What do YOU expect in a good, modern shooter?

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
If realistic, game worlds in which real people, like your teachers from school, your mormon neighbor, and pretty much anyone could conceivably exist in. I know part of making a game is setting a mood and atmosphere, but if you're going for realism, then part of being real is that most of everything is mundane, making the exciting, intense and scary stand out.

redspud

Feb 1, 2011
bullwt
spartan231490 said:
Bags159 said:
spartan231490 said:
As far as gameplay goes, I'd say that CoD has it pretty close, tbh.

Ideally, like if I could design the perfect FPS, for multiplayer there are 3 features I would look to having that I haven't really seen in any FPS yet:
1) Massive teams. about 50 each.
2) No health, one bullet kills, regardless of the gun used. This way, suppression fire and cover would actually matter
3) Big maps. I mean huge, so that gun classes can actually be balanced. Prolly about 1000 meters long and half that wide. That way, snipers actually fire from sniping distances, and you can make shotguns kill from proper distances, and Assault rifles won't be rendered worthless.

For campaign modes, I would like something a lot like halo, just with more story.

Sounds like you will like Planetside 2. Well, you won't get your #2 but everything else.
Number 2 is the one I want most :(, but that is still intriguing. might play it.
Cube 2 has a multiplayer mode where one bullet kills but none the other things you mentioned.

Still very fun though and hectic.

Jan 29, 2009
I want my guns to have impact when you shoot them. Some huge reaction somehow that shows it's power much better than hit-point changes. If you shoot a rocket launcher, there'd better be a crater where it hits, or at least some sort of godly noise to make up for it.
I think the worst example here is GTA4's guns: they seem insignificant or otherwise underpowered. You fire an automatic weapon only to hear some "clackclackclack" atrocity.
I was at a military reenactment just last Saturday, the thing I was reminded of there is that guns are damn loud. They have impacts on every sense. The shot itself isn't that visually outstanding (only a small muzzle flash and a bit of smoke), but the impact of the noise hitting to you almost feels as if you were shot anyways. Firing a gun should make you feel like a god of thunder, empowering you, because that is exactly what a gun should do. If it sounds like a stapler, it fails to give you that sense of power you need to win.

TL;DR: Guns need to be loud and thundery, like Thor playing on an electric guitar.

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
Leaning. I know it's been a point of contention but it doesn't seem right to me that you can't lean in some FPS games.

Juk3n

Aug 14, 2010
from a modern shooter i want;

Global settings and environments; London, G3rmany, Franc3...
A multitude of weapons and a multitude of attatchments, incl the ability to have more than 2 attatchments, like in real life.
Somesort of perk structure, maybe 3 tiered, things like Cold Blooded (hide from radar) and Ninja Pro(silent movement).
Fast paced action with the option for tactical play, like if you group up with some friends and can communicate with them, that really changes a game type.
Some sort of reward for killing multiple back to back enemies, maybe an airstrike or two or a radar.

hmm..that is all

Anti Nudist Cupcake

Mar 23, 2010
I need to be able to crouch and aim down my sight.

Basically, a tactical aiming system to make me actually feel like the fight is real and serious, unless the game doesn't want to be real or serious, that's fine too.

But at the very minimum I want to be able to aim.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
I only really expect it to be fun.

Beyond that, I'm open for all sorts of things. Anything goes.

Nemesha

Jun 23, 2009
I would want a FPS game that takes the goods from the CoD and BF series and Americas Army.

From AA: When you lie down it takes 2 seconds and you can't shoot while going down so people can't swandive to the ground while shooting (most ridiculous exploit ever, and it frustrates me every time someone does it)

BF: -healthbar period.
-suppresing fire (in BF3, which will lower the accuracy of enemies making it actually
useful)
-destructible environment

CoD: -weapon viability, almost all the weapons are balanced even with perks
-modifying your weapon\
-man to man combat, no vehicles involved (I just enjoy it more)
-perk like cold blood, ninja, sleigh of hand etc
-killstreaks (to an extend, the ones from MW1 where great, with the possibilty to shoot
them down from MW2. The stuff in MW2 and Blops are just retarded and overpowered.
manning a chopper etc, where's the fun and skill in that? and predator / rc buggy...What
the hell man)

So basicly I'm very excited for CoD MW3 and BF3

For the more Lanparty oriented fps I enjoy Halo 1&2. They are perfect like they are.

Ofcourse this is all multiplayer. For singleplayer you need to go back a few years. I'm talking Halo 1, CoD 1,2. Campaigns that took 15+ hours without any rails and an actual story involved.

RedLister

Jun 14, 2011
The ability to stand on its own two feet with single player alone (as qouted by yahtzee). No more 3hour single player campaign modes which looks like it was made in one afternoon.

WolfLordAndy

Sep 19, 2008
What I would like?

Huge teams - talking 100+ each side

Persistant, large maps - thinking city sizes, something that wuold literally take hours to get across on foot.

Health/Armour with repair/medic packs/guns - I hate all these health regen games without good reason, halo gets away with it as a sci-fi setting and shields thing, but even Halo:CE had a healthbar that didnt recharge under the shield.

Vehcles - I love combined arms combat, and want Choppers, Jets, Tanks, Buggies, Boats, Ships, Cars and giant robots! Sci-fi themed would make it all the better!

Locational Damage - More a vehcle thing, but headshots would count too I guess, I want a rifle to do fuck all to a armoured car, but shooting the tires can help slow it/make it difficult to control. At the same time, shooting a rocket at a fancy tank and hitting the gun, won't destory the tank, however it could destroy or damage the weapon so that it gets jammed facing one way, or slower firing. Planetside1 did this great with BFRs (the only good thing about them really) with precision shots from small arms able to disable their flight/weapon/shield systems, so that the big guns could rip the armour apart.

Destructable Terrain - BC2 has spoiled me somewhat that I love taking down buildings, although it still needs some refinement, such as only killing people that it actually makes contact with, not just everyone inside the "zone" of the building that collapses.

Commanders - Someone that either earns or is voted to lead a team, giving them abilities to spot enemies, draw battle plans, give orbital strikes/artilary and generally be playing a RTS while all his units are playing a FPS!

So all in all... I want Planetside 2 to be released already, with the addition of Destructable terrain and locational damage...

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
varied enemys. thats the main reason i dont like cods campaign. your just fighting the same soldier the whole game. in science fiction, or less realistic modern shooters, you get varied enemys. Thats one of the things that made halo great.

Elemental

Apr 4, 2009
I want motherfucking health bars!
I want to carry more than two damn weapons@#!$
Enemies smarter than a peanut, move damnit, take some cover, spam me with grenades, flank me, I don't know taunt me even, make me WANT to kill you!
Enemies these days either just run around or towards you and die within 2 shots, it's not challenging and quickly getting boring.
More colors other than grey and brown.
And a campaign longer than 10 hours.

blind_dead_mcjones

Oct 16, 2010
in short, almost everything S.T.A.L.K.E.R: shadow of chernobyl and S.T.A.L.K.E.R:Call of pripyat did

but with a lot more beta testing

also having said FPS be mecha based every now and then would be nice

Tdc2182

May 21, 2009
In a first person shooter? Iron sights.

I expect iron sights to be pretty major. I literally cannot fathom how people to this day still ***** about it slowly becoming the standard. That kind of nostalgia baffles me.

I also demand that the right analog stick is not the melee button. It promotes easy panic meleeing, which is quickly becoming my number one complaint in everything I play.

On that note, I also expect that the right analog stick be crouch. I think that the next generation of shooters is going to crack down heavily on gunplay and body movement.

Stop killstreaks, deathstreaks, point streaks, yada yada.

It's becoming way to overdone and it really is getting to the point where nothing new is coming from it. Find something else.

If you have a radar, take out things like spy planes. The Ghost perk pretty much took the cake for ruining Black Ops multiplayer. It has gotten to the point where calling in a spy plane puts you at the disadvantage, because you end up only focusing on the person who is playing with a different first perk other than Ghost.

Make it so that a spyplane is personal.

Also, games could take a lesson from the old days and have it so you can customize your gun loadout before each mission. Seems like they've stopped doing that.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
I expect there to be a big focus on online play. I don't like that there is a major focus on online play, but I expect it from a modern shooter. I also expect there to be vehicle sequences, or something similar to mix things up a bit (such as the AC-10 sequence in Modern Warfare).