What do you disagree with Yahtzee on?

Duffeknol

Aug 28, 2010
The man has copy/pasted my exact taste. It's eerie how we always see eye to eye on everything he brings up. However, I think there was a transfer error in there somewhere. Because screw Half-Life 2. I can't for the life of me figure out why he likes that game. But then again the entire world likes that game, so it might be the error lies with me this one time.

Entitled

Aug 27, 2012
Generally speaking, I dislike the same thing about him as about the Extra Credits guys, this attitude of theirs like they are looking for the Grand Unified Theory of All Gaming, as if games would have an objective purpose, and a theoretical "optimal game" that we just need to discover.

This just leads to arrogantly dismissing whole genres and styles,(even though they are doing exactly what their established fandom wants them to do) because they have the wrong kind of story/gameplay ratio, or they are more reliant on x value rather than y, and therefore obviously doing it wrong compared to what gaming "ought to be" about.

Pebkio

The Purple Mage
Nov 9, 2009
His disdain of Bioshock 2 and love of Bioshock Infinite. Which actually brings me to the real disagreement: Yahtzee places far too much importance on story that's told to the player. Every piece of entertainment comes with story, but a unique feature of games is that the story could be told through gameplay. I could read about Dewitt's little adventure and not miss a single detail.

His definition of "breaks the game" is "makes the shooty bits less necessary". He likes to make fun of Halo fans, but when it comes down to it, he can't think beyond projectile weapons either.

I also think he's got too much love for older styles of gameplay. Painkiller wasn't very fun, but it would've been back in the 90s when that's all we had. But I might be over thinking this, maybe he just doesn't like being tactical. He seems to hate cover-based shooting a lot (which Infinite made you do all the time, I'm still confused as to why he liked that game), and that forces you to be more tactical, not just run in circles holding down the "shoot" button.... or maybe the "secondary shoot" button.

But yeah, he's not a reviewer... not even critic. He's a Funnyman. He lives in a Funnyman house and eats typical Funnyman food. Yeah, he makes me laugh, but most comedy is based on ignorance. Yahtzee tends to leave a lot of stuff out of his "reviews" so that he can better crack wise.

NearLifeExperience

Oct 21, 2012
You know.. the thing is, you need to able to read between the lines. Sure, he nitpicks like mad, often takes something small (and sometimes not so small ) and blows it way out of proportion with some elaborate joke, but this is all entertainment. But if you tone down his snarly sarcasm, and leave out all the witty analogs and verbal machinegunning, he actually makes some real solid points, in my opinion.

That being said, there's one particular review however, that was just a shamefru dispray . You'll probably be very surprised by me me bringing this up.. but remember the Borderlands 2 video? He ripped that game to shreds, even for his standards it was quite harsh. I believe he compared it to a child trying to get into a club by pretending to be robbie williams with a bear costume (?) or something..? and he accused it of being the same shit in a snowsetting. And didn't Mr Yahtzee looked like an right ass when it became painfully obvious that he just quit after the first boss :p

After the first major boss, the game opens up into a wonderful open world with lots of shit to discover, a wide range of (actually different) enemies to fight and >9000 weapons to collect, challenging bosses like Terramorphous the Invincible, , not to mention trying to get Vermivorous to even spawn o_O

It also had a fun and actually helpful multiplayer co-op, very intelligent humor, a creative and vibrant atmosphere, to which in my opinon, the cell shaded graphics contributed a lot. And characters such as (surprise surprise) Tiny Tina, Handsome Jack, Gh0st, the hostile hyperion robots: *bzzzwooow ouchzz* "why o why was I programmed to feel pain?".
And the android lady voice-over on the hyperion New-U station (the respawn points) "Between you and us, that thing that killed you was a total dick. Please disregard this message if you committed suicide." It basically had everything that the prequel didn't have, just like a good sequel ought to be.

It's also such a welcome change from the bland on rails grey corridor sightseeing tours, that Yahtzee keeps complaining about (something I absolutely agree on). Granted, it took quite a while for the game to show it's true colours, but I bet that that if he'd played the game past the first real big boss, he would've enjoyed it. i'm positive of that.

Akichi Daikashima said:
sanquin said:
Yahtzee is not a reviewer. He's a comedian. His video's are meant to be entertaining and good for a few chuckles. To take them seriously to the extend of asking who disagrees with what points of him is just wrong in my opinion. Anyone who doesn't disagree with a lot of what he says needs to crawl out of their cynical cave and look at the real world. Because he exaggerates the negatives...a lot. At least that's how I see it.
Actually he's a critic that knows how to entertain his audience. :p

Not much really, I enjoyed a lot of the games he recommended immensely, and whatever he does hate that I like, I use as a way to reflect on my own opinion of the game.

I call it the "Yahtzee test".

Or it could be that he's grown on me, since I've been watching his videos for nearly 4 years, and that they are the highlight of my Wednesdays.
I think you and I are on the same wavelength. I also think you shouldn't think of him as 'just entertainment' and nothing more. People who say that simply do not quite grasp the concept of 'critic'. I think a critic is also a reviewer, just a different breed. And this is especially true for our Yahtzee. Using such over-exaggerated comedy to bring a message across is really smart and is evidently effective if you want to get in the spotlight.

If I want to know what to know all the good sides how gorgeous the graphics are, and see some gameplay for myself, I check the video reviews on escapist, youtube or elsewhere.
I check both of these sources and take them both seriously, to decide whether a game is worth my time and money or not.
Think of Yahtzee being the yin to my yang. One cannot exist without the other. He saved me from buying Dead Island, among many other games that seemed so cool at first glance, and got high scores everywhere, but were still just littered with bad game design. If only I waited for his review before I bought Tomb Raider >_>

Overall I pretty much agree with the things he says, once i've put them through my imaginary overly grotesque cynic analogy cleansing device, aside from the aforementioned BL2 incident. Maybe he just had a busy week, and his deadline was due the next morning or something, I don't know.

To wrap this up, how about a little music, hmm? BL2 also has some of the best music I've ever heard in a videogame, excellent for intense shootouts. Better, this music could make even curling seem epic and adrenaline pumping. Or making a sandwich.

and yes maybe I will married it!

deathzero021

Feb 3, 2012
when it comes to his videos on mainstream games, i pretty much completely agree. I walk into most games with that same attitude, not expecting much, and never experiencing much. to me the majority of games are still disappointments. it's too common to see games with lazy or terrible design, no matter what the graphics or budget is. i'm quite a negative person when it comes to games but i don't hate games, i'm still a gamer and i still own tons of games. It's just rare that i really enjoy a game.

JLink

Apr 10, 2013
Duffeknol said:
The man has copy/pasted my exact taste. It's eerie how we always see eye to eye on everything he brings up. However, I think there was a transfer error in there somewhere. Because screw Half-Life 2. I can't for the life of me figure out why he likes that game. But then again the entire world likes that game, so it might be the error lies with me this one time.
Don't feel like that man. I am not too fond of HL2 either. Don't start saying you are in the wrong just because you are in the minority.

Grach

Aug 31, 2012
CityofTreez said:
Grach said:
CityofTreez said:
Probably Portal 2.

I thought it exceeded the first one in every way, yet he didn't like it.
Yeah, he disliked it so much that he gave said it was the best game of 2011 and was completely torn between Portal 1 and Portal 2.
Really? Well I must have missed something.
Yeah, his entire introduction to the review was saying how he's gonna be torn like a schoolgirl on the issue.

Silly Hats

Dec 26, 2012
Also, his Witcher reviews are by far my favourite reviews of his, they're also my favourite game. I disagree with him, but I still love them.

Lugbzurg

Mar 4, 2012
Zachary Amaranth said:
Lugbzurg said:
All this attacking on Nintendo. I just love Nintendo. I don't understand the attacks. Same with RPGs. Play Final Fantasy. Play Fire Emblem. Play Fallout. Play Riviera: The Promised Land. Can you honestly tell me they're all exactly the same?

Precisely and specifically, what exactly are you refuting here?
He constantly rips on Nintendo for the studpidest reasons, if he actually gives one.
And if you play those RPGs, you'll see they're nothing alike.
Desert Punk said:
Lugbzurg said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJ2cSKBFBDQ
That guy...really really sucks at the game.

Complains about the shield only working for a few slivers of health and how rare health is then proceeds to run himself out into the middle of their fire.

Has some rather interesting views, but yeah, really sucks when it comes to playing.
Now, where did he say it was too hard? Rather, he brought up several points in which has an awkwardly-clunky, flow-breaking method of letting you perform simple tasks, along with linear maps, replacements for big daddies and plasmids making no sense, so many major steps backward with the removal of several different mechanics from the first two titles, and just overall sloppy game design.
CityofTreez said:
Probably Portal 2.

I thought it exceeded the first one in every way, yet he didn't like it.
I knew I forgot something!

NiPah

May 8, 2009
Ah, Yahtzee said a game that came out for the Nintendo system was bad, here comes the "Does anyone really take Yahtzee seriously" brigade.
I disagree with him on lots of things, mostly his opinions, but he's pretty damn fun to listen to so what ever.

Trueflame

Apr 16, 2013
I agree with him on a lot of stuff, except I love RPGs, even though he does have some valid points regarding the amount of spiky hair, androgynous boys, and children in JRPGs. It's hard to name specifics beyond that, considering the number of videos he has, but I certainly have my moments of disagreement. Many of them, in fact. But in some way he almost always has a good point hidden in his rambling and criticisms.

And I always wholeheartedly agree with him when he beats on Nintendo. That's one of my favorite parts of his show, and an opinion I shared long before I ever heard him express it.

EstrogenicMuscle

Sep 7, 2012
Does Yahtzee basically think that Japanese RPGs are crap?

Yeah, I don't agree with that at all. I'm sure it is popular though, since it panders to the modern video gaming community.

He also seems to have something against Nintendo. Despite the fact I personally find the output of Nintendo to be some of the best gaming software of this generation. I think he said something about Crysis being a good game if you have a capable PC, but then rallies off against Skyward Sword.

Exactly how, does Crysis qualify as a better game than Skyward Sword? Because it was developed by a Western studio? Because it has demanding, hyper realistic graphics? Because it isn't Nintendo and doesn't have that "kiddy" stigma? Because it is a gritty and modern first person shooter in an industry where Call of Duty sells more copies than anything save for Angry Birds?

Crysis is considered by most a flawed and mediocre first person shooter that isn't all that great for much more than being a PC Benchmark for most people. And I would take Skyward Sword over that game any day of the week.

Yeah, I'll take my Nintendo games and Japanese RPGs, thank you very much.

Jan 1, 2013
You've said pretty much all I wanted to say, Estrogenic Muscle.

I should add his style is oversturated. He speaks everything with the same tone. It's boring. Even those who like it must agree that it is repetitive. It's also too fast for my tastes. There isn't enough time to take on what he says.

Xdeser2

Aug 11, 2012
I disagree with his opinion of strategy games in general

The idea that its just pussy to only "command" troops completely misses the point of the genre. Its about the split second tactics that could change the course of a game/battle and about the build up to the inevitable big clash.

Oh, I also disagree that Rome: Total War is a game for boring middle managers.

But in the end I guess it all comes down to what genre you like/dislike, well that, and also that Yahtzee is just trying to be an entertainer, not give ACTUAL reviews.

Yeager942

Oct 31, 2008
I truly believe Dark Souls was one of the best games of this generation. I believe it taught players really poorly how to play it, but I admire how it refused to paneer us while creating an incredibly remarkable story and universe.

The awesome combat doesn't hurt though.

sumanoskae

Dec 7, 2007
Yahtzee does not seem to be under the impression that Dragon Age: Origins is the greatest thing ever invented by a human being, therefore he must be purged.

Seriously though, I find that I agree with Yahtzee in theory almost all the time, I just often disagree with specific examples.

For example: I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with suggesting an artist make changed to their work (See Mass Effect 3).

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
A few things, mainly since I've got a soft spot for Dad-games that would probably bore him to the point that he starts to cough up blood. I've got a different taste from his, but I can still appreciate criticism of things I happen to like.

But what do I know, I don't disreguard everything he has to say as rambling from a interclown, so I must therefore be a cynical shut-in that have never felt the sun's warmth...

He tore my dear old friend Oblivion to pieces. Big whoop. It's probably because he didn't like it, isn't it? But that doesn't detract my enjoyment of it. I can't really bring myself to be threatened by his opinion on something I like myself. Should I? Does that inability make me a horrid fanboy?

MHR

Apr 3, 2010
Out of all his vids I'd say Borderlands 2 is the only game with which he has no idea what he's talking about.

Other than that I don't know why everyone gets so upset. He accentuates the bad part of every game, you should know when he doesn't have huge things to pick at it is probably good/good enough.