What Does the Future Look Like for White Wolf?

Conrad Zimmerman

Dec 24, 2013
What Does the Future Look Like for White Wolf?

, the current licensee of the Mind's Eye Theater line of live-action roleplaying products, to develop more around that concept as well.

While World of Darkness isn't the only property to have changed hands in the acquisition, it is where the new White Wolf will be focusing its attention. "Vampire and Werewolf are the strongest ones, but there's definitely a lot," said Sjögren. "I think that's a strength of this kind of IP catalog. There are all of these different ways into looking at this universe. We're intending to work with all those IPs.

"There's a lot more that's going to happen. I hope we can tell you more plans in the future. Right now, it's just figuring out what the next step is."

Jan 12, 2012
Interesting that the tabletop games get such short shrift, though not unexpected given Paradox is a video game studio. I know that White Wolf has been working on a new edition of Scion for the better part of three years, and I want to see how that turns out, not to mention Pendragon and Exalted. People like WoD and I'm sure they think another Bloodlines would be a hit video game, but I hope they aren't going to neglect the other properties under the White Wolf banner.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Conrad Zimmerman said:
For Paradox, this is an investment where we want to see our money come back

Wolf intends to license the IP into as many channels as possible
My keen Gamer Senses tells me that we will see a slew of poorly made, microtransaction-fueled mobile games.

Darkness665

Dec 21, 2010
At lest they have escaped the fumbling fingers of Crazy Clown Programming. Which should mean they will be able to work on their game and not be thrown repeatedly at a myriad of other problems.

Hopefully. Good Luck to them.

Auberon

Aug 29, 2012
Onyx bought Trinity, Scion etc so that's up to them.White Wolf still has WoD and Exalted for major gamelines, which have potential for grand strategy - Camarilla Princes and Dragonblooded Dynasts respectively. Possibly Sidereal keeping the world together.

Kajin

This Title Will Be Gone Soon
Apr 13, 2008
008Zulu said:
Conrad Zimmerman said:

My keen Gamer Senses tells me that we will see a slew of poorly made, microtransaction-fueled mobile games.
I think your "keen Gamer Senses" are in need of a trip to a blacksmith for resharpening and general maintenance. Paradox Interactive is a pretty solid maker of video games.

Often

Apr 18, 2010
Bloodlines sequel. Please. Please. Please. I don't have a first born yet, but god damn it, I will make it happen and hand it over.

Kajin

This Title Will Be Gone Soon
Apr 13, 2008
008Zulu said:
Kajin said:
Paradox Interactive is a pretty solid maker of video games.
So was EA, Ubisoft and Konami.
I shall believe that they will continue to provide solid entertainment until they prove that they no longer can. One studio buying another studio does NOT equate to steepled fingers and spontaneous twirled mustache growth. If I have any reason to believe a future decrease in quality titles is imminent believe you me I'll be one of the loudest people crowing about it.

Ender910_v1legacy

Oct 22, 2009
008Zulu said:
Kajin said:
Paradox Interactive is a pretty solid maker of video games.
So was EA, Ubisoft and Konami.
Yes... but it's a little early to jump to such conclusions regarding Paradox. With much success does come some risk of corruption and greed, but so far Paradox hasn't really done anything particularly heinous that warrants a characterization of their company as a "villain".

I will admit though, the excess in DLC for CKII did irk me a little, but mostly because of my completionistic-"neurosis". Most of the DLC itself has had fairly favorable quality, excessive as it may have gotten at times.

Also, just to add, I really don't think EA ever really made particularly great games. Published on occasion yes, but their in-house development history isn't especially spectacular.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Ender910 said:
but so far Paradox hasn't really done anything particularly heinous that warrants a characterization of their company as a "villain".
A lot of companies that have had favourable reviews from fans have turned around to bite the hands that feed them, Overkill's Payday comes to mind.

I'm not saying that they will become total sellouts, but I won't be surprised if they do.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
Kajin said:
008Zulu said:
Conrad Zimmerman said:

I think your "keen Gamer Senses" are in need of a trip to a blacksmith for resharpening and general maintenance. Paradox Interactive is a pretty solid maker of video games.
Lol no kidding, I'd expect mobile f2p shit if activision bought White Wolf, but ya Paradox is going to want their money back they do this by making a game with said new ip and selling lots of copies. So maybe a Bloodlines sequel or something in the same vain? Heck they could even do paid expansions for their most popular games CK2 and Europa that adds in vampires, mages, werewolves etc, in the short term to recoupe some cash.

Ender910_v1legacy

Oct 22, 2009
008Zulu said:
A lot of companies that have had favourable reviews from fans have turned around to bite the hands that feed them, Overkill's Payday comes to mind.

I'm not saying that they will become total sellouts, but I won't be surprised if they do.
I can sort of agree there, especially with the level of corporate bullshit we've seen in the gaming industry as the industry's grown more popular. So the possibility certainly exists, but for now I'll remain cautiously optimistic about Paradox.

Also yes, I'm extremely aware of what Starbreeze/Overkill have been pulling out of their collective asses. They always did love trolling their fanbase.

DeimosMasque

I'm just a Smeg Head
Jun 30, 2010
Thunderous Cacophony said:
Interesting that the tabletop games get such short shrift, though not unexpected given Paradox is a video game studio. I know that White Wolf has been working on a new edition of Scion for the better part of three years, and I want to see how that turns out, not to mention Pendragon and Exalted. People like WoD and I'm sure they think another Bloodlines would be a hit video game, but I hope they aren't going to neglect the other properties under the White Wolf banner.
Actually if I recall correctly Scion is owned by Onyx Path Publishing, the current licensee of the Original and New World of Darkness material. They operated independently from White Wolf.

Jason Carl

Oct 31, 2015
Hi Conrad - "Minds Eye Studios" is actually "By Night Studios" (bynightstudios.com, facebook.com/bynightstudios, @bynightstudios). :)

Jan 12, 2012
DeimosMasque said:
Actually if I recall correctly Scion is owned by Onyx Path Publishing, the current licensee of the Original and New World of Darkness material. They operated independently from White Wolf.
Good call. I forgot that Onyx Path split off to dodge the debts of White Wolf, and that some products were transferred wholesale while others were just licenses. Any idea what Paradox actually bought, besides WoD? Most of the stuff I find says that they purchased 'White Wolf and all properties' and that they'll be 'evaluating licenses' but there's no clear breakdown of what specifically that covers.

Conrad Zimmerman

Dec 24, 2013
Jason Carl said:
Hi Conrad - "Minds Eye Studios" is actually "By Night Studios" (bynightstudios.com, facebook.com/bynightstudios, @bynightstudios). :)
Deeply sorry for the error. The article has been updated to reflect the correct name. Got my wires crossed a bit.

Kahani

May 25, 2011
008Zulu said:
Conrad Zimmerman said:

Not necessarily. Games Workshop have done exactly the same, handing out video game licenses like candy, but I'd say there have been enough good games as a result that it's been completely worth it both for them and us. And I'm not sure any of them have actually been microtransaction-fueled mobile games, although that may only be because GW are determined that they're going to be the ones to ruin their properties rather than let anyone else do it for them.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
DeimosMasque said:
Thunderous Cacophony said:
So what titles do they actually still own the rights to? Or is it simply name recognition without any of the actual source material still controlled by the company?