What books would make for a great game?

Thomas Barnsley

Mar 8, 2012
Ok, got some kid/teenage books that I think would work:

Artimis Fowl (play as a LEP-recon officer, be a badass fairy with a laser gun)

Keys to the Kingdom (you know Mister Monday, Grim Tuesday, etc... Lots of potential there, especially with Sir Thursday)

The Hunger Games (I personally found these books rather irritating, but there's no denying the game potential. There's actually a flash game online I'd recommend)

Tomorrow When the War Began (also a REALLY irritating book, but has potential. Maybe as a Walking Dead type game)

Mortal Engines (I believe someone has said this, but I agree. Would make an epic game)

I'm also going to go with Mogworld (Yhatzee's book. I would love to play Mogworld, the world creation sounds awesome)

Hull Zero Three ( definitely not a teen book, it's scifi horror. Not too dissimilar to Dead Space I suppose)

Seventh Actuality

Apr 23, 2010
Anything by Brandon Sanderson, his fantasy novels provide lots of opportunity for action and very well-defined magic systems that sometimes seem more designed for a video game than a book anyway.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
jackdeesface said:
GonzoGamer said:
They made some good Harry Potter games: open world version of Hogwarts to run around.
The Discworld games were pretty good too: point & click adventures wit Eric Idle.

I would really like to play a game based on Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas. The plot would make for a really good tower defense game.
I found the first two discworld games to be too bizarre in the 'logic' needed for the puzzles. Discworld Noir was ace though. I'd also recommend checking out the Discworld MUD, a text based MMORPG, free and run by fans.
Sounds cool, we never got Discworld Noir in the US. I would like to see that pop up on the psn store. I can't even imagine what a text based mmorpg is like. I imagine it's even more time consuming than a regular mmorpg. Probably very interesting but I don't have time to delve into something like that.

deckpunk

Apr 5, 2011
GonzoGamer said:
I would really like to play a game based on Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas. The plot would make for a really good tower defense game.
I have no clue why, but I have always envisioned Thompsons magnum opus being adapted in to a text based adventure a la zork. Stay with me, just imagine it...

Your friend has taken ALL THE ACID and now he wants you to throw the tape player in to bathtub at the moment White Rabbit by Jefferson Airplane reaches its crescendo thereby electrocuting him.
What do you do?
(a) Fuck him he's doomed, get the fuck outta dodge and let the police come up here and beat the almighty shit out of him.
(b) Throw the tape player in, this mutant will probably survive.
(c) Admire the shape of his skull...
(d) GRAPEFRUIT!

Also, I would really like a Dresden Files game, make it an rpg in the vein of deus ex or dishonored.

the_great_cessation

Nov 29, 2011
I'll back up Discworld. I also think they could make an interesting game out of the Night Watch series - think a mix of Gothic Horror and Urban Fantasy with a distinctly Russian flavor to it.

Feb 22, 2009
A big-budget, super-pretty-looking, Witcher-style action-RPG version of Beowulf. I WOULD PAY GOOD MONEY FOR THIS. And it's the perfect structure for an RPG too, it's basically visit a hub, go fight a monster, return to hub for reward, and so on. It'd be great.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
About the only book series I can think of that might make a decent game/game series would be The Keys to the Kingdom Series by Garth Nix. As much as I love the books I'm not sure how good a game it would be.

Timedraven 117

Jan 5, 2011
Imperial Guard Omnibus. You have several games in one story line campaign. First you have the Catachans on a deathworld. The next your a raw recruit from a Agriworld, where his regiment is sent TO THE WRONG PLANET! His entire company dies when they make a mad dash to the nearby Imperial guard trenches in a ork siege after their shuttle just got shot down by a hundred rockets, that has lasted for more than a decade, and then have the challenge of lasting more then 24 hours to earn better gear and probe he earned his wheelbarrow for his brass balls all guardsmen are given. And finally with the same squad that took the last guy in you are sent to the SEWERS of the city to clear out feral orks and destroy the sewers entirely.

If that doesn't sound awesome then what is?

Do4600

Oct 16, 2007
Obviously, "Crime and Punishment" Kill the evil lender and spend the next three weeks battling your sense of morality.

Oly J

Nov 9, 2009
I think the Percy Jackson/Heroes of Olympus setting would make for a great game (bit less mature I know)games would certainly treat the property better than movies seem to, (having said that haven't seen Sea of Monsters yet, might be able to tomorrow)

Ix Rebound

Jan 10, 2012
Pretty much any Matthew Riley book
Specifically the Scarecrow series, I'm pretty sure that the main character in those books cause almost as much damage as a CoD character

Yellowfish

Nov 8, 2012
the_great_cessation said:
I'll back up Discworld. I also think they could make an interesting game out of the Night Watch series - think a mix of Gothic Horror and Urban Fantasy with a distinctly Russian flavor to it.
I'm fairly sure there was a Night Watch game. Maybe even more than one, in fact - I recall hearing mentions of a piece of movie tie-in shovelware and an online game (maybe even an MMO), which may or may not also be a piece of movie tie-in shovelware. I may be wrong, though, as I'm not a big fan of the series (more like, not a big fan of the author).

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Sight Unseen said:
Elfgore said:
I will repeat what I always say. Anything and everything written by Glen Cook would be a awesome open-world RPG and in some cases an epic space combat game. A Game of Thrones could be a great strategy or hell, even a good open-world RPG if the right people make it. Lord of the Rings, again would make a kick ass open-world RPG.

If you hadn't noticed yet I enjoy open-world RPGs.
Elfgore said:
I will repeat what I always say. Anything and everything written by Glen Cook would be a awesome open-world RPG and in some cases an epic space combat game. A Game of Thrones could be a great strategy or hell, even a good open-world RPG if the right people make it. Lord of the Rings, again would make a kick ass open-world RPG.

If you hadn't noticed yet I enjoy open-world RPGs.
Both of those already exist. There's a Game of Thrones RTS game and a Game of Thrones RPG. Sadly I think both are supposed to be terrible, but I think that's mainly because they were made by some nobody developer/publisher.

There is a pretty great Crusader Kings II Game of Thrones mod though... It's actually what inspired me to buy that game in the first place :p

I already knew about those two and heard they suck, so I don't count them. I will most defiantly try out the Crusader Kings mod though. Thank you for sharing that.

BlackJimmy

Jun 13, 2013
endtherapture said:
The Wheel of Time! They could make an awesome game in that setting.

Also the Mortal Engines setting could make an awesome steam/cyber-punk adventure game.
I believe there is already a game of The Wheel of Time out there

gamexpert1990

Sep 24, 2012
I've been toying with the idea of having a certain series of one of my favorite books being turned into either a movie or video game... the series in question is Andy McDermott's Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase novels, starting with The Hunt for Atlantis. If it were turned into a game, the only way I can see it going is in a somewhat Uncharted way, though maybe add segments to snap photos, such as I have seen in a handful of games...