What have happend to the MMORPGS?

Jasper Jeffs

Nov 22, 2009
One Hit Noob said:
That is, if Final Fantasy 14 cleans itself up.
I like it the way it is, the only thing I'd like changing is the combat system, which they're working on currently. Everything else I'm okay with, even the grind. I'm yet to reach end-game so I can't really comment there. I'm not so bothered about it at the moment I'm enjoying the game just levelling.

LostAlone

Sep 3, 2010
Practically all MMOs are built from a similar tool kit and thats why they are boringly similar.

The plot is always moot, because you are doing these world saving things along side a bajillion other people, which kills the individual feel. You never have a chance to change anything or do anything unique.

To be honest, the plot thing is the killer to me. Not all games can be wonderfully innovative with mechanics, but a good plot makes up for it. But MMOs don't have plots, they have fetch quests and kill quests and not much else, and no matter how you mix that up you never feel like you achieve anything in a plot sense.

So basically you are left with the mechanics of it, and they almost all follow the 'trees of abilities and unlocks' approach, which makes things very dull to me. You just press the keys and stuff happens. You find equipment, and you use it *shrug*. And they are all exactly like that.

The only genuinely different MMO is Eve Online (which I've played on and off for years) and while it is definitely different, it'll always be a very niche game that is grindingly hard to get into, and takes a well groomed sense of masochism to stay with.

What would get me interested in a new MMO would be something non-fantasy (which has been done to death and I never liked that much anyway) that offers me the chance to play solo if I want and the plot makes me wanna stay with it. I don't know what that means in practice, but I want a quality single player experience. Not just 'stuff to do while I level up' but something that actually makes me feel a part of something.

I'm thinking something like mass effect, and the MMO aspect is a squad based thing. A big universe and I can be a solo agent doing something, or part of a squad or part of an army. Dynamic scaling to the number of players you have wanting to play at any one time. I'd organize it so that you have big areas, that mostly just have NPC enemies (for both sides) and then people of either side can leave or not and it scales the number and relative strength of the NPCs balances out. Basically so that you have a reasonably fair fight all the time, and you can PvP or not, but even when you do, you always have back up. That'd mean that a newbie team could still fight against super veterans, and the NPCs help make up the difference. The vets get low level grunt back up, the newbies get smart, team focused dangerous NPCs. It'd still be an up hill fight, but I think you get what I'm saying. Maybe add a tactical role too, so someone can co-ordinate the NPCs.

That'd work for me. Maybe some kind of planetary war like in Planetside. A solo part that is say 15-20 hours long, at the end of which point you pick sides in the war, and then start fighting. The war can't truly be won, but there's a genuine back and forth, and even if one side is dominating, the game makes their stuff harder and harder until the others push them back.

Thats basically what I'd like to see. More sci-fi, more good solo parts, less 'level and class' kinda crap (seriously I hate it) in favor of a system more focused on equipment and your personal skill with it than stats vs stats stuff. Make it first person and shooty too. I hate how practically all the MMO have zero personal skill. Balance that out by never putting too many players vs each other so its not too death matchy in pvp.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
Muggizz said:
I want something where developers actually risk something to achieve a experience never done before.
Its risky enough to interpret an existing style. Ask mythic how their wowhammer experience is going. As for something new, massively single player didn't work out for spore very well. I only like single player games anymore, im far to old to deal with 14 year olds on the internet.

Why don't you hop on the Kingdom of loathing and give that a try?

LostAlone

Sep 3, 2010
Sober Thal said:
CCP is still alive and kickin. EVE Online is the God of all MMORPG's as far as I'm concerned. I never liked the WoW clone stuff.

EDIT: BTW, nice Avatar OP, Richard D James FTW

I agree with you that CCP know their business. Much as I'm a casual eve player these days (not got the time) they have built a genuinely unique and engaging game, and even though its not for everyone, they definitely have an adult experience.

I can't wait to see what they do with World of Darkness. I think they will have given it a similar treatment. That is, I have no idea what they'll have done, but I think it will be different from everything else, dark, atmospheric, player driven and all kinds of awesome. I really can't wait.

thiosk said:
Muggizz said:
I want something where developers actually risk something to achieve a experience never done before.
Its risky enough to interpret an existing style. Ask mythic how their wowhammer experience is going. As for something new, massively single player didn't work out for spore very well. I only like single player games anymore, im far to old to deal with 14 year olds on the internet.

Why don't you hop on the Kingdom of loathing and give that a try?
Yeah but most MMOs drastically fail as it is...

DanDeFool

Elite Member
Aug 19, 2009
LostAlone said:
Thats basically what I'd like to see. More sci-fi, more good solo parts, less 'level and class' kinda crap (seriously I hate it) in favor of a system more focused on equipment and your personal skill with it than stats vs stats stuff. Make it first person and shooty too. I hate how practically all the MMO have zero personal skill. Balance that out by never putting too many players vs each other so its not too death matchy in pvp.
You pretty much just described Battlefield: 2142.

It's a pretty old game, and there aren't many servers left running, but you might pick up the collectors edition and download the 1.51 patch if you want to give it a shot.

LostAlone

Sep 3, 2010
DanDeFool said:
LostAlone said:
You pretty much just described Battlefield: 2142.

It's a pretty old game, and there aren't many servers left running, but you might pick up the collectors edition and download the 1.51 patch if you want to give it a shot.
I never liked BF of any description to be honest.

But yeah, thats a good place to start thinking. Expand it into a full RPG world, with actual RPing and you're on to a winner in my books. Like I said about the mixing of Pvp and Pve so that everyone can join in and enjoy all sides of it. That'd get me really into it.

Sober Thal said:
Yeah, unless some new horse enters the race, CCP is by far the only company doing anything unique. Well I guess there is the Star Wars MMO...

World of Darkness has me really excited as well. White Wolf and CCP, two of my favorite companies in existence... mwahahahaha....

It would/could be amazing if they get WoD to work with the 'single shard' type servers that EVE uses. Everyone all in the same Vampire universe... it could be really good. I have doubts though. I look forward to hearing more info.

Also, I wonder if Dust 541 is ever going to be released. A console FPS to run side by side with EVE Online sounds really cool... in theory anyways.
Yeah, WoDO should be pretty amazing however they deal with it. I'm definitely expecting it to be FAR beyond the standard WOW clone, and definitely letting you create your own story, same as we all do in pen and paper WoD.

I'm not sure about Dust as of yet, but we'll see. I trust them to make it work, but I'm a little uncertain, just because I don't know how it fits in just yet.

Muggizz

May 24, 2009
Jasper Jeffs said:
Final Fantasy 14 is quite different from the normal MMO, lots of customisation and freedom.

Keep an eye on TERA as well.

<youtube=rfA6Pi5prE4>

It looks interesting, you need to actively aim and time your attacks and dodge your enemies, it's not down to a stat. It's not like other MMO's where you click a target, click a button and hit him. When you click a button on TERA, you'll just do a certain move in the direction you're facing.

I agree somewhat, MMO's are quite stagnant, but there's enough variety out there to keep things interesting. It's no different than the FPS genre.
Like bloodline champions but in a PvE enviorment? Sounds good acually. Hope they manage to pull it off.

EDIT: Have been looking into it and yes it actually looks promising. Offers something else than the tank and spank method on bosses, as well as something else than hotkey combat.

Zac Smith

Apr 25, 2010
I'm looking forward to Warhammer Dark Millennium Online. It's such a rich universe and I think with the right game mechanics it can make an excellent MMORPG

lostlambda

May 19, 2011
i think that the only reason that WoW is the dominate one is because of the massive ammount of money it takes to make them and look at Squareenix the company is now in suffering huge loses because of how much Final Fantasy XIV lost them

bombadilillo

Jan 25, 2011
People realized they could get the same skinner box operant conditioning "fun" from free things like farmville or that they'd wasted a lot of time running in place on WOW. Thank goodness that collapsed. The casual market will collapse soon as well.

Tetranitrophenol

Apr 4, 2010
this very website can help you answer your question:

Extra Credits:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/extra-credits/1906-The-Future-of-MMOs
ZP:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/2634-World-of-Warcraft-Cataclysm

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
Muggizz said:
thenamelessloser said:
Um.. look up Star Wars TOR, Best hope probably for a quality MMORPG. No real interest in it because I only like single player games though.
Yes yes i know about Star Wars TOR but to me it looks like nothing more than a hootkey MMO with no depth in it what so ever. I want something where developers actually risk something to achieve a experience never done before.
I played it at PAX East. Trust me, it has depth.

Not only that, but in case you forgot, the game has a huge risk- an actual story. A separate one for every class.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
Jdb said:
Phantasy Star Online is coming back. The sequel is alpha testing in Japan.
Joy :D

I saw the video. I hope it captures the feel of the first one, which it looks and sounds like it does.

bombadilillo

Jan 25, 2011
ZeroMachine said:
Muggizz said:
thenamelessloser said:
Um.. look up Star Wars TOR, Best hope probably for a quality MMORPG. No real interest in it because I only like single player games though.
Yes yes i know about Star Wars TOR but to me it looks like nothing more than a hootkey MMO with no depth in it what so ever. I want something where developers actually risk something to achieve a experience never done before.

Not only that, but in case you forgot, the game has a huge risk- an actual story. A separate one for every class.
So is it a single player game, with pvp?

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
bombadilillo said:
ZeroMachine said:
Muggizz said:
thenamelessloser said:

So is it a single player game, with pvp?
No, it's an MMORPG with story.

You can team up with people for story-based instances. There's dialogue and everything. I got to play one of said instances, and see the solo stuff.

It is your quintessential MMORPG as-made-by-Bioware. So it has branching dialogue trees and stories, along with everything you'd expect from an MMO.