What do you disagree with Yahtzee on?

Jun 11, 2009
flyer son of no one said:
i disagree with his views on the third game in a series (where he claims by the third game everyone is tired and it will be inferior), sometimes the third is the best or at least still great my opinion such as:
Uncharted 3
morrowind - sure its different than the first too but isnt the point to find its identity in sequels and keep improving the mechanics and those who dont count the first 2 elder scrolls then skyrim can be another example
Bioshock infinite - ok it isnt the third in a story, but still the third bioshock and is still amazing, improving on the first two
Uncharted 3 is arguably the weakest game of the series. The set pieces are great, but the characters are massively inconsistent and the narrative has no idea what it wants to do.

The Elder Scrolls series aren't really your typical series of games, since they have almost nothing to do with each other. Calling them a trilogy/series/whatever isn't really accurate.

Again, there are only really two Bioshock games,[footnote]We don't talk about Bioshock 2.[/footnote] which, again, have nothing to do with one another and take place in explicitly separate planes of reality.

Phuctifyno

Jul 6, 2010
It's important to take into account the critic's bias. Critics, comedian or no, are exposed to a lot more material than the average audience, and so are generally much more well-versed in (and more easily annoyed by) common tropes, cliches, flaws, etc...

As a general rule, if Yahtzee likes a game, there's a pretty good chance I will too, but if he doesn't like it, that doesn't necessarily mean that I won't.

That being said, I played Silent Hill 2 based on his appraisal and thought it was pretty decent, but not the blowjob bacon sundae he made it out to be. He seems to have a fondness for linearity that I can't quite wrap my head around. Not that I think it's always automatically bad, but I felt SH2 was a game that was way more linear than it needed to be, and could have benefited from a little more open exploration.

Davroth

The shadow remains cast!
Apr 27, 2011
I consider Yahtzee and entertainer first and a reviewer a very distant second and last.

He's fun to watch, but I don't go to him for any advice on my videogame purchases.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Love him most of the time, he's hilarious & a damn good critic. There is one thing that gets on my wick, though;

Now, it's fine for him to eschew multiplayer modes. That's personal preference.

But to review games such as Battlefield 3 super-badly, in which the multiplayer is the main purpose of the game (regardless of what EA says), is just a bit mad.

It's like reviewing Arkham Asylum purely on the challenge rooms, or reviewing FFX purely on the Chocobo-racing minigame. Personal preference against multiplayer is fine, but don't then purchase and very negatively review multiplayer-centric games after playing what is essentially a minor feature.

Playful Pony

Clop clop!
Sep 11, 2012
More things than I can count to be honest, but he still amuses me greatly and I won't stop watching him just because I disagree =p.

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
His opinion on the Elder Scrolls series seems to be a consistent "Meh." I'm not going to say he's absolutely wrong, I just wish everyone could enjoy those games as much as I do.

FrostyFinn

Jan 10, 2013
Professor Lupin Madblood said:
The PS4, mostly. He makes this huge deal about it not being backwards compatible and there being a share button on the controller and Sony not having actually shown the machine, but . . . really?

Of course it won't be backwards compatible. The Cell, though it allowed for great things, made the console wars (which he has called pointless on numerous occasions, a sentiment with which I agree) even more partisan than they would have otherwise been, and it's crushingly hard for independent studios to work with. They made the decision to move to PC architecture because it would allow indie developers more freedom and ease of access to develop for the PS4.

I mean, I don't know if you've been following Sony lately, Yahtzee, but literally almost everything they've been doing recently is to make indie games better for the PS4. If you disagree with that, it's one thing, but you could at least fucking acknowledge that there is a point to Sony's decisions.

Also, the share button is still mostly a mystery, and Sony have said that it won't be mandatory or a huge push with the console's games. Same thing with the touch pad on the back.

Also, does it really matter that we haven't seen the console itself? I don't think that seeing a glorified Blu-Ray player would assuage any of these fears, and, let's be honest here, who gives a shit what the console is going to look like? We've seen the specs in action (tech demos, the press conference videos), and we have an idea of what direction they want to go with the games. Nobody remembers a console because it looks pretty. They remember consoles because of the games on it, and the games are what define consoles.

Like, fuck. It's just a cavalcade of logical fallacies and deliberate ignorance of press coverage.
If you are referring to his part in the new rhymedown segment...that is his point. He is showing his disdain for the hype surrounding the PS4 BECAUSE it has not even been revealed yet.

He makes an analogy to a car salesman to show how ridiculous it is to get excited about something just 'cuz, without any tangible substance and only iffy rumors to go off of. Yes, even just seeing some modified Blu-Ray player would help because then we would have something to analyze, not just blindly eating up whatever Sony tells us. As it stands, these "features" are all we know about the PS4 and if Yahtzee doesn't like those "features" then Sony is going to have to make him eat those words with proof, not rumors.

verdant monkai

Oct 30, 2011
JRPG's
The art style is great in my opinion, also there is more of an emphasis on story than most western games. Western Rpg's trip up big time when they isolate you and make you go on an adventure alone. Playing a Jrpg almost makes you feel like you've made a new set of friends, and you really feel the loss when they die.
However I understand Grind and cultural differences can put people off, but to be honest there are Jrpg's out there with next to no grind (Tales of series) and if you can look past the corny speeches, you can appreciate the character interactions and the always interesting vista's.

REGENERATING HEALTH
A grey area I'll admit. Personally I like it but it needs to take a lot longer to regenerate. In Gears of War you can be almost dead then get behind cover and be back out a few seconds later, it needs to take longer to heal you. We aren't playing as Wolverine (unless its an X men game) but it is a video game at the end of the day. So I prefer health regen to some of the crap that goes down in Fallout.
Seriously I don't like that game one time I saved outside this room and when I went in I got shot to peices and made it out on a slither of health. Then there was no food or health giving stuff for ages, I died at almost every fight I came across until I finished the four hour trek to the nearest town.

Some other stuff Yhatzee says annoys me sometimes but I cant remember all of it, a lot of what he says is right. But he is always funny and remains the reason I love this site so much. Although I have to mention Jim Sterling for being the great guy he is, and keeping me informed about what is going on in the industry.

CityofTreez

Sep 2, 2011
Probably Portal 2.

I thought it exceeded the first one in every way, yet he didn't like it.

flyer son of no one said:
Bioshock infinite - ok it isnt the third in a story, but still the third bioshock and is still amazing, improving on the first two
I thought he liked both Bioshocks? (Second one doesn't count)

Ghostface2206

Apr 6, 2013
I really love ZP, but, yeah, I almost never agree with Yahtzee. What people have to realise is that he's not a reviewer, he's a critic, there's a difference.
However, whilst critics are usually ignorant, hard to please and complete dicks. Yahtzee is actually very funny, and he does make good points a lot of the times.

One thing thats annoyed me recently is that he doesn't realise that you can charge the Wii U gamepad whilst you're using it, he does complan about the battery life, and he's right, but he said in his Lego City review that he had to stop playing to let it charge, which he didn't have to do.

And I do think that he's a massive Valve fanboy and a Nintendo hater.

Jun 11, 2009
FrostyFinn said:
Professor Lupin Madblood said:
The PS4, mostly. He makes this huge deal about it not being backwards compatible and there being a share button on the controller and Sony not having actually shown the machine, but . . . really?

Of course it won't be backwards compatible. The Cell, though it allowed for great things, made the console wars (which he has called pointless on numerous occasions, a sentiment with which I agree) even more partisan than they would have otherwise been, and it's crushingly hard for independent studios to work with. They made the decision to move to PC architecture because it would allow indie developers more freedom and ease of access to develop for the PS4.

I mean, I don't know if you've been following Sony lately, Yahtzee, but literally almost everything they've been doing recently is to make indie games better for the PS4. If you disagree with that, it's one thing, but you could at least fucking acknowledge that there is a point to Sony's decisions.

Also, the share button is still mostly a mystery, and Sony have said that it won't be mandatory or a huge push with the console's games. Same thing with the touch pad on the back.

Also, does it really matter that we haven't seen the console itself? I don't think that seeing a glorified Blu-Ray player would assuage any of these fears, and, let's be honest here, who gives a shit what the console is going to look like? We've seen the specs in action (tech demos, the press conference videos), and we have an idea of what direction they want to go with the games. Nobody remembers a console because it looks pretty. They remember consoles because of the games on it, and the games are what define consoles.

Like, fuck. It's just a cavalcade of logical fallacies and deliberate ignorance of press coverage.

If you are referring to his part in the new rhymedown segment...
I'm referring to everything he's said so far about the PS4.

that is his point. He is showing his disdain for the hype surrounding the PS4 BECAUSE it has not even been revealed yet.

He makes an analogy to a car salesman to show how ridiculous it is to get excited about something just 'cuz, without any tangible substance and only iffy rumors to go off of. Yes, even just seeing some modified Blu-Ray player would help because then we would have something to analyze
Did you actually read my post? At all? Just wondering.

As I mentioned (in that large block of text you're addressing, in fact), a console's appearance isn't what defines it - games define consoles. I don't think it's a valid point, period, to complain about not seeing something that only functions as a platform for a type of media. We know that the PS4 will play video games, and the video games are the important thing here. I maintain that physically seeing the console will serve little to no purpose other than to confirm the specs.

Also, the car analogy is imperfect. You buy a car and then use that car, period. You don't buy a car, then buy toy cars and put them in the car in order to be able to do something other than admire the paint job.

not just blindly eating up whatever Sony tells us. As it stands, these "features" are all we know about the PS4 and if Yahtzee doesn't like those "features" then Sony is going to have to make him eat those words with proof, not rumors.
Why is features in quotation marks? The share button, ease of accessibility for indie developers, and controller design are all - presuming the Nextbox doesn't have them as well - distinct features of the PS4.

As well, there is a difference between a rumour and press release. Please make note of that difference before referring to press releases as rumours.

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
I really like Halo. I also like driving games.

That being said, he does seem to like hitting peds and wrecking cars in driving games, so we definitely have something in common there.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
Wait, people care about his opinion? For like, the actual content of his opinion?

Dont get me wrong, I love watching ZP, but I watch it to get a laugh out of his over the top negativity and the way it blends into his interesting humour. I could not give a shit what he thinks about the actual game once the punchlines are over...

MoltenSilver

Feb 21, 2013
Subjectively, I could probably go through the episodes and find a lot of games I disagree with like/hate on. The two that quickest spring to mind are Brutal Legend (For me, while it certainly wasn't the best game gameplay wise, I found it wasn't sufficient to detract from the fun of speeding around inside a heavy metal album cover) and WET (Even I don't know how to explain why I found this one fun, but, I did).

Mechanically, however, I find myself agreeing with him nearly always. Even in the above games I had a lot of fun with, the mechanical flaws Yahtzee pointed out are still 100% correct. For example, I also despise multiplayer in games, and completely agree with him that if a game wants my attention it has to stand on its singleplayer. Even if its the best-designed multiplayer system in the world it'll never stop other players from ruining my fun, and it's neither fair to judge the dev-team's efforts by that community, nor is it fair for me to accept it as an excuse when I have 0 faith in other people to be responsible for my fun, on top of the anxiety that if I do bad I'm ruining someone else from having fun.
I especially also agree with his stance that 'It gets good [X] hours in' is not an acceptable rationalization. The point of the first moments of gameplay is to draw the player in, and if a game fails to do that, why should I give them the benefit of the doubt when there are plenty of other games competing for my attention that don't make me wait for my fun?

How cynical Yahtzee actually is I wouldn't have the foggiest clue, but as he's said multiple times before he's a critic, not a reviewer; he's there to point out what's holding games back from greatness by ruthlessly deconstructing every flaw, not provide a 'fair and balanced' buy/don't buy recommendation.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
sanquin said:
Yahtzee is not a reviewer. He's a comedian. His video's are meant to be entertaining and good for a few chuckles. To take them seriously to the extend of asking who disagrees with what points of him is just wrong in my opinion. Anyone who doesn't disagree with a lot of what he says needs to crawl out of their cynical cave and look at the real world. Because he exaggerates the negatives...a lot. At least that's how I see it.
Actually he's a critic that knows how to entertain his audience. :p

Not much really, I enjoyed a lot of the games he recommended immensely, and whatever he does hate that I like, I use as a way to reflect on my own opinion of the game.

I call it the "Yahtzee test".

Or it could be that he's grown on me, since I've been watching his videos for nearly 4 years, and that they are the highlight of my Wednesdays.

Xarathox

Feb 12, 2013
Not much, if anything at all. I watch his videos for a good laugh, and that's what I find him quite good at. It's rare for me to get up in arms over someone else' opinion on certain subjects (like video games), because we all have different tastes.

JLink

Apr 10, 2013
I watch Yahtzee for entertainment and don't take his opinions into account when I am deciding what games to play or buy. I view him as a source of entertainment and that's it. There is a lot of stuff I disagree with him on. However, I do want to point out that that doesn't make him "wrong" as these are mostly all subjective things that will vary depending on individual taste:

-Disagree that the Half-Life 2 games have great pacing, and his assertion of unparalleled quality for anything Valve related: I think Half-Life 2 and the episodes had sections that moved along well followed by long sections of boredom or tedium, or a section that started out being good but was dragged out for way too long. The only Valve stuff I have liked are Portal 1 & 2, so that's something he and I have in common.

-Story has a great deal more importance to how enjoyable a game is to Yahtzee than it does for me: As stated above, that's just a matter of personal preference. But to him it seems a good story will compensate for mediocre or bad gameplay if he thinks the story is good enough.

-Disagree with his hatred of regenerating health: I think games with regenerating health can be fun in more action oriented games. It doesn't work for everything though, but he seems to think it should not exist at all.

-Disagree with him on his hatred of shooter games where you can take cover: I don't think it's a bad thing by itself, but EVERYONE is making them now and they aren't making them fun, so I do get sick when I see a developer making another one because the odds of it being good are slim.

-His love for Painkiller and Doom 3 BFG: As far as Painkiller goes I don't like shooters unless my enemies also shoot. For Doom 3 BFG, I found it boring and tedious, yet he loved it because you had to go through levels finding keys to locked doors for yourself. Just having that in a game doesn't automatically make it fun in my opinion, but he made it sound like it does for him. Again, personal preference.

-I liked Nier alot more than he did, and the soundtrack for it is in a three-way tie for best game soundtrack along with Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross in my opinion.

-He has a love for slow stealthy games (Thief) that I don't share.

-He loved Far Cry 3, I found it tedious and boring: I think this kinda goes along with the Thief point above. But that doesn't mean I don't like a shooter unless it's action packed. I liked Bioshock alot and it was a shooter that was slower paced and had exploratioin.

-The story of Spec Ops The Line and it's in-game execution was a lot more impressive and deeper to him than it was to me.

-He thinks that Bioshock Infinite is an improvement over Bioshock in every aspect while I think it's a step back in every way except graphics: The gunplay is MUCH worse than it was in Bioshock, the exploration is gone, looting and searching isn't rewarding anymore now that it feels like a tedious requirement, the way I have to get health from fallen enemies by searching them doesn't fit with the kind of fast run-and-gun shooter mechanics they used and the story doesn't feel like it was thought all the way through. The game as a whole feels like they spent 6 years messing around and then threw something together at the last minute when they realized they were out of time.

Like I said before, these are a matter of personal preference. However, Yatzhee does sometimes get things blatantly wrong and will list it as a negative in a game, and that bugs the crap out of me. Namely, him saying that the cutscenes in the Witcher 2 were unskippable when, in fact, they are. If he had bothered to click the mouse buttons during the cutscnee or even pressed ESC he would have realized this.

esutton

Nov 5, 2012
On every post i can hear Yahtzee saying what he said the last time he read feedback from the general public.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/37-Mailbag-Showdown.

Watch this then re-read some of these comments.

nathan-dts

Jun 18, 2008
Comedy. I've not found his videos funny for a long time. I would be tempted to say I disagree with the character on the show over most things because he just seems to dislike the popular, most of the time. Like a gaming hipster.