What are your obsessions?

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
Palindromemordnilap said:
Lil devils x said:
Palindromemordnilap said:
The dozen or so boxes of Lego in my room are a bit of a giveaway...

I also like mythologies but thats more of a professional thing
My Lego has gotten so bad I may have to take out a storage unit to store all the giant tubs of them LOL! I always grab them at yard sales and thrift shops if I see them in there even though I already have enough to build a house I could live inside of. I am not a Lego "purist" though so I love many of the Megabloks sets as well including the whole vintage dragons and king Arthur series, they have so many great unique pieces. I am a sucker for buying big lots of them on Ebay when I see statue pieces and such that I can use to build giant kingdoms. I have like every set they made in multiples HAHA!

It was difficult to not want to get more just looking for photos of examples.. HAHHA!
Eh, you see the big things like that I don't care about so much. I like the actual building, and the tinkering around with it afterwards. When they're just playsets I don't get that. Then again, my thing at the moment is getting a load of the old castle sets from the early 90s, as those are all modular in design and I want to see how big of a castle I can make just snapping them together without any actual rebuilding involved
I think you are saying you do the same thing I do actually (in regards to building big castles). I do not build the sets the way they are supposed to be built, I buy many bulk mixed piece lots and build my own designs of multiple kingdoms out of them instead. I build giant fortresses, woods, mountains, villages both land and sea battles.. entire kingdoms and armies and such instead with the pieces. I like the " unique" pieces as I use them to decorate the kingdom. I create custom Lego people and use some of the mega bloks people parts instead as decoration within the building design itself as statues and gargoyles and other decoration instead. I too have a ton of the 90's castle set peices as well as the other castle/ medieval sets such as LOTR, Harry Potter and the Lego castle series sets. I use them all together to make massive castles and just use their parts making my own designs instead. I not only mix in pieces, and custom pieces, I create custom pieces by dying, painting, staining or inking blocks as well as creating my own decals and even going as far to acetone welding and creating my own custom pieces from other things to get the look I want. IF Lego doesn't have it I may just make it myself if I cannot find what I want elsewhere.

I am a very detailed oriented person so if it does not look exactly how I want it to, I will rebuild it though to make it look like I how I envisioned it to be, or if I come up with new ideas along the way. I create quite a few custom pieces though when I am not content with what is available. I am not afraid to mix things in as long as they look like they are supposed to be there. Welding Playmobil baby animals to Lego actually blend better with the older Lego animals than their new one do as well as finding things like flower bead caps that look better than their crappy friends flowers they have and fit on the Lego flower stems great. Things like this work well to make forests and gardens look even better:
The colors and shapes look much better than the translucent flowers they have been making.

Playmobil animals also look more like the originals than the goofy looking friends, so I turn them into "Lego" by welding them:
playmobil animals:

Friends weird looking animals:

original Lego animals:

I customize a ton of other stuff but these are the easy ones you can easily find to make a scene look better without having to mess it up with the goofy friends components.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
TheVampwizimp said:
As nerds (I assume I can call everyone here that), we all have something we get nerdy about. Some of us are obsessed with anime, some of us spend thousands on Warhammer figurines, some of us go nuts for the MCU.
"Nerds"? You mean geeks. Nerd refers to intelligence, Geek refers to obsession.
I've been pretty into D&D 5E.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Used to be hardcore into GW, but GW spent a lot of time seemingly intent on discouraging that.

Chimpzy said:
On one hand I get you, but on the other hand, it's just so much fun to warn people (including otherwise educated ones) about the dangers of dihydrogen monoxide.
It's always amusing when someone tries doing that, but just says hydrogen oxide and doesn't specify which. Cause hydrogen peroxide is nasty for reals.

Souplex said:
Eh, people argue about the terminology.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Thaluikhain said:
Used to be hardcore into GW, but GW spent a lot of time seemingly intent on discouraging that.
Spotted the Warhammer Classic player.

As for me, collecting Anime. I have an entire shelf that runs from wall to wall that's ones I won that I have yet to even watch, many still being in their wrap.

I've also bounced around a few things in the past that I've collected, with right now seeing me backing quite a few kickstarter boardgames for reasons even I haven't figured out.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
the December King said:
Lovecraft's stories, and writers from his circle/ weird fiction in general, like Robert E Howard, Clark Ashton Smith, August Derleth, Frank Bellknap Long, Algernon Blackwood, Robert Chambers, Ramsey Campbell, etc. - and loads of more modern writers of supernatural horror literature in general- I'm downloading ghost and horror novels and short story collections every three days, and it's never enough!

However, I do not as a general rule enjoy engaging others in my passions: I'm not interested in pissing contests, nor personal critiques of my escapism.
Have you tried reading Sheridan Le Fanu and Arthur Machen? Those guys would be right up your alley.

Sep 24, 2008
Souplex said:
TheVampwizimp said:
As nerds (I assume I can call everyone here that), we all have something we get nerdy about. Some of us are obsessed with anime, some of us spend thousands on Warhammer figurines, some of us go nuts for the MCU.
Thank you. I now have to spend the rest of the night trying to figure out if I'm a Nerdy Geek, or a Geeky Nerd.

Of course, I'm spending a friday night doing that instead of... being social. So one of those terms should be apt enough.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
ObsidianJones said:
Souplex said:
TheVampwizimp said:
Thank you. I now have to spend the rest of the night trying to figure out if I'm a Nerdy Geek, or a Geeky Nerd.

Of course, I'm spending a friday night doing that instead of... being social. So one of those terms should be apt enough.
"Dork" refers to lack of social ability. You can be one, two, all three, or none of the above.

Dec 10, 2012
Souplex said:
TheVampwizimp said:
So, linguistics nerd. Got it ;)

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
David Lynch and his filmography. I wouldn't call him a role model because I'm not really one for hero worship but I think his works had a greater impact on my life and who I am right now than anyone elses. I'm not sure if I want to call it an obsession but I have a great love for almost everything he's made.

Other than that... I dunno, pretty much every franchise I like has been ruined at some point. I mean, I very consistently enjoy Star Wars but knowing some people who genuinely are obsessed with Star Wars I can tell you with some confidence that I'm not obsessed, by any means, with Star Wars. I dunno. I guess you can say I'm obsessed with movies. I love movies. I live for movies. Film is my passion. Video games too, but less so.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
PsychedelicDiamond said:
David Lynch and his filmography. I wouldn't call him a role model because I'm not really one for hero worship but I think his works had a greater impact on my life and who I am right now than anyone elses. I'm not sure if I want to call it an obsession but I have a great love for almost everything he's made.

Other than that... I dunno, pretty much every franchise I like has been ruined at some point. I mean, I very consistently enjoy Star Wars but knowing some people who genuinely are obsessed with Star Wars I can tell you with some confidence that I'm not obsessed, by any means, with Star Wars. I dunno. I guess you can say I'm obsessed with movies. I love movies. I live for movies. Film is my passion. Video games too, but less so.
My take from this is that you're a film buff and Lynch is your favourite movie maker.

Smithnikov_v1legacy

May 7, 2016
Alien/Aliens memorabilia.
Serial killer lore.
Stage acting.
Quirky, incredibly stylized video games. Also side scrolling beat em ups.
A CCG called Shadowfist and it's associated RPG Feng Shui.
Grindhouse and Drive In era movie trailers. Not the movies themselves, just adore the trailers.
Writing screenplays that will never happen.
Chop Socky films, the worse and more obscure, the better.
Tabletop RPG's that aren't Dungeons and Dragons.

Smithnikov_v1legacy

May 7, 2016
Saelune said:
Cant fucking wait or TESVI! I bet it will take place in High Rock AND Hammerfell. Been spending a lot of time prattling on about lore in the meantime, mostly about Morrowind lore though. (Fuck Michael Kirkbride though, his fanfiction is NOT CANON!)
Speaking of that, someone recommended to me Legacy of the Dragonborn mod for Skyrim, and wouldn't even tell me why at the time. Besides the whole museum it's centered around, you actually get to take a trip to friggin Elseyr. If you're still playing, give it a shot.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
I Collect Playstation stuff.
Mostly games, but I've also got some other things like a mugs, clothing, and various gaming accessories.

I also Collect EEVEE stuff.
I've got about 10 wallets, various cards - figurines - jewelry, etc...

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
My SR in OW atm. Okay, not obsessed with it, not really.

I'm obsessed with women though. Probably to an unhealthy degree. Hard to let go, as it has drilled into my subconscious and made a comfy nest.

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
Tanis said:
I Collect Playstation stuff.
Mostly games, but I've also got some other things like a mugs, clothing, and various gaming accessories.

I also Collect EEVEE stuff.
I've got about 10 wallets, various cards - figurines - jewelry, etc...
Yea I have a friend who was obsessed with EEVEE.. so I knew just what to do.. I said " EEVEE was a sheep", had everyone else trying to convince him that EEVEE was really a sheep and he completely lost it. He lost it so bad over this that everyone started "BAAAAA'n" at him and he has a conniption fit every time he even thinks about it and will leave the room. ( Yes I know EEVEE is not a sheep, but this was just too good to pass up. ) HAHA! XD

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
Johnny Novgorod said:
Have you tried reading Sheridan Le Fanu and Arthur Machen? Those guys would be right up your alley.
Definitely Machen- I needed to experience one of the the major influential writers of the likes of Lovecraft and Klein. But Le Fanu is a new name to me- I'll look around and see what I can dig up.

Ogoid

Nov 5, 2009
the December King said:
Definitely Machen- I needed to experience one of the the major influential writers of the likes of Lovecraft and Klein. But Le Fanu is a new name to me- I'll look around and see what I can dig up.
I can heartily recommend Carmilla, if you're into vampire fiction. Definitely the best pre-Stoker vampire novel I've read.

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
Ogoid said:
the December King said:
I can heartily recommend Carmilla, if you're into vampire fiction. Definitely the best pre-Stoker vampire novel I've read.
I certainly have no problems with vampires in my fiction. I'll have a look.

Also, back on topic, I love 'found-footage' horror movies. This is despite most of them having crap stories and being crap movies, I watch them all- I just fell in love with the immersive nature of the format and was definitely sold on the better examples of the genre, like The Blair Witch Project , Cloverfield, REC and Paranormal Activity (with nods to Frankenstein's Army for fucked-up visuals, and the Grave Encounters movies for some fun twists on the genre).

Actually, as of writing this, I'm currently in the middle of watching They're Watching on Netflix. So far, really enjoying the chemistry between the protag/victims, while sympathizing with these character's burdens and jobs pre-getting murdered by whatever (the main characters all work in T.V and film, and I used to, too).

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
Well, I don't know if I'd use the word obsession, but there are a few thing I would say I'm very passionate about

1. D&D / RPGs
- I have 2 games a week, one on Monday in which I'm a player (level 17 Revised Ranger) and one that moves depending on our schedules which I DM. I had always wanted to play D&D and after I finally got the chance the floodgates were opened. I spend way more time than I'm interested in admitting thinking about plot lines, reading lore, making characters, etc. My buddy is going to be DMing me and my girlfriend bi-weekly so we can explore some other games as well. Our first session of Fading suns is this Wednesday.

2. Batman / Comis
-Probably pretty obvious from the avatar but I love the character. While I originally only read Batman initially, I've branched out into the other DC titles much more. I actually just finished Geoff John's pre-New 52 run on Green Lantern last night. I'm just getting into the rebirth stuff any my rotation right now is Batman, Nightwing, Detective, Superman, Red Hood, and the Flash. I'll probably check out a few more as well. I enjoy the Marvel movies but for some reason I'm just not interested at all in the comics. Reading DC takes away the sting of their movies (which I don't bother with anymore) being so bad.

3. Cars
-I love cars. I love car reviews, I love car racing, I love car modifications. My mildly modded G37 (exhaust, high-flow cats, intake, tune, springs, wheels) is getting long in the tooth and I am constantly half seriously shopping for my next vehicle. Thinking a Chevy SS or a Camaro - most likely the latter just due to the pricing and (let's be honest) power.

4. The gym
I pick things up and put them down

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Over the years I've had a few obsessions. When I was a kid, I had a thing for dinosaurs, when I got older, I got really into anime (and the Japanese culture). I suppose I've mostly grown out of these obsessions, but I'm still a fan.

My current obsession is the musical Hamilton, both as a fan of music and a history buff. Admittedly I only got into it fairly recently, but I'm so glad I did...