What have you learned today?

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Todaty I learned that Alex Winter, perhaps best known as Bill S. Preston, Esq. in the Bill & Ted movies, was also in The Lost Boys.

God, he even looks like Bill as a vampire. And not in the sense that Bill and this Vampire were both played by Alex Winter, but that a vampire bit Bill and turned him.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States

Reactions: gorfias

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
That over the last 25 years there has been 33 Nancy Drew video games.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States

Some good points in the comments too.

@WillpowerCinema 5 months ago
California is like one giant country club...you're either in the club...or you work to cater to those in the club.

@davinlarson8099 5 months ago (edited)
The countless tiny local governments are also partly why California’s public transportation is so bad. Facebook tried to get the Bay Area to reactivate an unused rail line near their offices. They gave up when they found out that 27 different government entities would have to be involved.

@DeviousDumplin 3 months ago
There was a plan to connect the Californian oil and gas pipelines to the rest of the country. But the state government banned the project as they argued it would 'harm the environment.' Which makes a certain amount of sense until you realize that large amounts of fuel is instead shipped by truck into California because the state is dependent on outside energy resources. This creates a very expensive and very carbon intensive petroleum market in California, ironically in the name of being carbon neutral.

@techno_tuna 5 months ago
I've always seen the old money in California. I grew up in different parts around socal, traveled and lived up north a few times end EVERYWHERE there's old and big money that refuses to allow change. I know California is viewed as incredibly liberal from the outside, and to some degree the state is. But more so it's a constant battle between old and new money, I've seen desalination plants shut down because it would hurt property value, I've seen cities make it illegal to feed the homeless. ive seen business plots go empty for years because the old heads didn't want more bars in their town. I've spoken to a hobby store owner who was warned about letting his customers get too "rowdy" playing magic lmao. We have to fight over everything and it doesn't stop for community or even family.

Last edited:

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Weird Al was assassinated in 1985! Such a shame, imagine how many amazing songs he could have written if his career wasn't cut so tragically short!

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States

@Apoc2K 5 months ago (edited)
Boomers: "Woah look at all the trees my ancestors left me! Who wants to buy lumber?!"

So you're going to plant new ones?

Boomers: "No, no handouts. Grow your own trees like I did."

Reactions: gorfias and Absent
Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
I suppose it’s bound to happen at some point -

Scary -

@flintsky7706
1 month ago
During the 2021 freeze in Texas, we were without power for +48hrs, some were without for much longer. In the first 24hrs, every gas station had run out of gasoline. There were lines of cars a mile long waiting to get gas at the few places that had it. People began fighting in line, no regard for each other. You could feel the tension. Every grocery store like HEB was empty. The shelves had nothing. When they restocked, people could only get one gallon of milk and one pack of meat per purchase. People began fighting over the food. It’s astounding that in such a short amount of time, society here was on the brink of collapse. This was 2 days of no power. Imagine a week?

So basically if SHTF it’s best to be as far away from people as possible, because when the dust settles the glorious human race itself will be the biggest threat. In a way there’s a certain amount of irony here, seeing as human ambition might very well be a direct cause of our undoing followed by human desperation as an even uglier effect.

Last edited:

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
I suppose it’s bound to happen at some point -
On a video not entirely dissimilar to this one, someone opined "you guys go ahead and stock up. I'll be by with my gun to take what's mine." I asked why he thought nobody else would have a gun. His response: "I'm pretty sure I have better gear than 90% of them so I'll be okay."

When the bad things go down, I hope I don't trip over what's left of him.

During the 2021 freeze in Texas, we were without power for +48hrs, some were without for much longer. In the first 24hrs, every gas station had run out of gasoline. There were lines of cars a mile long waiting to get gas at the few places that had it. People began fighting in line, no regard for each other. You could feel the tension. Every grocery store like HEB was empty. The shelves had nothing. When they restocked, people could only get one gallon of milk and one pack of meat per purchase. People began fighting over the food. It’s astounding that in such a short amount of time, society here was on the brink of collapse. This was 2 days of no power. Imagine a week?
Ever notice how many zombie movies like to portray zombies as the background threat and other humans as the real danger? It's because civilization is a game we all agree to play by the rules until our lives are threatened, and then all bets are off.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Ever notice how many zombie movies like to portray zombies as the background threat and other humans as the real danger? It's because civilization is a game we all agree to play by the rules until our lives are threatened, and then all bets are off.
Not saying your wrong, but you also have to consider that freeze came during the height of the pandemic, so it was a bit of a double-whammy strain on our collective sanity and reason, i.e.: 1.) we had to stay home, and 2.) home had become uninhabitable. I lived it; it wasn't a fun time. We ran out of firewood, and had to rely on the kindness of a dear friend to bring us loads of his own supply (which is substantial to say the lest; he normally keeps about 4 cords at the ready year-round.) But yeah, it doesn't take much beyond a mild inconvenience to prove out the savage in a lot of us.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker2

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
So basically if SHTF it’s best to be as far away from people as possible, because when the dust settles the glorious human race itself will be the biggest threat. In a way there’s a certain amount of irony here, seeing as human ambition might very well be a direct cause of our undoing followed by human desperation as an even uglier effect.
There's truth in that, but it depends on the community. A lot of people will work together in times in crisis. Now, it's vitally important to be seen as part of the community and not as an outsider, but if you are part of the community in a place that is community minded, things might not be so bad. If you are in a "hell with you, I got mine" place, you are in trouble even before the disaster hits.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker2