What does it take to kill a death claw?

pablogonzalez

Mar 18, 2011
I was mere lad of level 2. walked into sloan just skipped the conversation with the guy ( didn't want to hear it) walked down to the mine turned around some massive werewolf like bat creature is running up to me. I fired my only grenade at it, then took my laser rifle a 4-5 shots on V.A.T.S then when it got into range i used my cowboy repeater but it was less use then the laser rifle. It reached me and took one swipe knocking out 4 fifths of m health, then took another knocking my head off.

And that was my first encounter with a Death Claw. havent gone back to sloan since.... I want to go back to explore it Escapist. How do i go about it?

DJDarque

Words
Aug 24, 2009
I've never played Fallout, but I'm pretty sure you can kill just about anything with enough well-placed bullets.

Jedoro

Jun 28, 2009
Anti-Materiel Rifle or This Machine

You know, something that kicks ass and takes names. Be sure to give it and ammo to Boone, cause chances are he's better with it than you are.

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
go back at level 17+ and bring the best weapons you can, preferably explosive or long range... why the hell didn't you listen to all the people telling you NORTH IS BAD!

If you have them, use Bottlecap mines to cripple the Deathclaws, they slow to a crawl when their legs are damaged.

Be aware, 2 Boss level deathclaws are in the quarry. A matriarch (huge deathclaw) and a patriarch (average sized, but darker skin tone)... the latter can kill a level 20 player with medium endurance in power armour in 1 swipe.

EDIT: Don't go back there until you're level 18 (better leave it until level 20) have 90+ in explosive, guns or energy weapons and have a few associated perks that buff those skill sets.

High DAM weapons are you're friend, low DAM will do you no good. High Critical chance is also good (finesse and better crits, and any weapon that naturally gives high crit hit chance).

EDIT EDIT: If your playing on Hardcore, don't bring any melee companions (like rex or lilly) as they will get DESTROYED (and you lose them permanently on Hardcore).

cryogeist

Apr 16, 2010
well let's put it his way
fallout 3 there was a gun called the Fatman...it fired mini nukes that's what it took in fallout 3...in new vagas...not sure...didn't really like that one

Fooz

Oct 22, 2010
well your first mistake was not listening to the guy lol, he tells you not to go there as you will and you did get fucked up.

go back at a later level when any of your weapon skills are at like 70, then you will stand a chance, even then if you go into the quarry you will get destroyed, there are like 25+ Deathclaws in there with some alpha's and a mother who is a nutter

it would help to get boone as well, as he can snipe them.

Nocta-Aeterna

Aug 3, 2009
First: shoot him with the Dartgun, it does little damage, but it instantly cripples the legs, which eliminates the Deathclaws prime advantages (his speed and jump/lunge attack). Second: blast away.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Well, in fallout 3 it just seemed to take a good amount of shotgun ammo, but I don't know about new Vegas.

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
pablogonzalez said:
I was mere lad of level 2. walked into sloan just skipped the conversation with the guy ( didn't want to hear it) walked down to the mine turned around some massive werewolf like bat creature is running up to me. I fired my only grenade at it, then took my laser rifle a 4-5 shots on V.A.T.S then when it got into range i used my cowboy repeater but it was less use then the laser rifle. It reached me and took one swipe knocking out 4 fifths of m health, then took another knocking my head off.

And that was my first encounter with a Death Claw. havent gone back to sloan since.... I want to go back to explore it Escapist. How do i go about it?
Maybe next time you should listen to what people have to say, I'm pretty sure most of the Sloan workers mention staying away from Deathclaws.

andreas3K

Feb 6, 2010
Level 15 or higher, high Guns skill, and a Hunting Rifle + scope or some other high power scoped rifle.
Shoot from as far away as you can. Sneak attack headshots are useful.

MadCapMunchkin

Charismatic Stallion
Apr 23, 2010
I'm able to take them on with shotguns, but then I have pretty much every shotgun-related Perk to crank up the damage to insane levels and I'm using Dinner Bell, so most Deathclaws take two shots and they're out...

pablogonzalez

Mar 18, 2011
Ragsnstitches said:
go back at level 17+ and bring the best weapons you can, preferably explosive or long range... why the hell didn't you listen to all the people telling you NORTH IS BAD!

If you have them, use Bottlecap mines to cripple the Deathclaws, they slow to a crawl when their legs are damaged.

Be aware, 2 Boss level deathclaws are in the quarry. A matriarch (huge deathclaw) and a patriarch (average sized, but darker skin tone)... the latter can kill a level 20 player with medium endurance in power armour in 1 swipe.

EDIT: Don't go back there until you're level 18 (better leave it until level 20) have 90+ in explosive, guns or energy weapons and have a few associated perks that buff those skill sets.

High DAM weapons are you're friend, low DAM will do you no good. High Critical chance is also good (finesse and better crits, and any weapon that naturally gives high crit hit chance).

EDIT EDIT: If your playing on Hardcore, don't bring any melee companions (like rex or lilly) as they will get DESTROYED (and you lose them permanently on Hardcore).
uhh....noone actually told me not to go north...