What have you learned today?

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
C15:0 fatty acid looks to be a cause of a quite a few things. One of the main sources of it is from fat in dairy so by removing fat from milk and cheese and other diary products, we've essentially screwed ourselves over. Although low fat stuff was already basically know to be worse for you.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Reactions: hanselthecaretaker2

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia

Yeah, really -

The whole “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” attitude is one of the biggest two edged swords in technology. In cases like this it works great, but there are just as many cases where it can come back to bite you as support expertise and spare parts run dry and you’re suddenly stuck with something your support teams treat like the monolith from 2001.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Apparently, during WW2, in Greece, due to mass deaths and people being hastily buried in mass graves, there were fears about Vrykolakas rising from the dead and attacking people, as that superstition still had lots of believers.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Landsburg was about four miles west of Mount St. Helens when it exploded, but the pyroclastic flow traveled so quickly that he barely had time to react before it reached him. In his final moments, Landsburg snapped a few stunning images of the approaching ash cloud, rolled up his film, and used his body to shield it from the heat.
... ok then. If only the rest of him was as steely as his balls, he might've survived.

Reactions: Worgen

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
During WW2, searchlights were used to illuminate enemy bombers, but this didn't work very well unless you had a radar or sound locator system to first tell a searchlight where in the sky to point. US bomber crews would throw empty beer bottles out of their planes, as they made a weird whistling sound when falling which confused sound locators.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I learned about "no sabo kids".

I knew about them (second/third gen Latinos who don't speak Spanish), I didn't know that's what we were calling them.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
TIL that Joe Rogan does stand up comedy. And is quite bad at it.
I saw him do standup live once, and yeah, he wasn't good. Not terrible, but certainly one of those comedians who leans heavily into just being vulgar over actually being funny. He ended his set with a very cringeworthy and graphic description of a video he saw titled titled "two men, one horse," which if you recall the 15-minutes of fame "two girls, one cup" enjoyed several years ago, you get he gist. His demographic is largely frat boys and thick-necked gym rats, i.e.: "low-brow" his a high bar for him.

I learned about "no sabo kids".

I knew about them (second/third gen Latinos who don't speak Spanish), I didn't know that's what we were calling them.
Proud "no sabo" here, I guess*; never heard that term, but I fit the description. My dad is from Panama, and he said he tried to teach me when I was younger, but he said I refused to learn. He said I got frustrated trying to learn other words for words I already knew. I took it in high school, however, and became functionally fluent; my senior year of high school, I took an AP course at The Ohio State University that was taught from day 1 in Spanish, but I could never hold a conversation with my dad speaking truly fluent, non-instructional Spanish. Came home one day and tried to engage my dad and his brother to show them how proud I was I could speak it, and they laughed, said I sounded like a "gringo." Went off to college and into the workforce where my Spanish atrophied almost immediately. I can still understand a lot of it, and using context can piece together intent, but speaking it, let's just say I'd need more than a few refresher courses to get back to where I once was.

*(Curious, is "no sabo kid" considered a derogatory term?)