Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I learned Ken Jeong is a Licensed Doctor. Which is cool, but I noticed him from watching Community(which I'm still working through) and seeing him play Ben Chang is a weird disconnect between the actor being a doctor. It's one of those "Actor is not the character" moments I didn't really consider before, though honestly I would really fucking hope he was nothing like his character on community.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Today I learned a whole new level of disturbing -

Top comment -

Luke Lamb 2 months ago
To the person reading this I wish you the best and hope you understand McAfee did not kill himself....

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Steven Segal is made of ultra-condensed cringe. Apparently he mandated in (almost) all his movies that his character be the "perfect human"- flawless and undefeatable.
Yeah, apparently he had a right old whinge when it was revealed to him his character in Executive Decision was going to die.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Not something I learned so much as realized, but when my late grandfather insisted I (a 10 year old at the time) wear a suit on the plane ride to the US, it was because he lived in a time where our people had a hard time being taken seriously by foreigners. I always thought back then that he was just being a stickler old man who thought kids these days were too damn funky. I miss him, I think he and I would have agreed on more things than I thought.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

AnxietyProne

Elite Member
Jul 13, 2021
Country
United States
When you reach a certain age in life, your blood pressure will just do whatever teh fuck it wants regardless of your input otherwise.

Steven Segal is made of ultra-condensed cringe. Apparently he mandated in (almost) all his movies that his character be the "perfect human"- flawless and undefeatable.
I got three words for Segal

JUDO
JEAN
LABELLE

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
When you reach a certain age in life, your blood pressure will just do whatever teh fuck it wants regardless of your input otherwise.

I got three words for Segal

JUDO
JEAN
LABELLE

That should be 'Gene', not 'Jean'. Like Gene Roddenberry or Gene Hackman. Otherwise yeah, Segal's a blowhard par excellence and its always nice to hear him taken down a peg. With that in mind, and God this is gonna make me feel dirty, his skill at Aikido is genuine. And in his heyday I would not have wanted to tangle with him.

I'd want to tangle with Gene Labelle a lot less though.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
In the AI revolution there are three primary groups that you should look out for. Governments who control most of the lethal drones right now/hardware, the rich who own most of the software, and the AI itself.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
To my deep aggravation, although it was my own fault, I have learned about
the twist ending to No Time to Die

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
To my deep aggravation, although it was my own fault, I have learned about
the twist ending to No Time to Die
Yup, same here. Goddamit you guys, label your spoiler tags! But really, totally my own fault. Although considering I would have had to wait for the digital release to watch the movie, I inevitably would have been spoiled anyway.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Yup, same here. Goddamit you guys, label your spoiler tags! But really, totally my own fault. Although considering I would have had to wait for the digital release to watch the movie, I inevitably would have been spoiled anyway.
Mine has a cinema release in about a month. And that assumes some idiot/group of idiots doesn't cause another lockdown in the meantime.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Mine has a cinema release in about a month. And that assumes some idiot/group of idiots doesn't cause another lockdown in the meantime.
Hope you're able to watch it. I'm afraid it'll be next year before we can even consider theaters here.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I learned Ken Jeong is a Licensed Doctor. Which is cool, but I noticed him from watching Community(which I'm still working through) and seeing him play Ben Chang is a weird disconnect between the actor being a doctor. It's one of those "Actor is not the character" moments I didn't really consider before, though honestly I would really fucking hope he was nothing like his character on community.
Yep, he's a general practitioner. It was hard for me to wrap my head around that fact and that he's also Mr. Chow, the drugged-out and offensively stereotypical Asian kingpin in The Hangover films. Not sure if he has an active practice or not, though; I imagine it'd be difficult to manage a medical practice AND demanding acting schedules.

EDIT: just checked; it appears he "used to" have a practice, so yeah, acting and comedy are his bread and butter now.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
I learned that Peter Jackson is out of his fucking mind. You'd have to be to think so much grain-reduction and sharpening looks good.

Like a digital painting. Get Back is an easy pass for me now. Not the first time either. His Lord of the Rings 4K masters have less detail in a lot of the softened shots.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Due to a warped understanding of military tactics by Enver Hoxha there are about 173,371 military bunkers in Albania, with little overall tactical value.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
I learned that Peter Jackson is out of his fucking mind. You'd have to be to think so much grain-reduction and sharpening looks good.
I'm reminded of the utterly horrible job of colorizing old black-and-white films Ted Turner did early on, when techniques were really not up to the job. Just look what he would've done to Citizen Kane:

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland

Like a digital painting. Get Back is an easy pass for me now. Not the first time either. His Lord of the Rings 4K masters have less detail in a lot of the softened shots.
WTF am I even looking at?

The bottom shots look really fucking fakey and just wierdly uncanny.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Yep, he's a general practitioner. It was hard for me to wrap my head around that fact and that he's also Mr. Chow, the drugged-out and offensively stereotypical Asian kingpin in The Hangover films. Not sure if he has an active practice or not, though; I imagine it'd be difficult to manage a medical practice AND demanding acting schedules.

EDIT: just checked; it appears he "used to" have a practice, so yeah, acting and comedy are his bread and butter now.
I'm gonna admit I barely remember the Hangover films. I saw the original once and enjoyed it well enough. Watched the sequel and realized I wanted someone to throttle Alan. The only part of the 2nd film I actually enjoyed was Ed Helms singing his own take on Allentown(also because I like that song for some reason). Didn't bother with number 3. I vaguely remember an Asian guy but honestly not much more then that.

Reactions: Xprimentyl