What happened to Caramel Frappe?

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Kaleion said:
Last time I spoke with him he was really disillusioned with the community and clearly having been the community manager caused him a lot of stress to the point that he stopped interacting with the community, I think he was just done with this place which is a shame because he was a really nice guy but now you know the consequences of being such huge jerks.
That was pretty much the sense I got with my conversations with him. Too much "CHRIST Frappe, why haven't you fixed X yet?!" "GOD'S SAKE Frappe you don't have the ability to solve Y, WHY HAVEN'T YOU SOLVED Y?!" "HEY FRAPPE YOU FUCK I keep reminding you why I think you're a screw up and hounding you like an ungrateful jackass, so why aren't you doing MORE FOR US?!" and more nonsense like that. Obviously I'm exaggerating for effect, but all of those are things that happened in some format with a few community members. I repeated often that Frappe was the only one who seemed to care enough to try and turn things around, and yet many people kept kicking him down and being extremely unhelpful. No wonder he left.

There were a lot who supported him, and that's awesome. But there was an equal amount of unbelievably ungrateful frustration spewing people that probably made that job suck. Frappe hid away in silence to avoid all of it. I've seen the "he should be prepared for that in his position, if he can't handle it he's not suited for it" argument, and there's some validity to it. But if those naysayers just calmed down and tried being helpful instead of scrutinizing, then we might still have our community manager, someone who cared a lot about this place. But nope, had to ruin it. Thanks guys.

Edit: Mismanagement and lack of help from Defy also contributed, I know that. My focus here is just what I gathered from my conversations from Frappe about him trying to hide from all the people giving him shit. I know there's more to it

KissingSunlight

Molotov Cocktails, Anyone?
Jul 3, 2013
The Escapist Forums have always been full of self-righteous, trolling, passive-aggressive, harassing, toxic posters. Yeah, sure. Blame the Wild West forum for driving people away. You know. The only place on The Escapist where people can stand up against these bullies without getting moderated.

Thanks for playing.

Oct 22, 2011
Silentpony said:
The Wild West was a mistake. Always was, always will be. Its a drag on the site and the users. The sooner its closed for good, the better.
Wild West is a symptom, not a cause.
Fischgopf said:
Probably gave up. This place is beyond saving anyway.
Yep. It's a sisyphus work to try bring a fresh breeze of life into an abandoned site, with a fleeing content creators/userbase, that's overrun with adbots.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Sad to see Frappe go, he was one of the people who actually cared.
But one thing that really miffs me is this wiping of people who leave. But myself and others have asked for this and just get told we can go and edit our comments (which lets face it, for thousands of posts this is absurdly time consuming).

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
MrCalavera said:
Silentpony said:
The Wild West was a mistake. Always was, always will be. Its a drag on the site and the users. The sooner its closed for good, the better.
Wild West is a symptom, not a cause.
Most people don't revel in their cancer and think it makes the site fun and worthwhile. Most sites don't need to appeal to the 4chan crowd with \b lite

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Sean Hollyman said:
I used to be a regular here, made friends with quite a few people, then did some stupid shit and got myself banned. Only recently just came back because I remembered liking it here. Caramel was one of the few people I remember, alongside Daystar Clarion and Redlin.
Are they still around?

Saelune said:
Redlin5 said:
Silentpony said:
Kaleion said:
Last time I spoke with him he was really disillusioned with the community and clearly having been the community manager caused him a lot of stress to the point that he stopped interacting with the community, I think he was just done with this place which is a shame because he was a really nice guy but now you know the consequences of being such huge jerks.
And yet we voted to keep it.
Who is we?

We is not plenty of people outside the WW, nor is we even a majority of the WW, based on the WW poll that was fairly close. (I wasnt honestly expecting the anti-WW option to win, but it was a slimmer margin than I think many expected)
What is this Wild West thing?
A pubclub member only 'no rules (mostly)' forum that non-pubclub members cant even see.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Caramel spent a lot of time asking us to step up and fight for the community. Every single time, the community said no.

Everyone says they want this community but no one will lift a finger to save it.

If your still listening, thanks Caramel for all your efforts

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Silentpony said:
Saelune said:
Redlin5 said:
Silentpony said:
Kaleion said:
Who is we?

We is not plenty of people outside the WW, nor is we even a majority of the WW, based on the WW poll that was fairly close. (I wasnt honestly expecting the anti-WW option to win, but it was a slimmer margin than I think many expected)
And people voted for Donald Trump. Does that make it the right decision?
And what is the Wild West if not the Donald Trump of the Escapist? Loud, obnoxious, unfiltered, deliberately antagonistic and toxic and playing by a completely new set of rules most users find disgusting and damaging.

But at least you guys can post shitty memes, eh?
I assume you're using my post as a jumping off point, considering I am on your side here.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
trunkage said:
Caramel spent a lot of time asking us to step up and fight for the community. Every single time, the community said no.

Everyone says they want this community but no one will lift a finger to save it.

...Except we're sitting blind here. I didnt want to bring up negativity against Frappe here but...

Frappe promised alot and delivered little. And when they failed to deliver, ran and hid from us without saying anything.

Sorry if this is a dick thing to say but...Frappe is kinda hitting par for the course with this. (Thats not to say that much of the rest of those in power of The Escapist didnt all do it first, Frappe is just imitating them I suppose)

Hell, more mods keep popping up suddenly and unannounced. Thankfully I think Gethsemani is a swell person, but suddenly they are a blue-named mod too?

You criticize the community for not wanting to help, but most of us have our hands tied and our eyes covered.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Saelune said:
Silentpony said:
Saelune said:
Redlin5 said:
Silentpony said:
Kaleion said:
Who is we?

And people voted for Donald Trump. Does that make it the right decision?
And what is the Wild West if not the Donald Trump of the Escapist? Loud, obnoxious, unfiltered, deliberately antagonistic and toxic and playing by a completely new set of rules most users find disgusting and damaging.

But at least you guys can post shitty memes, eh?
I assume you're using my post as a jumping off point, considering I am on your side here.
Yes. I am emphasizing what you said.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Rednog said:
Sad to see Frappe go, he was one of the people who actually cared.
But one thing that really miffs me is this wiping of people who leave. But myself and others have asked for this and just get told we can go and edit our comments (which lets face it, for thousands of posts this is absurdly time consuming).
He used his access to do it, something the mods have no ability to.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Maybe someone offered him a slightly less thankless task, like picking up dogshit from other people's dogs, or being the cup in 2 girls 1 cup (which, I have to say, I haven't seen and refuse to read a description of, so my reference may be incorrect).

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Saelune said:
Frappe promised alot and delivered little. And when they failed to deliver, ran and hid from us without saying anything.
Yep. This.

I copped a bit of hate for saying it, but I do believe some of the onus needs to fall on CF for making those promises in the first place and stringing everyone along for as long as he did.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
trunkage said:
Toxicity aside, WTF are we supposed to do? The mods have no say in how this site's run. Even the community manager has little say in how this site's run.

And it's nobody's fault. (Except Defy. Fuck you, Defy.) It's just how things are.

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Aug 24, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
Ain't no party like a 'Fuck Defy' party and the 'Fuck Defy' party don't stop!

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
IceForce said:
I copped a bit of hate for saying it, but I do believe some of the onus needs to fall on CF for making those promises in the first place and stringing everyone along for as long as he did.
Wasn't his fault. Defy didn't do what they told him they were gonna do. So no, that's not fair to say. What, you think CF just wanted to sit on his ass too and watch a site he loved crumble into nothing? He probably loved The Escapist more than any of us. And I can say that too because he put his time and even some of his rep on the line for it.

Sassafrass said:
Ain't no party like a 'Fuck Defy' party and the 'Fuck Defy' party don't stop!
*meanwhile at Defy Media HQ*

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
KissingSunlight said:
The Escapist Forums have always been full of self-righteous, trolling, passive-aggressive, harassing, toxic posters. Yeah, sure. Blame the Wild West forum for driving people away. You know. The only place on The Escapist where people can stand up against these bullies without getting moderated.

Thanks for playing.
I find it funny when people think this is a bad place for bullying. Other then *those* day in 2014, there isn't that many insults compared to the rest of the internet. But then to claim that WW has done anything to stop bullying? It amplifies it. Those same posters are there, doing their thing. Maybe you get to speak, which I assume is the actual issue. But, like everyone here needs to learn, just because you said something, doesn't mean you win an argument.

Saelune said:
trunkage said:

...Except we're sitting blind here. I didnt want to bring up negativity against Frappe here but...

Sorry if this is a dick thing to say but...Frappe is kinda hitting par for the course with this. (Thats not to say that much of the rest of those in power of The Escapist didnt all do it first, Frappe is just imitating them I suppose)

Hell, more mods keep popping up suddenly and unannounced. Thankfully I think Gethsemani is a swell person, but suddenly they are a blue-named mod too?

You criticize the community for not wanting to help, but most of us have our hands tied and our eyes covered.
I'd said that Frappe didn't deliver much either. They had way more ideas than anyone else on the team but nothing came to fruition. I don't think it was Frappe's follow through. I think it was their basic underlying assumption. Frappe assumed there would be people like them that wanted to fight this site. That was a false assumption and thus Caramel was always going to fail.

Now, blind? Maybe. I need to hear about this more to understand your point