What games are you "loud and proud" to be a fan of?

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
SKBPinkie said:
Nothing.

Sorry to be a bit of a party-pooper, but I didn't have anything to do with how those products turned out. And enjoying something I like is not a reason to be proud if it, IMO.

However, in the spirit of this thread - I'd say Monster Hunter.
+1 for the Monster Hunter vote. I also say I'm a good fan of the Ys series (Most of it), but it's too bad few people seem to know about it. All get is "Huh...?" or "... Never heard of it." No love for Ys in the real word T^T

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
Monster Hunter and Armored Core. Both niche games with serious flaws that could be seriously improved reasonably easily, but for some reason, they appeal to me so strongly. I think it's the customisation of armour and weapons in both cases and the game allowing you to play how you want. I could also say Dark Souls but there's no value in being a fan of it, it's an excellent game whose fans adore it and has few shortcomings.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Mass Effect.

Number 2 and 3 in particular.

No, I didn't like the ending either.

Yes, I still love the series regardless of that and other flaws.

Tsurani

Apr 24, 2014
The ending to Mass Effect 3 was pretty good actaully but not the greatest. But video gamers as usual blow things way out of proportion and act like a bunch of children who their parents lied to them about getting them a certain gift for years after making a promise. It's a game and yes the ending could have been better but I'm not losing sleep over it and never have. Great game and one of my top 5 or 10 games of all time.

As far as another game that I'm a "loud and proud" fan of...I would say System Shock 2. That game is lightyears ahead of anything Bioshock and to be honest, imo the only people who like Bioshock over System Shock 2 are new school gamers who like things modernized or people who have never played SS2. I have played that game about a dozen different times in a variety of ways and it never gets old or boring.

The last game I will mention as being the "true" answer to this question however would be Baldur's Gate 2. My absolute favorite game of all time. Everything from the characters to the story to the narration to the art style to the environments to everything was just spot on perfect and nothing to this day has come even close to it.

Eamar

Elite Member
Feb 22, 2012
Country
UK
WoW, I guess. It still has that unfortunate "basement dweller" stereotype attached to it, especially among non-gamers.

DA2 has several massive flaws, but I still really looked forward to playing it each day after work and would tell my colleagues so.

Also, I don't think there's a stigma, but I wear an N7 hoody pretty much constantly so I guess that makes me an "out and proud" Mass Effect fan.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
Final Fantasy XIV. I'll have a loud conversation on a crowded bus about FFXIV any day. I don't care how many people don't know what the Crystal Tower or the Binding Coil of Bahamut are, I'd be happy to tell them about it. Hell I couldn't wait to show my sister in law the fat chocobo [http://www.gamerzines.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/fat_chocobo_mount.png] mount and she's never played a Final Fantasy game in her life. And while my boyfriend doesn't play FFXIV, he's played WoW and LoL before so I tend to do quite a bit of gushing around him when we get on the subject.

Also, Kingdom Hearts. I have very strong feelings about Kingdom Hearts (and they are good feelings!).

WildFire15

Jun 18, 2008
I'd happily shout the praises of City of Heroes/Villains, Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts and F-Zero GX at any chance I get.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I'm not ashamed of any game I like. And I play Dynasty Warriors games, so it's hardly because I only like critical darlings or something. No, I'm in it to have fun and if I have fun, if I'm entertained, I don't care if other people like it.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Eamar said:
WoW, I guess. It still has that unfortunate "basement dweller" stereotype attached to it, especially among non-gamers.
Which baffles me, since it's so huge. Like, it seems that even people outside of gaming play it. I guess they keep it a secret, though.

Guitarmasterx7

Day Pig
Mar 16, 2009
So to clarify you're talking about liking games other people dislike? I find the opposite is true much more often but lets see...

-I've liked every halo so far aside from ODST
-Mirror's Edge is one of my favorite games from last gen
-I like the way the new DMC plays despite liking the old series as well
-I liked the cel shaded prince of persia with Nolan North probably because I had no attachment to the sands trilogy.
-Despite hating Tidus like everyone else did, Final Fantasy X is probably my favorite FF game (and by that I mean only one I liked between that, 7, and 8) and X-2 was actually playable.
-Soul Calibur 3 is, barring smash bros, my favorite fighting game of all time
-Closely followed by Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 3.
-I have an affinity for the open world spiderman games. Granted Spiderman 2 was the only one I would consider great, but I thought all of them were at least better than the average boring shooter of the month.

Nadia Castle

May 21, 2012
Warhammer: 40,000: Space Marine. I may sound like Alan Partridge talking about the Beatles, but it's the game Gears of War could have been. Sod the pretense at emotion and 'realism' and just go balls to the wall FUN! A lot of people didn't seem to notice the superb world design (best translation of the 40k universe, all the technology and computer displays are right out of the 80's), surprisingly solid story for a game about beating orks to death, and a beautiful mash up of Gears and Dynasty Warriors game-play. I'll sing from the rooftops that it deserved to sell a hell of a lot more than it did.

ABLb0y

Aug 27, 2010
It gratifies me to see so many other people who like Dragon Age 2, despite its flaws. I honestly thought I was alone before, but... Thank you.

snappydog

Sep 18, 2010
Dynasty Warriors will always be one of my favourite ways to blow off steam.
Kingdom Hearts has been mentioned, so I'll add that despite not having seen much against it really.
The WWE games hold a bit of a special spot in my heart too. Most of them are nothing special, but I'll be damned if they're not just straight-up fun, especially playing with friends.
EDIT: Better add Mirror's Edge, since I've just seen it mentioned and it's probably my favourite platformer of all time; it's emphatically the only game of its type I've ever been interested in enough to attempt speedruns, multiple playthroughs with handicaps (no weapons etc) and so on.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
I honestly don't quite get this thread. I'm 'loud and proud' about every game I like - why wouldn't I be?

And Final Fantasy VII? Eh? To me that's a bit like saying 'I'm loud and proud about Citizen Kane/Seven Samurai!'. Cuss words incoming in 3, 2, 1... : fuck bullshit stigmas and anyone else's perceptions - just play what you enjoy, and enjoy what you play.

The only game I can even get close, re other people's [meaningless/irrelevant] perceptions might be Mini Ninjas - I thought it was a superbly made and impossibly charming game. But that probably just fits into the box marked 'underrated gems'.
ABLb0y said:
It gratifies me to see so many other people who like Dragon Age 2, despite its flaws. I honestly thought I was alone before, but... Thank you.
Nah, you're not alone by a long shot. Barring a few obvious problems with deja vu dungeons and a shoddy realisation of Kirkwall (hm, it's thematically ominous end-of-days dusk... and there might be a few more vines around the city. wow, BioWare! this really DOES look like the same city but 10yrs later!'), I think it's one of BioWare's best RPG's.

ABLb0y

Aug 27, 2010
Darth Rosenberg said:
I honestly don't quite get this thread. I'm 'loud and proud' about every game I like - why wouldn't I be?

And Final Fantasy VII? Eh? To me that's a bit like saying 'I'm loud and proud about Citizen Kane/Seven Samurai!'. Cuss words incoming in 3, 2, 1... : fuck bullshit stigmas and anyone else's perceptions - just play what you enjoy, and enjoy what you play.

The only game I can even get close, re other people's [meaningless/irrelevant] perceptions might be Mini Ninjas - I thought it was a superbly made and impossibly charming game. But that probably just fits into the box marked 'underrated gems'.
ABLb0y said:
Nah, you're not alone by a long shot. Barring a few obvious problems with deja vu dungeons and a shoddy realisation of Kirkwall (hm, it's thematically ominous end-of-days dusk... and there might be a few more vines around the city. wow, BioWare! this really DOES look like the same city but 10yrs later!'), I think it's one of BioWare's best RPG's.
I couldn't agree more. It introduced some of my favourite characters, like Varric and Merrill.
Also, I actually like Anders, and I feel that people's accusations of him being 'whiny' and constantly going on about the mage's plight would have been accurate... If the mages weren't actually oppressed and he actually had a right to feel bad about it.
Honestly, some people mistake 'feeling any negative emotion at all' for 'whiny', which lead to an awkward moment where Kai Leng (A smug snake who once expressed annoyance that Shepard keeps coming back) as being 'wangsty and emo' based entirely on that one e-mail and his shitty design.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
ABLb0y said:
Also, I actually like Anders, and I feel that people's accusations of him being 'whiny' and constantly going on about the mage's plight would have been accurate... If the mages weren't actually oppressed and he actually had a right to feel bad about it.
Eh, gotta confess that I wanted Hawke to shove her staff/blade through his eye socket the minute he appeared in the game - and that feeling only increased after playing it through once. (I don't see that as a negative of the game, btw. it's just Anders being a complete frikkin' psycho... )
I had him killed the moment the game gave me the option. Everything he did simply justified the perceptions of the most bigoted Templars.

ABLb0y

Aug 27, 2010
Darth Rosenberg said:
ABLb0y said:
Eh, gotta confess that I wanted Hawke to shove her staff/blade through his eye socket the minute he appeared in the game - and that feeling only increased after playing it through once. (I don't see that as a negative of the game, btw. it's just Anders being a complete frikkin' psycho... )
I had him killed the moment the game gave me the option. Everything he did simply justified the perceptions of the most bigoted Templars.
Anders isn't a psycho... Vengeance, however, is. And even so, he's one man compared to all the nice mages you meet (Alain, Bethany etc), so I don't think the likes of Alrik were really justified. I felt the same way about Fenris, to be fair... Until I actually did his companion quest and met his old master...
I have to confess I always romance Anders... I only killed him once and I felt terrible about it.

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
Bioshock.

All of them.

Y'all can fuck yourselves. I won't be told by critics or gamers what to like and why.

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
Samurai Warrior 1&2/Orochi (the only games in the franchises I spent a lot of time with) - Because sometimes you need to crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and you need like 60 different characters to do it with. I was always partial to Kotaro Fuuma, Mitsuhide Akechi, Ina Honda, Da Ji, and Zhu Rong.

Etrian Odyssey 1 - It didn't need a remake and its a lot better than EO4.

Final Fantasy 2 - It is NOT the worst in the series!

Final Fantasy 1 - See above.

Zelda 2 - Ditto

Scarecrow1001

Jun 27, 2011
Like a couple of people before me, I've chosen DMC: Devil May Cry as one I love. As Hack and Slash games go, it worked for me. It was more fun overall to me than Bayonetta for instance.
Also, I loved (and still love) almost every Command & Conquer game there is. I still commonly play Red Alert 2 and Generals, and adore them.
Oh, and Age of Empires III was better than II, just sayin'.