What game did you know was bad/awful, and yet you still played it?

Danny91

May 30, 2011
Well, the thrust of this is that many times, from a purely objective viewpoint, I outright KNOW a game is bad or terrible in certain ways, and yet, I still keep playing it, for one reason or another. Two of the recent ones that spring to mind were FF XIII and Dragon Age II; both games that can and have had multiple reasonable criticisms leveled against them; and which, I still played for many many hours.

Thoughts?

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
Timesplitters 2. The way how the game played with the shooting system was horrible. However, Timesplitters: Future Perfect was one of my favorite games for the last console generation.

I summon the flame shield to protect me.

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
I concur with Final Fantasy XIII. I really tried to play through and once I got to the part where people said it got better, it got better in some ways, but got worse in more.

Danny91

May 30, 2011
Games that you personally could see great fault with; and yet something about them kept you coming back. Like, take my FF XIII example above. To be especially harsh, the movies were too long, the game was too linear, the leveling up system was boring, and the story was more forgettable then others in the series. All of these points I realized without needing to look at external reviews. And yet, I still spent 40 hours on that game, because enough of it kept me going.

Like, if you were to look at a game from an entirely external position, would you say it was bad? ...and then, did you still play it for quite a while?

Thats my question; the reasons why you did play it can be anything, and I would be interested to hear them.

Ilikemilkshake

Jun 7, 2010
TheYellowCellPhone said:
Timesplitters 2. The way how the game played with the shooting system was horrible.

Blasphemer!
I loved Timesplitters 2, it was probably my favourite shooter of last generation.
Granted yes the mechanics actually arent that good but somehow i loved it anyway, must have played for literally hundreds of hours with my friends doing co-op and versus

And to answer the original question, i cant cant actually think of any, maybe the first Witcher?

L3m0n_L1m3

Jul 27, 2009
MercurySteam said:
Brink. I tried, I really did, but the frustration was not worth it.
This, basically.

I really wanted to enjoy the game, the non-existant campaign, completely incompetent AI and inability to play online were too much for me.

Iwata

Feb 25, 2010
Turning Point: Fall of Liberty, Legendary, Naughty Bear... all terrible games, all gave me hours of fun.

The Apothecarry

Mar 6, 2011
TheYellowCellPhone said:
Timesplitters 2. The way how the game played with the shooting system was horrible. However, Timesplitters: Future Perfect was one of my favorite games for the last console generation.

I never found much of a problem with TS's shooting system. Probably because I was having too much fun.

I'd have to say Brink. I fell for the hype and pre-ordered it. Play it by yourself and you'll go nuts with the AI, but play it with a friend and it's fucking awesome, mostly because you and your friend are trying to pick each other out of opposing lineups with sniper rifles.

Oh, and Dead or Alive Xtreme 2. Got back from PAX 2009 and I was so happy that I didn't care about anything, so I bought it. Best $20 I ever spent for about a week, then I never touched until my roommates got drunk and started talking about virtual girls. I just HAD to make them play it.

Danny91

May 30, 2011
....I had a friend who, I guess a year and a half ago, was telling me about how Brink would revolutionize video gaming as a medium. Call me cynical, but I think it was then that I knew it would disappoint me....sigh...

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Why I have invested so many hours into the horribly broken MW2 multiplayer keeps being a riddle for me. I didn't even have friends or something to play with, yet I kept playing despite the rage, despite the frustration.

Also, Dragon Age 2 wasn't that bad.
MercurySteam said:
Brink. I tried, I really did, but the frustration was not worth it.
Doesn't really count now does it? I mean, you gave up on it. This thread is about bad games you didn't give up on.

And I have to agree with you by the way. I tried so hard, and sometimes I did shine. But those moments were so few and far between it was just not worth it.

fates_puppet13

Dec 20, 2010
fable 3
i played it mostly because the previous 2 games reduced me to a fanboy for an unspecified amount of time

im still fond of the first 2 fables
but fable 3 was just plain awful by comparison