What have you learned today?

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Now the question is: from which direction did you come upon (no pun intended) this information? Like, were you Googling stuff about noodles and "surprise," or... y'know.
It was from a cooking video on YouTube. Host was saying there was another name for the dish but he didn't want to get demonetized. Naturally I went, "it's bukakke isn't it?". Then came the googling and wikipedia.

Fun fact, wikipedia seems to have a very devoted artist who makes renditions of numerous sex acts. At least, it looks like it's just one person. Must have a lot of time on their hands.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
It was from a cooking video on YouTube. Host was saying there was another name for the dish but he didn't want to get demonetized. Naturally I went, "it's bukakke isn't it?". Then came the googling and wikipedia.

Fun fact, wikipedia seems to have a very devoted artist who makes renditions of numerous sex acts. At least, it looks like it's just one person. Must have a lot of time on their hands.
Yeah, without going into detail, I've seen a couple of Wikipedia's depictions of sex acts, so I know exactly what you're talking about.

That said, a part of me wants to go to a Japanese restaurant and order "bukkake" just to see the nervously childish energy from the waiter/waitress. Another part of me is horrified that my order would be four chefs waddling out of the kitchen with their pants around their ankles. The last part of me wants to say I ordered "bukkake" at both a restaurant and a massage parlor in the same afternoon... meaning I'd order the latter, but I don't actually want it (how do you send bukkake back to the kitchen?) But it makes for an interesting highlight for my inevitable eulogy either way.

Last edited:

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I have learned that since becoming a parent I am a very easy emotional mark for films and television that does a child in peril. It just reaches past the parts of my brain that enjoys media and grips a more primal part and makes me respond more emotionally than I would normally.

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
Ha! Sorry, had to jump on that one. Any opportunity to bring up the creampie discussion from IASIP has to be taken advantage of ASAP.
Oh, I'm not mad as it both saved me the trouble and let me post a bit of one of my favorite Monty Python bits. So in spirit, here are the outtakes to the cream pie scene.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I have learned that since becoming a parent I am a very easy emotional mark for films and television that does a child in peril. It just reaches past the parts of my brain that enjoys media and grips a more primal part and makes me respond more emotionally than I would normally.
I've noticed that a lot more lately. Fuck, the whole SNAP in Avengers got me indirectly because I realized there would be literally millions of families who would lose their kids, kids losing their parents, and any combination of those. Especially the idea of your child just vanishing into thin air and having no clue what or why it happened. That was worse then anything shown on screen.

I can kind of see why Marvel never bothered to show the 5 years between Infinity War and Endgame, because it would have been nightmarish for most of humanity. I'm honestly shocked there was much left of society left by the time Endgame rolled around.

Though on the opposite sides, some media leans heavily on this and it can come across as pandering and manipulative when done poorly. "Hey, this child is in danger. Cry now".

Last edited:

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I can kind of see why Marvel never bothered to show the 5 years between Infinity War and Endgame, because it would have been nightmarish for most of humanity. I'm honestly shocked there was much left of society left by the time Endgame rolled around.
They keep referencing it though. At least, in the last 3 of the 4 post-Endgame movies. I think we'll probably see more of it in the Disney+ shows.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
They keep referencing it though. At least, in the last 3 of the 4 post-Endgame movies. I think we'll probably see more of it in the Disney+ shows.
I admit I haven't seen any of the movies after endgame yet. I really should since I have Disney + but none of the movies have looked that interesting. Falcon and the Winter Soldier apparently goes into it but i kind of lost interest after the first episode because I don't care much about Bucky or Falcon.

Mister Mumbler

Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
Never seen that. Fucking GOLD. Thank you.
No problem. It should be noted that all bloopers for IASIP are top notch with jokes that are sometimes better than what went to broadcast (but couldn't be used due to all the actors falling over themselves laughing) and should be sought out. Also, don't know if you knew already, but they revealed the release date and the trailer for the new season.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
No problem. It should be noted that all bloopers for IASIP are top notch with jokes that are sometimes better than what went to broadcast (but couldn't be used due to all the actors falling over themselves laughing) and should be sought out. Also, don't know if you knew already, but they revealed the release date and the trailer for the new season.
December 1st, we get season 15, and I can't wait. My girlfriend won't watch (on Hulu ) with me, but when this season comes out, she can kiss my ass; I'm watching. She can go cheat on me or vacuum, whatever women do when not in the presence of their spouse; I'm watching season 15.

Reactions: Mister Mumbler

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland

Military history can be darkly amusing sometimes. The battle of Samar in WW2 is perhaps a great take on this, where a handful of US destroyers managed to hold off a far superior Japanese Navy Task force(including Battleships) partially through sheer Audacity, partially though Japanese incompetence and partially through unintentional confusion(where the US navy acted in such an aggressive and surprising way, out of desperation, that the IJN continually kept holding back instead of just curb stomping a vastly inferior force)

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Never watch the show 13 Reasons Why.

That is all.

Now to change the subject-

It’s only mice but still pretty damn cool.

Wintermute

Elite Member
Apr 25, 2020
Pindorama
So I have a habit of clicking random shit on youtube to see where it takes me, and this is a (epic!!!!11!!!) sport that exists in Australia, apparently:

Seriously though I wouldn't mind seeing this in the olympics.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
So I have a habit of clicking random shit on youtube to see where it takes me, and this is a (epic!!!!11!!!) sport that exists in Australia, apparently:

Seriously though I wouldn't mind seeing this in the olympics.
Apparently Australians feel like the country hasn't been working hard enough in trying to kill them lately, and are lending it a hand.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland

The Catholic Church(Specifically, the pope) at the once dug up a dead pope(Pope Formosus, one of the previous popes), put him on trial(putting his corpse on the stand) and when, Surprise, Surprise, he was found guilty, his body was thrown into the Tiber River. The modern church wisely does not talk about this much and this was considered a bit of a dick move even at the time. There was also a rule made about not digging up corpses to put them on trial, because you know, common decency isn't enough for some people.

Mayor Quimby said:
Can't we end one meeting without digging up a corpse?

Last edited:

Mister Mumbler

Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States

The Catholic Church(Specifically, the pope) at the once dug up a dead pope(Pope Formosus, one of the previous popes), put him on trial(putting his corpse on the stand) and when, Surprise, Surprise, he was found guilty, his body was thrown into the Tiber River. The modern church wisely does not talk about this much and this was considered a bit of a dick move even at the time.
Ok, that was a rather funny read (especially towards the end where everyone is tripping over themselves giving the corpse appeals/rescinding appeals), but my favorite bit is probably the idea of an 'antipope'. Well, less the idea, and more that the name 'antipope' sounds a lot like 'antipasto'.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Ok, that was a rather funny read (especially towards the end where everyone is tripping over themselves giving the corpse appeals/rescinding appeals), but my favorite bit is probably the idea of an 'antipope'. Well, less the idea, and more that the name 'antipope' sounds a lot like 'antipasto'.
Diner: "I would like the anti-pope"
*Waiter takes the menu, crossing out Antipope and writing AntiPasto*
Diner: *Sigh*"I guess I'll have the anti-pasto"

That does remind me there were 3 popes(as in a the pope, an anti-pope and another anti-pope also claiming to be the real pope) at one point in history, because religion can be weird sometimes. Though at the time this was Serious Business.