinking about it.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Johnny Novgorod said:
Women with at least one "a", followed by an "e" in their name?

DANEgerous said:
I sympathise. But you're probably going to be happier obsessing about people's names having vowels in alphabetical order.

Ogoid

Nov 5, 2009
Several. Some are a constant in my life (books, comics, video games, beer) some come and go (pinball, board games).

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I'm a bit obsessed with collecting pre-digital age anime on Blu-ray.

It can be anime that I don't even like that much, like Perfect Blue or Wings of Honneamise, but I'll buy them anyway as I adore the age when cartoons where still painted on cells, when true artistry still existed in the medium. And seeing those titles again, cleaned up in 1080p, is a little bit like experiencing them again for the first time.

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
The Soviet Union in general and the Red Army during World War 2 in particular. I've spent way too much time and effort learning about those two.

Aug 31, 2012
I don't really have anything I'm obsessed with these days. I suppose adding to my record collection is about the closest. I'll spend ?100 or so every couple of months to pick up a bunch of stuff on discogs or from the odd artist I follow.

Warhammer 40K kind of fell by the wayside. As when I was a kid, painting and actually playing just stopped motivating me.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Elder Scrolls, DnD and the MCU. They literally are some of the Pro's on my list of reasons to stay alive. I eat up every bit of MCU I can. Finished Luke Cage season 2, and ya know, a lot of Luke Cage or Jessica Jones or Daredevil easily could have been just any ol primetime drama, but that there are people with bullet proof skin or super strength, really engages me about it!

And the movies, I love every single one! Sure, have some issues here or there, but even as I complain about MJ looking and acting nothing like her...well, fucking hell, Spider-Man and Iron Man are teaming up! Woo!

Cant fucking wait or TESVI! I bet it will take place in High Rock AND Hammerfell. Been spending a lot of time prattling on about lore in the meantime, mostly about Morrowind lore though. (Fuck Michael Kirkbride though, his fanfiction is NOT CANON!)

And DnD, well, I love it! I love DMing, wish I could do it more. I would play online, but I cannot get any sort of voice communication to work, and I am admittedly, intimidated by playing with complete strangers. Until then, I am just reading up on Celtic lore for inspiration.

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
Lovecraft's stories, and writers from his circle/ weird fiction in general, like Robert E Howard, Clark Ashton Smith, August Derleth, Frank Bellknap Long, Algernon Blackwood, Robert Chambers, Ramsey Campbell, etc. - and loads of more modern writers of supernatural horror literature in general- I'm downloading ghost and horror novels and short story collections every three days, and it's never enough!

However, I do not as a general rule enjoy engaging others in my passions: I'm not interested in pissing contests, nor personal critiques of my escapism.

Voidrunner

Feb 26, 2011
I've had a lot of various obsessions over time but they don't tend to last longer than a couple years, I go through obsessive phases that get turned off like flicking a switch. A sort of overarching theme in a lot of my obsessions was collecting things though, I think I started with the toys in Kinder Surprises just collecting them in droves and I still have a huge jar of them collecting dust now. Then I think was Yugioh cards which was weirder because I didn't play or really know much about them but I'd just hoard them too, now they collect dust too.

Then there were those kid's activity magazines you get where you collect a new issue every week or month and use it to build something. I've got two or three binders of Mr Bean's encyclopaedia and all the stickers that came with it. Collected book series too in between all that. Redwall, Teen Power Inc, Animorphs, Discworld. At one point I just had an obsession with collecting random junk I'd find on the ground or around buildings. I remembering looting socket protectors from the physics department with alarming regularity.

Now my current, and longest serving obsession is collecting anything to do with owls, I've amassed hundreds of them to the point the house is running out of room for them. Again I don't know why, I don't know an awful lot about owls other than that i like the look of them. I've got a book that basically lists facts every species of owl on earth but I found it dry reading and mostly just look at the pictures. I'm never an expert on anything of the things I collect, or obsess over. I had a phase where I was obsessed with ninjas but I couldn't tell you a great deal about them either. That's why I never list myself as a true fan of anything because I don't study the things I like, I can think about them all the time without wanting to learn more than a brief google search.

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
I have a wide variety of interests and am always trying to make and do things so I would think one of the things I tend to " collect" is hobbies. I do not like to repeat things so am constantly doing new things. I enjoy bead working, creating miniatures, leather working, sculpting, drawing, painting, sheet metal and light art, featherworking, wood burning, wood carving, carpentry, designing and creating just about anything...

Then I also have an " obsession" with Lego, I have a room dedicated to it and I also enjoy creating Lego custom game characters as gifts for friends. I have done other types video game customs as well, but I just think the Lego ones are the best. Then there is my Retro Video game console and games " museum". When my father passed away he left me his collection of consoles which have everything from a pong to a turbo graphix 16, so I have most of all the early consoles. I personally like to collect action figures as well, and have some odd favorites like my spinning nunchucks action Callisto that sits on my desk, or my Mego Star Trek figures I had originally gave to my Dad years ago but then were given back to me.

The one thing though that I am most crazy obsessed about is glass and gas light sculptures. I get more worked up excited about these than probably anything else. I am totally in love with these:

I also collect a bit of Blenko gass, and mid century modern space age looking decor and furniture when I can get my hands on it, it is often difficult to find pieces I like though as I am partial to shades of blue like the ocean and primarily decorate with different shades of blues, green and gray.

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
Palindromemordnilap said:
The dozen or so boxes of Lego in my room are a bit of a giveaway...

I also like mythologies but thats more of a professional thing
My Lego has gotten so bad I may have to take out a storage unit to store all the giant tubs of them LOL! I always grab them at yard sales and thrift shops if I see them in there even though I already have enough to build a house I could live inside of. I am not a Lego "purist" though so I love many of the Megabloks sets as well including the whole vintage dragons and king Arthur series, they have so many great unique pieces. I am a sucker for buying big lots of them on Ebay when I see statue pieces and such that I can use to build giant kingdoms. I have like every set they made in multiples HAHA!

It was difficult to not want to get more just looking for photos of examples.. HAHHA!

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
DANEgerous said:
On one hand I get you, but on the other hand, it's just so much fun to warn people (including otherwise educated ones) about the dangers of dihydrogen monoxide. Like how it can cause suffocation, accelerates corrosion, is used as an industrial solvent and coolant in nuclear reactors, or in the distribution of pesticides. Truly a most heinous chemical.

[small]Fyi, I do tell them eventually that it's just plain water and that the air we breathe, everything we eat or drink, the clothes we wear, the homes we live in, the ground we walk on and our very own bodies are fully 100% composed of chemical compounds.[/small]
Thaluikhain said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Women with at least one "a", followed by an "e" in their name?
I was thinking attractive older women in their 50s, but Mendes and Green don't fit that bill.

Apr 17, 2009
Lil devils x said:
Palindromemordnilap said:
The dozen or so boxes of Lego in my room are a bit of a giveaway...

I also like mythologies but thats more of a professional thing
My Lego has gotten so bad I may have to take out a storage unit to store all the giant tubs of them LOL! I always grab them at yard sales and thrift shops if I see them in there even though I already have enough to build a house I could live inside of. I am not a Lego "purist" though so I love many of the Megabloks sets as well including the whole vintage dragons and king Arthur series, they have so many great unique pieces. I am a sucker for buying big lots of them on Ebay when I see statue pieces and such that I can use to build giant kingdoms. I have like every set they made in multiples HAHA!

It was difficult to not want to get more just looking for photos of examples.. HAHHA!
Eh, you see the big things like that I don't care about so much. I like the actual building, and the tinkering around with it afterwards. When they're just playsets I don't get that. Then again, my thing at the moment is getting a load of the old castle sets from the early 90s, as those are all modular in design and I want to see how big of a castle I can make just snapping them together without any actual rebuilding involved