What have you learned today?

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010

Between 1993 and 2009, police in Germany, France and Austria found DNA from the same woman at 40 crime scenes, including 6 murders. It was believed she was a serial killer, and a reward of 300k Euros for information was offered.

Then they found out it was a woman working at the factory they got the cotton swabs for DNA testing from. Oops.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States

Between 1993 and 2009, police in Germany, France and Austria found DNA from the same woman at 40 crime scenes, including 6 murders. It was believed she was a serial killer, and a reward of 300k Euros for information was offered.

Then they found out it was a woman working at the factory they got the cotton swabs for DNA testing from. Oops.
Now to the REAL question: who got the 300K Euros???

But seriously, could you imagine how it could have gone for that poor woman: wakes up one day in yet another of her mundane, workaday life, shit-n-shower, get dressed for work, go downstairs for her fourth breakfast of toast and coffee that week, and right before her first sip of the waking nectar, a SWAT team kicks in her door, points a half dozen guns in her face while one straight-laced badge accuses her of 40 crimes, including 6 murders? That'd be one way to get a life's-worth of "WTF??" out the way in a few seconds.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
If you hung out in AOL chatrooms in the 90s, there was a non-zero change you were told to fuck off by Marlon Brando
Back when it was classic, talented actors telling you to go fuck yourself, instead of Matt Damon saying you're a pussy for not investing in NFTs.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States

@shaunhall960
7 days ago
I've felt for a long time that Amazon was a different kind of misery. My friend's bike shop was ruined by Amazon. People would come into his shop and test ride his bikes and than turn around and buy them from Amazon. The irony is now they don't have his bike shop to have their repairs done. I'm not sure what the solution is for us but it feels like we are just making one mistake after the other and being emotionally manipulated by our politicians.

Reactions: BrawlMan
Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States

Some people say they like the smell of gas. Never heard the same for ammonia.

Last edited:

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Ok, so I know in the 1830s, the British decided to get rid of ancient records (tally sticks and the like) which they'd had in parliament house for centuries, some dating back to the crusades, so they burned them and accidentally set fire to the building and destroyed it.

What I didn't know what that parliament house was where they kept the official measurements for feet and inches, and that was destroyed as well. They were able to (eventually) recreate it from copies, but it wouldn't be quite the same.

Reactions: gorfias
Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States

That Calvin Coolidge quite towards the end is on point.

More and more civilization…what a damn mess we’re making of things.
– Arthur Morgan

Additionally,

The irony is all this ambition for making things “better” and more “convenient” is ultimately going to royally fuck over the vast majority of people.

Last edited:
Reactions: gorfias
Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States

This basically sums it up nicely -
@pputra914
2 years ago
It’s fine to have high inequality as long as the poorest can afford quality education/health/food/shelter, etc. Inequality is not the problem, poverty is.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
I was sorry to see Quiznos go; for all their faults, they had some great sandwiches. Subway has never been able to match them in my book.
It’s not toasted but Firehouse Subs can be pretty good with their steamed meats. They also brought the King’s Hawaiian pulled pork sandwich back. Staff isn’t always the most consistent from one to the other though.