What are your thoughts on Metro 2033?

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
I don't have much to say about it. What little I played was enjoyable enough. But the game was awfully dark. I got tired of fighting black enemies in a sea of black unlit scenery pretty quick.

Not that it's particularly the games fault mind you. I do believe it was my TV. So I resigned from the game with an asterik in place; *Come back to this one when you purchase a new television.

Good atmosphere though. Interesting setting. All in all I was very intrigued, but unable to cope with technical issues.

Kiyotaki

Dec 21, 2010
I Had Metro 2033 for a while and it was an alright game, they REALLY put emphasis on how weak your weapons are, when I played it it seemed like one of those games that will sacrifice anything and everything to tell its story which I enjoyed.
Looking forward to its sequel but I don't think its worth the usual $60 pricing since it feels short

Mirror Cage

Dec 6, 2010
It was fun. But it was also a bit short and shallow for my tastes.
(for reference, I was one of the folks who enjoyed ME1 more than 2)

Professor Cubbage

Aug 19, 2009
I absolutely love the game. It has the best atmosphere out of all the games I've ever played and although it is fairly linear there are still opportunities to do a bit of exploring.
Hopefully the sequel maintains all that made the first game great but improves the issues with AI and stealth approaches.

Johnnydillinger

Aug 16, 2011
It's alright, but playing it after reading the book makes it look like crap. It's too bright alright, I expected the metro to be pitch black, maybe with even using a new game mechanic noone else tried so far: navigating through levels where you only HEAR and not SEE. Anyway, this is probably godhard to do and it's just a silly game idea my brain farted out when reading the book. Still, navigatin through pitch black tunnels with a single flashlight or in cases bigger light sources would have made a better atmosphere than a series of tunnels lighted with atmospheric green Halloween stagelights.

Point is, yeah it's alright but I could not imagine how they'll make the book into a videogame. The answer is: completely rewrite it, which is bullshit. Yeah, main characters are there (some are renamed though; are they afraid of russian names or what?), some story elements are untouched and all, but overall it's just a bleak reminder of the book. Why couldn't they make a game based in that universe and then maybe make it have a close connection to the book? Why not have a sequel to the book and the game (which is confirmed), and have them lead 2 parallel stories, intertwining and/or eventually merging? I'm also not nitpicking here; for Christ's sake you go on the surface before meeting Khan (happened WAY far in the book and Khan was nowhere then), with a guy who, without spoiling anything, just should't be there, and in broad daylight. Artyom almost dies because of daylight in the book; not only is it lethal, it can blind anyone too.

The most inexcusable thing it has is spoiling the very awesome Outer Limits-esque ending of the book, which makes me ironically wish if they altered that too to a more hollywoodish ending. This is only because the book, as awesome it may be, was a lot unfocused. I rarely use that word, but here I still didn't know where the plot was heading before the last chapter. Surely, the surprising ending all fixed that but it hardly stands as an excuse for it. But try reading the book now, where you know what happens in the end. That one huge redeeming factor to a decent book is spoiled, making it only a decent one instead of a very good one. Man I'm glad I've read the book first.

Anyway, the game part of the game is alright, I didn't care too much about the stealth as at least it doesn't require you to do it, only a suggested way with alternative solutions. The combat is all good, and I like the atmosphere despite bearing no similarities to what I imagined from the book. It's an above average shooter, but I won't recommend it for anyone who wants to read the book. Go get that instead, you should play the game after FINISHING it. Other than that, yeah it's... good.

Hydro Imp

May 30, 2009
I pretty much agree with what has already been said by most, very atmospheric, loved the weapons and the setting, it is defiantly worth the time to play.

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
Incredibly atmospheric. It's a game I wont play in the dark to say the least. I loved the odd accessory things like the hand cranked torch. That and the whole feeling of being behind the gas mask and seeing the condensation and the progressive damage to it as you get hit.

The guns fit perfectly into the game aswell. You're damning them to reload faster or recharge, but they're all you have in all that's left of the underground.

All in all, a very believable (Ok maybe not the mutant telepathic monster thingies, but moreso the reds and the nazis) engaging experience.

If they ever translated it to a film I'd watch the fuck out of it.

pandasaw

Mar 18, 2011
I thought it was alright. I liked the atmosphere, but I thought the game play was dull.

Spandexpanda

Mar 16, 2011
Johnnydillinger said:
It's too bright alright, I expected the metro to be pitch black, maybe with even using a new game mechanic noone else tried so far: navigating through levels where you only HEAR and not SEE.
The only problem with being able to only hear and not see is that people don't pay good money for the experience of blindly fumbling around in the dark. If someone wanted to do that they could simply turn off the lights. No self respecting game studio is going to make audio only sections of in game play, especially considering the amount of time you actually spend in the metro tunnels.

OT: Awesome game, awesome visuals, truly chilling atmosphere. The enemies were so tough to kill (on the surface that is) that they truly do become fearsome.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
I love it's what I ask for from an FPS like that. love the environments, the gameplay, the enemies, and guns.

Sweet fuck do I love the guns.

Big problem is one word: bulletsponge

Best of the 3

Oct 9, 2010
If the stealth was better I would have loved that game to death. It had the perfect makings to a stealth game but it was buggy.

Other then that it was engaging, a good stroy to keep me interested, and made an apocolyptic world interesting.

Virgilthepagan

May 15, 2010
I think it's excellent. As others have pointed out, stealth and AI problems, and I only beat the amoeba level because I found a glitch, but it's easily one of my favorite games.

Politi

Feb 28, 2010
Johnnydillinger said:
It's too bright alright, I expected the metro to be pitch black, maybe with even using a new game mechanic noone else tried so far: navigating through levels where you only HEAR and not SEE.
See, the problem with that is that the human body is capable of far, far more than a tv. Even if we are robbed of our vision, we have an ability to locate anything in our immediate surroundings if it makes a sound. Also, we can feel our surroundings, something that, mercifully for players of combat-based games, games can't enable us to do outside of a controller's vibration function.

CannibalCorpses

Aug 21, 2011
Yeah, good game, i really enjoyed it. Multiple ways past each level, rewards for being dilligent, crazy mad ending that made no sense at all...all the things i love in a fps.

Stuntcrab

Apr 2, 2010
Its a perfect game, one in a million, the atmosphere, the weapons, the enemies its all great, its not some run and gun game, if you do run and gun you'll die quickly, honestly I recommend this to anyone who has not played it.