What Has Nintendo Done Right Lately?

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
144 said:
I think Yahtzee (and a bunch of forum posters who know who they are) need to revisit Yahtzee's own Gears of War 2 review, and ask if a game needs to blow the world away with innovation to be good.
Found it! He did touch again on Gears of War 2 during his review of the third instalment.

I remember being kind to Gears of War 2 but I honestly can't remember why. I think at the time I was trying to meet it halfway, on the assumption that the waist-deep pool of scummy brown water shooters had devolved into was something I was going to have to live with.

To elaborate, I can't remember much about Gears of War 2 at all, despite playing it through to the end. I remember a bit carrying a box, and a bit where you go inside a giant worm, which probably still wins the prize for most Freudian moment in the entire series and that's saying a lot, considering the main characters ongoing chainsaw vasectomy side-clinic business. But I couldn't tell you how it fitted into the alpha male, tyre swing, cock slapper looser.

But in final analysis a game can't be good if the moment you put it down your brain balls up everything to do with it and tosses it into your mental junk drawer, so that everything I remember a year on is so much brown noise. A big sweating blurred together lump of head scarves and steroids.
Also eating 14 slices of pizza in under two hours isn't the smarted thing to do no matter how hungry you are.

144_v1legacy

Apr 25, 2008
Ed130 The Vanguard said:
144 said:
I think Yahtzee (and a bunch of forum posters who know who they are) need to revisit Yahtzee's own Gears of War 2 review, and ask if a game needs to blow the world away with innovation to be good.
Found it! He did touch again on Gears of War 2 during his review of the third instalment.

I remember being kind to Gears of War 2 but I honestly can't remember why. I think at the time I was trying to meet it halfway, on the assumption that the waist-deep pool of scummy brown water shooters had devolved into was something I was going to have to live with.

To elaborate, I can't remember much about Gears of War 2 at all, despite playing it through to the end. I remember a bit carrying a box, and a bit where you go inside a giant worm, which probably still wins the prize for most Freudian moment in the entire series and that's saying a lot, considering the main characters ongoing chainsaw vasectomy side-clinic business. But I couldn't tell you how it fitted into the alpha male, tyre swing, cock slapper looser.

But in final analysis a game can't be good if the moment you put it down your brain balls up everything to do with it and tosses it into your mental junk drawer, so that everything I remember a year on is so much brown noise. A big sweating blurred together lump of head scarves and steroids.
Also eating 14 slices of pizza in under two hours isn't the smarted thing to do no matter how hungry you are.
Thanks for finding that. Right. He says they all blur together. But I wonder, in the context of itself, i.e., if Yahtzee wasn't forced to always play shooters, would GoW be more memorable to him? I wouldn't know. I should play it. I don't finish a videogame a week, or even close, and all the Zeldas are unique experiences that vary like night and day. To him, it's a blur of green character and pink princess. On a another note, innovation is something that AAA's usually attempt through new IP's, rather than their most reliable licenses, lest they hurt their safety nets.

Gerishnakov

Jun 15, 2010
Despite starting out as a Nintendo fan boy, many moons ago, I have now reached the point where I would be quite happy to see the next Zelda console release on Xbox and Playstation, even PC. It's telling that the only reason I even own a Wii is to play my collection of Zeldas.

IrisNetwork

Sep 11, 2013
On hindsight, Nintendo really isn't good at doing other than games. Remember when they made TV shows and movies?

Stealth

Apr 14, 2012
"I think the conclusion we reached is that Nintendo as a dedicated creator of games hardware are losing their footing in a world where gaming preference leans more and more towards multi-function devices"

So the 3DS which has sold 40 million units in less than 3 years is loosing their footing?

http://www.metacritic.com/game/3ds/the-legend-of-zelda-a-link-between-worlds Average review "91". Yep, A Link Between Worlds is nothing but bad nostalgia right? It could not possibly be a good game......

In 2013, Nintendo sold the most hardware globally, they also sold the most software globally, they also had the highest reviewed games, and generally were named publisher of the year by many major publications.

I am not sure what more people want of them.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Stealth said:
I am not sure what more people want of them.
I just want them to have games I want to play. I like everything else about nintendo, especially the fact that they still design consoles to be played by groups, in the same room. I'll get a WiiU as soon as it gets a couple of games I need to play; a Dawn of War, a Fallout, a GTA, or they could surprise me with something new and interesting like an RPG with a dungeon master & players.
But honestly, considering I need to have a pc anyway, I'm closer to buying the WiiU than I am to buying a ps4 or xbone.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Mcoffey said:
Spoilers son! I haven't played MGR yet.
I dont think they'd lose as many as you think they will. And even if they did, considering the Steam user base is significantly larger than the WiiU user base they'd probably get those numbers back quickly, if their work was up to snuff. Plus there's the other consoles too. No need for exclusivity, the more people who get to enjoy the better, Steam's just my preferred distribution platform.
There's not much to spoil when you're against a candidate for presidential election who uses nanomachines cheaply.

Also the games been out since last for over a year no and on Steam itself since Jan.

You're also heavily implying Nintendo will simply forget about their promise of not going third party, that they'll drop the 6 million Wii U owners at the drop of a hat to pander to another crowd and without thinking it will negatively hurt them and their image in the process.

But then again it's not like them Steam users give a flipping fuck for anyone but themselves, thus proving how incredibly selfish some gamers can be.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Mcoffey said:
Shadow-Phoenix said:
Mcoffey said:
Spoilers son! I haven't played MGR yet.
I dont think they'd lose as many as you think they will. And even if they did, considering the Steam user base is significantly larger than the WiiU user base they'd probably get those numbers back quickly, if their work was up to snuff. Plus there's the other consoles too. No need for exclusivity, the more people who get to enjoy the better, Steam's just my preferred distribution platform.
There's not much to spoil when you're against a candidate for presidential election who uses nanomachines cheaply.

Also the games been out since last for over a year no and on Steam itself since Jan.

You're also heavily implying Nintendo will simply forget about their promise of not going third party, that they'll drop the 6 million Wii U owners at the drop of a hat to pander to another crowd and without thinking it will negatively hurt them and their image in the process.

But then again it's not like them Steam users give a flipping fuck for anyone but themselves, thus proving how incredibly selfish some gamers can be.
Nintendo had no problem abandoning audiences before when a different one is willing to pay more money for less work, as we saw with the Wii. They're used to it. And that's good! A business should go where the money is, which, in this case, is far away from the WiiU.

I don't know why you're talking about Steam users as if I'm all of them (You know I'm not, right?). And despite that what I'd like would be bringing more games to more people, I'm selfish? It's okay, I am. Being selfish about something you're spending money on is a good thing. Except charity, I guess. Nintendo isn't a charity, they want my money so I get to be a little selfish. I don't care about Nintendo because they're a company that I have no personal stake in (And neither do you, probably).
I'll never understand people who clearly never cared nor wanted to support a company yet want and desire them to change because they want them to.

I never said you were all of Steam, in fact I've just been on the Steam forums to check that good old "PC vs consoles" "valve vs origin" threads to find that indeed nothing has changed, people on there still think exactly the same.

I really cannot imagine you taking it really well if suddenly your favourite hardware manufacturer or supported product suddenly got the shaft or you getting completely shafted for someone else (by someone else I mean other people just in case you didn't get that like my last implication), if you do then congrats you're incredibly laid back and are willing to get stepped on when getting the shaft, can't exactly tell all of us to just chillax and say "that's business", in fact you'd end up pissing off a good chunk of the world if you said that every time something shitty happened for bad reasons.

The last thing I'd want like others is to buy s Wii U, get the shaft and people on Steam getting rewarded for not moving a bloody inch and actually supporting Nintendo in the first place, that's what I heavily dislike, people not doing anything and wanting everything to come to them while original supporters get the shaft.

windlenot

Archeoastronomist
Mar 27, 2011
Figure I might as well toss my two cents in here. Now, the newest Nintendo game I've played was Brawl, and probably Melee before that. What I'm saying is that I don't care about Nintendo and Nintendo sure as hell doesn't seem to care about me. I'm not invested in Nintendo's big IPs, nor the other exclusives it tosses for its system. Wonderful 101, Bayonetta 2 (whenever that'll be) or anything else don't really do anything for me. So why should I care about them? As an outside spectator, I'm genuinely baffled with how defensive Nintendo supporters are.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Mcoffey said:
but I'd at least understand if they were bleeding money like Nintendo is.
Still allowing them to step on you regardless.

Mcoffey said:
They'd piss some people off, but they'd be a few faint cries in the wind compared to the much larger group of people excited to play Zelda or Mario on a platform that's relevant.
Again fuck those other people logic, relevancy is somehow now dictated by those on Steam now I';d guess, does that mean all of you guys are now in control of all gaming as it is? (obvious question with an obvious answer and I already know it but I just want to see for shits and giggles)
Mcoffey said:
All five of you may have supported them recently, sure. You just didn't support them very well, again considering their money loss.
That's nice of you to summarise 6 million into 5 people like some sort of an insult (I've seen that thrown aroun d alot recently and it's not funny, even if being serious, it's just not), I'm not even a Wii U owner yet I'm magically included as one of those 5 people in the entire world!.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
IrisNetwork said:
On hindsight, Nintendo really isn't good at doing other than games. Remember when they made TV shows and movies?

Nintendo contracted DIC Entertainment to produce that on the cheap. Nintendo approved it, but they didn't produce it.