What have you learned today?

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
TIL there is an underground death metal scene in Botswana. They also developed their own metal fashion that is part Western metal fashion, part cowboy, and part tribal dress with masks and real animal bones and skulls (which I gotta say, is metal af).
At first glance I thought that was Dave Chapelle starring in a new Mad Max movie, but the reality is far more interesting. How did you find this out and who are the people pictured?

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
At first glance I thought that was Dave Chapelle starring in a new Mad Max movie, but the reality is far more interesting. How did you find this out and who are the people pictured?
Something I randomly came across on reddit. No idea who these people are, I think maybe just regular fans, or 'hellbangers' as they call themselves. They look dope.
Also found this website with more pics

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Something I randomly came across on reddit. No idea who these people are, I think maybe just regular fans, or 'hellbangers' as they call themselves. They look dope.
Also found this website with more pics
When cultural appropriation goes in the other direction and gets ramped up to 11. Take THAT, the White Man!

Reactions: Chimpzy

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Ahem:

To be clear though, that's 20th century polish composer and pianist Andre Tchaicowsky, not 19th century russian composer Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky (of "The Nutcracker" fame). Still, as someone with a great appreciation for the theatre, I find that bequeathal to be very cool.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Two things I learned while watching my family watch their various Korean media:

1. There's apparently a huge stigma against orphans in Korean culture. It was so bizarre to me. In the show, a dad reacted to his daughter's orphan boyfriend like you would expect a redneck father to react after learning his daughter invited her black boyfriend over for dinner. I guess the idea is that without parents, you don't grow up right? Just really weird. In my country, if you learned a person was so successful and educated despite being an orphan, you'd be hella impressed.

2. When they say "the fresh air will do you good" in Korea they really mean it, as the air in their cities can be dusty as hell, hence all the facemasks. So going to the countryside for some fresh air is genuinely for their physical health, not just another way of saying they need a break. I think the same could be said for Japan.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
1. There's apparently a huge stigma against orphans in Korean culture. It was so bizarre to me. In the show, a dad reacted to his daughter's orphan boyfriend like you would expect a redneck father to react after learning his daughter invited her black boyfriend over for dinner. I guess the idea is that without parents, you don't grow up right? Just really weird. In my country, if you learned a person was so successful and educated despite being an orphan, you'd be hella impressed.
That seems like a very Confucian thing, and it would be interested to see the extent to which it was shared across other historically Confucian countries. I know in both China and Japan there's a certain degree of traditional stigma around adoption, but I don't know if that also applies to orphaned children who grow up in care (although it seems like in China in particular a lot of children are orphaned due to HIV, which they may also have themselves, and there's obviously stigma around that).

Reactions: Bob_McMillan

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Two things I learned while watching my family watch their various Korean media:

I've heard the same thing about Japanese Culture. Being an orphan(or being adopted) is apparently like a big burden on the adopter. Which makes "Grave of the Fireflies" make a bit more sense though the kids are being a bit entitled in their own right.

Reactions: Bob_McMillan

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Don't forget an unkindness of ravens.

Which is pretty mean honestly. Ravens are ironically very altruistic among their own groups.
Well, considering crows are close relatives to ravens, and their group name is a "murder," I think "unkindness" is relatively lenient.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Today I learned that the newest model on The Price Is Right, Alexis Gaube...

1633104095018.png

...was also the facial model for Jade in Mortal Kombat 11.

1633104203550.png

I also learned that it's possible to think of nothing but sex while watching wholesome, family programming. Seriously, my thoughts are pretty depraved...

1633104151178.png 1633104294556.png

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
So I didn't watch Riverdale aside from the first episode, because it struck me as yet another goddamn high school drama that I can't fucking bring myself to care about, just like I didn't care much for high school(and to be fair, saying "takes place in school" is almost guaranteed to make me bail for something else with VERY few exceptions). However, apparently the show went......fucking insane after the first season. And after watching this I honestly can't decide if I bailed way to early or should be thankful I got out before I invested way too much time into it.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
So I didn't watch Riverdale aside from the first episode, because it struck me as yet another goddamn high school drama that I can't fucking bring myself to care about, just like I didn't care much for high school(and to be fair, saying "takes place in school" is almost guaranteed to make me bail for something else with VERY few exceptions). However, apparently the show went......fucking insane after the first season. And after watching this I honestly can't decide if I bailed way to early or should be thankful I got out before I invested way too much time into it.
I have a theory that Riverdale is just a weird ploy to torture a group of actors. Like, they committed some crime in the past and now they have to appear on this show White Bear style.

It is the most atrocious, awful, insulting show I have ever seen, and it is incredibly funny. Also, the cast obviously hates it, and that just makes it so much better.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
How to slide off the PS5's plates. It took me 30 minutes to slide them off, and back on.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Today I learned that when Jormy (the nickname I gave the serpent in God of War) spits out the Leviathan Axe, it imbues Eitr to the weapon. Eitr being the Norse gods' version of kryptonite. I think vaguely remember seeing this in the weapon's information in my inventory, but I never noticed that you get a popup notification during the cutscene. Very cool.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
That a way to skip the barrier in Windwaker SD was discovered, like, two years ago, and since then a second even better skip has been found. Wow, and everybody thought it was impossible and now there's two methods! WW can now be beaten in under an hour.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
TIL there was once a Steven Seagal branded energy drink. There was at least one ad for it. It is the best kind of cringe.

Reactions: Dalisclock

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

Shamelessly, I’ve only watched because of the redhead with big boobs. Wifey teases whenever she’s on and showing cleavage so I don’t waste the better part of an hour at least.