What can save Sonic?

Ninja Tank

May 19, 2009
get back to the basics is the only way sonic can be saved, for i loved the first 2 sonic games if they made more of them i would buy them

Vasioth

Oct 23, 2009
Well I guess some Fanboys of the Nintendo and Sega franchise are now thinking with every Mario and Sonic game getting released "Why the fuck does Mario and Sonic even exist?". But this is a topic based on Sonic after all, but I will state the same for Mario. Both the Sonic the Hedgehog and Mario games haven't been that "Great" since the N64 and Dreamcast era. After that, when it went into the Gamecube/Ds/Wii/Xbox era with these games (Not necessarily on all these consoles before someone states something retarded, think about it) they kinda went downhill miserably. Actually, they died pretty much on the spot. Now I was a fan of the 2 3D versions of what I considered to be "Sonic the Hedgehog" games still, Sonic Adventure 1 and 2, but after that it makes you wonder why they never went back to producing them in 2D graphics, same goes for Mario on the N64.

1) Sonic Would be better if a) the Camera wasn't fucked, b) You only got characters that were like-able and c) If the Story wasn't written by Timmy aged 14.
2) Perhaps they could just continue the Adventure saga and use the same Game-Engine but with Improved Graphics, a few new extra's, story, etc.
3) They could actually let Crush 40 do songs which aren't pathetically shit (After SH)
4) Just screw the rules and go back to making them 2D Platformer's. The worlds a happy place...

SkullCap

Nov 10, 2009
Doug said:
MovieBob in his 'Game Overthinker' videos already beat you too it.

*sigh* YOUR opinion please. Surely even if your core opinions are the same you must have something different from Bob's opinion. (Authors Note: I'm not saying his opinion is bad, (because it's actually one of the best I've heard) but please try to provide something a little more than someone else's voice.)

The Real Sandman

Oct 12, 2009
Anyone who says 3D Sonic games can never be good have never played the Advenrure series.

Sonic Adventure was a great game that spawned an almost even better sequel (in terms of gamplay that is) and a fun Gamecube expansion.

The only reason Sonic games today suck ass is because most of the people who were responsible for making Sonic games that don't suck left Sonic Team.

Et3rnalLegend64

Jan 9, 2009
To all the guys saying go back to the basics: Wasn't the last announcement for a Sonic game modeled after the 2D games? So didn't they already do what you asked for? You just have to wait for it to come out.

SomeUnregPunk

Jan 15, 2009
kill off the other characters... everyone except for the Doctor, Sonic and either tails or knuckles. Make it like the Doctor did it in an attempt to kill off his long time opponent.

Kill off all the humans, make it a story element where either tails or knuckles did it to strike back because of the mass killing of their friends.

Have level design like the original game where speed was only a small part of the game and platforming was the larger part.

Have a story where sonic must beat up the Doctor and maybe tails or knuckles for their part in the mass genocides.

Then end the damn series where sonic is seen limping off in the dwindling sunlight in an Apocalypse type city.

Murlin

I came here to laugh at you
Jul 15, 2009
I can save sonic, giev rights for gaem kthxlol
OT:how about they consider just making it what it's supposed to be, a fast running platform game without useless secondary side doodles of ideas like swords and werewolves

A random person

Apr 20, 2009
lordlee said:
1. Make Sonic Adventure 02 again with a better camera and the pretty Chao Gardens from Adventure 01.
2. Make Money.
This, and add something about the treasure hunting sequences.

Also, remake Sonic 3 & Knuckles while you're at it if you can do it well, that game was awesome.

super_mumbles

Sep 24, 2008
I think if they just took the option to reboot the series it would work in their favour.
They would have the freedom to break away from all the previous games and start a clean slate.

Update the character designs a bit, change some names back *cough*Robotnik*cough*, trim the excessive amount of fat known as the supporting cast and just keep it to Sonic, Tails and Knuckles with maybe Amy or one or two of the Chaotix crew.

jboking

Oct 10, 2008
What would save sonic?

A new, good, 2D with the illusion of 3D game. Also, get rid of the stupid characters. Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Robotnic, Metal Sonic, and Shadow.

(edit: now that I think about it, Shadow is pushing it.)

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
A lot of people have been mentioning the Sonic Adventure games as their gameplay roots and I agree with that. Also change Eggman back into Robotnik from the AoStH version... just because that's what I think Sonic games should be. Wacky, crazy, fast fun.

That One Six

Dec 14, 2008
I think that Sonic needs to be dead. He's like the lame horse in some lazy farmer's backyard that he just hasn't gotten around to shooting yet. Its pained cries irritate the farmer, but not enough to kill it off. It's just bad for everyone involved.

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
I'm willing to be humane about my answer to this question.

The lethal injection.

See most people would have the option of putting him down olD Yeller style.
But at least with mine it'll be more like he goes to sleep for a REALLY REALLY long time.

I don't understand people's obsession with saying "Go back to 2D!" Yeah sure the games were supposdly only good back in the 2D era, although I stand by my decision that the sonic adventure series were fucking AWESOME games.

The flaw I see with everyone's view point about 2D is that the second the Sonic games do that, we'll be right back here saying "Oh it's alright for the sake of nostalgia, but the novelty wears off quick and of course no one trusts sonic team to NOT throw in a stupid new character/gimmick and with just cause, because they CAN'T be trusted with it.

I think what they need to do is reapproach the older core of the gameplay, just running, jumping, smashing robots and beating Robotnik... (That's right, I called him ROBOTNIK!)

Not necessarily on a 2D plane, carry on with 3D running forwards, just don't make the levels flow-breaking clusterfucks, which require seering orbs and vision inducing powders to navigate through.

And QTE's? NO, FUCK OFF not needed in a game like sonic, like I said, it breaks flow.

Did the original games ever really break flow? Only if you genuinely fucked up.
So why do the new games break flow as a gameplay mechanic?

So really, just return to basics but not necessarily 2D basics.

I mean Mario moved from 3D, but they didn't change the winning formula until they were comfortable, Sonic on the other hand jumped arsefirst into 3D with ridiculous notions that people love shoddily held together characters with swords, guns and psychic powers...

Not at all...

BaldursBananaSoap

May 20, 2009
A Sonic FPS with RTS elements and RPG stats in an open world with driving sim vehicle handling side missions and melee attacks with scimitars and country dancing QTE boss battle sections.

mokey91

Apr 9, 2009
Aren't they already making a new 2D Sonic game?

You know...Project Needlemouse...

ranger19

Nov 19, 2008
Honestly, I think that Sonic isn't too far off from a return to form. First, Sonic's had at least one good game in (relatively) recent memory: Sonic Rush for the DS, which was pretty fun and has a Metacritic score of 82, and was successful enough that it spawned a sequel, Sonic Rush Adventure, but I haven't played the sequel and can't vouch for it. (On a side note, Sonic occasionally seems to me to be slightly ahead of his time: Sonic Rush was a 2.5D game in exactly the same style as New Super Mario Bros., only a few years earlier, and the many small-worlds of Sonic Adventure 2 seem to me an early version of Super Mario Galaxy.)

So I feel continuing in line with Sonic Rush could work. Or maybe pull a Mega Man and release a Sonic the Hedgehog 4 on Xbox Live, PSN, and WiiWare, as an old-school platformer. Or (my personal favorite), make a Sonic Adventure 3. I LOVED the first one, and the second one was quite enjoyable too.

Finally, Sonic Team not too long ago released a trailer that I believe teased an up-and-coming sonic game that is only 2D levels, but with HD 3D graphics. Look it up. It sounds exciting.

PrimeSynergy

Aug 24, 2008
To be honest, I loved the day levels in Unleashed. Even the mini quick time events they had where you had to hit one of the bumpers/triggers to dodge something was pretty entertaining. It helped bring a (relatively) new element to the Sonic games even though it was small.

I can't understand why Sega just can't stick to the basics. Just make him run fast, kill a few enemies, and get to the boss. No weapons, overworld, extra characters, or any of that crap is needed.