What games are you "loud and proud" to be a fan of?

joshuaayt

Vocal SJW
Nov 15, 2009
I find Prince of Persia: Warrior Within gets a lot of malice, despite playing better than its predecessor in every way.
I can pretty much put any given Final Fantasy, because all of them have their detractors- but I'm very fond of both 2 and 8.
2 had that goofy player progression system where you could punch yourself into better health, and that's awesome.
8 was like 7 but with better models and a cool stat system that ensured that getting your party split up suddenly and tragically wouldn't waste your time, as you'd always have access to a full strength party.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Dragon Age II: Love love love this game!
KotOR II: It's true, I love this more that KotOR, it's the characters!
The Saint's Row Series: Who doesn't want to be Johnny Gat?
The Force Unleashed: A fun game, over powered force user throwing shit about? what not to love?!
The Sims: Relaxation at its best!
The Sims Medieval: Not as good as the sims, but a chilled out way to lose a few hours!

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
remnant_phoenix said:
Prince of Persia (2008) - I loved the art style, the environments, and the ridiculous parkour. I get why people hated it, but liked the story, I liked the characters, and I didn't even mind the story's ending. I even enjoyed the combat; as someone who has studied the art of fencing, I like how the combat felt more like a legitimate sword-dual (this is rare in video games), focusing more on the timing of blocking/parrying/attacking--it was different, interesting, and it worked. I agree that the game overall was way too easy and the lack of a difficulty selector was a head-scratcher, but I still love the game.
Yep, it was fresh, it was colourful and I loved playing it, even if it was very easy.

Evonisia said:
Call of Duty, yo. I even liked the Infinity Ward games before MW2. I will never be ashamed I like this series.
For me it was always my yearly dose of big dumb fun. And there's nothing wrong with that. I loved playing it and I'm not ashamed.

ChorltontheDragon said:
Mass Effect 3 - overall it was a very good game and I didn't think the ending was as bad as people said. I get that it didn't reflect the choices made in the game but it still made me cry (but then I played the whole trilogy of games, one after the other).
It was a good final part of the trilogy. Even though the ending could've been a lot better, that doesn't change the fact that the rest of the game was bloody amazing.

Also:
Final Fantasy XII - Easily my favorite Final Fantasy game. Big open world, fun combat system, no random encounters, good characters, story and music.

Beyond: Two Souls - As a whole this game made no sense whatsoever and was generally pretentious bullshit. But some of the little scenes were fun and made me really enjoy the game.

Edit:
putowtin said:
The Force Unleashed: A fun game, over powered force user throwing shit about? what not to love?!
Damn, forgot about that one. All of my agreement!

Me55enger

Dec 16, 2008
Andy Shandy said:
Remember Me - Sure, it was a bit of a rough diamond, but I loved pretty much every moment of it. Memory Remixes and the soundtrack are particular highlights.
Amen to that.

Also: APB: Reloaded. I don't play and I won't play it anymore but I grew up with that game from back when it was a RTW mess. I love it for what it could have been and for what it may one day be.

diligentscribbler

Oct 22, 2013
Halo trilogy.

while i'll be shooting myself in the foot I'll say most halo fans miss whats so great about Halo.

While the other Bungie Halo titles were ok the trilogy has shaped and influenced the mainstream and indie scene more than every hardcore gamer would ever want to admit

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
Final Fantasy VII - yes the game has aged poorly, but if you can manage to look beyond that you'll find so much more. The main themes of terrorism and nature exploitation are what I would call the facade of the real story. When it comes down to it the entirety of the story of FF VII deals with the loss of something/someone once loved.
Vincent lost Lucrecia, Cloud lost his identity, Tifa lost her town, Barret lost his friends and family, Cid lost his dreams, Yuffie lost her country, Red XIII lost his parents and lived a lie, Django lost his son and honor, Sephiroth lost his identity and grasp on reality, Aerith lsot her mother, and essentially everyone in this world has lost sometihng and has been forced to move on without it and when they finally get a chance at redemption it's only a sour redemption because it comes at the cost of another lost. Even you as the player lose Aerith and your one chance at redemption by killing the man that embodied Jenova is a sour victory, sure you managed to kill Sephiroth and avenge Aerith's death but you still loose Midgard and the millions of people that didn't evacuate.
I could go on and go into a full explanation of all the other themes the game touches, but this is the main one and is one the many reasons why I love this game.

and yes the writer of the story did this theme of lost on purpose because he had recently lost his mother and wanted to explore the things he felt further

Raku-Gosha

Apr 21, 2014
SO this is the thread where we go to reveal to our peers how bad our tastes in games really are (if we're following meta critic and general opinion on what constitutes a "good" game)

Well the wrong answers would be hentai games and the like. Just spare us the details guys.

The right answer would be pulpy niche titles like basically all of Suda51. That's my answer.
NO More Heroes 1-2, Lollipop Chainsaw, Shadows of the Damned, Killer is Dead, etc he makes trashy games and I enjoy them. Not sure I'd put that on a T-shirt though.

the_great_cessation

Nov 29, 2011
L.A. Noire and Brutal Legend.

Both these games seem to get a lot of scorn from the gaming community due to being advertised in a way that played down their more divisive gameplay mechanics. In the case of LA Noire, I feel a lot of the initial criticism came from it not falling into the sandbox formula that Rockstar had been famed for up to this point while Brutal Legend found itself victim to being a weird RTS/Action hybrid that was marketed as a hack and slash. However, I adore both these games and they stand as two of my favorite games of not just Gen 7 but of all time, thanks to their inventive gameplay systems, distinct aesthetics and great writing.