What have the Halo games done for us?

Feb 13, 2008
Halo was the progenitor of the Console/PC war.

It set the tradition still followed today, and for that it's both loved and loathed.

Personally, I found it dull, uninspired and chock full of lens-flare; but some people liked it.

Mar 26, 2008
An good question, but it's really hard to answer. I think it was the primary reason I switched from playing PC games regularly to playing consoles.
The first time I played it, it felt incredibly fresh and it took me by surprised as to how good it was all-round. The campaign and the multiplayer were both different beasts and were both equally as great. Soon all my friends were buying Xboxes and we'd drag our TVs and consoles over to someone's house, system link them, buy several slabs of beer and pizzas and have an absolute riot til sunrise. Makes me all nostalgic to think of it. *tear*

Coldster

Oct 29, 2010
Halo 2 (the first Halo I played) is really the game that got me to be a gamer. I never played games that much beforehand anyways. Not to mention I was playing it on my friends Xbox just as the Xbox 360 came out and I was originally like: "Meh I wouldn't even know any games on it, I'm just going to buy the Wii instead because it has the brands I know, maybe a PS3 if I get the chance and maybe IF IT WEREN'T $699.99!!!! (at the time). Then I played Halo 2 (only singleplayer and split-screen with friends) and I truly thought I was a masterpiece and it influenced many of my friends to get an Xbox 360. So I just bought the console that my friends had so I could play Halo 3 with them (I finally did get the Xbox 360 just as Halo 3 came out because "surprise, surprise" the Wii didn't have many good games! (I only had SSBB, Twilight Princess, and Super Paper Mario). The Halo series has since influenced me, my friends, and the way I play games as well. I will never forget the hours of playing the campaigns, the multiplayer matches from Halo 3 and Reach, the near endless waves of enemies in Firefight, and the EXTREMELY FUN custom games matches we created on created maps in forge.

TL,DR: The Halo series was the most fun I have ever had with games. Period.

JackTheBannana

Aug 18, 2011
well if you ask me that damn 2 slots only thing and regenerating health.whoever came up with these idea should have a closet thrown at his face.but thats only my opinion

weker

May 27, 2009
Basically created regenerating health, and is also one of the best uses for it. It also Created the whole live experience we have today as well as furthering it for halo 3. Each Halo has added something that changed the genre and each still holds up really well. The game itself has a interesting lore more then a story, many try to pin average on it, but I think a large portion of them just don't like it because it's popular.

sheah1

Jul 4, 2010
Honestly if it wasn't for the the feather light feel of the shooting (which is fine, just not my thing, I need oomph) I'd play Halo a hell of a lot more than CoD or Battlefield. The Modern Warfare theme is just so boring, I can't be bothered at all.

Fidelias

Nov 30, 2009
zuro64 said:
binnsyboy said:
Well, they put the two weapon limit into common usage (some might argue that isn't that good a thing) and they're the only FPS I've seen where regenerating health actually makes sense.
+1
I know im nitpicking now, but it was actually the shield that was renenerating and you needed medkit to get full health again.

Also OT, Halo was the game that kinda made the whole "Space Marine FPS" ball rolling!
This.

Also, thank you for pointing out that when Halo first came out, the Space Marine thing was indeed a pretty new frontier for gaming.

I can't tell you how much I hate it when someone looks at one of the Halo games and says something like,
"OMG, it's just another game about macho space marines! Why don't they try anything original?"

The thing is, Halo was an awesome series. There was always some small change between each installment, but it kept the core of the series the same, and it was a LOT of fun.

But I'm probably not going to get the new games, except for curiosity's sake. I think the Master Chief's storyline is pretty much over. Anything after this will just seem stale. I'm not even sure they should continue making Halo games, but if they do, they should change the time period, or have you playing as something other than a Spartan, or make a different type of game. Maybe a third-person stealth game or something?

Edit: Also, to answer your question OT, Halo gave us Red vs Blue. For that alone it should be given a big goddamned medal!

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Oh someone took the time to construct a reasoned argument. Guess its only fair for me to respond in kind.
Cpu46 said:
gigastar said:
Strangely i can only think of bad things...

Introduced hundreds of thousands of 7 year olds to the glorious wonders of rapid-fire swearing down a microphone in a voice like nails on glass in such a way that even 10 years later those same [REDACTED][footnote]I did that instead of coming up with a decent insult, so shoot me. (gigastar)[/footnote] can still go back to having voices like nails on glass. And who are to this day putting people like me off ever playing console FPS's online again.
Arguably it was more the Xbox than Halo itself that brought the children. Consoles before then had always been aimed more at younger audiences who couldn't or chose not to use PC's for multiple reasons. The Xbox, being the first to have online play as a focus, was picked up by the tikes. The resulting shitstorm was inevitable, Halo just happened to be the major launch title.
Also, I find the players in the current Halo games to be much more sociable and nicer than the players in Call of Duty or Battlefield. But that just me.
Ill agree to that Halo being a launch title for the new-fangled multiplayer-focused Xbox then subsequently unleashing what, with the benefit of hindsight, could be called the worst social experience since Habbo Hotel, isnt nessesarily its fault, as i know the game was actually made for PC but was delayed by M$ for 2 years so they could port it to Xbox as a launch title.

Still even a perfect single player game like Portal can be turned down by people who fear its community more than the games actual content.
Popularised the two-weapon-inventory system, which later spawned the two-weapon-inventory-and-token-sidearm system.
The weapon system in Halo worked brilliantly with the combat system. The fact that subsequent games decided to use it too is not Halo's fault.
Again ill agree its not Halo's fault, but when developers start emulating certain ideas from big sellers in an attempt to covertly make a game feel alot like a "certain game player loves but is not actively thinking about right now" in order to sell as big as thier competitors do, the root of the blame has to fall somewhere.

Popularised the concept of regenerating health, which i wish could just be turned off for real men who like deflecting bullets with thier chins.
This one is a tough one. Halo had regenerating shields under which there were many squishy bits that required medpacks to heal. Halo 2 technically was the first one that had regenerating health. It had shields and a health bar that was not visible and the invisible hit points did regenerate once the shields started recharging. However I feel like most of the blame rests on Infinity Ward. Call of duty 2 had what we now know as regenerating health, with the screen turning red and the heartbeat and whatnot. It was released less than a year after Halo 2 and it is safe to say that the health regeneration was planned early in COD 2 development.
Indeed im aware that Halo infact uses 'shields' as a second health bar, but in game you would be lucky to survive longer than 20 seconds in the open with no shields, multiplayer or not.

And while it is true that CoD2 is the ur example of true regenerating health and B-B-B-BLOODY SCREEN (So Real...) its very difficult to say that CoD was popular at all before the first Modern Warfare.
Popularised sniper wars. Something i will hold against it to my grave and beyond.
Having one sniper rifle (Two if it was a CTF map) on a map can cause a sniper war? Unless you played a custom game then there should have been no such problem. Unless you mean Halo 3's shotgun/sniper online multiplayer mode.
Well as you said the generation that massively locked onto Halo was those of whom the voice had yet to mature. One agreement made between them all seperate from all the high-pitched squeals of rage and cluster F-bombs [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ClusterFBomb] flying as if Sahsa had been converted to fire them, was that playing with default settings got boring after a while.

Enter with custom games where you could make games however you wanted them to be like. And a CTF map quickly becomes a nightmare if nobody is pursuing the objective. As 2fort (in)famously demonstrated.

Again it could be put down to that Halo was the first widely available multiplayer shooter, but when people get ideas they like and a medium to pull it off with success in, said idea does not die as fast as it should before it moves to a new host game in which to perpetuate itself.

And i thought of another thing Halo gave us while writing this.

The definition of a triliogy as "Three installments and at least one spinoff, prequel or midquel".

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
simonw91 said:
Okay so I'm fairly new to the world of Space Marine FPS excitement but I've always been skeptical about people singing the praises of the Halo franchise, to me it just seems a touch bland and uninspiring to venture further into the whole sub-genre.

Anyways, what with the re-release of the original game and the announcement of Halo 4 way back in the year, I thought it might be interesting to start up a discussion a la the People's Front of Judea/Judean People's front/etc. of "What have the Halo games ever done for us?"
well for starts almost everything a modern FPS has done was more than likely takeing a page from halo.

exchange between two weapons, regenerating health (though halo does it to where its not annoying), matchmaking, forge, theater mode, customability, and really damn fun stories with a interesting yet mostly silent protagonist with a deeper history than the games let us know (but the books let us know, also the books are pretty good).

not to mention Bungie is probably the most user friendly developers on the market 9and by extension 343 industries which is the same thing)

the graphics are top notch and colorful, the controls are simple yet give the feel of free movement, the vehicles are always fun, and it spawn the funny series Red Vs Blue.

this is BESIDES the fact it made the console shooter what it is. I say it rivals Half-life as one of the best games and sci-fi universe in a game.

Note: halo wars isn't canon....and niether is Halo Legends.....niether happened....especially Legends *shudders*

p.s. i still think that Halo 1 is still doing everything better than 90% of todays shooters, the game has aged very well.

p.s.s I also forgot but halo has one of the BEST musical score you will EVER hear in a game, there is no way to turn it off but i have never heard anyone complain about it because it matches SO perfect. i even bought the sound track....YES IM A HUGE FANBOY! SO SUCK IT BLUES!!!...er i MEAN REDS....Er..Damn.... HATERS!...... FUCK!!!

Byere

Jan 8, 2009
Stein Inge said:
Brought peace?
I think there have been more arguments and pathetic *****-fights since the Halo franchise was released, even worse when Xbox Live and online PC play became available than over any other series of games... I'd hardly call that "bringing peace"

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
zuro64 said:
+1
I know im nitpicking now, but it was actually the shield that was renenerating and you needed medkit to get full health again.
Thank you. Finally someone remembers correctly that your health didn't regenerate. It equated to the same thing... sort of but has been misused and abused frequently since then.

Halo was great at raising the bar for quality. It is one of the most polished games in history. Whatever anyone says about it, the graphics are great and the control is flawless.

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
I remember hearing somewhere that they were one of the first to do something with controls on the Console that made modern FPS more possible or something.

OManoghue

Dec 12, 2008
It definitely taught developers how to tighten console controls, and set a high standard for functional net code and online service (Though I'm a TF2 man myself.)

The bad it did I find comes with things that made games easier (for me at least.) Recharging health, and weapon management really, really bug me. I like having HP as a manageable resource and carrying many guns means ammo is also a resource, in games with weapon management, the gun for the job is right there, all the time next to an ammo crate, and getting shot just means you can hide for a bit to sweat the bullets out. Stuff like medkits add tension, and making sure you don't waste all your rockets on foot soldiers, because there might be a robot later also adds another layer of tension.

DSK-

May 13, 2010
I'd have to say...making an FPS work on a console. For what it's worth, they did a good job.

Note: This is coming from someone who dislikes Halo a great deal :)

Jabberwock King

Mar 27, 2011
In addition to the many fine reasons that were given before me: One of only shooters these days that is not reliant on iron-sights and a Velcro based cover system, and usually has a refreshing color palette. I have to say though, the last levels in GoW3's campaign were a pleasant departure from its signature gray-brown shabby ruins.

IDS3Remix

Jun 10, 2011
ResonanceGames said:
IDS3Remix said:
Pretty much, everything Halo did right (i.e: vehicles and jetpacks), Starsiege: Tribes did better, and earlier, but do they get any recognition? *sigh...
Uh...what? Starsiege tribes did not have vehicles and Halo didn't have jetpacks until last year. Tribes was and is a great game though, no argument there.
Uh... You seriously don't remember suicide bombing people with this?

http://www.mobygames.com/images/shots/l/300917-starsiege-tribes-windows-screenshot-scout-vehicles.jpg

Sure the first game was limited to 3 vehicles, but the 2nd one had air and land vehicles. Though who cares? As soon as Halo came about, everyone might as well of forgotten that there were ever FPS games on the PC in the first place...

Xeldrak

Feb 8, 2011
Triple A said:
It proved shooters could work on a console.

The Xbox would not have been successful without it.

It became the template for the modern FPS.
For some reason I can't find anything positive in these three points....

Bvenged

Sep 4, 2009
Halo was the first game to successfully transfer the FPS trophy from PC to console where said trophy still remains today. It also pioneered in regenerative health, A maximum of 2 weapons at once, smart AI who would drive/gun for you & ranked multiplayer beyond splitscreen. It also offered us a new and exciting single-player that even today is more robust and entertaining in terms of diversity than competing grey modern military shooters so many developers are trying to make.

ResonanceGames

Feb 25, 2011
IDS3Remix said:
ResonanceGames said:
IDS3Remix said:
Pretty much, everything Halo did right (i.e: vehicles and jetpacks), Starsiege: Tribes did better, and earlier, but do they get any recognition? *sigh...
Uh...what? Starsiege tribes did not have vehicles and Halo didn't have jetpacks until last year. Tribes was and is a great game though, no argument there.
Uh... You seriously don't remember suicide bombing people with this?

http://www.mobygames.com/images/shots/l/300917-starsiege-tribes-windows-screenshot-scout-vehicles.jpg

Sure the first game was limited to 3 vehicles, but the 2nd one had air and land vehicles. Though who cares? As soon as Halo came about, everyone might as well of forgotten that there were ever FPS games on the PC in the first place...
By Jove's bulbous balls, I have no memory of that at all. But apparently I was wrong.