What good JRPGs are there for the PS3?

Battleaxx90

Jul 8, 2011
I might be getting myself a PS3 soon, and since the humble JRPG is my favourite genre of game, I'd like to know which ones I should get. Sooooo... any suggestions?

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
I admit I haven't seen many that have interested me terribly.
Seems like all the JRPGs I had the most fun with were on PS2.

If you like the Tales games, Tales of Graces just came out on PS3.
I haven't tried it but....well even when Tales games are at their worst, they are still pretty fun, so I can't see how it would be horribly unplayable.

Powereaver

Apr 25, 2010
Tales of Graces F, Valkyria Chronicles.. sure its Japanese Strategy but still.. it kinda counts... Eternal Sonata is worth a go on the ps3 too.. then besides that you got all the Atelier games.. Totori, Meruru and so on.. Hyperdimension Neptunia is bad but bearable im told but Mk2 is better maybe also the Ar Tonelico games?

Dr.Susse

Lv.1 NPC
Apr 17, 2009
piinyouri said:
I admit I haven't seen many that have interested me terribly.
Seems like all the JRPGs I had the most fun with were on PS2.

If you like the Tales games, Tales of Graces just came out on PS3.
I haven't tried it but....well even when Tales games are at their worst, they are still pretty fun, so I can't see how it would be horribly unplayable.
Yep Tales of Graces is great.
Quick and fun battle system and good story.

Launcelot111

Jan 19, 2012
Disgaea 4 is a lot of fun. It's more strategy than a traditional RPG but still a blast.

Star Ocean: The Last Story is thoroughly adequate, sort of a poor man's Tales game but good for a JRPG fix.

I've heard good things about Resonance of Fate, it looks interesting but I haven't tried it so I can't really say much more.

Beyond that, all the ones mentioned in earlier posts plus Final Fantasy XIII/XIII-2 are all the ones I know about. Of course, there's all the downloadable PS1 RPGs plus Persona 3 FES off the PS2

Tiswas

Jun 9, 2010
Final Fanta....Nier.

But yeah. Tales of Graces is awesome. Resoonance of Fate once you get into it too.

nobodysomebody

Jun 30, 2011
Tales of Graces F came out not too long ago, and I'm pretty sure a majority of new Tales games are going to be on PS3. Final Fantasy 13/13-2 are good, at least I thought they were. Theres a TON of downloadable ones. Like every playstation 1 final fantasy game, grandia, chrono cross, etc. As for ps2 games, there aren't that many to choose from, but Persona 3:FES is on there, and thats a great game. Along with all that, theres the Disgaea series too.
Then Demons Souls is really fun. Its not really a JRPG in the traditional sense of the term, but it is sooo fun, same with Dark Souls. I like playing that on ps3

DigitalAtlas

Mar 31, 2011
Here ya go:

>Star Ocean: The Last Hope
>Final Fantasy XIII (if you liked FFX, you'll like this, otherwise steer clear)
>Final Fantasy XIII-2 aka Better Game: The Game
>Tales of Graces f
>Valkyria Chronicles
>Eternal Sonata

There you go. Every JRPG on PS3 with some sort of quality.

Also, check out the PSN for some other greats like Chrono Cross and Xenogears! Two of the best JRPGS EVVVVEEERRRR made!

Battleaxx90

Jul 8, 2011
Thanks for the help, guys!

Anydangway, new question. A lot of people have mentioned Tales of Graces, but I haven't played any of the other games in the series. Are they necessary to enjoy this one? Also, some people have been putting an F on the end of the title and some haven't. Is there any reason for this?

Zetta thanks to everybody here, BTW. I might not be getting a PS3 for a while, but this thread has been useful neverthless. Props to all of ya!

DigitalAtlas

Mar 31, 2011
Battleaxx90 said:
Thanks for the help, guys!

Anydangway, new question. A lot of people have mentioned Tales of Graces, but I haven't played any of the other games in the series. Are they necessary to enjoy this one? Also, some people have been putting an F on the end of the title and some haven't. Is there any reason for this?

Zetta thanks to everybody here, BTW. I might not be getting a PS3 for a while, but this thread has been useful neverthless. Props to all of ya!
Tales of Grace is for Wii. Tales of Grace f is the remake for PS3. There's your difference :p And all the Tales games are completely unrelated, much like every Final Fantasy game.

Refer back to my post for more recs.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
Resonance of Fate was the first one that came to my mind. All the hallmarks of a good JRPG with flashy strategic combat that plays out like it's from a John Woo movie.

DigitalAtlas

Mar 31, 2011
GethBall said:
Well, you could wait for Final Fantasy Versus 13 to come out...... if it comes out.
Please stick to real titles and not games that were a fantasy simultaneously dreamt by JRPG fans across the world that we all remember way more than most dreams.

Jan 13, 2012
DigitalAtlas said:
GethBall said:
Well, you could wait for Final Fantasy Versus 13 to come out...... if it comes out.
Please stick to real titles and not games that were a fantasy simultaneously dreamt by JRPG fans across the world that we all remember way more than most dreams.
Maybe one day, if we all dream hard enough, it'll come into existence.

A man can dream.

Memor-X

Oct 3, 2010
Zone of (the) Enders HD (Z.O.E) - remake of the original, it's coming out soon if not now in which case i should really order it in huh?, haven't played the original but read up on it after getting themed cards in Metal Gear Ac!d

White Knight Chronicles - Kick ass battle system if not slightly slow, i would actually suggest getting White Knight Chronicles II since it has the previous game in it but with an improved system, WKCI the battle system was slow and the side missions was set up so to pass most of them you had to go online since you couldn't solo them with the game's party, WKCII the Battle System is faster, the Knights run now instead of slowly strafe and now they have attacks which don't cost MP which comes in handy in those Boss Battles where your forced to fight as one and they all come with a healing spell which adds to the aid, the missions can be soloed using the Game Party which is useful for Gridning since at like Level 50 you stop gainign EXP from enemies in the game and you have to do the side missions to take on tougher enemies, also in WKCII, your Avatar gets his own Knight which you can customize the look of (Slightly), WKCII also forces you to fight against giant enemies in normal battles like when some Magi when you kill them turn into Gigas, there is also a whole 2 Arcs in the story where you fight without any Knights to knowing how to take down giant enemies quickly is vital (mastering your magic use comes in handy)

Star Ocean: The Last Hope - good story and a prequel to the entire series, not sure how much it connects to the series, strange thing is as you progress you get character background unlocked and it seems to hint that Lym is Immortal and some things on Roak seem to relate to a later game and there is talk about a demon world despite the fact that apart from how Cerberus shows up there is never any hint to it

Disgaea 4 - Grindy Turn Based strategy, like Final Fantasy Tactics in a sense, i say grindy because he max level is like 9999 and i got one of my characters to level 150+ i still aint strong enough to get past one of the battles cause the enemies get like 20,000+ HP and 7000+ attack.....its not a bad thing, if you find the game too easy you can increase the enemies levels to make things harder and there are random dungeons in the forms of the Item and Char worlds, funny ass story, and a bit weird at points, especially when the girls go to start talking among themselves.......the downside is that the insanely large update for the game, almost 3GB, and you'll need that for any Online content which also includes the added story DLC and some character unlocks, there is also Disgaea 3 and as far as i know, it unrelated to Disgaea 4 apart from some characters making an appearance as DLC...and Flonne, seems like she is in all of them, Disgaea 4 seems to be later on since from what i read Flonne was never an Arch-Angel in the previous games

Valkyria Chronicles - Military Strategy with RPG elements which come from when you clear a mission you gain EXP based on the number of soldiers and tanks you taken down and the rank you got which you spend on the soldier types to level up all characters of that type and the cash go towards buying weapon and tank upgrades, it's considered JRPG because of the Anime style graphics it uses, good story line, word of advice, don't turn your tank's back to the enemy, since you have one tank and it's game over if it gets destroyed, it is very likely that if an enemy tank or Lancer attacks your take from behind it'll be destroyed in one shot that's to the obvious weak point, the enemy seems to get alot of sheep shots, had a tank once kill me from down the other end of the city

Final Fantasy XIII - i like the story in it but there are some flaws with the battle system like if the battle party leader dies it's game over no matter who else is alive, i'd get it for the sake of the story and seeing and entire world fail to kill 5 people (Fang doesn't count, she was with Cid and wasn't hunted like everyone else)

Final Fantasy XIII-2 - battle system is better but the story is kinda fragmented, each chapter is almost a separate story in itself apart from the last 2 chapters but kick ass final boss, if your not a hard core Final Fantasy fan then i would just suggest to get this only to know what leads up to Final Fantasy XIII-3 cause i can't see a expansion DLC coming out for XIII-2 and the improvements to the mechanics of the game is an obvious sign that Square is learning and improving so XIII-3 might have better mechanics still (though i think that they should just take the ADB system from XII and make it a bit faster and more fluid with attacks)

GethBall said:
it ain't coming out as the licences to the name ran out last i head, either that or the name is changed and there's been no leaks as to the new name (Final Fantasy Agito XIII was renamed to Final Fantasy Type-0).....proably only reference you'll get to Versus is from Dissidia Bonus Avatars where you can get Agito and Versus ones, only like one or two and they only exist in Dissida Duodecim because you can import your unlocks from the previous game

the majority of JRPGs were released on PS2 and any modern ones seem to be released on Wii or PSP/Vita, unless you have a first generation PS3 then naming them doesn't count as JRPGs for the PS3 since 2nd gen had PS2 Emulation removed (at least in PAL, not sure with NTSC consoles) and unless they make HD remakes of some PS2 ones (like Grandia 2, .hack, Xenosaga, Shin Megami Tensai: Persona) instead of making them for PSP/Vita or Wii/U, alot of Disgaea games were remade for the PSP and Shin Megami Tensai: Persona 1 (and 3 i think) is on PSP with Shin Megami Tensai: Persona 2 slated for release for PSVita later this year so if you just looking for JRPGs to play i suggest getting a PSP (and Vita ready) and a Wii (the makers of Disgaea released a bunch of games on the Wii (or where they remakes), each with a unique system), since the PSP alone had quite a few (Disgaea remakes (2 + Visual Novel), Fate/Extra and Fate/Extra CCC, Orge Tactics, Dissidia, Shin Megami Tensai: Persona, a bunch of Visual Novels with RPG Elements which unofficial English patches)

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
Eternal Sonata is pretty good, if you can get pass it's sickly sweetness though.

Also, if you are fan of classical music, then you might get a real kick out of it, as the game is wrapped around Chopin's life.

Chungus

The memes, Jack!
Mar 25, 2012
Maybe try White Knight Cronicles.
The story is cliché and the music repettetive, but I still had loads o' fun with it.