What do you think of the word "******"? [LOTS OF CURSE WORDS AHOY]

KefkaCultist

Jun 8, 2010
Louis C.K. has my opinion on the word pretty well covered.
Anyway, it's just a word and the context of how it's used is more important than the word itself.

Gennadios

Aug 19, 2009
I don't use it unless I'm trying to bum a cig off of a friend. Considering how often uncouth mouth-breathers throw it around I'm pretty sure alot of them don't really know what it means, either.

Hell, it took me years to figure out what fudgepacker means. Ooooh, packing fudge, I get it. So yeah, it's a curse word used by people when a simple "dumbass" won't suffice. It's meant to be a true curse word in that you use it when you're trying to be mean and not just playful.

MC K-Mac

Oct 23, 2010
DevilWithaHalo said:
MC K-Mac said:
Like the n-word, you're only allowed to use it if you are one. Otherwise, you're an asshole.
Hey! My sphincter is offended! That is our word, you can only use asshole if you're an asshole. And I, my good sir, am indeed an asshole. I'm also a dick, and let me tell you, it gets complicated being a dick and an asshole at the same time, but damn you can have some nasty fun doing it!
Sorry, Mr. Asshole. Or is it Mr. Dick? For some reason it seems Dick would be your first name.
Dick Asshole - it rolls off the tongue quite nicely!

yeti585

Apr 1, 2012
When I was growing up someone would use the word when another person was "being a ******". It wasn't a gay slur to us until about the 7th grade. Even then it wasn't used as one though. Louis C.K. once put it something like this:
If I happened to come upon two men on the street sucking [censored], and I don't know why I'm watching this. But if one of them stopped and said something real faggy like "People from Phoenix are called Phoenicians" I'd say "Stop being a ****** and suck that-
I should probably stop there. But that was from Louis C.K.'s special "Chewed Up"

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
"******" and "fag" also refer to a bundle of kindling or a cigarette (mainly in the UK). But my opinion of the words is much like my opinion of the swastika, which has religious significance in Hinduism and Buddhism:

I don't care what the older meaning is, there's far too much resentment to use it in polite company. Try waiting a couple centuries before using it.

And if you use it for its bigoted purpose, then you should be lucky that it's a felony for me to castrate you, because I would be completely justified in stopping you from passing your ignorance and stupidity to the next generation, but you're not worth the prison time, you prick.

ItsAChiaotzu

Apr 20, 2009
Erana said:
I typically go by the rule of "if you have to use profanity, slurs, etc., then you probably don't have anything worthwhile to say" and that usually keeps me in the green.

Really, at the most basic level, using "******" as an insult is boring. Coupled with the potential insult that it acts as and that there are plenty of gay people I care about too much to even risk making them uncomfortable with uncouth behavior, its not worth it in my book to use such a term.

Besides, its much more fun to watch people react to when you use a series of old-fashioned or over-complicated adjectives to insult them.
Ok, that first part, I think I'd direct you to Mr Stephen Fry's response to such logic.
For the second, that's simply subjective, some people may think ****** is a riveting and hilarious insult, and that's up to them. You should really treat gay people with the same general sense of context as you do with straight people in that people can generally realise when something is said in jest and when it is said in earnest.
Finally, the last point makes you sound dreadfully arrogant.

neoontime

I forgot what this was before...
Jul 10, 2009
Eh, I use it for slang as d*ck or a$$hole. Plus I got into the 4chan suffix using of the word.

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
templar1138a said:
"******" and "fag" also refer to a bundle of kindling or a cigarette (mainly in the UK). But my opinion of the words is much like my opinion of the swastika, which has religious significance in Hinduism and Buddhism:

I don't care what the older meaning is, there's far too much resentment to use it in polite company. Try waiting a couple centuries before using it.

And if you use it for its bigoted purpose, then you should be lucky that it's a felony for me to castrate you, because I would be completely justified in stopping you from passing your ignorance and stupidity to the next generation, but you're not worth the prison time, you prick.
I'm going to smoke my fags, and eat my faggots to despise your prudishness.

Fag is a popular slang in the UK. Even if you get offended by that, or not, is irrelevant to the fact that it is.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
As said two meanings:

1) God hates Faggots

2) Those faggots ran over my dog and fled the scene!

Guess which context I won't casually condone.

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
One day I was watching The Simpsons, so, yeah.

That's what I always think about when I hear "******".

Luna

Apr 28, 2012
I wish that the definition could change from an insulting term for a gay person to a dumbass/dickhead/etc word.

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
At this point in time, I think it has two meanings.

The first is a slur word for a gay man, and the second, like you said, is something akin to 'asshole', 'dickhead', etc.

Context is everything I suppose, sometimes it's hard to gauge that context.
To me in all honesty, I find the word offensive regardless of context. I apologize, but this is one of those words that I can't really see myself using in a non-comedic context and even then it still rubs me the wrong way.

I don't know, it just seems insensitive is all.
And this is coming from someone who makes Racial, Religious and Tragedy jokes.

Secondly I think it may be because of how alot of society has an initial reaction to verbally castigate those who use the word.

[HEADING=1] Someone used the word ******!?!

ABANDON THREAD[/HEADING]

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
Luna said:
I wish that the definition could change from an insulting term for a gay person to a dumbass/dickhead/etc word.
Hmm that's what it seems to mean alot now adays given the context of the CoD players.
Give it some time, maybe the context and meaning will finally expand to a definition which addresses unlikable people in general

Hell, the word DORK used to mean Whale Penis

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
To my mind it's a general insult, for the most part. It would seem to be a far more potent term in the States than it is in the UK, though. I think '****' is seen as a lot more of a sexist thing over there too, actually, which has always baffled me a little.

neonsword13-ops said:
One day I was watching The Simpsons, so, yeah.

That's what I always think about when I hear "******".
Hehehe, that had me rolling around for a couple of minutes.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
SneeringCanuck said:
I use ****** all the time as a general insult and don't give a shit who I offend.
Considering your avatar appears to be a picture of Lenin with a raging erection, I can believe that.

guitarsniper

Mar 5, 2011
Once, I was playing MW2 on PC, and I was apparently hosting. Supposedly people were lagging a bit. Normally when that happens and I host, I'll leave. It's a manners/karma thing. But when someone asks you to leave by saying "host you're a fucking ****** go die" my response is going to have to be "now see, if you'd said 'host please leave' I'd have left. But because you insist on being rude, no, I won't leave." Petty? yes. Satisfying? yes.

That story out of the way, whenever I encounter people using the word ******, I assume they're referring to the bundle of sticks, and respond to them as such. for the lulz.