What game series means the most to you emotionally?

Feb 7, 2016
When I think back to all of the games I played growing up, and how much they influenced my life and what I thought about things, I keep coming back to my long days of playing the Kingdom Hearts series.

Kingdom Hearts was a kind of fairy tale of a game to me for the longest time. When the first game came out, I was still in elementary school, and nearly all of my friends at the lunch table were talking about how amazing it was. I kept hearing them talk about all the cool Final Fantasy characters and well known Disney characters fighting countless enemies and how the story was awesome, but I didn't have a PS2 back then. In fact, I was still stuck with my old N64, only able to play PS1 when I visited my grandmother (my uncle lived with her, and his son had the PS1. So when he wasn't there I would play it)

I didn't play a Kingdom Hearts game until years later when I was about 13. I tried asking my father to get it earlier than that when I had money, but he kept trying to convince me it was a game for little kids.

So my birthday that year, I saw a pile of presents on the living room chair when I got home, and in the middle were a few clearly DVD/PS2 game shaped gifts, of which I tried to save for last since if I did get KH, my excitement of it wouldn't overshadow everything else I had yet to open.

Sure enough, the first of the games I opened was Kingdom Hearts, and I played it endlessly that night and weekend.

Kingdom Hearts shaped a lot of how I felt at the time, being an angsty teenager lost emotionally somewhere between a world of bitter adults and hyperactive children. The story was cheesy as all hell, but it honestly did make me realize that everyone has a story to their life and that sometimes when people act rude and nasty, they don't always mean it and some kind of conflict leading up to that point.

The game made me teach myself to give everyone the benefit of the doubt before I instantly judged someone for their actions. Everyone has hardships to deal with.

When I got Kingdom Hearts 2, everything I thought I knew about video game sequels changed. This game was bigger, faster, and better in nearly every way. My best friend and I would talk about the game all the time, it's lore, characters, and even make up our own stories. We'd try "keyblade" battles with the stalks of bamboo we found near his house, often resulting in someone getting their hand smacked, but it was all in good fun.

And for better or worse, the series also influenced some of my story writing at the time. Not like fan fiction or anything, but just certain concepts adapted away from "hearts" into souls or something. Hard to say really, I never had the foresight to keep most of my old writing.

It was also a RPG so accessible to so many people, that it was easy to find friends who also played the game and knew what we were talking about. I had entire friendships form around this game, and stupidly enough, the games constantly reminded me to hold onto these friendships and treat each one specially.

Going back to the HD collection today just floods me with all these memories of hanging out with friends, how the game influenced me throughout school and teenage life. I replayed the games nearly every summer, whether I completed it again or not, and I just remember all the times I'd hang out with my best friend just before the sun started to glow orange while setting, and we'd go home and I'd play a few hours of Kingdom Hearts 2. I played other games too of course, the Final Fantasy games a close second in terms of childhood impact.

I get feelings of both warmth and sadness from playing these games again. And I apologize if this post was too long, but it felt nice to share and I was curious what games everyone else had that influenced their growing up in some way. Whether it got you through a tough time, or playing the game today simply reminds you of good times.

Feb 7, 2016
I suppose stuff like earlier Final Fantasies (dat music), Zelda's (dat nostalgia) and MGS (dat everything) have had the biggest impact in that regard to me. Silent Hill to some extent as well, but in a different way. It was the only series that was intimidating thematically, and had that feeling be able to seep into the gameplay. It could be truly unnerving.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I guess the classic Resident Evil games. Starting with 2 it just grabbed me by the balls (balls is an emotion, right?), and I still remember that feeling of drinking it all in the very first time. Leon and Claire became my bro's, and the Racoon City police station was like my church.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Final Fantasy VI. It's full of touching and emotional moments, and each playable character has their own arc (except for the secret ones).

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Casual Shinji said:
I guess the classic Resident Evil games. Starting with 2 it just grabbed me by the balls (balls is an emotion, right?), and I still remember that feeling of drinking it all in the very first time. Leon and Claire became my bro's, and the Racoon City police station was like my church.
And that interrogation room is where I screamed "Jesus!" the loudest ever in my life.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
CaitSeith said:
Casual Shinji said:
And that interrogation room is where I screamed "Jesus!" the loudest ever in my life.
Nah man, the library. Never thought a bit of wood breaking could scare the all mighty crap out of me.

Smithnikov_v1legacy

May 7, 2016
The Wing Commander series.

These were my real intro into PC gaming proper. True, I already had some experience in the past with the old Tandy CoCo and some text games and primitive as fuck cassette tape games, but this was the first real taste of what the PC scene of the 90's could do. Me and my brother, rest his soul, bonded over them.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
I mean, I'd have something to contribute to this thread if the OP hadn't stolen my answer.

Mcgeezaks

The biggest boss
Dec 31, 2009
Sweden
Country
Sweden
Halo and Gears of War were the 2 series that really got me into gaming, I have very fond memories of playing Halo:CE through Reach and Gears of War 1 & 2. They made me into a huge Xbox fanboy and had me fanboying through the GameTrailers forum back in 2008, good times.

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
Mega Man. Playing any of the early iterations in Classic or the X series transports me back to the delicious chill of my house's basement on a crisp winter (or summer) morn, me still in my pajamas. Plus, with the exception of some poorly thought-out segments in Classic, they're still really good. Of course I eagerly snapped up MM9 and 10 when they came out.

Also host to some of the best game-related fanfiction I've ever read, closing up all the annoying story gaps Capcom never bothered filling and creating a truly generational conflict between the sons of Light and Wily.

DrownedAmmet

Apr 13, 2015
Zelda for the way it's been a touchstone in the relationship between me and some family members, it's awesome to play Breath of the Wild with my nephew and watch him have the same sense of wonder that I had at that age with Ocarina of Time

But personally it's Dark Souls. It was the game I played after I moved out on my own for the first time and was dealing with a breakup and the whole "I'm not sure what I'm doing in the grand scheme of things so I'm just gonna keep moving forward and kick the ass of whatever the fuck is in my way right now"

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Homeworld 1 and Cataclysm (Didn't really like Homeworld 2).

Bought the first game at like 3am at Wal Mart, after it had been out for a while. Had never heard of it, thought it looked semi-interesting, and I was in between games, so I needed something to occupy my time. It had the instruction book in it, that included like 40 pages of history and lore about the clans of the game, and how they came to learn of their origins. Fell in love with it from that book alone, and then I loaded up the game. The music playing Adagio for Strings as the Mothership makes her maiden voyage actually brought tears to my eyes, it had such a haunting, ethereal feel to it.

And then lots of other things with those two games that I don't really want to go into, as it would take forever to type out every bit that hit me emotionally. But those games evoked more and varied emotions in me than just about any other game I've ever played.

2nd place for emotional game for me would be Life is Strange.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Hard to say, I'm a pretty big fan of the 3D Zelda series but I'm not sure I could call that an emotional investment. The only emotion is mild excitement and fading wonder, I haven't even obtained a Nintendo console in the last 5 years either.

Actual emotions though, as opposed to those David Cage emotions? Probably telltale's The Walking Dead along with the Wolf Among Us and Tales from the Borderlands. Maybe Life is Strange, but I feel a bit suspicious of the sequel that Squeenix no doubt forced into existence, so am not too excited about that.
The Last Guardian did something special to my heartstrings, every time Trico slipped or messed up even slightly, I could feel my heart sink at the sight of her struggling, knowing i could be of no help. Nothing else in this media has created a connection with such instinctual purity. The gameplay was frustrating at times, but they did such a great job at making her feel real that no other game has come anywhere close to, it might be one of those games the future will look more kindly upon, like a cult classic with flaws but a strong, unique identity. Until anybody tries something similar, but that would take a lot of time/effort/skill.

StatusNil

Oct 5, 2014
Mass Effect. First it meant that I could still get all feely about a game, even at my advanced age. It gave me hope and comfort, made me feel less disconnected.

Then, when ME3 came out, it started meaning something else entirely.

Screw you, BioWarez. Screw you so very much.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Must be Final Fantasy 7 and Bloodborne. These are the games that resonated with me the strongest. There are other games I'm really fond of but there is something about these two games I love so much and can't quite put my finger on. It's a similar feeling despite being totally different games.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
The impact the "Halo" series has on my life when it comes to gaming is probably even larger than I think. It's a big reason why I care about video game stories. "Halo 3" was probably the first multiplayer game I played extensively. The series is a large part of why I got into internet communities and forums. The music is the standard to which I compare to all other games. I love that they hold up on revisiting them. They have me appreciating different things than when I was a kid but I still get basically the same amount of enjoyment from them.

There's more I could say, and more that I cannot think of but most probably can be attributed to that series. It probably explains why so many of my posts and opinions about the series were drenched in irritation after the series took a nosedive around the turn of the decade. But yeah, I have near infinite love for the series through the good and the bad.