What aspect of gaming has progressed the least? What should be Focused on in the next generation?

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
The creativity in general. I can't believe how bland most games look, and are. Either that, or they're just poorly put together. I have to always do so much research to see if it's worth anything.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
tippy2k2 said:
I think this has actually taken a step backwards, let alone had progression and is, in my ever so humble opinion, THE most important thing that the next generation has to focus it's efforts on.

Graphics
More grey and brown
More shooters
More darkness and angst
More hookers
...actually, un-strike that last one but that's not my "official" answer here.

Artificial Intelligence

I can not remember the last modern game that outsmarted me. They've out-played me. They've beat me because they were stronger, faster, and better than me. But it's been a long long long time since I've gotten to do my Jurassic Park "Clever Girl..." impression at a video game.

The current generation is a bunch of dumb blondes with big ol' boobies: Looks great but a few fries short of a Happy Meal. The next generation NEEDS to improve this and I am cautiously optimistic about this.
The last time AI seemed to completely get to me was the Halo games. Seriously, Bungie and so far 343 have proven that enemy AI are completely awesome from them.

I'd say we need to focus on more variety. We get way too many shooters about Modern Warfare based games. Dishonored and Dark Souls show me that we can have games with imagination

gamernerdtg2

Jan 2, 2013
Benpasko said:
gamernerdtg2 said:
If we look at genres, I can answer this.
Brawlers (anything that plays like Double Dragon or Final Fight) have died.
Brawlers aren't dead, they're just a niche genre these days. We still have Castle Crashers, Shank, Double Dragon Neon, and that Scott Pilgrim game people liked.
I'll check out Shank. DD Neon is ok...I could get on my soap box about it, but seeing as how there are slim pickin's these days I'll leave it alone. Castle Crashers is great but I'm currently stumped because I need the 3 items to go across the river. Scott Pilgrim is really River City Ransom.

My point in bringing these games up is that there could be WAY more of a development investment in this "niche" genre. I've found that anything that I enjoy playing has brawler mechanics of some sort. Invincible Tiger: The Legend of Han Tao was a breath of fresh air. I was really surprized by Ninja Gaiden Razor's edge for the PS3 (I just got the demo). NG 3 was dissapointing. I like Gaiden and Bayonetta b/c they're super gritty in the way that Double Dragon was. Amalur has several moments too, even though it's an RPG.

I wish it wasn't niche, as you put it, but that's better than dead. That's a better way to look at it.

gamernerdtg2

Jan 2, 2013
I would say that Vindictus looks like it has some brawler elements that go back to Golden Axe. Also Dragon's Dogma since I'm mentioning Vindictus.

irani_che

Jan 28, 2010
Toxic Sniper said:
irani_che said:
Skyrim occasionally had this problem of being surrounded and you strike the enemies one at a time and block the same way
the shouts, especially Fusrodah were there to help clear fights if you were surrounded and had to deal with too many people at once. Thats why they gave it to you so quickly.
That's a good example of getting out of this sort of trap; instead of letting the ai look dumb, the player is encouraged to be in situations where the ai can excel.

For all the crap I give Skyrim's ai, that's pretty damn smart.

irani_che said:
I never played Dark souls but it looks like it requires alot of dodging, circling round and not getting surrounded
That's pretty much it, and when it works, it makes the ai look very relentless. Unfortunately, the Dark Souls ai does have a fatal flaw of not aggroing from long distances, meaning that a bow-reliant character is less likely to enjoy it than a melee character or even magic-reliant character. Also, the simple pathfinding becomes MUCH more obvious on levels with bottomless pits where the ai will merrily run over an edge to get to you.

It's all about the situation. A smart ai can look like an idiot if the level design or enemy placement works against it, while the worst ai an look like a genius if it's in a place where the few things it can do shine through.

skyrims AI is kinda dim, no arguments, especially in ranged stealth combat, but like its pretty dim in the walk up and hack,

rather than make the AI smarter, they simply used the dragon-shouts to stop the enemies from overwhelming new players,
its a good test on how good a fighter you are in skyrim by seeing how rarely you need shouts or potions

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Non-violent character interactions. We need more games with credible markets and ways of dealing with social interaction that go beyond simple dialogue wheels. Text adventures and even games like Captain Blood found ways to create at least the illusion of more compelling interaction between players and NPCs; while the perceived need for big games to be fully voice-acted puts a crimp in such development, there's really no good reason someone couldn't make a game that eschewed that in favor of more fully-fleshed-out NPCs and interactions.

I've said before that I would love to see a game like Skyrim where a caravan-travelled road being freed of bandits or a game like X-Com where a sudden flood of plasma weaponry appearing on markets on Earth had a real impact on the game world; that remains the case.

King Aragorn

Mar 15, 2013
TehCookie said:
King Aragorn said:
TehCookie said:
King Aragorn said:
TehCookie said:
The creative part. Old games have wonderful fantasy words that were interesting to explore. Part of that may be because the graphics weren't good enough to mimic reality so they had to change it but I loved that. Current gen games are way to focused on realism. Chrono Cross still look gorgeous to me and has a beautiful world that draws you in, or even the older Final Fantasies do that well. Not to mention the soundtracks were great in both as well and were used to enhance the experience. I don't play that many modern games that make me go "wow this looks beautiful" even though graphics are so much better.

Then again I feel like one of the few people who plays games to escape reality. I also like protagonist I don't relate to since I like the opportunity to be someone I'm not, it the devs aren't completely to blame but also the market.
Games still have such worlds. Take a look at Dishonored, for example. Creativity has not got anywhere, people, in my opinion, are just too focused on your brown and grey shooter, and for that, many titles fly over their heads.
A better rebuttal would be it's because I remember all the old great games and forgot all the bad ones so I'm comparing great games from the past to present mediocre ones. Of course there are still good modern games and bad old games, I think the ratio of bland settings to great settings has changed. Naming one title doesn't change that. Also do you think I'm not looking for games that appeal to me?
Which is where I disagree. Dead Space, Dragon Age, Mass Effect are other examples. I don't think myself creativity has taken a step back/lessened, and yes, everybody does look for what appeals to them, but when the biggest games on the market and grey/brown shooters, I think people think too much of the idea that everything is like that.
Dead Space is a grey shooter, and Dragon Age is generic fantasy, neither are very unique. I'm not saying they aren't good games, but they aren't very creative. Better examples would be games like Xenoblade Chronicles or Nier and Mass Effect is another good one you mentioned. A lot of others ones I enjoy are all series that started last gen like Disgaea, which may not have a graphical pretty world but you still get a good grasp of what the world is like, and it's completely different that draws my interest.
Dead Space isn't really a gray shooter. At the very least 2/3 aren't, the Sprawl was a interesting haunted house like-attraction, and the frozen planet was a nice breath of fresh air. And while Dragon Age might be very..Tolkien-esque, it does have some additions/changes here and there that make it unique.