What games/enemies scared you as a kid?

Uncreative

Oct 29, 2009
Quiet Stranger said:
Mortons4ck said:
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time's Bottom of the Well and Shadow Temple levels.
I think i can safely say that any kid who played LoZ:OoT was scared shitless by the well
Pimppeter2 said:
The Bone guys in Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time that showed up if you ever roamed the open fields at night.
I agree with all the above.

Iwata

Feb 25, 2010
OOh, forgot Piggsy from Manhunt. Now, fighting that guy did cause a scare.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
silent hill and silent hill 3, in the original silent hill I hit just the right parts at just the right time to freak the hell out of myself, like I was playing at like 11 at night when I went to the school and saw the hell world for the first time, I couldnt leave my room to pee

Zosephine

Dec 4, 2008
I could not even play Myst in broad daylight. There was always the potential for something to jump out at you (though nothing ever did), and some of the sound effects freaked me right the hell out.

Yes, I was (and still am) a pretty wimpy person. Actually, I think the ship level from Myst caused my irrational fear of klaxon alarms and my dislike of first-person POV games...

I like peripheral vision, thank you.

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
A lot of enemies scared me in Ocarina of Time, including Gohma and the ReDeads. But forget then; the Waterwraith from Pikmin 2 still scares me now. Fucking Submerged Castle...

OutcastBOS

Elite Member
Sep 20, 2009
FlshrImp said:
hahaha, dingodile scared the crap outta me for no reason whatsoever. always called my brother down to finish him for me while i hid behind a chair.
http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/crashban/images/1/1c/Dingodile_5.jpg
LOOK AT IT!!

trumie44

Feb 24, 2010
Since everyone is saying LoZ: Ocarina of Time and the Redeads, I'll go with a way out there game. It was for the short lived 3DO system. The game was called Escape From Monster Manor.

It had the same game engine as Doom and Wolfenstein, and it was freaky. I could barely play it and I had to have my cousin there with me and we took turns getting freaked out by the ghosts and skeletons jumping out at us.

War Pony

Feb 19, 2010
Mortons4ck said:
Quiet Stranger said:
Mortons4ck said:
I think i can safely say that any kid who played LoZ:OoT was scared shitless by the well
Seriously, the Dead Hands has got to be the creepiest enemy design of all time. The low-poly count just added to the deformity and, by extension, the horror.
I can second, third or fourth this and the quote in the quote and the quote second quoted. I couldn't play through anyplace with ReDead. The first time I replayed, I had to get a neighbor kid (peer) to beat the well for me. And the Forest Temple, pretty much. The Shadow Temple scared me shitless, and the game went untouched until I dusted off the N64 replayed it a good while later.

Well, that while later, I could just BARELY beat the well, but Dead Hand... I couldn't sleep right for a solid two weeks. I just went in and nicked the Lens, saved, restarted, exited. The creepy had other effects on me, because I stalled when it came to the Forest Temple. When it came to the Shadow Temple, I took the Hover Boots and made a beeline for the Spirit Temple. I eventually beat the Shadow Temple, but only in daylight and someone in the room with me. And after I did every sidequest conceivable. To stall.

But then comes Windwaker later, and I still have issues going into the basement under the cabana. Because of the ReDead. And the way they screamed.

Yes, I am quite the chickenshit.

Hiphophippo

Nov 5, 2009
I don't think there was any. Fatal Frame is probably the closest a game has actually come to scaring me though. Scary games or movies just don't scare me, but I love the tension of them.

Side note, when I was younger I couldn't watch Peewee's big adventure because of the scene with the trucker. It terrified me.

Mortons4ck

Jan 12, 2010
War Pony said:
Mortons4ck said:
Quiet Stranger said:
Mortons4ck said:
Seriously, the Dead Hands has got to be the creepiest enemy design of all time. The low-poly count just added to the deformity and, by extension, the horror.
I can second, third or fourth this and the quote in the quote and the quote second quoted. I couldn't play through anyplace with ReDead. The first time I replayed, I had to get a neighbor kid (peer) to beat the well for me. And the Forest Temple, pretty much. The Shadow Temple scared me shitless, and the game went untouched until I dusted off the N64 replayed it a good while later.

Well, that while later, I could just BARELY beat the well, but Dead Hand... I couldn't sleep right for a solid two weeks. I just went in and nicked the Lens, saved, restarted, exited. The creepy had other effects on me, because I stalled when it came to the Forest Temple. When it came to the Shadow Temple, I took the Hover Boots and made a beeline for the Spirit Temple. I eventually beat the Shadow Temple, but only in daylight and someone in the room with me. And after I did every sidequest conceivable. To stall.

But then comes Windwaker later, and I still have issues going into the basement under the cabana. Because of the ReDead. And the way they screamed.
The ReDead's were scary too, but I think that had to do with the fact that they could paralyze you, drain your life, and were hard to kill (at least as child link), and there wasn't anything you could do about it. That had to do mostly with power dichotomy and was partially alleviated by their silly dancing in Majora's Mask.

Dead Hand, however, was a sin against nature.

Robert632

May 11, 2009
I was absoulutly frightened of aBanjo kazooie/tooie, mainly because of the witch.

Blindrooster

Jul 13, 2009
Pimppeter2 said:
The Bone guys in Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time that showed up if you ever roamed the open fields at night.
I had to have a friend around when doing that. good times.

CharlesA

Nov 8, 2009
Those goddamn dogs that jumped out the windows in Resident Evil(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfOa-EEv-8s).

Also, the freaky transformed rat in Parasite Eve (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNL8b6Sm3SE)and the T-Rex in Jurassic Park (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehvbcqC_560).

The Heik

King of the Nael
Oct 12, 2008
Quiet Stranger said:
So I have been watching video walk throughs of games I (and maybe you) use to play as a kid, and I started thinking, just how much some of the games scared the CRAP right out of me, what about you guys? What scared you as a kid (video game wise)
The Marionettes at the start of Devil May Cry. This was mainly because it was my first M rated game (at age 11 the worst I had done was blasting away droid fighters in Star Wars Jedi Starfighter) but those things were downright scary. I actually had my dad hide the thing for a few years until I got more used to more mature games.

MONSTERheart

Aug 17, 2009
Your just skiing along, acting all cool when suddenly this ************ comes out of nowhere.

Horrifying.

http://enigma01.com/images/skifree-monster.gif

Dr. Dice Lord

Feb 4, 2010
Its an old game, but Dark Forces, the third level. The one with the sewer monsters and the probe droids... something about that place always freaked me out. I had to sprint through the whole thing.

evilartist

Nov 9, 2009
Doom, the moment I met the Barons of Hell. Their battle cry scared the shit out of my 10-year-old self.

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, when I entered the Dark World for the first time (on Death Mountain, outside the Tower of Hera/Ganon's Tower). The music and the atmosphere were so unsettling, I actually had nightmares about it.