What do you think are the most overrated video games of all time?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Gears of War - More so the first game. Thanks for starting a genre of mostly mediocre cover shooters. Heck most cover shooters I find pretty average.

Most COD games after 4. Once again, not bad games, but really overpraised and over saturated.

Ninja Gaiden (NES) - The first game I really dislike and find overly cheap. Granted, I grew up on Shinobi, but that series proved you can have difficulty without being cheap. I know this in controversial, but that his how I honestly feel.

Bioshock 1 & Infinite - The original seemed special if you did not play a lot of FPS or only played 1 fps franchise, but I had played a lot of shooters on the consoles and PC, so what Bioshock offered was pretty standard for me. I'll still praise it's art direction and ambition. Infinite was just let's do it the game in the sky, but strip it down and simplify it more, and fill the level design with the standard post Modern Warfare corridor shooter, and you have problems. It did not help in the case of what could have been. The story was a complete mess too.

Killer 7 - Gameplay wise, K7gs. is nothing to write home about. The gameplay functions and is serviceable, but most are there for the plot. Once someone goes through it, there is not much reason to go back a 3rd times once you understand some things. My high admiration for Suda and Grasshopper has not changed. Though let it die can go fuck itself. You took a great concept, and threw it away for some Dark Souls clone nobody wanted.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
CoCage said:
Bioshock 1 & Infinite - The original seemed special if you did not play a lot of FPS or only played 1 fps franchise, but I had played a lot of shooters on the consoles and PC, so what Bioshock offered was pretty standard for me. I'll still praise it's art direction and ambition. Infinite was just let's do it the game in the sky, but strip it down and simplify it more, and fill the level design with the standard post Modern Warfare corridor shooter, and you have problems. It did not help in the case of what could have been. The story was a complete mess.
I don't think, even in its heyday, Bioshock was well known for its shooting mechanics. The plot twist was clearly the first thing written and the rest was trying to get you to that point. Style over substance. I understand why your critical. I don't think it is more of a mess than most other games. I think what you point out is common in most games.
If you've played, think about Mass Effect 1. How does the last battle effect a Reaper? Why didn't that weakness come up later? In the Witcher 3, you are literally pointless except for one battle back at base. And it probably would've been won without you. Spec Ops forces your into situations. In New Vegas, why do people give you pardons? And wouldn't that anger the people in each group? Why aren't the factions disintegrating? Why can't I use the chip the way I want to? I have to hand it to someone. How does that make sense. Bioshock stands out maybe because its mechanics are shoddy, doesn't mean most stories aren't a mess.

Jan 19, 2016
Cold Shiny said:
Just my opinion:

- GTA V
- All mainline Bethesda RPGs
- TF2
- Ride to Hell: Retribution
Wait. Wut? RtH:R is considered one of the worst games of the 7th gen. Or are you saying that its even worse than people say it is?

Naldan

You Are Interested. Certainly.
Feb 25, 2015
GTA fucking IV.

Torchlight II.

Gone Home. <- I even enjoyed it. In before certain people come out of the woodworks.

Fallout 4.

Bioshock series. Every part of it. Nowhere near System Shock II, since it would be like Deus Ex otherwise. And it's far, faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar from it. Every part. And Infinite is by far the most overrated of the series. It's a shooter with a nonsensical ending, Disney's Pixar animation (I mean the actual animation of the models - they move abruptly like if they had a seizure. I fucking hate this donkey shit ass piss fuckstyle.) But really, it's just a shooter with a nonsensical ending, doing nothing -----------------nothing--------------------- better than any other Bioshock before it. Zero. Nada. Net. Nichts.

Cold Shiny

May 10, 2015
Bilious Green said:
Cold Shiny said:
Just my opinion:

- GTA V
- All mainline Bethesda RPGs
- TF2
- Ride to Hell: Retribution
Wait. Wut? RtH:R is considered one of the worst games of the 7th gen. Or are you saying that its even worse than people say it is?
It was a joke. I just put the worst game I could think of on the list.

Chaos Isaac

Jun 27, 2013
Witcher 3: Somehow my experience with this game was buggier than any other game i've played, with a lackluster plot and boring characters who don't make sense in their own universe during gameplay and narrative events.

Doom 2016: It's a shooter that omages older games but really has nothing beyond good gameplay. Really nothing special.

Uncharted Series: Contrived gameplay and narrative that has more annoying characters than anything else.

Final Fantasy War of the Lion: Not that good. Not even that fun.

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
skim172 said:
Taking a step back from "overrated" to "popular game that I personally don't enjoy":

Final Fantasy 7. I never finished it. I thought the combat was boring, and the story was predictable when it wasn't being utterly nonsensical. I didn't care about any of the characters, I was completely nonplussed by Aeris' death - if anything, I felt irritated by the obvious contrived and manipulative nature of the scene ("Want to make your story seem serious? Inject death scene here!")

I could go on - but I won't. I just ... I tried to like it. I honestly did. But I really didn't. There wasn't a single thing in the game I liked ... maybe I liked some of the characters? (I hated Cloud, incidentally).

In fact - I think I actually hated this game.

It's harsh, I know. I don't quite understand it. I know people whose opinions I respect for whom this is possibly their favorite game ever - and it might be one of the worst I've played. Expectations, perhaps - I expected too much going into it. Or ... maybe I'm just a hipster who can't enjoy something that's popular. I don't know.

I don't even like thinking about FF7, because I end up trying to figure out why I hate it when so many love it, and it kind of stresses me out a little.

I haven't played a Final Fantasy game since. I view them all with suspicion and some measure of repulsion. In fact, it turned me off JRPGs as a genre. I used to play so many - I've maybe played one since I played FF7. Because I end up comparing the JRPG I'm playing to FF7, and critically looking at anything - any tiny thing - that reminds me of FF7.

It's a problem. Maybe there's something actually wrong with me.
Tbf, I don't even think it's the best Final Fantasy, but it gets a lot of props for being a) the first 3D one and b) a whole generation of gamers' first FF game. The story and characters are weak compared to other games in the series, in my opinion. I wouldn't give up on JRPGs because of it - there are some fantastic ones out there, including in the main line FF series.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
DefunctTheory said:
dscross said:
Eh? It was the original Resident Evil that coined the term.
And it really only delivered, in my opinion, in the narrative sense. It singularly failed to do so through gameplay.

Not something unique, really. Few games can both give you a gun, and deliver on horror. Only ones I can think of at the moment are Eternal Darkness and the original Dead Space, but even those were situational - 90% of the time the horror bit was absent in gameplay.
Eternal Darkness counts as survival horror? I just replayed it to get the true ending and I didn't think there was really much "survival" to it. Melee is overpowered and infinite, and as soon as you get the recover spell around the 3rd chapter you never have to worry about running out of health or sanity, since magic regenerates when you run around.

CannibalCorpses

Aug 21, 2011
I can pick fault with every single game i've ever played (and i've played a hell of a lot of games to completion over the years) so basically everything is hyped rubbish that gets halfwits excited but not enough for the majority of them to bother even finishing the damn game, especially on the hardest setting :p

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
DefunctTheory said:
dscross said:
Eh? It was the original Resident Evil that coined the term.
And it really only delivered, in my opinion, in the narrative sense. It singularly failed to do so through gameplay.

Not something unique, really. Few games can both give you a gun, and deliver on horror. Only ones I can think of at the moment are Eternal Darkness and the original Dead Space, but even those were situational - 90% of the time the horror bit was absent in gameplay.
I think we can only take 'survival horror' as what it was intended to mean when the term was first coined (by resident evil). You seem to be making your own definition, or saying that the term shouldn't exist in gaming. When I say survival horror, I mean the elements that were present in the original Resident Evil.

"Although combat can be part of the gameplay, the player is made to feel less in control than in typical action games through limited ammunition, health, speed and vision, or through various obstructions of the player's interaction with the game mechanics. The player is also challenged to find items that unlock the path to new areas and solve puzzles to proceed in the game. Games make use of strong horror themes, like dark maze-like environments and unexpected attacks from enemies."

You have to remember the limitations of the mid 90s as well.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
dscross said:
Well, just to be clear, I think your point is...

A) based on a false assumption that the word overrated always has to personally insult people and not be constructive (I assume based on experiences of other threads).
That's not an assumption. It's literally the core idea of the concept of 'overrated'. It's the implication that others positive opinion of a thing are unfounded and excessive. That they are inherently wrong about their personal opinion on their level of enjoyment of something. It's the very essence of the thing, ffs. XD

B) aggressive because you are using words like 'petty'.
Implying others might be petty is being aggressive?

Ooph. If that's your idea of aggressive, for the love of god do NOT watch the news...

C) cyclical - criticising me for asking people think critically is a moot point, or even makes my point instead of yours.
You opened up a discussion for criticisms. I provided some. That you didn't like them and became offended by them kinda proves my point, does it not?

D) based on another assumption that this thread will somehow turn nasty (the only not amicable posts on this thread so far is between those who are criticising the topic itself)
Never assumed it would 'turn nasty'. Just implied that this sort of 'discussion' tends to breed cynicism and animosity, given the very essence of the topic is effectively 'shitting' on others opinions.

If you really hate the idea of the thread, don't post on it
Hate's a strong word, friend. I don't hate it. Just felt compelled to point out how I felt about the topic.

Felt like giving my opinion, if you will. A...critique, let's say. ;D

Some people enjoy debating, you just clearly are not one of them.
On the contrary. I enjoy a good debate. But answer me this: What is it, exactly, that's being 'debated' with this topic?

Person A - "I think this one game is overrated! It's a pile of hot shit and no one should like it!"

Person B - "I actually like that game. I think it's fun and I enjoyed my time with it."

Person A - "Well, you're wrong! You don't know what's fun! You're overrating that game because I don't like it and therefore it doesn't deserve any praise!"

This is your idea of a debate? Because that's what these sorts of discussions usually entail.

"Overrated" threads aren't debates. They're contrarian circle-jerks where people just want attention because they think their opinions are somehow superior. You don't 'debate' the legitimacy nor the efficacy of someone's opinion on what they do and don't enjoy. That's stupid.

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Vigormortis said:
I'm not responding to all that because it serves no purpose in the context of this thread. I will however, just make a couple of points to conclude what I have to say on the matter.

1) ironically, no one has posted on this thread for a while and you and I are the only ones keeping it going now. If you don't want this topic to appear on the first page, it's probably not a good idea to keep posting. More people may post as a result.
2) despite your objections to the word and the thread there were some very interesting debates about plenty of different games on here. I particularly enjoyed the one about resident evil 4.
3) Words have more subjective meaning than you seem to believe and people interpret them differently, particularly words that are fairly abstract like overrated, justice etc.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
dscross said:
I'm not responding to all that because it serves no purpose in the context of this thread.
Weird. That didn't stop you before...

I will however, just make a couple of points to conclude what I have to say on the matter.
So say your piece, then fingers in ears? Not surprised, really.

1) ironically, no one has posted on this thread for a while and you and I are the only ones keeping it going now. If you don't want this topic to appear on the first page, it's probably not a good idea to keep posting. More people may post as a result.
I was unaware I'd said I didn't want anyone posting in the thread. In fact, looking at what I did post, I'm not even sure where you gleaned anything remotely close to those words.

Strange.

Also: Unlike some, I don't spend every waking moment lurking and posting on nearly-dead/on-life-support internet forums. I only got around to responding to your comment recently because, honestly?....it just wasn't that pertinent.

2) despite your objections to the word and the thread there were some very interesting debates about plenty of different games on here. I particularly enjoyed the one about resident evil 4.
You called those debates? Okay, then. I guess that just leaves me wondering: Who 'won' in your 'debates' over "I like this game because of ****" and "I don't like that game because of ****"? What points were proven? Were opinions changed?

Yeah, no. I'm sorry. "Arguing" over a difference in opinions in what one enjoys or doesn't enjoy just seems completely and utterly asinine to me. Never said you couldn't do it, just said it's dumb.
3) Words have more subjective meaning than you seem to believe and people interpret them differently, particularly words that are fairly abstract like overrated, justice etc.
Claiming words are 'subjective', yet taking umbrage with how I've interpreted the word(s), seems fairly hypocritical.

It's a bit like Trump and Sessions bitching about free speech supposedly being 'infringed upon' in universities, yet claiming NFL team owners should fire any players who practice their own free speech rights.

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Vigormortis said:
dscross said:
I'm not responding to all that because it serves no purpose in the context of this thread.
Weird. That didn't stop you before...

I will however, just make a couple of points to conclude what I have to say on the matter.
So say your piece, then fingers in ears? Not surprised, really.

I was unaware I'd said I didn't want anyone posting in the thread. In fact, looking at what I did post, I'm not even sure where you gleaned anything remotely close to those words.

Strange.

Also: Unlike some, I don't spend every waking moment lurking and posting on nearly-dead/on-life-support internet forums. I only got around to responding to your comment recently because, honestly?....it just wasn't that pertinent.

You called those debates? Okay, then. I guess that just leaves me wondering: Who 'won' in your 'debates' over "I like this game because of ****" and "I don't like that game because of ****"? What points were proven? Were opinions changed?

Yeah, no. I'm sorry. "Arguing" over a difference in opinions in what one enjoys or doesn't enjoy just seems completely and utterly asinine to me. Never said you couldn't do it, just said it's dumb.
Claiming words are 'subjective', yet taking umbrage with how I've interpreted the word(s), seems fairly hypocritical.

It's a bit like Trump and Sessions bitching about free speech supposedly being 'infringed upon' in universities, yet claiming NFL team owners should fire any players who practice their own free speech rights.
Mate chill out. I've had enough of this now. You are the one that objected so strongly to this thread, in quite an aggressive manner, which I merely countered, and then you insisted on keeping the thread going for some bizarre reason (even though you claim to be anti-the subject). I think for the 'say your piece (or peace) bit' you should take a look at yourself as well as me.

How about we agree to disagree?

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I've tried some really greatly rated games that I later found were considered SUPER hard and y'know what? I like easy. So, these weren't for me. They included:

Devil May Cry 3
Ninja Gaiden
and the Dark Souls series.