What Game would you forget?

Brokencontroller

Elite Member
Dec 30, 2021
Country
usa
I just have a genuinely curious question for the forum.

What game do you wish you could forget, not because it sucked, but because it was so good that you wish you could play it for the first time all over again?

For me personally, it would probably be The Witcher 3 or maybe my first Dark Souls game. There is a magic especially in a Souls game as you go from noob to okayish. And the thing about Souls games which sucks, is you cant ever really forgot how to play them. If you get really good at any Souls game, you basically become good at all of them, which makes playing a brand new one like Elden Ring slightly tainted.

How bout you?

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
A few actually.

Zelda: A Link to the Past
Mortal Kombat 1_3
Killer Instinct
DOOM
Mario 64
FFVII
MGS (series)
Silent Hill 1 & 2
THPS
Demon’s Souls
Dark Souls
Bloodborne
Sekiro
God of War (series)
Red Dead: Redemption 2

But then again, damn how many hours would that take again? Insanity might set in if I had to relive the total combined experiences. Can we at least keep our old profile tucked away with the saves/trophies?

Last edited:
Reactions: Brokencontroller

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Any good puzzle game basically because once you know the puzzle solutions, you can't really replay them and enjoy much of anything besides the story if it was good. I've been replaying Portal 2 very off and on for like the last year because I forgot pretty much all the puzzle solutions. I'd also love to forget Shadow of the Colossus.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
If you could just forget a game you would literally only need a single game your entire life, just constantly forget and replay it. If we ever figure out how to wipe specific memory from people the art industry will just collapse.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
The Mass Effect trilogy for sure.

Possibly also the TellTale Walking Dead games.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Tales of the Borderlands. Humour only works for me as a surprise, so every time I've tried to replay it I got depressed and bored. Deleting those memories would most likely help enjoy it again, but on the other hand I wouldn't be able to appreciate that I'm enjoying it a second time, so maybe it wouldn't be such a good idea anyway? I dunno. I just want to feel something positive again damnit!

Reactions: Dalisclock

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Return of the Obra Dinn.

It's a game that is pretty much solving a mystery and once you know how the mystery goes it doesn't quite have that same appeal on repeat playthroughs. And I really liked the whole "What the Hell happned next?" thing that game had. Or maybe I should rephrase that because you technically start at the end and follow the ships voyage back to the beginning, so maybe it's more of figuring out how everyone died(This isn't a spoiler considering that ship had a very high number of casualties).

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
An aspect of this question I don't see brought up is how important the time and condition of yourself has for your enjoyment of a game. Like, I have fond memories of Silent Hill 4 because of me and a friend playing through it together but if I played it today with no memories of that experience then I wouldn't enjoy it. Now that isn't even close to one of my favorite games but I think you get my point.

At any rate, I guess I'd enjoy forgetting Slay the Spire and being able to redo that long journey since I've gotten so much enjoyment out of it.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Arkham City. I'm a huge Batman fan, but I watched quite a lot of gameplay and playthroughs before I played the game. Learned pretty much the whole plot too. Joker's death probably would have had more of an impact on me.

Max Payne 3, because shit the opening levels are such a chore to get through when you can't skip through the cutscenes.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Brokencontroller

Elite Member
Dec 30, 2021
Country
usa
An aspect of this question I don't see brought up is how important the time and condition of yourself has for your enjoyment of a game. Like, I have fond memories of Silent Hill 4 because of me and a friend playing through it together but if I played it today with no memories of that experience then I wouldn't enjoy it. Now that isn't even close to one of my favorite games but I think you get my point.

At any rate, I guess I'd enjoy forgetting Slay the Spire and being able to redo that long journey since I've gotten so much enjoyment out of it.
That is a fair point. I dont think i would want to forget memories of WoW because my guild and friends wouldnt be there if i tried to play it fresh and that would make for a very different experience with that game.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Return of the Obra Dinn.

It's a game that is pretty much solving a mystery and once you know how the mystery goes it doesn't quite have that same appeal on repeat playthroughs. And I really liked the whole "What the Hell happned next?" thing that game had. Or maybe I should rephrase that because you technically start at the end and follow the ships voyage back to the beginning, so maybe it's more of figuring out how everyone died(This isn't a spoiler considering that ship had a very high number of casualties).
Yeah, I'll second Obra Dinn, a great game with almost no replay value. Also
Tales of the Borderlands. Humour only works for me as a surprise, so every time I've tried to replay it I got depressed and bored. Deleting those memories would most likely help enjoy it again, but on the other hand I wouldn't be able to appreciate that I'm enjoying it a second time, so maybe it wouldn't be such a good idea anyway? I dunno. I just want to feel something positive again damnit!
Now, I haven't played Tales of the Borderlands... I don't particularly care about Borderlands or its story (despite how much Borderlands and 2 I've logged playing with pals) but the replayability thing is true of any of the TellTale games. I'd love to play The Walking Dead for the first time again. Then there are games I'd like to play for the first time again... that have tons of replay value. I'm thinking specifically about Fallout New Vegas here. I'm actually playing through NV again now, but I'd love for it to be the first time experiencing the story again.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Does anyone remember Remember Me?

As for I, it depends on the game. I recently replayed Alan Wake, and there was some stuff I genuinely forgot. I still remember the overall story and narrative structure, but it was just small details I didn't remember.

Lollipop Chainsaw I remember having a good time, but I couldn't touch it again after playing Killer Is Dead. You realize that there's not much to the combat, despite it trying to have some depth. It's one of those games where once you play and beat it, there's not much else to do. The higher difficulties aren't much fun and there's no strategy or enemy changes. They just get more health and do more damage. Not worth the frustration. I traded the game in about 2016. With that said, I still like Juliet Starling. She still has a lot of fans, male or female. In fact, it's still Grasshopper Studio's most successful single player game today. Well, second most successful, because Let It Die sold highly well, and it's getting a sequel/spin-off.

Last edited:
Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Yeah, I'll second Obra Dinn, a great game with almost no replay value. Also

Now, I haven't played Tales of the Borderlands... I don't particularly care about Borderlands or its story (despite how much Borderlands and 2 I've logged playing with pals) but the replayability thing is true of any of the TellTale games. I'd love to play The Walking Dead for the first time again. Then there are games I'd like to play for the first time again... that have tons of replay value. I'm thinking specifically about Fallout New Vegas here. I'm actually playing through NV again now, but I'd love for it to be the first time experiencing the story again.
The other telltale game would count also I suppose. Though as someone who finds the writing in the main Borderlands games, at best, mildly irritating, the telltale series is just a whole different beast altogether. It's all about the writing and the passion they out into the whole endeavour. Thing is, if the memory is gone, how would we know of these games being any good at this point in time enough to seek them out again? The only reason I found out about Tales of the Borderlands was a blink-and-you'll-miss-it J.Sterling review of like episode 4 or something. There's no way I'd stumble across that again with all knowledge of it removed.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
The Witcher franchise. Like, the entire IP.
I first played W2 because I was just in a mood for some RPG fantasy stuff and liked it well enough (not being aware of the two endings or knowing anything about the source material or previous game). Then W3 came out and I loved it so much I read the books, played the first game and watched the TV show.

I would like to forget it all but then experience it in order. First read all the books, then play the 3 games so that my new first time with W3 would have the benefit of all that backstory.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Resident Evil 3 Remake, way too short and should have had the clocktower section.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I guess Undertale, it would be so cool to experience true pacifist again fresh.