What do you think of Fanfiction?

tombman888

Jul 12, 2009
I have stumbled across alot of good FF's but you are right when you say the majority is crap.

And, i actually write Fan-Fics of my own to improve my writing skills; They're somewhat ok, but i usually just let my friends read them.

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
it could be good or it could be universe rapingly bad (see: My Immortal a self-insert Harry Potter fanfiction that turns the entire HP universe gothic and Harry and Draco gay I am not shittin you)

IBlackKiteI

Mar 12, 2010
AgDr_ODST said:
I quite often read Fanfiction and soooo many are fantastic...all this bashing is pointless and its pissing me off quite frankly....I've read more than my fair share of great stories that take the characters I love from the usual gamit(movies, books,games, anime, TV shows) and weave well writen narratives, that have great action, drama, romance and even suspense. (thanks to cliff hangers and most coming on a chapter by chapter basis) I could link drop atleast 4 here right here and now that Im reading which are either still in progress or already finished that Im throughly enjoying just as much if not more than books in print that I paid money for...
Dude...you must read shitloads...cos like,...I almost never see good fan-fics...

...like...never...

Problem is the majority of game fan-fics that I've read that try to be good are either a very inaccurate retelling of a games events in a very boring and predictable way, or someone going batshit crazy with the canvas of an RPG game and typing out their wet dream.
Seriously, point me in the direction of some good ones.

PLEASE

Safaia

Sep 24, 2010
I write fan fic, I've been writing fan fic on and off for nine years and it was really the thing that made me find out just how much I enjoyed writing as a whole. I don't see why anyone would have a problem with it; might just not be their cup of tea. To each his own, etc.

Demongeneral109

Jan 23, 2010
Kiefer13 said:
As with everything, Sturgeon's Law [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sturgeon%27s_Law#.E2.80.9CNinety_percent_of_everything_is_crud.E2.80.9D] applies. So yeah, the vast majority of it is rubbish. But not all of it is. I, for one, have written some myself on quite a few occasions. I think it's a brilliant way for an aspiring writer to get some practice and some of it really is good in its own right.
I agree with this, as a long-time FF.net lurker, I have learned to sift through that 90% so I love this stuff with all my heart, really! Honestly, fics like Kyon:big damn hero and Lelouch of Britannia make up for the "my immortal"s on the site.

(sorry for the shameless plug :p)

Demongeneral109

Jan 23, 2010
joshuaayt said:
Fanfiction is fine. What pisses me off is people who group the entire thing into the My Immortal category, and proceed to express only derision for my choice to pursue reading and writing it as a hobby. Those people suck.
Besides, it's all pg-13 on Fanfiction.Net, so if you know how to look properly (Search query: >10000 words is ESSENTIAL. You miss out on a lot of good drabbles and short stories, but it's a necessary sacrifice- If someone is willing to write more than 10000 words, it has probably recieved some legitimately good feedback), you'll get a good, more or less clean, story.
Go into any given catagory, look in the M section, and you will be proven wrong on the pg-13 thing(lemons are rampant) other than that, I agree completely, most fics are bad, but the jems make the whole thing worth it

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
The fanfiction

Halo 3: Insurrection

http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=31052475

is

[HEADING=1]AMAZING![/HEADING]

It seriously is really well written, all of the additions to the universe actually seems like something Bungie would do or along the lines of it.

the pdf file with all of the chapter is [HEADING=2]474 pages![/HEADING]

It may be fanfiction but its the length of a full-fledge novel!

Also people who read Ghosts of Onyx will be very happy...

EPD001

Apr 15, 2009
How good a fan fiction is depends on the writer and the reader. If one knows the material real well it can be a good read, but other times there can be problems. Of course how well the writer writes (vocabulary, grammer, etc.) helps too, but shouldn't be a main selling point. Like everything else in life everyone has an opinion on it. For me I say I like fan fiction, but I definitely look for good long reads and for them to be completed.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Most of it is not worth your time. You can find a gem here or there but assume its crap until proven good. Grammar/spelling is usually a good indicator of the overall quality of the story but not always. Many a technically well written Fanfic has left me disappointed.

I've wrote a few myself but I haven't put any up on the web. I like keeping them for myself. I'd show a close friend... Maybe but I'd rather wait awhile before I post my ego on the internet and leave it to the mercy of its denizens.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
DeadlyYellow said:
I typically don't bother, except for cases where It's So Bad it's Good.
I now have a new policy: whenever I see a link I will observe where the link takes me. If it is to a wiki of any sort and I'm trying to go to bed sometime in the next several hours I will not click on it. You're a monster and I want my hour and a half back!

As for the question, I generally do not like fan fiction. Yes, I am sure there are plenty of good writers out there working on a fan-fiction project. I just don't care. I will not go sorting through an endless field of garbage in the hopes of finding the occasional gem. As a general rule, if the work was not officially published (thus transcending fan fiction in technicality if not in spirit) I will not read it unless a compelling case is made on it's behalf by an informed friend who's opinion I respect on the matter. While the publishing system might not be perfect, it at least removes the worst of the waste. I'm sure some quality stories are discarded as well, but that is the price I'm perfectly willing to pay.

thejboy88

Aug 29, 2010
I don't have a poblem with fanfiction as long as it is good.

Problem is though, almost all fanfiction I have ever ready is not very good. The exceptions to this however are stories which basically try to tell the same story as whatever book/TV show/film they are based on.

Stuff the writers make up themselves never seems to have that same quality, with most just seeming out-of-character or just plain ridiculous.

bradley348

Apr 17, 2009
Terminate421 said:
Any fanfiction that has even mention of a Sonic character makes me want to chase that fanfiction down and shoot it with a G36C while beating it with an axe.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88OvNyjgZdY&playnext=1&list=PLD356D0CABF001615&index=17

:p

MassiveGeek

Jan 11, 2009
Writing fics can be good fun. I've started on, and shorlty after scrapped, fanfictions that I wrote just to mess around, since I like writing, but I can't be arsed to put in tons of effort into it.

I don't send them off to scourge the internet though, and I don't try to get my rather terrible writing published(I'm looking at you, Smeyer).

But yeah, fanfictions mostly suck. I haven't encountered a fic that was of really good quality, the only fic I've liked was a Hermione/Draco fic because I really like that crack pairing, and it was decently written with pretty good excuses for them to actually, you know, interact with eachother without her killing him.

I don't know. I'm really not a fan, but I don't condemn them either.

Padwolf

Sep 2, 2010
I quite enjoy fanfiction, I've read quite a few good ones in the Harry Potter section of fanfiction.net and quite a few good Kingdom Hearts ones, there are a lot of bad ones, but you have to go through them to get to the good ones.

game-lover

Dec 1, 2010
I like fanfiction.

Not all of them are good like the ones that can simply be described as crack fiction. You know, like crack shipping? But there are some good ones. Though, I've never read one and thought it horribly sucked ass and monkeyballs. (Haven't read MyImmortal; not sure I want to.)

I write fanfiction as well. But I probably touch on the ones that aren't very common.

For me, it's just a hobby. I started making up stories when I was a little girl starting with Pokemon. Then it grew with pretty much every anime I ever watched. Then to some books I fell in love with and so on. I know full well I can't be a real writer 'cause a lot of my stories get late updates. Which depend on my muse, which depend on watching said show or reading a new book.

But it's fun and you do kinda like that some people like your story even if you're just putting it out there for the hell of it.

Monkfish Acc.

May 7, 2008
There are some pretty fucking well-written ones out there, I have to say. I mostly search for so-bad-it's-good types and I somehow manage to stumble across the odd genuine gem.
Really, the people who constantly bash it have only read like three or four and now consider themselves experts. It is complaining about shit you know nothing about, pure and simple.

That said, Sturgeon's Law most certainly applies. I would even say it is the most triumphant example.

AgDr_ODST

Cortana's guardian
Oct 22, 2009
IBlackKiteI said:
AgDr_ODST said:
I quite often read Fanfiction and soooo many are fantastic...all this bashing is pointless and its pissing me off quite frankly....I've read more than my fair share of great stories that take the characters I love from the usual gamit(movies, books,games, anime, TV shows) and weave well writen narratives, that have great action, drama, romance and even suspense. (thanks to cliff hangers and most coming on a chapter by chapter basis) I could link drop atleast 4 here right here and now that Im reading which are either still in progress or already finished that Im throughly enjoying just as much if not more than books in print that I paid money for...
Dude...you must read shitloads...cos like,...I almost never see good fan-fics...

...like...never...

Problem is the majority of game fan-fics that I've read that try to be good are either a very inaccurate retelling of a games events in a very boring and predictable way, or someone going batshit crazy with the canvas of an RPG game and typing out their wet dream.
Seriously, point me in the direction of some good ones.

PLEASE
Could you lemme know what sorta games are you into? cause among the game fics I've been reading its Halo, Mass Effect, Bioshock Team Fortress 2 and an amazing Red Dead Redemption story