What Book Have You Read Do You Think Should Be Turned into a Video Game or Movie, but Hasn't?

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
Solnishka said:
I'm gonna throw some other series out there that I loved, and would be great TV/Movies: The Sirantha Jax books by Ann Aguire, The Weather Warden books by Rachel Caine, and the Codex Alera books by Jim Butcher.

And yes, more space between Weeks readings.
Finlay somebody else sees the potential for a codex Alera movie. It has great plot twists and the battles would make the ones in the lord of the rings look very small.

I also think that the Dresden files would make a good movie series, plenty of plot twists, lots of action, comedy (who else wants to see Bob on the big screen?) and it would bring back vampires away from the crap, emo vampires that twilight has made. And before anyone says that they made a dresden files tv series that series did not even follow the book, changed most half the characters, left out the other half and just completely fucked up in general.

I also agree with you about the night angle trilogy but I think it would be difficult to find the right actor to play Duzo Blint. The guy is so awesome I cannot think who would do him justice.

Eomega123

Jan 4, 2011
A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole would be an amazing movie and twice as confusing as Inception, but everytime they try to make it the lead actor dies or the director gets called away or New Orleans gets flooded.

Custard_Angel

Aug 6, 2009
Hiname said:
Lets see, we have two discworld books that turned unto movies by now... Soooo..

Can I haz Grim Reaper next? Please?
Grim Reaper? Reaper Man I assume?

Also, on the Discworld track, there's a fairly good adaptation of Going Postal. I personally would like to see Guards! Guards! or Men at Arms or something. Sam Vimes would be a great character to see on film.

Aside from Discworld I'd like to see someone pick up Guillermo Del Toro's project of At the Mountains of Madness. Everything I've heard about the proposal has been amazing and I think its a shame that it hasn't been made yet.

Solnishka

Nov 7, 2008
Gizmo1990 said:
Solnishka said:
I'm gonna throw some other series out there that I loved, and would be great TV/Movies: The Sirantha Jax books by Ann Aguire, The Weather Warden books by Rachel Caine, and the Codex Alera books by Jim Butcher.

Finlay somebody else sees the potential for a codex Alera movie. It has great plot twists and the battles would make the ones in the lord of the rings look very small.

I also think that the Dresden files would make a good movie series, plenty of plot twists, lots of action, comedy (who else wants to see Bob on the big screen?) and it would bring back vampires away from the crap, emo vampires that twilight has made. And before anyone says that they made a dresden files tv series that series did not even follow the book, changed most half the characters, left out the other half and just completely fucked up in general.

I also agree with you about the night angle trilogy but I think it would be difficult to find the right actor to play Duzo Blint. The guy is so awesome I cannot think who would do him justice.

I've seen tons of castings on the Brent Weeks forums, and an overwhelming amount of people thing Angelina Jolie would make the best Momma K... Personally, I don't know how I feel about that. But yeah. While Logan and most of the female characters would be easy enough to cast, my real concern lies in Kylar and Durzo. Because if they aren't right everything falls to pieces.

Also throwing out there that my favorite Night Angel characters were Logan and inexplicably Ben (Scarred) Wrable (who'd have figured), and if they were to leave out Ben, I'd rage.

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
Lizardon said:
They made an Alex Rider movie
Wasn't very good :-(

I'd really like to see Wheel of Time movies or a TV series.
I'm aware of this horror. That's why I said "pretending they'd be done well". I haven't watched more than five minutes. It was on foxtel, I noticed Ms Jones was black, winced, then some guys went and kidnapped Jack Starbright, and I stopped watching. Wheel Of Time would be awesome, I think it'd either have to be a massive tv series, or a massive, massive amount of movies. Ooh, also, adapt all of David Eddings works into tv series.

Corekrash

Aug 26, 2010
While my top pick would be that they change their mind on the Mountains of Madness and do make it into a film,

My choice for a video game/Movie adaptation would be the book Storm of Iron by Graham Mcneill. Picture the siege of the white city from the end of lord of the rings, only with guns, War machines the size of skyscrapers, Chaos Space Marines, and the battle would go on for just about the entire film in a movie adaptation (While still having a great storyline, not just 2 and a half hours of explosions). Although if they ever did that, knowing my luck, they would get Michael bay to do it...

In a game, well it would just be awesome to see Warhammer titans going toe to toe

Wintermute_

Sep 20, 2010
See my avatar?
The Neuromancer trilogy would be an amazing, fantastic movie trilogy, if cast right and the director bothered with maintaining as much continuity as possible.
Hell, if the Matrix made money and garnered fandom, then the actual story of the books that inspired The Matrix should to! so long as Mr. Reeves is kept as far away as possible...

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
Solnishka said:
Gizmo1990 said:
Solnishka said:

I've seen tons of castings on the Brent Weeks forums, and an overwhelming amount of people thing Angelina Jolie would make the best Momma K... Personally, I don't know how I feel about that. But yeah. While Logan and most of the female characters would be easy enough to cast, my real concern lies in Kylar and Durzo. Because if they aren't right everything falls to pieces.

Also throwing out there that my favorite Night Angel characters were Logan and inexplicably Ben (Scarred) Wrable (who'd have figured), and if they were to leave out Ben, I'd rage.
I think that the prequel that go's into the background of Duzmo and Momma K also has more appearances of scarred wrable but I am not sure. Also a third character that would be difficult to cast, in my opinion anyway, is Dorian as he go's through quite a few personality's before going completely mad.

LadyMint

Apr 22, 2010
Alas Babylon by Pat Frank. It was one of the first books I remember reading in high school that got me interested in reading. I'm not sure if it would make a good game unless you count the survival aspect, but it would definitely be a decent movie.

TheAceTheOne

Jul 27, 2010
Night Angel Trilogy for either a game or a movie.

Dresden Files: Same.

John Dies at the End: Game. Movie's coming out sometime in the future, which is gonna be (hopefully) amazing.

Solnishka

Nov 7, 2008
Gizmo1990 said:
I think that the prequel that go's into the background of Duzmo and Momma K also has more appearances of scarred wrable but I am not sure. Also a third character that would be difficult to cast, in my opinion anyway, is Dorian as he go's through quite a few personality's before going completely mad.
I read and finished the prequel in a single day, which I'm not calling a feat because it was extremely short. I loved every minute, I simply wish there were more minutes.

Wrable does make an appearance in the prequel, but I won't say anymore as I know that there are Night Angel fans in this topic that haven't read Perfect Shadow yet.

Dorian... I hated at first, but grew to like as he grew as a character. The only character I never wound up liking was Elene.

Floppertje

Nov 9, 2009
Flatfrog said:
Floppertje said:
Flatfrog said:
David Eddings wrote one excellent sequence of books*, a reasonably diverting follow-up series, and an increasingly awful pile of dross. I blame his wife - the more credit she got, the worse the books became.

* Well, it was fantastic in a light, easy reading sense. It's not like it was profound or nuffin'.
It would be a pretty awesome movie :D
I don't see how you think it's not profound though... care to elaborate?
Just to be clear, we're talking about the Belgariad, yes?

Well, it's your basic fantasy adventure story in the destiny mould. It's a romp that bears all the hallmarks of being written by starting with the world map and finding a story that goes through all the bits of it. The characters are nicely written, and it's got decent ideas of magic and prophecy, although logically a bit flawed (and they got more flawed in the Malloreon, where it all kind of fell apart). Eddings has always suffered from a problem with good and evil, though - he tries to have his cake and eat it by creating a race of people who are all evil (as a result of worshipping an evil god) and thus morally ok to slaughter, and then making them redeemable (this is the same problem as the 'good demons' flaw in Buffy/Angel).

Don't get me wrong - I love the Belgariad and have read it several times. But you do have to switch your brain off a bit!
ah, yes. I noticed a few moments where I thought 'hang on, that doesn't make sense at all' for instance, there's tons of times when they're almost starving or freezing, but they can't do anything about it because the grolims would hear. but then, I think it was in the fourth book of the malloreon, they just go: it's alright, they'll all think another one of them did it. major facepalm.
and the whole evil race thing did always seem slightly racist to me. maybe that's why in the malloreon he made them seem a bit nicer.

Ignuus66

Sep 23, 2010
Isaac Asimov books.. I am a fan of science fiction
(only the foundation and the robot series)

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
Solnishka said:
Gizmo1990 said:
I read and finished the prequel in a single day, which I'm not calling a feat because it was extremely short. I loved every minute, I simply wish there were more minutes.

Wrable does make an appearance in the prequel, but I won't say anymore as I know that there are Night Angel fans in this topic that haven't read Perfect Shadow yet.

Dorian... I hated at first, but grew to like as he grew as a character. The only character I never wound up liking was Elene.
Thank god someone did not like Elane I through it was just me. She was not a very interesting character, especially in shadows edge as for most of it she spent preaching Kylar to death, and was just overall to nice. I think Vi is a much better fit for Kylar as they have both murdered a ton of people and they both regret it and they are both trying to atone for what they have done.

Solnishka

Nov 7, 2008
Gizmo1990 said:
Thank god someone did not like Elane I through it was just me. She was not a very interesting character, especially in shadows edge as for most of it she spent preaching Kylar to death, and was just overall to nice. I think Vi is a much better fit for Kylar as they have both murdered a ton of people and they both regret it and they are both trying to atone for what they have done.[/quote]

I can't wait for him to write more post-Night Angel Tril books in that universe. He said he's done with Kylar as a protagonist, but I know he can't just leave it at nothing.

And no, Elene was not very interesting at all. She was pretty girl with a lot of issues. But Vi did all that better.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Books should stay books. Movies should stay movies. Games should stay games. With only a few exceptions, the transition to another medium never works.

kinglovejoy

May 21, 2009
Caveworm said:
Stephens Kings Dark Tower. Cowboys and magic ! Since there as been no decent Lord of the Rings games...

Not sure how the Dark Tower would work as a game.
They are going to make three films and two seasons of a TV mini series. Scheduled release May 2013. Javier Bardem (the hitman from No Country for Old Men) will be Roland.

Expect a tie-in game with it. And it'll be bad. :(