What happened to Caramel Frappe?

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
Fischgopf said:
You know that a lot people would think this place is very much right leaning? Sargon declared the site as bastion that supported GG based on Tito's and the mod reaction to it.
And some people think the Earth is flat. Those that consider this place right leaning are the kind of people that would jump at their shadow if it fell to their right.

And considering that GG was neither right nor left as a whole and GG is also almost 4 years ago when this site had signficantly more active Users, I don't see how it is relevant.
The simple truth is that the Escapist is not the left leaning site it once was, back in the early 10's. Today there's a pretty even split between right leaning and left leaning people on the Escapist, which is why both sides feel as if theirs is in the minority. The whole GG debacle moved the political balance on the Escapist quite a bit to the right, which is no doubt why people like Sargon feel that this is a bastion for his supporters.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I sure hope if I ever decide to leave it won't result in a thread like this that airs out all my dirty laundry before devolving into the political leanings of the site.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Fischgopf said:
trunkage said:
Fischgopf said:
So... the way to create an echo chamber is to NOT to choose left or right? Does that mean to stop an echo chamber is to choose left or right?
You misinterprwt my post. I mean the exact opposite.
I know, I point it out because you misinterpreted my meaning. I thought pointing this out would help, but apparently I have to state it categorically. Reread my post.

You know that a lot people would think this place is very much right leaning? Sargon declared the site as bastion that supported GG based on Tito's and the mod reaction to it.
And some people think the Earth is flat. Those that consider this place right leaning are the kind of people that would jump at their shadow if it fell to their right.

And considering that GG was neither right nor left as a whole and GG is also almost 4 years ago when this site had signficantly more active Users, I don't see how it is relevant.
I would say the exact same about you. Also, if we are going to talk about how GG was only about game journalism, I'm going to point out that some people on GG only focused on game journalism. And I wouldn't call it a majority. You personally might have been one of those, but that wasn't the whole range of ideologies mixed up in GG.

I hated the whole GG. Tried to stay neutral. It was just a bunch of ideologues from both sides who had axes to grind. It ended being nothing about game journalism. It didn't really improve it either. Both sides were an utter failure

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Canadamus Prime said:
I sure hope if I ever decide to leave it won't result in a thread like this that airs out all my dirty laundry before devolving into the political leanings of the site.
It seems like every thread we have that involves someone leaving it devolves into this, as well as a GG ***** fit. It's like some people can't help themselves from bringing it up and fighting about it when it's supposed to be done and dealt with

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I remember flat-out telling him he shouldn't work for free, no mater how much he loved the site. Defy took advantage of his passion, and I think the job probably soured that passion, as well as his legacy among the remnants of this community.

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
Wintermute said:
I'm awful with names. Was he that one guy who's really into anime and women with gigantic tits?
Monstergirls, specifically Lamia which is a type of half human half snake. If I remember the origins (greek... Maybe?) They were entirely female and captured male humans for husbands.

He liked a pink haired anime one, with average hooters.

Wintermute_v1legacy

Mar 16, 2012
Marik2 said:
Wintermute said:
I'm awful with names. Was he that one guy who's really into anime and women with gigantic tits?
So... most guys here?
Maybe. But I remember the guy posting some threads here. With some pictures of his favorite anime girls. Maybe I'm imagining the big tits, now I'm not sure.

Caramel Frappe

Legacy
Dec 10, 2010
California
Country
United States
Hey guys, didn't think anyone would notice but ... that was a bit silly of me to assume. I could try to lie and make excuses, but I won't. I'm just going to give you the absolute truth because you guys deserve at least that from me.

[HEADING=3]Question 1: Why did you leave us, Frappe?[/HEADING]

Because my life isn't exactly peachy right now. Sure, it's not bad and I consider myself lucky for a lot of things that I do have ... but at the current moment, it's not smooth. My real life job is stacking hours onto me, where I only get 1 day off and i'm working over 50+ hours to pay for bills. I live with my parents, so it's not too difficult, but here in California- things are expensive. As much as I would of loved continuing to try helping the website, i'm too drained. Had to leave an RP I was in, and abandon a few projects, just to make sure I didn't shut down on anyone. So case in point, my job is really demanding for my attention.

[HEADING=3]Question 2: Why didn't you live up to your promises, Frappe?[/HEADING]

I admit, some things were my fault. I shouldn't of gotten people's hopes up (especially my own) in fixing the website. I merely assumed with my power and access to the control panel, I could keep this place up. Sadly, I am not a tech expert and to have actual people like Kross here ... would require money. No one is usually willing to work for free, and Defy refused my numerous e-mails and calls (yes, phone calls) to allow me in saving this website. If they allowed me full control of the panel and allowed me to edit / change things, surely this website would have protection against the bots along with functional commands. Again, sadly, I do not have that access and despite trying everything I could ... I failed my community. I promised you guys that I would solve the problems, but I only left you all in the dark. It would be like going up to your child and saying Santa isn't bringing any presents this Christmas, because in truth, you couldn't afford those presents. That was the gut punch I felt when I couldn't do anything to help you guys. I'm sorry.

[HEADING=3]Question 3: Does this mean we'll never see you again, Frappe?[/HEADING]

Maybe not here, on The Escapist ... however, I do hold other accounts on multiple websites. If you want to befriend me or stay in touch for whatever reason, I do have a Steam [http://steamcommunity.com/id/CaramelFrappe/] account with the same username. I also play on the Xbox One and PS4, with an online membership (you'll have to PM me if you want my username for those). I even have a Discord account (The Dark Soul#3686) if you guys want to hit me up there. While I am messaged daily by numerous people, sometimes I stay quiet because i'm just trying to enjoy my time alone. Odd thing to say, but sometimes isolation is what brings me peace, sometimes.

[HEADING=3]Question 4: So are the rumors about you true, Frappe?[/HEADING]

Depends, most likely they are. One rumor about me is that I was greedy for badges, and only acted kind in order to get what I wanted. Not going to lie like I said, for my original intent was to collect as many Escapist badges as possible. When I first joined The Escapist, I loved the design + layout of this place. The badges caught my attention, and noticed how people treated one another depending on their reputation. I did nearly everything I could to get my hands on those, even if it meant I had to sometimes kiss @$$ for it. Did I act kind to get what I wanted? Yes and no, for in real life ... i'm pretty nice. I do have manners, and I try to be selfless. I just kicked it up a notch on here to stand out. People called me out on it, and while I wanted to bite their heads off ... it wasn't professional. It wasn't good to snap for it would ruin my reputation, so I had to keep calm at all times.

Didn't always work, but I managed to succeed for the most part. Overtime, I realized my behavior was kind of, disgusting. After having all the best badges, I didn't feel as great anymore. With such a big reputation, I noticed people looked up to me and kept complimenting me. Wanting to actually become a better person, I tried taking criticism to heart and changing myself. Wasn't easy, it never is ... but in time, I was accepted even by those who weren't fond of me and I became attached to this place not because of the badges, but because of the people- you guys. I stayed and tried to make it better because I wanted everyone to enjoy it just as much as I did.

[HEADING=3]Question 5: Did you read any of our posts in this thread, Frappe?[/HEADING]

Every single post, yes. Seeing how people remember me for the good and bad bits, makes me happy. It's kind of like experiencing nostalgia, with how many years passed by. While it was, pretty pathetic of me to simply slip into the shadows without saying goodbye to anyone, I didn't want to make a scene. So many have already declared the website doomed, that I didn't want to add fuel to the fire. At the same time, I needed to focus on my life and not get distracted with trying to make projects work when I can't even code the darn articles properly. With that said, you guys also have my apology for not even telling any of you farewell.

[HEADING=3]Question 6: I've got things to say / ask you, Frappe![/HEADING]

Go right ahead. I won't hide or lie about anything ... ask if you insist. I'll be here, reading whatever else you guys have to say. Just wanted to thank you all again for making my time here well spent, and I appreciate you guys a lot. Very much so, actually, because this website helped me through some rough times. Hopefully, you guys are getting through without much problem as well.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Wintermute said:
Maybe. But I remember the guy posting some threads here. With some pictures of his favorite anime girls. Maybe I'm imagining the big tits, now I'm not sure.
You mean Paragon something.

(Edit: No offence to the guy who's name I can't recall, I'm six sheets to the wind because I'm getting my first day off since Boxing day.)

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Would it be outrageous to suggest people are taking this far too seriously?

Mar 26, 2008
Marik2 said:
Our summoning ritual worked.
*drops chicken and black candles* err... yeah, so it did.

Looks like I was on the right track about his offline life putting a lot of stress on him, so something had to give. I'd make the exact same choices to be honest. Nice of him to acknowledge the thread.

Caramel Frappe said:
Odd thing to say, but sometimes isolation is what brings me peace, sometimes.
Not odd at all. I've often felt the same way. I hope it does bring you peace.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Caramel Frappe said:
Hey guys, didn't think anyone would notice but ... that was a bit silly of me to assume. I could try to lie and make excuses, but I won't. I'm just going to give you the absolute truth because you guys deserve at least that from me.

[HEADING=3]Question 1: Why did you leave us, Frappe?[/HEADING]

Because my life isn't exactly peachy right now. Sure, it's not bad and I consider myself lucky for a lot of things that I do have ... but at the current moment, it's not smooth. My real life job is stacking hours onto me, where I only get 1 day off and i'm working over 50+ hours to pay for bills. I live with my parents, so it's not too difficult, but here in California- things are expensive. As much as I would of loved continuing to try helping the website, i'm too drained. Had to leave an RP I was in, and abandon a few projects, just to make sure I didn't shut down on anyone. So case in point, my job is really demanding for my attention.

[HEADING=3]Question 2: Why didn't you live up to your promises, Frappe?[/HEADING]

I admit, some things were my fault. I shouldn't of gotten people's hopes up (especially my own) in fixing the website. I merely assumed with my power and access to the control panel, I could keep this place up. Sadly, I am not a tech expert and to have actual people like Kross here ... would require money. No one is usually willing to work for free, and Defy refused my numerous e-mails and calls (yes, phone calls) to allow me in saving this website. If they allowed me full control of the panel and allowed me to edit / change things, surely this website would have protection against the bots along with functional commands. Again, sadly, I do not have that access and despite trying everything I could ... I failed my community. I promised you guys that I would solve the problems, but I only left you all in the dark. It would be like going up to your child and saying Santa isn't bringing any presents this Christmas, because in truth, you couldn't afford those presents. That was the gut punch I felt when I couldn't do anything to help you guys. I'm sorry.

[HEADING=3]Question 3: Does this mean we'll never see you again, Frappe?[/HEADING]

Maybe not here, on The Escapist ... however, I do hold other accounts on multiple websites. If you want to befriend me or stay in touch for whatever reason, I do have a Steam [http://steamcommunity.com/id/CaramelFrappe/] account with the same username. I also play on the Xbox One and PS4, with an online membership (you'll have to PM me if you want my username for those). I even have a Discord account (The Dark Soul#3686) if you guys want to hit me up there. While I am messaged daily by numerous people, sometimes I stay quiet because i'm just trying to enjoy my time alone. Odd thing to say, but sometimes isolation is what brings me peace, sometimes.

[HEADING=3]Question 4: So are the rumors about you true, Frappe?[/HEADING]

Depends, most likely they are. One rumor about me is that I was greedy for badges, and only acted kind in order to get what I wanted. Not going to lie like I said, for my original intent was to collect as many Escapist badges as possible. When I first joined The Escapist, I loved the design + layout of this place. The badges caught my attention, and noticed how people treated one another depending on their reputation. I did nearly everything I could to get my hands on those, even if it meant I had to sometimes kiss @$$ for it. Did I act kind to get what I wanted? Yes and no, for in real life ... i'm pretty nice. I do have manners, and I try to be selfless. I just kicked it up a notch on here to stand out. People called me out on it, and while I wanted to bite their heads off ... it wasn't professional. It wasn't good to snap for it would ruin my reputation, so I had to keep calm at all times.

Didn't always work, but I managed to succeed for the most part. Overtime, I realized my behavior was kind of, disgusting. After having all the best badges, I didn't feel as great anymore. With such a big reputation, I noticed people looked up to me and kept complimenting me. Wanting to actually become a better person, I tried taking criticism to heart and changing myself. Wasn't easy, it never is ... but in time, I was accepted even by those who weren't fond of me and I became attached to this place not because of the badges, but because of the people- you guys. I stayed and tried to make it better because I wanted everyone to enjoy it just as much as I did.

[HEADING=3]Question 5: Did you read any of our posts in this thread, Frappe?[/HEADING]

Every single post, yes. Seeing how people remember me for the good and bad bits, makes me happy. It's kind of like experiencing nostalgia, with how many years passed by. While it was, pretty pathetic of me to simply slip into the shadows without saying goodbye to anyone, I didn't want to make a scene. So many have already declared the website doomed, that I didn't want to add fuel to the fire. At the same time, I needed to focus on my life and not get distracted with trying to make projects work when I can't even code the darn articles properly. With that said, you guys also have my apology for not even telling any of you farewell.

[HEADING=3]Question 6: I've got things to say / ask you, Frappe![/HEADING]

Go right ahead. I won't hide or lie about anything ... ask if you insist. I'll be here, reading whatever else you guys have to say. Just wanted to thank you all again for making my time here well spent, and I appreciate you guys a lot. Very much so, actually, because this website helped me through some rough times. Hopefully, you guys are getting through without much problem as well.
Didn't know you had a PS4.

Go play doki doki literature club. It's the new katawa shoujo.
Except the only person you should be dating is Monika.