What have you learned today?

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
The KLF were integral music to me in my youth, not to mention being the progenitor of one of my favorite bands to this day, *The Orb. So I was much surprised to learn...

TL;DW?

The KLF were intentionally an overt satire of [then] popular dance music. The pair started off with little to no inclination for music, but after witnessing others create with ease using sampling, started in on it for themselves. They literally had a formula for making hit songs that the masses ate up for years. They eventually burnt out on the industry and its lack of self-awareness that these "frauds" hadn't been called out after topping charts for so long. They just up and quit, and literally burnt $1,000,000 of their "earnings" as their farewell "fuck you."

*Alex Paterson was a DJ that The KLF ruthlessly and surreptitiously sampled [from his DJ sets] earning themselves the ostensible title as the creators of Ambient House music. Alex Paterson went on to start his own band (The Orb) who have since garnered their own reputation as godfathers of Ambient/Ambient House music.
I've read that one of the members came to regret that stunt of burning a million pounds, thinking that the money could have gone to better use.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I've read that one of the members came to regret that stunt of burning a million pounds, thinking that the money could have gone to better use.
Most likely. I mean, a million pounds has infinitely better uses than turning to ash in front of the eyes of an industry that cares little for whatever statement anyone wants to make about it. They were probably just so caught up in their subversive act (that had already gone too far) that they didn't think it through. Ironic that the inanity they were parodying bled into the act of parodying itself. I guess the music industry won in the end?

Despite the farce... "3am Eternal" is still a banger. KLF did indeed "rock me."

Reactions: Mister Mumbler

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
That using a sanding block is a pain in the arse. I’m very close to ruining the bevelling(?) or whatever they call the fancy edging on wood work because it took 30 minutes to properly sand about 6 inches worth of this fancy shit while my power sander is whispering “Deww Iiit” in my ears.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
If this turns out to hold up in future research, would've called it years ago, not from cleverness or anything respectable like that, but an extended period of isolated, rambling withdrawal off a research chemical (can't even Google what it was called anymore cause all results keep coming back with nothing but "FENTANYL!" "FENTANYL REDUX" "FENTANYL BEGINS!" "SHADOW OF FENTANYL!!" "FENTANYL RISES!" "FENTANYL BEYOND!" "FENTANYL INFINITY!" "FENT8NYL!" The algorithm has lost its goddamn mind.) and would like to unethically capitalise somehow of those psychic powers now. Hit me up, CIA: I harbour no, absolutely zero loyalty!

Hello and welcome! My name is Anton and in this video, we will talk about an unusual explanation of consciousness as a quantum effect...that actually now may have some proof after all

Links:
https://pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/acs....
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Models_...
#consciousness #quantum #penrose

0:00 Human consciousness and quantum mechanics
0:55 New study about tryptophan
1:30 Penrose proposes consciousness is quantum
3:30 But quantum states are difficult to produce
4:25 Stuart Hameroff explains it with microtubules and anesthesia
5:40 What is consciousness though?
7:20 Anesthesiology research is exciting
8:05 Tryptophan connection
9:25 Ok, microtubules - what are these?
10:35 Microtubules could be the source?
11:30 Disagreement with neuroscience