What charity/volunteer work do you do?

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
My last thread was sad and depressing and made people argue and fight so let's try a new tactic!

For the third time, I participated in the MN Polar Plunge for Special Olympics. Basically this entails fundraising money (I raised $760 if anyone was wondering and because I'm dumb, I said I'd shave my head if I got to $750...my head is so very cold D:) and then you do the Polar Bear Plunge.

Normally this would involve a 5K but unfortunately I hurt my knee forever ago and couldn't do it (ironically, this is the first week it has felt 100% so I probably could have done it but it was too late) and then jumping into a lake. Normally that's not a big deal but this is Minnesota so we were at an incredibly warm 43 degrees at jump time (seriously, last year was -2 when we jumped so when I say balmy, I'm dead serious).

I also have been a volunteer coach for soccer for three years (and likely this will be my fourth year unless I end up getting a job that has me move away). I love me some soccer and helping kids learn how to play (and more importantly, how to play the right way! Too many coaches think winning the wrong way is the way to go but you're crippling your kids development you D-bags!) allows me to continue my soccer life.

So Choo Choo; All aboard the positivity train! Tell us how you help others out!

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
That moderating thing I did for almost four years was volunteer work.

That's, like, it. I did soccer coaching for one season, too.

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
I technically work for a charity.

I get paid a fair bit of money though so I don't know if that counts.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
The local libraries sometimes lose books. The books aren't stolen[footnote]though sometimes that happens too[/footnote], the librarians just can't figure out where they've gone. When that happens, I search for the books and find them about 85% of the time. It's not paid or anything, I'm just doing it for the satisfaction.

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
I've done some volunteering at a soup kitchen and a homeless shelter in the past few years.

Definitely nice experiences to have, even if I haven't done more "significant" work. I'm just satisfied to help people out in some way.

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
The closest Id come these days is that I donate blood and plasma, Plasma donations are like blood donations but they take longer and you can do them every fortnight.

I used to do some enviromental work, pulling weeds and maintaining walking tracks. but I dont do that since I now have a job to take my time up. Though if I lost it id be back out there I think.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
I currently volunteer at a hospice doing various office work.

In the past I've volunteered at a food bank, a deaf advocacy center, taught kids how to play chess at my local library, and was a referee for the Special Olympics.

Rylot

May 14, 2010
I volunteer with a Dachshund rescue group. We're a foster network and don't have a shelter. Started out just working booths at trade shows and taking dogs to vet appointments and forever homes. After a while my girlfriend at the time heard about a problem dog that no one wanted to foster and was possibly going to go back into the shelter system. She convinced me to give the dog a chance and try fostering. I said yes. He ran away eight times the first week. Two weeks later we'd adopted him. That was two years ago. He's still a little shit. After three years of volunteering We're on our fifth foster. Our latest is a fat 11 year old Red Dachshund named Oscar Myer.

I used to volunteer at a food pantry that was closed down back in July. It was necessary work but not my favorite. Most people were poor one income families or elderly and/or disabled folks who really needed it but weren't happy about being there. And the few people who'd try and scam more food from naive volunteers, 40 and 50 year old men hitting on the high school students, volunteers who absolutely hated being there, dip shit state employees who'd just make everything suck really brought the whole experience down.

My sled hockey team is trying to start up a kid's team which I'd love to help out with. Used to help coach a kid's wheelchair basketball team back in my home town.

Aetera

Jan 19, 2011
I'm the vice president of the board of directors of a wellness and recovery center for mental health. Being on the board is a volunteer gig. If you're on the board, according to the bylaws, you can't also have one of the paid positions there. I really enjoy it. The place saved my life when I needed it, and now I can give something back as the vice president.

Seishisha

By the power of greyskull.
Aug 22, 2011
I've never done any volunteer work, but i have donated to charity's in the past even if it was a small amount. I have taken in three dog's from the city dog's home over the years and found a stray cat that i kept if that counts for anything.

tilmoph

Gone Gonzo
Jun 11, 2013
The last volunteer thing I did was a 5k walk/run for a local veterans group. Other than that, I do more donating money than actual work.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
I work for one actually. It doesn't pay particularly well but it's also far less soul-draining than my last job and I get to meet lots of interesting people and learn neat things.

In the past I've done volunteer work with various organizations from the Boys & Girls club to local charity drives and soup kitchens. It's usually not very hard and not only does it feel rewarding but it looks good on your resume as well. I highly recommend it!

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Nothing. Even the work I do in a church is paid for. That is to say, I'm employed there. My folks do alot, because they're retired, bored, and have alot of time on their hands. I'm not against doing nice things without a pricetag. It's just that I don't do that on a specific charity or volunteer basis. The online stuff doesn't count. Kickstarter, Rocket, Desert Bus - Wonderful things, but it's not the same as working at a soup kitchen, helping people with therapy, and so on. Nothing in an official capacity. Uhhh...kind of tried my hand at armchair psychology to help friends of mine deal with their problems, prevented some suicide. That count?

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
Fieldy409 said:
The closest Id come these days is that I donate blood.
I finally went to donate blood for the first time a couple of months ago and they told me that my veins are too small and deep in my arm. I was in the chair and everything, ready to go and they spent a while trying to find a vein before deciding that I'd probably just end up bruised and bleeding everywhere.

They said that it might change over time but not to bother trying again for at least a few years.

I had to leave with my crappy veins of shame while all of the other staff members thanked me for my donation as I was leaving.

I felt so inadequate. D:

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Fieldy409 said:
The closest Id come these days is that I donate blood and plasma, Plasma donations are like blood donations but they take longer and you can do them every fortnight.
Hey, when you donate blood for the first time do they tell you your blood type?

It's just that I don't actually know mine and I figured that might be a good way to find out while also, y'know, helping out in a small way. It's not like I'm using the blood for much anyway.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Very little, I've helped out at my local theather when I was younger when they moved out the old furniture and placed in new seats and a stage. I've donated blood a few times if that counts and then for my football club when I was a kid I was raising money and managing some events.