What game from this past generation did you have the most fun playing?

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
It's a tossup between Bioshock and Borderlands. Bioshock probably was a more unique experience because of the environment, but Borderlands got so many more play hours, as well as plenty of co-op in there as well. I'm also a sucker for loot.

Oddly, Borderlands 2, though better in every possible way, I just didn't connect with. I loosely accuse my hours in BL1 for making BL2 not as repeatedly enjoyable, but I think it comes down to actually having good characters and a story. Once you go through that once, playing it again seems trivial. I feel some of the most replayable games, like Diablo 2 and Borderlands have their weak stories being a boon to them.

Honorable Mention:
Since we are going to consider PC games of "this generation" being during this console cycle, I feel that I can't finish this post without mentioning Supreme Commander and its expansion. Bioshock and Borderlands made FPS games enjoyable and replayable unlike most games from their genre, but Supcom basically ruined all other RTS games for me. Too good.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Single player
Valkyria Chronicles 2. I racked up over 100 hours leveling my troops, adjusting my strategies over and over, just to beat those last few bonus missions, but I got there in the end. And it felt good.

Multiplayer
It has its flaws, but the sheer variety in builds you can play more than makes up for it. I also found a great group of people to play with, so that also helped a lot. Didn't take us long to become a well-oiled warmachine that tore trough waves like a chainsword through warm butter.
TyrunnAlberyn said:
Especially fun when we set ourselves some of the sillier challenges, like trying to two-man Gold.
You should try doing that, but using only Krogan melee against Collectors on Gold. No powers, no weapons, no missiles, just melee. We made it till extraction once, but both got cornered and synckilled by the same Praetorian.

Ecliptica Wolf

Apr 20, 2011
Singleplayer: Hitman Blood Money - Possible one of the finest games of this generation, I've sank many many hours into this game just getting Silent Assassin on all the missions.

Multiplayer: Red Orchestra 2 - Nothing else like it this generation (unless you can count the original) but still the only online game I've spent more than 60 hours in.

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
Single Player has to be Fallout New Vegas. Absolutely cracking game with awesome DLC that kept it going and going.

Multiplayer-wise, Left 4 Dead 2 is just the ultimate fun time with my mates.

UniversalRonin

Nov 14, 2012
Single Player:
Fallout New Vegas. I wasted literally hundreds of hours playing that game. And I loved every modded to the nines second of it)

Multiplayer:
starwhal. just google it, play it, and love it.

NearLifeExperience

Oct 21, 2012
A very hard choice between Faster Than Light and Papers Please, two unforgiving indie games that really gave me a run for my money. Both games showed me that a game with novels worth of text to be read can still be a very engaging and exciting challenge. But I think the honour ultimately goes to FTL, due to it tendency to randomly pit you against near impossible odds and my mildy masochistic nature. It meant ofcourse that like 70% of it is dumbfound luck and the remaining 30 is actual skill and experience, but this also gave it tons of replay value. I always had a "Oh I'll show you, game!" attitude
towards it, keeping me motivated to play more. It's unfairness often made me angry and frustrated, but like Yahtzee said in one of his recent videos, anger doesn't bore. Quite frankly I think it's a beatiful thing.

Honourable mention goes to The Showdown Effect, the online multiplayer arena brawler with a no-nonsense attitude that doesn't afraid of anything. If you are not familiar with this title, think of it as a Super Smash Brothers like game with a lot of guns and silly one liners that would seem like they're straight from cheesy movies. The game is more simplistic and way leaner than aforementioned SSB, but offers enough depth to have epic showdowns. Definitely worth a look, more people should play this. I'm always up for a good round of TSE, hit me up if you're playing too :)

E-Dogg

Aug 19, 2009
King of Asgaard said:
Singleplayer:
Dark Souls. It came out 2 years ago and I'm still playing it regularly.

I don't partake in multiplayer. I play games for the single player; the multi is just a short-lived distraction to me.
Single player: Dark Souls, agreed, but you could say the multiplayer-part (co-op with random playeres, invaders chasing you)is what made the game so incredibly varied and fun!

So Multi-Player, a toss up between DotA2 and Dark Souls (if you count DS as a multiplayer).

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Oh, I see we're talking about the 7th Gen here.

Singleplayer: It's a good job that I'm not basing this on repeat playthroughs because Halo 3 would have won hands down, and it doesn't deserve my praise in the singleplayer department. I'm going to say Oblivion, at nearly a thousand hour's playtime, and countless characters as well as still finding new things and letting the world just crush me in it's loveliness. Coming from Morrowind which I could only tolerate because the world was lovely (if a little depressing), Oblivion was a nice refreshing drink that still tastes as sweet.

Multiplayer: Gears of War 3. Sorry, there is no competition. Best multiplayer experience of this gen, probably most balanced, wonderful variety and medals and ribbons to go for on beautifully designed and structured maps and game modes trying to put a spin on things (See King of the Hill and Team Deathmatch). A game which makes me want to play Team Deathmatch is definetly the right game for me. Oh yeah and rewarding skill and finesse instead of connection, that's a big one.

King of Asgaard

Vae Victis, Woe to the Conquered
Oct 31, 2011
E-Dogg said:
King of Asgaard said:
Singleplayer:
Dark Souls. It came out 2 years ago and I'm still playing it regularly.

I don't partake in multiplayer. I play games for the single player; the multi is just a short-lived distraction to me.
Single player: Dark Souls, agreed, but you could say the multiplayer-part (co-op with random playeres, invaders chasing you)is what made the game so incredibly varied and fun!

So Multi-Player, a toss up between DotA2 and Dark Souls (if you count DS as a multiplayer).
I'd have named Dark Souls' multiplayer if it remained good. Unfortunately, with the increasing number of cheaters/hackers, twinkers and general latency issues that still exist, I can't, because multiplayer just isn't that fun any more to me.

CannibalCorpses

Aug 21, 2011
I'm torn between Fallout 3 and Red dead redemption...both are fantastic games that have had over 500 hours of my time...

Multiplayer...nothing. All multiplayer games i've taken part in have either been far too easy or just plain broken. Fuck multiplayer gaming!

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
Single player: If it's allowed Zelda: Twilight Princess, though I prefer the Gamecube version so it may not be applicable. If not, then it's a close call between Pokemon Black, Zelda: Skyward Sword, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, or Halo 3 campaign. It is a tremendously wishy washy answer I know...

Multiplayer: Not as big a fan as I used to be of multiplayer, but I played a lot of Halo 3, Halo reach, and Call of Duty 4 and Black Ops. My favorite of the bunch would probably be Halo 3.

puff ball

Mar 14, 2011
single player im gonna add another vote for oblivion just wandering around exploring the world was so fun for me.

multiplayer has to be team fortress 2 and im kinda sad im the first one to do so its so much fun pure and simple.

Chemical Alia

Feb 1, 2011
This is where I realize how few games I actually got to finish or even enjoyed in the past several years.

Single player: Paper Mario 2. Or was that on the Gamecube?

Multiplayer: difficult toss up between Gears of War 1 and TF2

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
THEMILKMAN said:
Single Player: Believe it or not, Brutal Legend. It's not even close to the best game I played for the generation but it's very likely to be the most fun game I played. Sure, there's tons of things wrong with it but it doesn't change the fact that in the almost 3 playthroughs of the game I've done (almost done with the 3rd now), I had a genuinely great time, every time. It also doesn't hurt that I have hard-ons for heavy metal, Tim Schafer, Jack Black, and original ideas. It doesn't get much more original than bringing heavy metal album covers to life, also the best soundtrack throughout gaming history doesn't hurt it's case either.

An honorable mention goes to Metal Gear Rising though because of it's sheer balls-to-the-wall fun. Again though, I pop chubs for heavy metal and Metal Gear.

Multiplayer: Persona 4 Arena. I adore Arc System Works fighting games more than anything and really enjoy the persona series as well. It just stands to reason that I'd love the hell out of this game.
I can have fun with Heavy Metal just by driving around the world with Angel Witch playing in the car, just admiring the scenery. It's great fun. My only personal issue with it was that they needed to diversify the side missions more.

optimusjamie

Jul 14, 2012
Single player: Either Skyrim or New Vegas. Both have beautiful open worlds filled with (mostly) interesting characters and plenty of expansions to keep the game going, albiet in the case of Skyrim, the better ones were fanmade, like Moonpath to Elseweyr or Wyrmstooth. Not sure if it counts, but I had a lot of fun with the Ace Attorney series.

Multiplayer: Team Fortress 2. Over the years, TF2 has evolved into one of the most diverse and dynamic games out there. Each class has items/item sets that completely change how they're played- and that's awesome.

BLAHwhatever

Aug 30, 2011
Orks must die! and Dwarf Fortress take the cake in the fun department for me
The first just for it's great humor and simple but fun gameplay
The latter for the sheer endless trap constructions and general infinite shenanigans

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
That's a really hard question. I've played a lot of fun games this gen.

Well...

Single Player: Probably Fallout: New Vegas. I love the world, the cast of characters, the many different ways to play, and the DLC. If the game wasn't so buggy, it would be almost perfect.

Multiplayer: Team Fortress 2. I always seem to find myself going back to this game and never getting bored of playing it. The only thing that keeps me from playing it all the time would probably be my shitty laptop.