What could drive you to take a life?

Frotality

Oct 25, 2010
well pretty much any healthy human would kill in self defense whether they want to believe it or not, its simply instinct, either youre a killer or youre dead. if killing wasnt a natural response to some things we never wouldve made it out of the ocean let alone have the society today that allows us to thrive and survive without having to end each other. modern conveniences are the only thing really holding us back, we can play at being benevolent because we no longer have to get dirty just to survive. most of us eat meat without a second thought, even knowing how awfully they animals are treated, because its simple instinct; eating meat= surviving. the moment someone's death becomes necessary for your survival, trust me, youll find your not so benevolent after all.

CCountZero

Sep 20, 2008
Kinda depends on the situation.

Don't think I could kill someone with a knife. Stab; if I had to, probably, and the receiver might die in the hospital later, but I doubt I could finish the job on the spot.

But then, if we're talking about using a firearm, I reckon I could easily distance myself mentally from a double-tap to the chest. The further away and the less physical action necessary, the more detached I'd be, I guess.

Edguy

Jan 31, 2011
I wouldn't hesitate a second to take a life if my own or someone close to me was on the line. Or that's what I assume, since I have never actually been in a situation like that.

hazabaza1 said:
Oh, I saw the title as "What would you drive to take a life" and I had ideas about running dudes over with a tractor or something. Now I'm disappointed.
Corn harvester.

Sectan

Aug 7, 2011
wombat_of_war said:
personally I wouldn't take a life to save my own.
I would in a heartbeat if it was self defense. If you come up to me with a weapon and want to kill me I will do everything in my power to stop you, including killing you if I have no other choice. I wouldn't feel good about it btw. If it's a life or death situation between a criminal and some random guy I'll always side with the random guy. If you want to incite random violence against someone you have to live or die with the consequences.

Rariow

Nov 1, 2011
I don't honestly think I could. Hard to say without having been put in that kind of situation, but I'm way too soft-hearted. I hide bugs from my roommates so I can let them go alive.

I'd like to think I'd do anything for my family, but when I'm honest to myself, I doubt I'd be strong enough even then, unless I'm also in danger myself (as selfish as that sounds), and even THEN I'd probably just cower until it's too late. But then again, adrenaline is one hell of a substance, so who knows.

...wow. Gotta say, I'm exactly the kind of person evolution has been striving to remove from the gene pool all this time. Good thing for me we're past that stage.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
I already know I have no hesitation in me if I'm being shot at, I just go all analytical and return fire as accurately as I can... so that's one stimulus. Pretty sure I'd do that in any situation where I perceive a deadly threat to me or mine... be it with firearm, blade, or just a prolonged blood choke.

But then, I don't have any beliefs about intrinsic value to human life. Ordinarily I go by "live and let live" (unless my target is food. Elk are made of the stuff. Who knew?)... but that's gone the instant violence happens anywhere in my vicinity.

Other things that could drive me to kill: rape. If I caught a rapist in the act, I'd most likely kill 'em on the spot (a few friends of mine are rape victims). Fortunately that hasn't happened, or I'd probably be a convicted murderer.

Joke answer: if a mothafucka looks at me crossways.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Well it's highly circumstantial, there are many hypotheticals I could think of where yeah I'd just kill the guy but on the other hand I can't be sure until I've done it.

Prefer to just dish out a good stern beating.

Patrick Buck

Nov 14, 2011
Self defense I imagine. Not much else seems worth it. Protecting someone I love as well, (Totally cop out answer) but only if the person I would be killing is a totally unambiguous bastard. Not much point otherwise, it would just be trading one life for another, as well as getting a load of that fabulous guilt.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
Well if someone is trying to kill me, I'll try to kill them right back.

Other than that I really couldn't say. It's kind of like those "what would you do in an emergency situation" things. You really don't know what you'll do until it actually happens.

hazabaza1 said:
Oh, I saw the title as "What would you drive to take a life" and I had ideas about running dudes over with a tractor or something. Now I'm disappointed.
Steampunk Dragon.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Someone trying to kill me or someone I care for would be reason enough, I think. But for all I know I'd paralyze and not be able to do anything, so who the fuck knows.

RamirezDoEverything

Jan 31, 2010
Multiple factors.
So long as those worthy of death aren't a family member/significant other, and the law wouldn't get me:

Homicide victim of my family? Death immediately.

Trying to kill me? Death immediately.

Trying to kill others? So long as those being killed don't deserve it, then immediately.

Evil leader? Anyone with the gravity of Hitler would be EASY to kill, in fact I think I'd relish the opportunity. Do you know how awesome it would feel to kill Bin Laden?

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
I would only kill in self defense or defense of someone I cared about. I would try not to, but I'm not going to stand there and let someone stab me or someone dear to me to death.

Gameguy20100

Sep 6, 2012
If I felt like they deserved it or it would be beneficial to others then I would kill them in a heartbeat.

Chaotic good no regrets!!

Feb 22, 2009
I have no idea and most likely neither does anyone else here. Principles are all well and good, and you can certainly say what you'd HOPE to do in a hypothetical situation, but you never actually know how you'll act until the moment you have to.

So I don't think I could ever kill someone, and I hope I couldn't even if I were put into a situation where I was expected to. But really, I don't know.

Akytalusia

Nov 11, 2010
i kill spiders all the time without a second thought. though i have recently been thinking that if they ever turned around and killed me, i couldn't blame them. they would be completely justified, and i'd only have myself to blame for perpetuating this war-like relationship standard. that's basically how it is i guess. killing's fine, as long as you acknowledge that it justifies your own death via your victim's associates. but aside from spiders, and innumerable microorganisms both deliberate and accidental, i would only kill for the sake of another and if there really was no other option. also, besides the previously mentioned things, i'd allow myself to die long before i'd kill for the sake of myself.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
I can't really kill myself because of usual body impulses along with "Stuff to see and stuff to do" but not in the literal sense of "I've got so much to live for" kind of way.

Wraith

Oct 11, 2011
Klondike bars, man. They are that good.

In all seriousness, it would have to be for the protection of myself or someone else I hold close. I would never join the military or anything like that to 'protect my home', but if some foreign threat was able to invade my country I imagine I would be willing to pick up a firearm to push them out.